ImageImage

JS: Favre (Update: Not Coming to GB in 2014 - Pg 2)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,056

Re: JS: Favre Jersey Won't Be Retired in 2014 (Update) 

Post#21 » by Thunder Muscle » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:52 pm

I was also super annoyed how he left, wanted him to struggle after leaving, and was so pumped when he threw that pick to prevent the Vikings from getting to the Super Bowl. With that said, I'm over it and would give the guy a standing O. I think his departure could've been handled much better, but can't totally blame the guy for wanting to beat the team that doesn't think you can do the job anymore - or has someone who they feel is better.

But Favre's legacy as a Packer is monumental and I think fans really need to realize the accomplishment it was in turning GB around. It wasn't all him, but by god he was a HUGE part of it.

I'd be very curious to hear the reaction. I'm giving a big ovation but there are alot of bitter fans yet --- maybe they are the vocal minority that wouldn't end up at a game anyway. But you listen to some Packers programming and there are still angry fans. And my biggest thing is Longwell came back last year and there was a significant amount of boos I felt. Favre departure was way more messy other than Favre never really took a personal crack at the City of Green Bay (and Longwell's maybe was overblown anyway). I'd be disappointed in the fans though if Favre was booed at this point. I'd have to think if they put up that video montage of his highlights in the Green & Gold that people would then remember how special his run was here.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,270

Post#22 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Just play this right before the ceremony.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvDOHYy49V0[/youtube]
Do it for Chuck
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,934

Post#23 » by humanrefutation » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:22 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:Sidenote: why the hell did Mark Murphy publicly state the reason? Just say it isn't working out logistically.

He said that so the media won't place the blame on the Packers for failing to mend fences with Brett. He's trying to tell everyone that this is on Favre. We'll retire his number when he decides to show up.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#24 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:40 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Sidenote: why the hell did Mark Murphy publicly state the reason? Just say it isn't working out logistically.

He said that so the media won't place the blame on the Packers for failing to mend fences with Brett. He's trying to tell everyone that this is on Favre. We'll retire his number when he decides to show up.

Agree, with both. I think Murphy could've not came out and said that, but it does make the organization look like they're trying & its on Favre.

Bill Johnson on Green & Gold today says the booing thing is all a smokescreen and its McCarthy pulling strings that doesn't want him back. Apparently Favre & Ted have talked, in addition to Murphy, but Mac all along is the one with the biggest beef with 4. I believe McCarthy's father-in-law is on the Board (Kress) so would probably have some weight.

Curious how it all plays out. I find it interesting and eagerly await the return.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,214

Post#25 » by HKPackFan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:14 am

Looking back I was upset he was traded. Was not at all anti-Rodgers, but felt give the old man 1 more shot after having a great 2007 and almost Superbowl run.

I rooted for him as a Jet and wished him the best. When he went to the Vikings I was disappointed. I was soured by his ego and vikings love and what not. I rooted against him and was hoping to see us sack him and have our D grab a few INTs. I joined in on some of the Favre jokes, even though I didn't hate him.

After he retired....and it was for good...The first couple years it was good comedy... with his dick pics, crocs, Vikings history, etc. But eventually that's washed away.

I really don't understand why anyone would still be upset and boo him. That's petty and pathetic. Get over it. It was years ago, why would anyone still be upset???

At the end of the day it worked out...Our FO was correct in getting Rodgers in place and it brought us a SuperBowl. Favre proved he still had something left in the tank and almost took a team to the Superbowl. It's all good. It's in the past. Why would anyone still have sour grapes, especially in this day and age of free agency where players change teams almost as frequently as they change their underwear.

I feel sad for fans who are still pissed at TT for this move and for fans who are still pissed at Favre. We should be appreciating his entire body of work at this point.

Yes he tarnished his reputation with his johnson and crocs pic, creepy massage phone calls, late game INT's, and messy divorce from GB. But that doesn't negate what he did for this franchise. He didn't run off in the sunset with his G helmet held up high...he had a not so movie friendly ending to his career, but that doesn't DEFINE his career.

We should be reminiscing about our favorite Favre moments/plays/games, not still discussing his departure.

I look forward to his return, and I should hope fans are mature enough to embrace him and appreciate his 16 amazing years in GB, and his enthusiastic and excellent play which finally brought a Lombardi trophy back home. We waited a ridiculously long time for it, and he was a huge part of it. I'm thankful for that, and always will be. Maybe the fans who are still full of sour grapes are younger fans that didn't live through the torturous 70's and 80's? I really don't know, but if you lived through those years, I'm sure you'd be able to overlook his poor departure and appreciate the resurrection that he helped bring about.

On a lighter note, I still wonder if my claim to fame is being the only fan to witnessing the end of 1 QB era and the birth of the next, all in 1 weekend.

When I lived in South Florida, I attended Brett Favre's first game as a Jet on a Sunday and cheered him onto victory and sat in awe of seeing the legend and face of the franchise move forward with a new team. It was a way for me to say goodbye even though it was surreal seeing him in another uniform.

The next day I flew up to Chicago and drove up to GB and watched Aaron Rodgers start his first game as a Green Bay packer against the Vikings on MNF. I was so thrilled and excited about seeing our new face of the franchise. It was an epic weekend. It would be cool to find out if other Packer fans did both trips.

For all the boo birds out there....We should replay his TD throw to Kitrick Taylor, the last game in County Stadium in 1994, most of the 95 and 96 season games. His first game of the 99 season, his legendary game in Oakland after his father passed away, the Freeman miracle catch, the Seattle Matt Hassleback overtime playoff game, the Seattle playoff snow game of '07, and a dozen others I can't even recall at the moment. Could the fans really continue to boo after seeing hundreds of amazing TD's and all the victories and excitement this guy has given this franchise?
#FreeChuckDiesel
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,457

Post#26 » by Profound23 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:28 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Agree, with both. I think Murphy could've not came out and said that, but it does make the organization look like they're trying & its on Favre.

Bill Johnson on Green & Gold today says the booing thing is all a smokescreen and its McCarthy pulling strings that doesn't want him back. Apparently Favre & Ted have talked, in addition to Murphy, but Mac all along is the one with the biggest beef with 4. I believe McCarthy's father-in-law is on the Board (Kress) so would probably have some weight.

Curious how it all plays out. I find it interesting and eagerly await the return.

It's not as much on Favre as it is on the fans. Everyone has to just get over it. Favre wasn't your boyfriend, he was your quarterback. If you hate him so much that you would boo his jersey being retired, don't show up.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#27 » by Thunder Muscle » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:32 pm

Profound23 wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:He said that so the media won't place the blame on the Packers for failing to mend fences with Brett. He's trying to tell everyone that this is on Favre. We'll retire his number when he decides to show up.

It's not as much on Favre as it is on the fans. Everyone has to just get over it. Favre wasn't your boyfriend, he was your quarterback. If you hate him so much that you would boo his jersey being retired, don't show up.

Exactly and I think that segement will get priced out anyway. Once that game is announced, ticket prices are gonna sky rocket, and I can't see a large amount of people paying $300/ticket just to boo Favre.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#28 » by HKPackFan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:41 am

Thunder Muscle wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:

Exactly and I think that segement will get priced out anyway. Once that game is announced, ticket prices are gonna sky rocket, and I can't see a large amount of people paying $300/ticket just to boo Favre.

A lot of fans never put their tickets on the market. I know with our tickets (my bro attends not me) the guys around him are all the same and I think a lot of his section is like that. They all show up regardless of the ups and downs of the market prices or attractiveness of the game, they are same guys always they never put their tickets up for sale. So there would be a regular chunk of people who come regardless and some of them could still be boo birds.

Agreed though, Favre isn't your boyfriend, well said. Let's celebrate this man's career, it's sad the fans are holding this up.
#FreeChuckDiesel
JabariParker12
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#29 » by JabariParker12 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:35 pm

[/quote]Let's celebrate this man's career, it's sad the fans are holding this up.[/quote]

Respectfully disagree. Favre is the only one holding this up. Whether it's because of his schedule as an esteemed HS coach, or whether or not there is any credence to his being boo'd.

He is still a diva, still a distraction, trying to be bigger than the organization.

Thanks for the memories. Loved you when you were here. If there are still clowns who are going to boo, they won't outnumber the fans who will cheer.

People in Wisconsin are very forgving: see: Braun

Make it happen already...
"I'm trying to be a throwback player and only stick with one team"
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#30 » by HKPackFan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:49 am

I'd love to see the Packers offer some kind of limited edition promotional item with Bart Starr, Favre, and Rodgers on it.

Then before a homegame, have a quick little ceremony 5 or 10 minutes before kick off with Starr and Favre standing next to each other and Rodgers popping in for a second. It could be done nicely and quickly so it doesn't interfere with Rodgers pre-game needs. Basically Rodgers needs to walk up, shake hands with Bart and Brett, smile for the camera as they make the announcement, wave at the fans and get back to work..Like 30-90 seconds of his time.

Maybe it's some new edition to the Packers hall of fame, or some nice thing in the new fans club lounge area, and/or then something that fans can buy a replica of.

I just think it's cool that there's only 3 QB's in Packers history that won a SuperBowl, and all 3 are alive for now, so it would be nice to make a plaque or something that signifies these 3 men.

It would also be a way to get Favre in Lambeau, and minimizes his booing chances...Because if you announce Bart Starr, loud cheers...Brett Favre...Then Aaron Rodgers...Hahahah, you got Favre sandwiched in the middle, which minimizes the boo opportunity. Boo birds need time to make their loud BOOOOOOOs heard, if they pan over to Rodgers a second later, hahahah they don't want to sound like their booing Rodgers.

Symbolically I've read some favre haters saying he needs to apologize to Rodgers. Well if you have Rodgers and Favre shaking hands at Lambeau Field, I think that's a good symbolic gesture.

Also, having Favre standing next to Starr...Maybe it will trigger in people that this guy is now in our history. He's part of the fraternity now. He's the alumni. He's not a viking or jet or anything else. He's going down in history as a green bay Packer and he's part of that club with Bart Starr and the rest. I think it would be fun to see him mixing it up with other alumi and show he's now part of our rich history.

Maybe it's seeing Mccarthy honored with his street name and thinking about Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy, has me thinking about the star qb's of these respective coaches...

I'm hoping that seeing him Standing next to Bart Starr people will see him as an alumni and also part of an important club. There's only 3 of these great QB's in our modern history and he's one of them. Over the last almost 50 years we've had only 3 QB's bring home a Lombardi Trophy, it would be nice if the Packers brought these 3 together to honor that achievement.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Re: JS: Favre (Update: Not Coming to GB in 2014 - Pg 2) 

Post#31 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Not breaking news at this point, but sounds like Favre/Starr were going to go to the Bears game and obviously Starr's healthy hasn't been great. Due to that, Favre is postponing his appearance too. He definitely must be worried about the reaction. I think at this point it would be favorable outside of a select minority. But I guess never know...

Apparently Rodgers was asked about it and said "It isn't my job to get Brett ready to come back to Green Bay." Kind of an interesting response but no idea if that was a partial quote or what his context was.

PER ESPN:

Former Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre told ESPN that the plan he initiated to make his first appearance at Lambeau Field since his retirement is now unlikely to happen because of Hall of Famer Bart Starr's health problems.

Brett Favre says he doesn't want his long-awaited return to Green Bay to be without Bart Starr, who is recovering from two strokes and a mild heart attack.

While the specifics of the plan still were being formalized, Favre intended for Starr to join him on the field for the Packers' Sunday night game Nov. 9 against the NFC North division rival Chicago Bears. But Starr is recovering from two strokes and a mild heart attack, and Favre is reluctant to continue with the plan until Starr can participate.

There were discussions about making them honorary captains and participating in the pregame coin toss.

When asked why he and the Packers wouldn't proceed with Favre making the appearance alone, Favre replied, "I'm sure they could, but it was my idea to do it, and now that Bart can't, I just don't think I will.''

Favre became the NFL's winningest and most prolific quarterback while playing for the Packers, but his career there ended in acrimony, and he was traded to the New York Jets before finishing his career with the Minnesota Vikings.

Favre and Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers have improved their relationship. Rodgers has been instrumental in advocating that the team and Favre resolve their differences so that the former quarterback can be a member of an organization that routinely honors its ex-players.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#32 » by Newz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:25 pm

I might be wrong, but I honestly don't think he's that afraid of the reaction. I think Favre and the Packers want the Starr, Favre, Rodgers moment. Getting those three guys in the same place would be one of the biggest events in franchise history.

Not only are they three Super Bowl winning QBs for the organization, but all three of them are amongst the best players of all-time.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,182

Post#33 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:46 pm

When we talked about this yesterday in the Saints thread I posted what Rodgers said on his radio show

“I think the key here is Bart and his health,” Rodgers said. “That’s the most important thing. It’s been tough to hear the news about how he is doing. But I think he’s improving and we’re all thinking about him. We’d love to see him up at a game. We’d love to see Brett as well. It’d be great to get those two guys together and to see them and have the three of us together would be a special moment for me. I look forward to that happening. I know Brett’s going to get up here, I’m sure, by the end of the year. They’ll make something happen, but it might not be until it’s a little bit colder.”
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,934

Post#34 » by humanrefutation » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:29 am

I don't see why Favre can't come up for one game on his own and come back for a Starr/Favre/Rodgers moment. Whether he's up with Bart or not, the focus is going to be on Brett's return anyway.

I think it's important for him to come up and for everyone to experience that shared catharsis. Get that out of the way, and then move on to treating him like another legend of the franchise in the same vein as Starr.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#35 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:35 pm

Give him a heated suite for the Falcons game, play the below on the screen, introduce him, and listen to the cheers.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiDlZG_ptEk[/youtube]
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#36 » by FAH1223 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Hope Bart gets better. I completely understand why Favre would want to come up when Starr is better.

It'd be a great moment.
dedned
Analyst
And1: 1,333

Post#37 » by dedned » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:Give him a heated suite for the Falcons game, play the below on the screen, introduce him, and listen to the cheers.

I was there. It was **** awesome.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#38 » by HKPackFan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:30 am

Thunder Muscle wrote:Give him a heated suite for the Falcons game, play the below on the screen, introduce him, and listen to the cheers.

Chills went down my spine and my heart rate spiked watching that clip. That's one of my favorite all time Packer moments. I was at that game. On the exact opposite side of the TD. I was in the 20th row up from the endzone and jumped and screamed when I saw him dive. I was 110 yards away but I knew he was in immediately. Last game in Milwaukee ever, a game to help them get into the playoffs for the first time in forever....It was one of the best Milwaukee county stadium games. Awesome.
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#39 » by HKPackFan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:37 am

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words...This pretty much captures it all....

Packers farewell message to Milwaukee Fans....3rd and 1 at the 9....15 seconds running down the clock...Favre diving towards the endzone.

Holy crap, that was Dec 18th 1994. That game is almost 20 years ago. Man I'm feeling a bit old now.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,182

Post#40 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Nov 9, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

Return to Green Bay Packers