Packers/Bears Lead Up

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

whatthe_buck!?
Banned User
And1: 163

Re: Packers/Bears Lead Up 

Post#121 » by whatthe_buck!? » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:50 pm

trwi7 wrote:
DrugBust wrote:Goodell is exploring expanding the playoffs from 12 to 14 or 16. Nothing would make me more upset.

I actually wouldn't mind 16 teams. Makes it easy all the way through, 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5. Simple.

14 would be pretty weird though. They would probably have a bye for the #1 seed and then 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5 and then re-seed so #1 plays the lowest remaining seed.

I vote for keeping it the same, then 16 and then 14.

The biggest problem for me with the 16 or even 14 is that 9 wins essentially assures a playoff spot and since there would be no byes to play for the best team's games would stop carrying even the slightest intrigue or importance after about week ten. Teams would start resting all their important starters after like week 11 or 12... Spending almost two months of every nfl season just waiting for the playoffs to start? That would be all kinds of suck. In a year like this, a pretender like the bears would've punched their playoff ticket in week 8...
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User
And1: 163

Post#122 » by whatthe_buck!? » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:51 pm

crkone wrote:Would Denver be undefeated with Rodgers? They have the best pass blocking in the league.

The correct answer is yes, definitely yes...
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#123 » by Newz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Marley2Hendrix wrote:
And his three-year apprenticeship watching Brett Favre make ridiculous throws for bad plays seems to have conditioned Rodgers to avoid being stupid with the ball. Rodgers’ 1.8 interception percentage is the lowest in NFL history. He has thrown one pick-six in 2,551 passes over eight NFL seasons. That can’t be all luck. Nobody in NFL history is even close to that ratio. The Patriots’ Tom Brady has twice as many attempts and eight times the number of interception touchdowns.

Rodgers’ 46 career interceptions have been returned for 311 yards. Cutler’s 16 picks over his last 16 games have been returned for 333 yards and two touchdowns.

:o

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/16957625-419/unlike-jay-cutler-packers-aaron-rodgers-avoids-unnecessary-risks.html

I love advanced stats when it comes to Aaron Rodgers... because he dominances all of them. :D
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#124 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:50 pm

It's kind of crazy what Rodgers does behind this line. I do think it is unsustainable, as his escapability will decline. I hope we don't do what we did with Favre and his receivers. Meaning, going his whole career without a good offensive line like Favre went without legit playmakers. I often ponder how much more ridiculous his #s would have been if sterling didn't have to retire.
Do it for Chuck
Newz
Banned User

Post#125 » by Newz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:08 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:It's kind of crazy what Rodgers does behind this line. I do think it is unsustainable, as his escapability will decline. I hope we don't do what we did with Favre and his receivers. Meaning, going his whole career without a good offensive line like Favre went without legit playmakers. I often ponder how much more ridiculous his #s would have been if sterling didn't have to retire.

Agreed. I love the way Thompson builds teams, but at some point you have to start worrying about Rodger's health.

He needs to start investing even more resources into the offensive line. They absolutely have to do a better job of protecting him before something bad happens. When you have a player as valuable as Rodgers, you cannot afford to let him get hit as much as he has... especially as he starts to age.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,009

Post#126 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:12 pm

I think you have to remember that Rodgers best plays usually come when he's running and outside the pocket.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,721

Post#127 » by emunney » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:21 pm

It would be awesome if Finley had a career game, as beyond stupid and unnecessary as his comments on Urlacher were.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#128 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:23 pm

Briggs was right.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,022

Post#129 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:38 pm

DrugBust wrote:I think you have to remember that Rodgers best plays usually come when he's running and outside the pocket.

Yes, but I would rather have him escaping 1 DL instead of 2 where he is waaay more likely yo get blind-sided. Also, It would cause more blitzing so that's one less DB while out of the pocket.

Rodgers likes to hold the ball and have the play break down so he can improvise and make a good play. I would rather let him hold the ball longer so the play breaks down. You think Rodgers is great when he holds the ball for 4 seconds outside the pocket, think how awesome he would be if that scrambling happened six seconds into the play
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,011

Post#130 » by Siefer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:49 pm

DrugBust wrote:Briggs was right.

Well, he's our idiot.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#131 » by trwi7 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:52 pm

DrugBust wrote:I think you have to remember that Rodgers best plays usually come when he's running and outside the pocket.

Yes, but as he gets older he's not going to be able to escape as much.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#132 » by humanrefutation » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:10 pm

DrugBust wrote:Briggs was right.
jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#133 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:13 pm

I would throw some money at Jake Long. I would be fully on board with trading Tramon, restructuring Wood, and eventually losing Raji if it meant we could bring him in. One more high draft pick to play with too.
Do it for Chuck
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#134 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:17 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:I would throw some money at Jake Long. I would be fully on board with trading Tramon, restructuring Wood, and eventually losing Raji if it meant we could bring him in. One more high draft pick to play with too.

If Jake Long makes it to the free agent market or isn't signed quickly by Miami for some huge deal, I'll wear a Kanye West skirt. This is a video game dream. And as good as he is, I don't think dropping what he'd get on the open market if he got there would be beneficial for the Packers.
jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#135 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:30 pm

GrendonJennings wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:I would throw some money at Jake Long. I would be fully on board with trading Tramon, restructuring Wood, and eventually losing Raji if it meant we could bring him in. One more high draft pick to play with too.

If Jake Long makes it to the free agent market or isn't signed quickly by Miami for some huge deal, I'll wear a Kanye West skirt. This is a video game dream. And as good as he is, I don't think dropping what he'd get on the open market if he got there would be beneficial for the Packers.

I've heard Miami is planning on moving on and don't wanna risk him signing the franchise tender.
Do it for Chuck
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#136 » by wichmae » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:31 pm

I honestly wish Finley would just go away. Im so done with him and his antics.
Newz
Banned User

Post#137 » by Newz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:37 pm

wichmae wrote:I honestly wish Finley would just go away. Im so done with him and his antics.

He'd be a lot easier to stomach if he played up to his potential.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#138 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:46 pm

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to pay a LT $15 million when your team is going to win six games a season.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#139 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:48 pm

DrugBust wrote:I don't think it makes a lot of sense to pay a LT $15 million when your team is going to win six games a season.

True, but I also don't think it is going to make much sense for the Packers to do that, either.
Newz
Banned User

Post#140 » by Newz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:52 pm

GrendonJennings wrote:
DrugBust wrote:I don't think it makes a lot of sense to pay a LT $15 million when your team is going to win six games a season.

True, but I also don't think it is going to make much sense for the Packers to do that, either.

If you let Jennings go, trade/cut Finley, let Driver go, trade/cut Hawk and get rid of Woodson... that clears up way more than $15 million, right? We'd be able to pay him that and also extend Rodgers/Matthews, correct?

So if we did that and then drafted a guy like Jon Cooper or Barrett Jones our OL could look like:

LT: Long
LG: Bulaga
C: Jones/Cooper
RG: Sitton
RT: Barclay

I'd do it assuming the only players it cost us would be Jennings, Finley, Driver, Hawk and Woodson. If it got in the way of Rodgers and Clay, no way. If it prevents us from signing guys like Shields, Hayward, House, Cobb, Bulaga, Nelson, Jones, etc... then it starts to get a lot sketchier.

Return to Green Bay Packers