ImageImage

2013 Off Season Thread - Working On Ext For Burnett - Pg 129

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Re: 2013 Off Season Thread - TT Interview Pg 19 

Post#361 » by wichmae » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:45 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Maybe we can get a sweet S&T package from KC for Jennings now.

Wrong sport
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#362 » by eagle13 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:32 pm

wichmae wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:Maybe we can get a sweet S&T package from KC for Jennings now.

Wrong sport

Ahem... He's talking about Greg...

besides there hasn't been a nba team in KC in forever
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#363 » by Wilford Brimley » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:30 pm

^LOL no. Wichmae is right.

There is no such thing as a S&T in the NFL. Take that **** to footballsfuture - they tolerate that stuff there.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#364 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 pm

Maybe not sign and trade but tag and trade which is essentially the same thing. Once you tag him he's yours for the season. You can then trade him to whoever you wish. That's what we did with Corey Williams a few years ago. Tagged him and traded him to Cleveland. Got a second round pick for a guy TT didn't want. Browns signed him to a 6 year, $38 million deal and 2 years later dealt him to Detroit.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#365 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 pm

Yeah, tag and trade exists. I'm sure all parties involved here knew that and wichmae probably was just trying to point out that the semantics were wrong on how it was described.

Kansas City has shown to be dumb in a tag and trade with New England a few years ago...anything is possible.

Random note: My dad was on a flight with Jennings to Miami (he was with his family). Offseason vacation...or taking a look around? (yes, I realize free agency hasn't opened up yet).
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,948

Post#366 » by RiotPunch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:20 pm

I meant to say tag and trade, S&T is just instinctual to type.

Plus, I was half-joking, although Corey Williams was tagged and traded under Ted Thompson... so who knows.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,006

Post#367 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:39 pm

Yep, we can tag-and-trade Greg if we want to. So, WB, take that and your TT-bashing to footballsfuture - they tolerate that stuff there.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#368 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Who wants Jennings at the tagged rate? Maybe some team trying to reach the salary floor?

You could tag Jennings, that doesn't mean that somebody has to trade with us. Could easily just say that he's not worth the money and then we're stuck.
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#369 » by RiotPunch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:51 pm

It's a process. To tag Jennings you have to be on board with bringing him back at the tag amount next season, in case trading him doesn't work out. Ted would otherwise need to also be confident that a trade and likely a Jennings extension with his new team are agreed upon before officially using the tag.
#FreeChuckDiesel
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#370 » by RiotPunch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:52 pm

It's a process. To tag Jennings you have to be on board with bringing him back at the tag amount next season, in case trading him doesn't work out. Ted would otherwise need to also be confident that a trade and likely a Jennings extension with his new team are agreed upon before officially using the tag.
#FreeChuckDiesel
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#371 » by chuckleslove » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:54 pm

Well I would imagine if we tag and trade the other team has a contract extension worked out so that they aren't paying the franchise tag rate.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#372 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:55 am

I have no doubt GJ would love to sign with Miami. But I have a lot of doubt they will go after him with a big offer.
eagle13
Head Coach

Post#373 » by eagle13 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:52 am

i read somewhere WR tgg rate = $10mil - that Pack can afford the 1 yr but it would complicate extensions of the big 2
I like Greg - I like 2nd rd picks - don't do it
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#374 » by Newz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:34 am

Getting the picks that they just got for Alex Smith... I bet the 49ers end up with Revis.

That defense could be even more scary than it already is.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#375 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:35 am

Newz wrote:Getting the picks that they just got for Alex Smith... I bet the 49ers end up with Revis.

Yeah, can't believe the Chiefs traded a 2nd round pick for Alex fricking Smith. Unbelievable
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,006

Post#376 » by humanrefutation » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:39 am

Smith was pretty good for the 49ers for the last couple years. I think in a run-first offense, he'd fit in pretty well.
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User
And1: 163

Post#377 » by whatthe_buck!? » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:26 am

Bucksfans1and2 wrote:
Newz wrote:Getting the picks that they just got for Alex Smith... I bet the 49ers end up with Revis.

Yeah, can't believe the Chiefs traded a 2nd round pick for Alex fricking Smith. Unbelievable

I couldnt believe it either. In a way it affects the Packers pretty directly too because the last thing we need is really good NFC rivals like the Niners getting more high round draft choices. Stupid franchises gonna stupid though, same story as the Bucks.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#378 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:18 pm

Again, this time at the NFL scouting combine, Mike McCarthy offered some strong support for Jermichael Finley. By all accounts, the coaches in Green Bay would prefer to have Finley back. As documented earlier this week, the Packers are torn on what to do with their starting tight end.

Finley is due a roster bonus of $3.25 million next month and has a cap salary of $8.75 million for 2013.

And it doesn't sound like he'd be willing to accept less than that in Green Bay. Here's what Finley said to ESPN's Josina Anderson when asked what would happen if Green Bay asked him to take a pay cut.

"I'd have to walk for sure, meaning I couldn't take a pay cut," Finley said. "Maybe I'd restructure if it's a deal that I like and it makes sense, but I'm not the guy that's just going to sign anything and let anything pass. I’m not that guy. Other than that, taking a pay cut or restructuring doesn't sound good to me at this time. I like my deal. I start training in Minneapolis tomorrow and I’m more inspired than ever to start next season off right and be the tight end I know I can be. It’s all business at the end of the day. I just love what I do."

It's worth nothing that, so far, it doesn't appear the Packers have asked Finley to take a pay cut. The possibility certainly exists considering Finley is set to make more money than James Jones, Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb combined next season. But one reason the five-year pro may be willing to say this publically is if a strong market awaited him.

This isn't a star-laden class of free-agent tight ends and one source indicated last week that multiple teams would be very interested in Finley if the Packers decided to part ways. At what price? That's unknown. But the 6-foot-5, 247-pound tight end would be coveted.

Thus, from a pure financial standpoint, a pay cut doesn't make much sense for Finley. The way his deal is structured, the tight end has a lot of leverage.

There's also Greg Jennings. One source told the Journal Sentinel earlier this week, that it is "50/50" whether he'd be franchised at the tender of about $10.36 million. The deadline to tag Jennings is March 5. Green Bay could also execute a sign and trade with the wide receiver.

It's up to Ted Thompson, Russ Ball and the Packers to sort it all out.

eagle13
Head Coach

Post#379 » by eagle13 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:57 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Again, this time at the NFL scouting combine, Mike McCarthy offered some strong support for Jermichael Finley. By all accounts, the coaches in Green Bay would prefer to have Finley back. As documented earlier this week, the Packers are torn on what to do with their starting tight end.

Finley is due a roster bonus of $3.25 million next month and has a cap salary of $8.75 million for 2013.

And it doesn't sound like he'd be willing to accept less than that in Green Bay. Here's what Finley said to ESPN's Josina Anderson when asked what would happen if Green Bay asked him to take a pay cut.

"I'd have to walk for sure, meaning I couldn't take a pay cut," Finley said. "Maybe I'd restructure if it's a deal that I like and it makes sense, but I'm not the guy that's just going to sign anything and let anything pass. I’m not that guy. Other than that, taking a pay cut or restructuring doesn't sound good to me at this time. I like my deal. I start training in Minneapolis tomorrow and I’m more inspired than ever to start next season off right and be the tight end I know I can be. It’s all business at the end of the day. I just love what I do."

It's worth nothing that, so far, it doesn't appear the Packers have asked Finley to take a pay cut. The possibility certainly exists considering Finley is set to make more money than James Jones, Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb combined next season. But one reason the five-year pro may be willing to say this publically is if a strong market awaited him.

This isn't a star-laden class of free-agent tight ends and one source indicated last week that multiple teams would be very interested in Finley if the Packers decided to part ways. At what price? That's unknown. But the 6-foot-5, 247-pound tight end would be coveted.

Thus, from a pure financial standpoint, a pay cut doesn't make much sense for Finley. The way his deal is structured, the tight end has a lot of leverage.

There's also Greg Jennings. One source told the Journal Sentinel earlier this week, that it is "50/50" whether he'd be franchised at the tender of about $10.36 million. The deadline to tag Jennings is March 5. Green Bay could also execute a sign and trade with the wide receiver.

It's up to Ted Thompson, Russ Ball and the Packers to sort it all out.

I hope & expect Finley stays but if TT wants to clear his salary - why not trade him for a pick? The artiele said there's lots of interest - i know that' if he becomes a FA - still i bet someone would deal a 4th. Again I want him to stay. He's very motivated to earn a new contract so he could have a big year. Then NEXT off-season when he’s talking mega-deal – tag & trade him for a 2nd & 4th or even a 1st if he has a uber monster year.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#380 » by El Duderino » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Finley does have the leverage and thus has no reason to take a pay cut. If we cut him, some team will give him a multi-year deal.

Return to Green Bay Packers