ImageImage

TT's biggest mistakes?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,541

Re: TT's biggest mistakes? 

Post#21 » by Profound23 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:19 pm

Not offering a little more to KC for Tony Gonzales.

Nick Perry over Alshon Jefferey
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#22 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:30 pm

Running Favre out of town!
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#23 » by chuckleslove » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Nick Perry was picked 28th, Jeffery went 45th, I don't think any team in the NFL picks Jeffery at 45th that is just revisionist armchair GMing there.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#24 » by Newz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:47 pm

chuckleslove wrote:Nick Perry was picked 28th, Jeffery went 45th, I don't think any team in the NFL picks Jeffery at 45th that is just revisionist armchair GMing there.

TT officially a bad GM because he passed on Richard Sherman several times in 2011. Should have taken him in the first.

Will not hold this against all other non-Seattle GMs though.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#25 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:28 pm

Don't get the Jeffery thing, and I personally was one of his biggest fans coming into that draft. Also don't get Sherrod..you can't predict that.

Arguing details here, but wasn't the issue with Moss that they weren't willing to tear up his 1 year contract and give him a 2-year deal? I think he would have traded the pick, but I'm forgetting that. I'd say that's up there as top 3.

Not trading for Moss. Harrell was a big fail and at least could be seen ahead of time. Jones and Hawk and sticking it out with them as well is a compounding failure. That's my list but I'm not sure of the order there.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,670

Post#26 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:43 pm

Yeah, it's a pretty insignificant list because you can poke holes in any GM's track record. I'll refrain from posting vague, wide-ranging things like "draft D-line better" so:

1. Giving Ryan Grant a 4-yr $20+ million contract. Honestly, I have my reservations about doling out big money to any middle tier RB in today's pass heavy NFL, but paying Ryan Grant like a top 10 player at his position? The guy was never anything special, and I think that this was one of the few situations where TT overpaid simply for the sake of not having any other better options (plus it being Rodgers' 1st year starting).

2. Failure to shore up the defense in the 2011 offseason. I could tie this in with the overall failure of the 2011 draft class (sans Randall Cobb), but I think that Ted overrated the play-makers on our defense and relied too heavily on later round and undrafted guys like Zombo, Walden, Peprah, and Jones to assume the play-making duties after the departures of Jenkins, Collins (injury), and decline of players like Woodson (age) and Tramon (injury).

3. Waiving Jon Ryan. I know we now have one of the best in Masthay, but the transition was not very smooth (hello Jeremy Kapinos) and it was a huge reason for our horrid special teams play from 2008-2010.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#27 » by Ill-yasova » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:06 pm

In general I think TT's biggest fault is overestimating some of our players. Hawk, Jones, and our history of mediocre to bad safties and RB's come to mind. That said, TT is the man.

Sent From My Rotary Phone
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#28 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:10 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:In general I think TT's biggest fault is overestimating some of our players. Hawk, Jones, and our history of mediocre to bad safties and RB's come to mind. That said, TT is the man.

Sent From My Rotary Phone

This is spot on imo.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#29 » by Profound23 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:06 pm

Newz wrote:
chuckleslove wrote:Nick Perry was picked 28th, Jeffery went 45th, I don't think any team in the NFL picks Jeffery at 45th that is just revisionist armchair GMing there.

TT officially a bad GM because he passed on Richard Sherman several times in 2011. Should have taken him in the first.

Will not hold this against all other non-Seattle GMs though.

The question was TT's biggest mistakes. Jeffery was supposed to be a top 5 pick that year but because he was out of shape for part of the year (remind you of anyone...JABARI PARKER) it scared people off and he plummeted in the draft. As soon as he went to the Bears I knew we would regret not getting him.

IMO that was a huge mistake however I understand everyone else's point-of-view and opinions.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#30 » by Profound23 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:54 pm

I thought we were talking about specific moves or non-moves. However, if we are looking at the broad overall picture then the failure to shore up the defense with terrible first round picks (outside of Clay and Raji) would be it.

Ted is such a good GM though.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#31 » by Mags FTW » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:56 pm

Profound23 wrote:Not offering a little more to KC for Tony Gonzales.

This would be #2 for me.

I don't have a problem with TT missing out on players in drafts because as has been stated, essentially 30 other GMs all made the same mistake. The issue with TT is that I think he overvalues draft picks.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#32 » by WiscoKing13 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:11 pm

JEIS wrote:
WiscoKing13 wrote:Only winning one sb. Funny how Ron wolf walks on water and people hate TT. Same amount of rings.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Right...and how some people actually think Dan Marino was a better Qb than Trent Dilfer. Some people are just silly.
Considering your troll response, I really shouldn't bother. Please see below.

TT
Season-60 percent
Playoffs-55 percent
Division Titles-4
SB-1

Wolf
Season-64 percent
Playoffs-60 percent
Division Titles-3
SB-1
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#33 » by Profound23 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:21 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
Profound23 wrote:Not offering a little more to KC for Tony Gonzales.

This would be #2 for me.

I don't have a problem with TT missing out on players in drafts because as has been stated, essentially 30 other GMs all made the same mistake. The issue with TT is that I think he overvalues draft picks.

The crazy thing is if he trades for Tony G, I wonder if he still makes the deal for Clay Matthews that year. Even his mistakes seem to work out for him. It's hard to pick with him. I know he makes mistakes, but his mistakes never end up hurting us as much as Mike Sherman who kept us in cap hell every off-season.
Wisky3
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#34 » by Wisky3 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:32 pm

BUCKnation wrote:Harrell. Was a reach when we took him and he has produced nothing.

Continuing to rely on Jones and Hawk after Bishop went down is another that sticks out clearly.

By Harrell do you mean Brohm? We didn't draft Harrell - we signed him as a FA
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,776

Post#35 » by Ayt » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:44 pm

Wisky3 wrote:
BUCKnation wrote:Harrell. Was a reach when we took him and he has produced nothing.

Continuing to rely on Jones and Hawk after Bishop went down is another that sticks out clearly.

Wisky3
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#36 » by Wisky3 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:50 pm

Ayt wrote:
Wisky3 wrote:

Oh snap, I thought you were talking Graham Harrell
Profound23
RealGM

Post#37 » by Profound23 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:27 pm

Yeah and look at how many Pro Bowl caliber players were drafted after Justin Harrell. I thought at the time we were looking at Greg Olsen.
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,161

Post#38 » by JEIS » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:20 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:
JEIS wrote:
WiscoKing13 wrote:Only winning one sb. Funny how Ron wolf walks on water and people hate TT. Same amount of rings.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Right...and how some people actually think Dan Marino was a better Qb than Trent Dilfer. Some people are just silly.
Considering your troll response, I really shouldn't bother. Please see below.

TT
Season-60 percent
Playoffs-55 percent
Division Titles-4
SB-1

Wolf
Season-64 percent
Playoffs-60 percent
Division Titles-3
SB-1

Yeah, wasn't needed. Wolf was, and TT is a very good GM. Just was messing with ya a little. Glad we have TT locked up as long as we do.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#39 » by JayMKE » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:39 am

Not trading for Moss, I think we win the superbowl with him and Favre that year. Moss had one the greatest seasons in history and was a big part of the reason the Pats went 16-0 that year, him and Favre wanted to play together and it should of happened. I don't know how it would of turned out from there but in my fantasy Favre retires on top and a Packer, there's no schism between him and TT and Rodgers takes over seamlessly ala Steve Young.
FREE GIANNIS
awd4cy
Analyst
And1: 1,882

Post#40 » by awd4cy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:47 am

The main thing I will remember Harrell for is going in for Rodgers for a series against the Saints after he got banged up and on the first or second play tripping over his lineman's feet and fumbling the ball away. Pretty much summed up Harrell in a nutshell.

Return to Green Bay Packers