ImageImage

If Packers only keep Jordy or Cobb, who do you want to stay?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

If you could only sign Cobb or Nelson, who do you keep?

Cobb
56%
Nelson
44%

Total votes: 55

raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,170

Re: If Packers only keep Jordy or Cobb, who do you want to s 

Post#21 » by raysbookclub » Mon May 12, 2014 9:08 pm

zmanishere11 wrote:Bingo.

I would imagine CLE would be a great target to try to drop Cobb on during training camp, assuming Gordon gets suspended for the year. OAK would be a great spot as well.

Cobb has had enough injury issues to question giving the dude a ton of money - just doesn't seem like those smaller receivers hold up nearly as well long term as a guy like Jordy. For those worrying about age - Jordy is younger than Rodgers, and will likely play just as long. All I care about is what helps us win over the next 5 years while our team's in our prime, and for that I'll take Jordy.

That would be a really interesting trade this year, really interesting, but that would leave this year's WR corps so thin and so inexperienced. Not to mention not having Cobb as an option for returning kicks and running out of the backfield. Or all the fun McCarthy has designing plays with Cobb in mind. He's such a playmaker.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,279

Post#22 » by Finn » Mon May 12, 2014 9:22 pm

Cobb because he is younger & Nelson would be easier to "replace" (with a similar type receiver, how long were we waiting for a Cobb type of player?).
bobsacamano
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#23 » by bobsacamano » Mon May 12, 2014 10:38 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I don't think we're getting a 1st for Cobb in a trade. No pending FA is worth that. We might be lucky enough to get a mid round pick.

Vikes got a 1st (2013), 7th (2013) and 3rd (2014) for Percy Harvin. I think GB could get a 1st for Cobb.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#24 » by Newz » Mon May 12, 2014 11:12 pm

I guess I don't see how it is easier to replace Nelson than Cobb. How many guys even come out every year that have the measurables to be a number 1 wide out like Nelson?

He's 6'3", 220, very athletic and has an incredibly high football IQ. He and Rodgers are also about as in sync as a QB/WR duo can be.

I think it would be easier to find another good slot guy. But that being said Cobb is younger and is a special talent.

I think the answer is to do your best to keep both. If we HAVE to pick one, I guess it is Jordy.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,279

Post#25 » by Finn » Mon May 12, 2014 11:18 pm

I just think it's easier to find someone closer to Nelson than it is to Cobb.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#26 » by FAH1223 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:56 pm

Cobb has to be kept. He's still only 23 years old and has gotten better as a route runner.

I think we'll keep both ultimately.. esp with the cap going up.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#27 » by humanrefutation » Tue May 13, 2014 4:48 pm

bobsacamano wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:I don't think we're getting a 1st for Cobb in a trade. No pending FA is worth that. We might be lucky enough to get a mid round pick.

Vikes got a 1st (2013), 7th (2013) and 3rd (2014) for Percy Harvin. I think GB could get a 1st for Cobb.

That was with the assumption he was going to immediately sign with them, and a lot of people thought that was a huge risk regardless. If Cobb agrees to do so, then great. I still don't want to trade him, though.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,714

Post#28 » by emunney » Tue May 13, 2014 5:03 pm

As far as pending FAs, they're 1 and 1a and I think we'll keep them both. You have to go a ways down the list to get to the next guy (Bulaga), and after that, I don't see any significant money guys (maybe Raji). It would be weird if we didn't keep them, but I suppose it's going to depend on what they want.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#29 » by Newz » Tue May 13, 2014 5:15 pm

emunney wrote:As far as pending FAs, they're 1 and 1a and I think we'll keep them both. You have to go a ways down the list to get to the next guy (Bulaga), and after that, I don't see any significant money guys (maybe Raji). It would be weird if we didn't keep them, but I suppose it's going to depend on what they want.

Cobb and Nelson should both demand pretty big money. I assume we will be able to get Boykin back at 2-4 million, even if he has a good year.

If Bulaga can come back and be good he will get probably... 5-7 million?

My guess is that Raji and Tramon are both gone unless they sign cheap deals... and I don't think it would take much to keep House around if we really want him.

Is there anyone else I am missing? DeJuan Harris if he has a big year, maybe?
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#30 » by jakecronus8 » Tue May 13, 2014 5:24 pm

I'd be more inclined to keep Cobb if we didn't foolishly hold him back from using his elite return skills.
Do it for Chuck
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#31 » by jakecronus8 » Tue May 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Given Jordys age, he'll be cheaper. I think Rodgers has about 4-5 years of his prime left. Pay Jordy less and spread the money around other areas.
Do it for Chuck
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#32 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue May 13, 2014 6:32 pm

Now this is a tough question... I think you go with Cobb b/c of age, but its really a tough call.
Godgers
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#33 » by Godgers » Tue May 13, 2014 6:49 pm

First we shouldn't lose or let any of them go. What would even be the point of drafting Cobb since he was like 18 or 19 when we drafted him. Let him go before he even hits his prime.

Nelson is a top 10 receiver in the NFL right now only 28 in his prime. He is a #1 receiver and proven and reliable. If I had to pick one its not even close, I go Nelson.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,518

Post#34 » by Profound23 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:53 pm

Cleveland would definitely be a team I would consider. They have Buffalo's first round pick and their own, I would take either one as both of those teams could be the two worst teams of 2015.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,244

Post#35 » by HKPackFan » Thu May 29, 2014 10:31 am

Don't want to lose either, but if had to choose my initial reaction was to keep Cobb based on age and unique talent and potential, but then I realized Jordy is in his PRIME, he has reached his potential, and has sick insane chemistry with Rodgers, is a huge playmaker, and HAS a better track record for staying healthy.

If it was impossible to sign BOTH to big contracts.

I would go with Jordy a 4 year deal and get the absolute best of him now over these 4 years, especially with RODGERS AND JORDY being in their PRIMES, NOW!! Also I would think you'll get MORE games out of Jordy based on his previous track record (compared to Cobb). Jordy is a safer bet. He's a proven player. We know exactly what we are going to get out of him, his salary should be somewhat straight forward to calculate, as we can predict is production, we aren't paying for potential. He has good history to predict his performance.

THEN I would consider doing a TWO year deal like we did with Jennings, so Cobb we have him for 2 years while we develop this new group of WR's that hopefully can replace EITHER jordy and/or Cobb.

Hopefully in TWO years at least 2 of these guys (Janis, Jared, Davante) not to mention a possible pick next year explode and we can afford to lose either Jordy or Cobb as we moved on with Jennings/Driver and now Jones.

If we can't sign BOTH to long term deals, I say, Long term Jordy (4 years) and get his best now, and short term Cobb and re-evaluate 2 years from now both these guys. We'd have a better idea if we should cut Jordy, reduce his salary, or keep him. And if we should let Cobb walk in FA like we did with Jennings or sign him Long Term, etc. And the play of this year's crop of rookies should go a ways in determining what to do at that time.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#36 » by Wise1 » Sat May 31, 2014 6:44 am

I'm keeping Jordy. Big target that catches EVERYTHING.
aaprigs311
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#37 » by aaprigs311 » Tue Jun 3, 2014 2:01 pm

They'll both be back unless one of them suffers some catastrophic injury.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,518

Post#38 » by Profound23 » Wed Jun 4, 2014 2:20 am

Jordy is hinting at a deal being done this year. I like it because it will be cheaper if we don't wait until he's a FA.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,330

Post#39 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jun 4, 2014 11:52 am

Get Jordy signed and then you have the option of tagging Cobb if necessary.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#40 » by BigDee » Wed Jun 4, 2014 9:49 pm

I think it will be one or the other not both.

Return to Green Bay Packers