ImageImage

Packers/Bears Lead Up

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,169
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Packers/Bears Lead Up 

Post#141 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:02 pm

While I don't think that any of those guys cut/dropped have a whole lot to do with our success anymore, you're starting to water things down even more in the depth realm. Long better really be that effing good because we probably will have like $40 million tied up in Rodgers, Clay, and Long at some point. Maybe that's worth it but I wonder if eventually we'll have problems signing guys later on or the roster depth will start to get watered down.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#142 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Newz wrote:
GrendonJennings wrote:
DrugBust wrote:I don't think it makes a lot of sense to pay a LT $15 million when your team is going to win six games a season.

True, but I also don't think it is going to make much sense for the Packers to do that, either.

If you let Jennings go, trade/cut Finley, let Driver go, trade/cut Hawk and get rid of Woodson... that clears up way more than $15 million, right? We'd be able to pay him that and also extend Rodgers/Matthews, correct?

So if we did that and then drafted a guy like Jon Cooper or Barrett Jones our OL could look like:

LT: Long
LG: Bulaga
C: Jones/Cooper
RG: Sitton
RT: Barclay

I'd do it assuming the only players it cost us would be Jennings, Finley, Driver, Hawk and Woodson. If it got in the way of Rodgers and Clay, no way. If it prevents us from signing guys like Shields, Hayward, House, Cobb, Bulaga, Nelson, Jones, etc... then it starts to get a lot sketchier.

If Barclay is the real deal, I'd give EDS a shot at center and go bpa in the first. I think they will regardless.
Do it for Chuck
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#143 » by Newz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:13 pm

GrendonJennings wrote:While I don't think that any of those guys cut/dropped have a whole lot to do with our success anymore, you're starting to water things down even more in the depth realm. Long better really be that effing good because we probably will have like $40 million tied up in Rodgers, Clay, and Long at some point. Maybe that's worth it but I wonder if eventually we'll have problems signing guys later on or the roster depth will start to get watered down.

Right... and that's what I'm saying. If it costs us 2-3 of guys like Cobb, Shields, House, Tramon, Jones, Nelson, Bulaga, Sitton, etc. later on... then it's probably not worth it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,229

Post#144 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:16 pm

A day after coach Mike McCarthy ruled DB Charles Woodson out of the Chicago game Sunday, Woodson was back on the practice field.

Only he was doing the same thing he had been for the past few weeks, which is run routes for the scout team against the defense during the walk-through. It's possible he took some reps during practice given that it was conducted without pads.

But he has not been cleared to play this week and will be on the sideline at Soldier Field.

The injury list looked about the same. The lone change was that CB Davon House (illness) returned to practice and appeared to be doing everything.

Guard T.J. Lang (ankle) continued working as did Mike Neal (shoulder). Lang played both guard and tackle during the portion open to the media.

Missing from practice were: WR Jordy Nelson (hamstring), DE C.J. Wilson (knee) and RB James Starks (knee).

Also, LB Vic So'oto, signed to the practice squad after clearing waivers, was back on the field.

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#145 » by emunney » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:16 pm

DrugBust wrote:Briggs was right.

Which is why it would be great if he owned them.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,960

Post#146 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:19 pm

emunney wrote:
DrugBust wrote:Briggs was right.

Which is why it would be great if he owned them.

Indeed.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#147 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Mort says expanded playoffs a real possibility in 2014. He's not sure if there would be 14 or 16 and how 14 would work, I guess there would be just one bye team in each conference then. He said it's all about revenue.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#148 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:56 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:He said it's all about revenue.

So stun.

Everything in the NFL will be either related to player safety (which eventually feeds into Goodell's bottom line with lawsuits) and creating more revenue.

I'd LOL if they revisited adding 2 more games to the schedule but removed kickoffs from the game. "We care about your safety....hey, here's 2 more games to play!"

Adding 2 more teams or 4 more teams to the playoffs, as one poster put it before, makes the regular season games a little more meaningless. The Bears would have locked up a playoff spot in week 8 or 9. Then, after their swoon exposed them as not as good or just worn out, they'd still be in (instead of not making it this year) or would be on the same level as the #2 seed in the first round. Also, they'd be resting guys a lot more from week 9 on.
Newz
Banned User

Post#149 » by Newz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 pm

I am pretty sure Goodell is trying to prove that a commissioner could F up a league worse than Stern did the NBA.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#150 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:15 pm

It's also the owners. They are all about "growing revenue". The current TV deal goes another 10 years so they are looking for more money elsewhere. I hate the idea of more playoff teams, hate it. Expansion too. 32 teams is perfect, 4 team division, rotating schedules, 12 team playoffs, rewarding teams with byes, all perfect. Now they want to F with it.

I look for uniform ads too in the next couple of years.
Marley2Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 2,426

Post#151 » by Marley2Hendrix » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:21 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:I would throw some money at Jake Long. I would be fully on board with trading Tramon, restructuring Wood, and eventually losing Raji if it meant we could bring him in. One more high draft pick to play with too.

I could be off on this, but I think one of that stat based sites (pretty sure it was profootballfocus) was very clear in saying Long is nothing more than name recognition at some point and completely unworthy of the big $$$ he'll likely get in the offseason. Having spent zero energy tracking Long's career, I have no opinion on the validity of this claim.
You gotta make it sexy! Hips and nips, otherwise I'm not eating.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#152 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Written 2 weeks ago, a nice little thing to laugh about here

This isn't to say Manning isn't MVP-worthy. He clearly is. But the Broncos won a playoff game without Manning last season. We all saw what the Bears looked like without Cutler. The WAR stat – Wins Above Replacement – is all the rage in baseball, and it helped vault Mike Trout into MVP consideration this season. However, it seems WAR was made for Jay Cutler, considering how irreplaceable he has proven to be.

That one cements it for me. Comparing the actual stat of WAR with Mike Trout to a barely above replacement level player/absolute garbage QB with no time to prepare is the best argument. He's got my vote.
Marley2Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 2,426

Post#153 » by Marley2Hendrix » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:29 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:It's also the owners. They are all about "growing revenue". The current TV deal goes another 10 years so they are looking for more money elsewhere. I hate the idea of more playoff teams, hate it. Expansion too. 32 teams is perfect, 4 team division, rotating schedules, 12 team playoffs, rewarding teams with byes, all perfect. Now they want to F with it.

I look for uniform ads too in the next couple of years.

+1 to everything, and Goodell is just disgusting. doing all he can to bastardize a near perfect system.
You gotta make it sexy! Hips and nips, otherwise I'm not eating.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Post#154 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:32 pm

I will be furious if there is any kind of playoff expansion, Goodell is such a **** troll.
dinderdan
Junior
And1: 29

Post#155 » by dinderdan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:02 am

Ten years from now it's gonna be the National Flag Football League where everyone gets a ribbon for participating... Goodell needs to go.
dinderdan
Junior
And1: 29

Post#156 » by dinderdan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:04 am

Ten years from now it's gonna be the National Flag Football League where everyone gets a ribbon for participating... Goodell needs to go.
JHSFIVE
Starter
And1: 214

Post#157 » by JHSFIVE » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:37 pm

El Duderino wrote:
Wilford Brimley wrote:McCarthy on Harris: "I like DuJuan Harris. Would like to get him in the game more. Would like to do more with him."

Highlight clip. I remember watching this clip after we signed him to the practice squad and being really impressed, but then i forgot he was still on the team.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONjlTAaT40s[/youtube]

The lateral quickness he shows at the 5:30 mark is pretty impressive.
OVERREACT
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,478

Post#158 » by neiLz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:43 pm

Can't wait for this game. One quick observation. The media is making such a big deal out of the Bears losing Urlacher and Jennings... Yet noone seems to mention the packers are missing two starting LB's, Safety, Clay, perry, Wilson, Nelson, Bulaga, Starks, Benson and others. We are a little lucky to have a great GM who built this depth and a great coaching staff to instill the "next man up" mentality. As long as Godgers doesn't get hurt, I think the packers can beat anyone.
JHSFIVE
Starter
And1: 214

Post#159 » by JHSFIVE » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:05 pm

OVERREACT
Newz
Banned User

Post#160 » by Newz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:14 pm

Return to Green Bay Packers