ImageImage

Too Early 2012 Draft Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Re: Too Early 2012 Draft Thread 

Post#81 » by emunney » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:12 am

I figured he was talking about Jarvis Jones.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#82 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:39 am

emunney wrote:I figured he was talking about Jarvis Jones.

+1
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,949

Post#83 » by RiotPunch » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks guys.

Nick Perry will be declaring for the draft. I like him quite a bit.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#84 » by emunney » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:36 pm

I guess we have to draft four more tackles.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#85 » by RiotPunch » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:59 pm

Konz, Wagner, Zeitler and Oglesby, imo.
#FreeChuckDiesel
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#86 » by midranger » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:18 pm

Jerell Worthy please.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#87 » by RiotPunch » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:22 pm

Love Worthy as well.

Pick 32 - DE Jerel Worthy
Pick 64 - OLB Nick Perry
Pick 96 - CB Donnie Fletcher

#FreeChuckDiesel
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#88 » by RiotPunch » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:24 pm

My biggest hope though, is for Luke Kuechly or Courtney Upshaw to fall.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#89 » by Icness » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:21 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Love Worthy as well.

Pick 32 - DE Jerel Worthy
Pick 64 - OLB Nick Perry
Pick 96 - CB Donnie Fletcher

Not inconceivable at all. That's probably within 5 picks of where all three of those guys wind up. Perry could test his way higher. Worthy would be great in Capers D but he needs a firm leader to keep his head out of his a$$.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#90 » by RiotPunch » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Yeah, Perry's stock seems to be rising big time. When it's all said and done we may use our 1st rounder on him.

As a Badger fan, watching how disruptive Worthy was against our great O-Line really impressed me. The Packers need a guy that can wreak a little havoc in the pocket. since we were dumb and let Jenkins go.
#FreeChuckDiesel
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#91 » by RiotPunch » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:18 pm

If I'm Minnesota, I'm offering up Adrian Peterson + Christian Ponder + #2 for Luck to see if Indy bites.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#92 » by Newz » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:28 am

I'd only trade Luck if I got a Ricky Williams type of deal.

Not because I think Luck is going to be Godgers part 2. However, he has more hype than any player I can remember coming into the draft. You'd have to get a huge haul for him.

Also, in a rebuilding situation, I'd rather have like 15 picks two years in a row than just having the first overall pick and 7 per year.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#93 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:10 am

What do you think Peterson could get on the open-market?

If the Vikings think they are leaving and don't care about pissing off the fan base, and they somehow get the first pick...(a lot of ifs)....it would be interesting how many picks they could stack for Peterson and Luck. (If they like Ponder) You would think you could get 9 high draft picks for those 2 players. Plus you would suck next year with another top 5 pick. I know this isn't the NBA, but if you add 18 top 3 round draft picks over a 3 year span, you should be stacked with young talent. Granted you would be screwed in 4 years when they all need extensions kind of like getting 6 freshmen in college bball one year.

Sorry, day dreaming after a long day of work.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#94 » by eagle13 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:57 am

Peterson is still great BUT getting old & hurt. Don't think he fetches that much.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#95 » by chuckleslove » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:06 am

eagle13 wrote:Peterson is still great BUT getting old & hurt. Don't think he fetches that much.

Very easy call after he blows up his knee today :P
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#96 » by Bernman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:54 am

Drafting a pass rush OLB would be a perfect example of treating the symptom rather than the cause.

Packers' sack ranks from 2008-2011:

2008 (w/out Jenkins): 25
2009 (w/ Jenkins): 11
2010 (w/ Jenkins): 2
2011 (w/out Jenkins): 27

Eagles' sack ranks from 2010-2011:

2010 (w/out Jenkins): 10
2011 (w/ Jenkins): 1

Walden, Zombo, and Matthews would all of a sudden look like much better pass rushers again if a d-lineman with a Jenkins' like effect were acquired to compliment them.

I like Jerel Worthy a lot to fill that role. I watched every game he played against the Badgers during his career and noticed his presence in every game. In comparison I didn't even know Mike Neal existed when he was at Purdue. To wit, if Worthy isn't available, I hope TT fills that major need outside of the draft by signing a free agent like Calais Campbell. This is the list of D-Linemen TT has drafted during his tenures in GB and Seattle:

BJ Raji
Justin Harrell
Mike Neal
Mike Montgomery
Johnny Jolly
Jeremy Thompson
Darius Wynn
Dave Tollefson (ironically he was the one who never made the roster)
C.J. Wilson
Lawrence Guy
Marcus Tubbs
Craig Terril
Rashad Moore
Rocky Bernard
Anton Palepoi
John Hilliard
Tim Watson
Kris Kocurek

As outstanding of a GM as Ted is, he sucks at evaluating unproven defensive linemen. That's why I'd love to see him go the free agency route to address that issue. Know your weakness.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#97 » by El Duderino » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:04 am

Walden, Zombo, and Matthews would all of a sudden look like much better pass rushers again if a d-lineman with a Jenkins' like effect were acquired to compliment them.

I wouldn't go that far in regards to Walden and Zombo, both just lack the quality pass rushing skills and athletic ability that the good pass rushing OLB's possess.

That said, i agree with your general premise about how the overall utter ineptitude of the Packers defensive lineman on the pass rush this year has had a negative domino effect on the entire defense. In fact, i see that as by far the biggest reason for the regression of the defense.

So many posters here have wrongly used play calling by Capers as a major reason for the regression, but not grasping that no defensive coordinator in today's NFL can scheme his way to a consistent pass rush when the talent isn't there to win one on one pass rushing battles. Opposing coaches/quarterbacks/offensive lineman just have to much film out there to watch that counting on confusion to create consistent pressure is a pipedream, especially with around half of NFL teams running a 3-4 defense now.

Pretty much all season long our defensive lineman have applied little to no pressure on the pass rush. They not only don't get sacks or near sacks, they rarely even just collapse the pocket somewhat, which allows quarterbacks to step up in the pocket to buy that extra second or two even if say Matthews beats his guy around the edge. By the defensive lineman almost never getting interior pressure, quarterbacks then rarely are forced to run into sacks from edge rushers. It's frees up lineman, backs, and/or tight ends to pick up any free blitzers.

That loss of pretty consistent interior pressure that both Jenkins/Raji provided last season and is mostly non-existent this year has been a significant factor as to why the defense has regressed so much. Obviously there are other reasons, but none as big IMO.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#98 » by Icness » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:16 pm

I agree completely with Bernman and his assessment. I do question why Capers hasn't changed his approach with the DL he's been dealt, but he is entitled to swinging and fouling one off. He did this same sort of thing his (regrettable) year in Miami though.

FYI Kris Kocurek is doing great as the DL coach in Detroit, in line for a promotion soon. Dude couldn't play though.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#99 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:59 pm

Bernman wrote:Walden, Zombo, and Matthews would all of a sudden look like much better pass rushers again if a d-lineman with a Jenkins' like effect were acquired to compliment them.

I think we all knew at the time that the Packers needed to keep Jenkins if the price was only 5/$25

But, Thompson has hit on so many things that you can't fault him. He sticks with his strategy of not overpaying for older veterans. For every Cullen Jenkins move that backfires, he wins by passing on guys like Kampman, etc. under a strict policy of not doing it.

If he were to start trying to make case by case decisions on older vets, he'd likely make a major mistake or two which then limits his cash to keep around guys like Nelson, James Jones, Finley, etc. I'm frankly amazed that he's likely to keep that entire receiving core intact for at least another two years after this.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#100 » by eagle13 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:48 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
Bernman wrote:Walden, Zombo, and Matthews would all of a sudden look like much better pass rushers again if a d-lineman with a Jenkins' like effect were acquired to compliment them.

I think we all knew at the time that the Packers needed to keep Jenkins if the price was only 5/$25

Yes, evryone knew

But, Thompson has hit on so many things that you can't fault him. He sticks with his strategy of not overpaying for older veterans. For every Cullen Jenkins move that backfires, he wins by passing on guys like Kampman, etc. under a strict policy of not doing it.

If he were to start trying to make case by case decisions on older vets, he'd likely make a major mistake or two which then limits his cash to keep around guys like Nelson, James Jones, Finley, etc. I'm frankly amazed that he's likely to keep that entire receiving core intact for at least another two years after this

This doesn't bode welll for Wells. Another mistake? You gotta go case by case -

Return to Green Bay Packers