ImageImage

2014 Discussion - Pack talking to Leonhard - Page 58

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

nyrfan28
Sophomore
And1: 115

Re: 2014 Discussion - Pack talking to Leonhard - Page 58 

Post#1161 » by nyrfan28 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:34 pm

trwi7 wrote:I see a few problem games on our schedule. Obviously Seattle and New Orleans on the road. We could win those but you can't expect us to and we'll likely be underdogs in both games.

Carolina could be a problem with their defense and us having a tough time containing Newton. Perhaps the Eagles and keeping Shady from going crazy on our defense but we should be able to score on them and it's at home. New England too but that's at home as well.

their success is not necessarily how many perceived really tough games they play each season as much as it is the non-pushover games they play each year.

think of how infuriating the colts and vikings losses were in 2012. a relatively healthy packers team managed to lose to cincinnati last year in a really ugly game.

the bears and lions have o/u's of 8.5 wins this year. if either manages to pull their head out of their ***, 11 wins is really hard against the current schedule. they play 5 games against projected sub .500 teams this season: buffalo (6.5), minnesota x 2 (6) , new york (7), tampa (7).

rodgers love aside, i have a really hard time betting on 11 wins this season from the most-injured team over the last five years.

i still like their playoff odds and believe they're capable of winning the super bowl, though.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#1162 » by RRyder823 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:55 pm

Honestly the Packers Offence this coming season is going to be scary good. Maybe not quite as explosive as 2011 but with a hell of a lot more balance. In '11 we rolled over pretty much everybody when we had the ball till KC taught the rest of the league to play nothing but coverage against us cause we couldn't run the ball to save our life. We got to see the Lacey and Rodgers combo just starting to click last year before ARod went down. As Rodgers has stated he expects to see a lot of 2 high safety looks early in the season cause he believes teams will force Lacey to prove last year wasn't a fluke. Lacey's the real deal and because of those 2 high looks I think he'll be getting off to a monster start to the season this year and when defense's adjust you'll see the big play make a comeback in GB in a huge way.

The big question with this team is on the other side of the ball though. It really comes down to Clay actually managing to stay on the field and whether either Ha Ha or Hyde can make an impact at Safety along with Burnett uping his level of play. There are some solid players on our defense but right now we're just devoid of playmakers on this side of the ball outside of Clay. If Clay stays relatively healthy, Hayward comes back strong and either Ha Ha or Hyde start making plays at the safety spot we'll be fine on D coupled with this offence. A great offence really does have a strong effect on a defense's performance. We saw that last year after Rodgers went down

I see this as a 12-13 win team next season without too many doubts. As for the people concerned about Seattle opening week I'm actually not. Yes they were a great team last year but even with how good that D was over there every time I saw them go up against a big power back they got run over. I can't wait to introduce them to the bowling ball known as Eddie Lacey. Combine that with it being week 1 and the fact that we shouldn't have half our lineup on the IR yet I'm very confident heading into that game........./sigh it allways comes down to injuries with us........
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,281

Post#1163 » by HKPackFan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:37 am

I'm very excited about this team, I do think they have a legitimate super bowl shot, but I do have a few concerns...

On Offense with a healthy Finley I'd say this is a Top 2 offense in the league, without Finley, I'd say Top 5.
I think after our TOP 2 wide outs, we have good depth but they are a bit young and may take time Develop. I'm hoping if we go 4 or 5 wide based on Rodgers insane accuracy and the new kids we picked up are just natural gifted catchers, then we can still be productive with young talent.

There are times when the TE is important and losing Finley hurts. There's some good talent coming up but it's young and raw, and even Finley took time to develop, so I'm not expecting great things from this unit, I think it's going to be the below average performing unit on offense for 2014.

I love the ability to balance the passing game with a punishing run game. I also have confidence our line is much better this time around, with adequate depth. All in all, I see a top 5 offense.

On Defense...I'm HOPING Top 15 defense. I'm worried about a gaping hole at ILB next to AJ Hawk. I think Hawk will be his usual self but Brad Jones DOES NOT impress me. I think he's one of the worst starting ILBs in the NFL. :-? I don't think he's starter material. He's no desmond Bishop. I'm hopeful Lattimore comes up, but it's hard to hope a guy becomes a great starter.

OLB should be fun to watch with Matthews, Peppers, and behind them Perry, Neal. All of them are elite to talented, 3 of them have had some previous health issues, so hopefully they all have healthy seasons. This is our best unit and should be making big plays regularly.

I'm fairly confident in the secondary. Shields, Tramon, Hayward, House, Bush. That's Solid starters, and good depth. Burnett and Haha, Micah, Sean Richardson. I also think that's decent.

I just think a good Dline can make up for any shortcomings in the secondary. I think our secondary is decent but I'm worried about the Dline.

Will Raji playing his old postion kick butt again? He was pure garbage last year. And who's next to him? All young unproven guys. They all showed some talent, and flashes of looking good, but not a single one of them are true proven guys. We can hope Daniels, and Boyd and Jones take their game to the next level. Jerel Worthy is a huge question mark. I was super excited when we drafted him, but his performance prior to injury was so-so, granted he was a rookie. Guion is he anything more than just a body? Thorton the rookie, should we expect much?

No Pickett no Jolly no CJ Wilson. Not complaining, I'd only want Jolly back if he was healthy. Love Pickett but seems father time may have caught up to him.

Last year our defense couldn't stop a RB to save its life. Toby Gerheart guys!?! :banghead: Remember TOBY!?! I think he needs to buy last year's GB defense dinner for the fat $10 million contract he got from Jax. He looked unstoppable.

Every RB had a field day on defense, and it started with the Dline. I watched guys run up the middle of the field, our front line getting their asses kicked, and then saw Brad Jones falling backwards with his arms flailing meekly :nonono: , until he got injured...

I'm not expecting much improvement at the ILB with Brad Jones back again, I do expect the secondary will be OK, but the real story is how this Dline holds up. The OLB's will get their sacks, but when it's crunch time and the opponent is holding onto the ball just running the clock out to avoid giving the ball back to Rodgers...Will this dline make a play and stuff the RB, or are they going to rush it down our throats and our Dline will be helpless to stop it?

That's the main concern I have. Can we get those defensive stops? It's all up to a bunch of guys who show potential, but no idea if they can do it. I think that's the difference in how far our team goes in the playoffs (barring injuries of course). If the Dline comes through this could be a special season.
#FreeChuckDiesel
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#1164 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:27 pm

Jordy is asking for $10 million per year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11259 ... n-per-year
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#1165 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:16 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Jordy is asking for $10 million per year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11259 ... n-per-year

According to this he'd be tied for 7th highest paid WR in the league at that rate.

I'd probably let him walk.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#1166 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:18 pm

SB Nation video feature on Mason Crosby and his hometown high school: http://www.sbnation.com/sponsored/nike- ... son-crosby
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#1167 » by wichmae » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:09 am

Great article by Seifert about the Titletown District.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... at-lambeau
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,838

Post#1168 » by VooDoo7 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:31 am

Return to Green Bay Packers