ImageImage

OT: Wisconsin Badger Football 2014-2015

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,169
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: OT: Wisconsin Badger Football 2014-2015 

Post#81 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Feb 4, 2015 3:42 pm

RiotPunch wrote:
Has anyone heard word on Jordan Stevenson? I heard rumors that he didn't qualify academically.

Saw that same rumor in several different locations. He signed today, so from what I've read about a double-signing (if he really was also signing with a JuCo) is that he is bound to UW when he comes back like any other recruit.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#82 » by RiotPunch » Wed Feb 4, 2015 3:42 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:3. It is true that if they have these different standards (some of them are just core class differences, not "better student") they will never compete for the playoffs. If that's OK with you, that's fine, because personally I do enjoy the success they have so I don't lose sleep over it. But comparable or better schools like Michigan get plenty of the guys that got screwed by UW in.

This is pretty spot on, and sums up my concerns.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,940

Post#83 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 4, 2015 3:47 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:Losing a lot of good players due to academics. There needs to be a change. This high moral ground UW is on is getting really annoying.

When we're getting our asses handed to us by the Tide, at least we'll know we have smarter players than they do.

:roll:

We've had the second best record in the big ten over the last 25 years. We've won several B1G championships. We've gone to six rose bowls, winning three. We've also managed to recruit three heisman trophy finalists, one winner, and the best defensive player in the NFL.

I'm pretty sure our academic standards are just fine, Gary. You don't recruit guys who you don't think can compete in the classroom. You don't set them up for failure.

1. While Andersen was kinda whiny about not getting some lower standard guys in, his main gripe was that the admissions department has been really **** since a changeover the last 4-5 years. That mastubatory article for alums to sniff their own farts about higher standards guys getting in was silly...because it was about what I mentioned in the last sentence. Absolutely true they get a better set of players that stays out of trouble for the most part, but there are a lot of kids that are every bit as qualified that they have been turning away lately for dumb reasons. It's not as if they have to go all the way down to letting the Jameis Winstons in.

I understand that, but from what has been coming out of the administration, the standards themselves have not changed in meaningful ways over the last 25 years - the same standards BB operated under, the same standards Bo has operated under. So, I don't think that's a legitimate gripe. Wisconsin prides itself on having a football power and for being a place where their students graduate. That, in itself, is a selling point to many parents and families.

2. It is true that if they have these different standards (some of them are just core class differences, not "better student") they will never compete for the playoffs. If that's OK with you, that's fine, because personally I do enjoy the success they have so I don't lose sleep over it. But comparable or better schools like Michigan get plenty of the guys that got screwed by UW in.

No, I think this team has shown itself to be on the precipice of that kind of playoff success several times throughout my life. They finished ranked 5th in 1998, 4th in 1999, 5th in 2006, and they were 4th going into the Rose Bowl in 2010. In 2011, they were two passes away from going undefeated into their bowl game.

So, yeah, I do think that they can compete for a playoff spot. Do I expect that every season? Obviously not. But they've demonstrated sustained success over time and every few years they'll have that peak where they'll be in the conversation.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#84 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Feb 4, 2015 3:53 pm

I believe I had seen that when they went back and projected who would have made the playoffs if they existsed, they never would have gotten selected to the playoffs since the inception of the BCS. They might have finished 5th several times, though.

I do think they might compete once in a decade if things sift out just right, but I don't think they will be a perennial contender. They'll wear out the bowl game routes to Orlando/Tampa, though.

I'm a fan of what they've done, but PSU (who knows if this is a snake oil sales trip) has been killing it recruiting, MSU is on the rise, Michigan will be back, OSU is now a national power for sure again. The years of sitting top 2 in the conference because a cavalcade of issues around the Big Ten are likely over very soon. That's not to say I don't think the Badgers will be good or finish up there anymore.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#85 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Feb 4, 2015 4:36 pm

I'd like to know specifically what the standards are for athletes to be admitted, how those standards compare to "regular" students, whether the academic standards have indeed been tightened the past few yearsand if so why, and how the standards compare to the other B10 school. Then I can have an opinion on it.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
NerdsterBuck
Junior
And1: 8

Post#86 » by NerdsterBuck » Wed Feb 4, 2015 10:00 pm

Sad that Wisconsin weren't able to recruit DE/DT Robert Windsor from Fond du Lac. He is a beast in these highlights http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1770261/hig ... /167622384.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,940

Post#87 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 4, 2015 10:33 pm

Wisconsin apparently makes the most out of its recruits out of any school:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/afte ... -recruits/" target="_blank

Anchoring the top of the overachievement scale is Wisconsin, who on average finishes 32 spots higher than predicted. Also at the top of the scale is Oregon, which turns top-30 recruitment years into top-10 finishes, and Missouri, which has turned top-40 recruits into two top-5 seasons. The chart also shows that Georgia Tech’s overachievement in 2014 was not an anomaly. Despite having had just one top-40 recruiting class since 2002, the Yellow Jackets have had multiple strong seasons over the past decade.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#88 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Thu Feb 5, 2015 12:18 am

Not a good day for Iowa.

With that said, Higdon's decommitment is a dagger to an already-lackluster class. The top four recruits in this class are all offensive linemen, only one of which received a four-star rating from any recruiting service or an offer from a top-tier program (James Daniels). Top-notch skill position talent, already so obviously lacking from the current roster, is simply not coming to Iowa. With the loss of Higdon and continued ineligibility of Smith, Iowa completely struck out on one of its most important priorities in this class. The Hawkeyes' coaching staff is going into a make-or-break season with no other option but to cobble together a running game from five guys who couldn't beat out Mark Weisman. It's a disaster. There's no other way of putting it.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 945

Post#89 » by Lippo » Mon Feb 9, 2015 8:48 pm

Damn can'y we find a 6'3 220lb sprinter to come play WR for us. Having a 4.4 big keep D's honest would be huge.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#90 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Thomas Brown is heading back to Georgia. That really, really sucks.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Post#91 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:38 pm

He was easily our best recruiter. This program just cannot catch a **** break right now.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,972

Post#92 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:20 pm

Brutal loss.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#93 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:25 pm

I'm normally not one to sit around contemplating what recruits are talking about on Twitter, but Antonio Williams already at least seems like he is having second thoughts.

He's a 4-star RB recruit who was recently offered by Alabama (at the time, basically laughed off the offer), was planning to enroll early, and was doing some of the twitter recruiting that the main guy in a class does for them.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Post#94 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:38 pm

Brown was getting us highly ranked recruits from down South like nobody we've ever had. I guess lucky for us that the two other 4 star RB's (Stevenson and Shaw) from Texas and Alabama are already officially signed to the program. I can't imagine they are too thrilled right now.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#95 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:04 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:I'm normally not one to sit around contemplating what recruits are talking about on Twitter, but Antonio Williams already at least seems like he is having second thoughts.

He's a 4-star RB recruit who was recently offered by Alabama (at the time, basically laughed off the offer), was planning to enroll early, and was doing some of the twitter recruiting that the main guy in a class does for them.

Williams has now accepted a visit to Alabama, which he had not before.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,993

Post#96 » by midranger » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:14 am

Unfortunately, I have little confidence in Chryst to pull us out of a mini-tailspin. Particularly with Aranda getting NFL interest.

He seems like a guy who knows a few dudes from UW and Oregon State. That's it. No one else. Need much more than that in this day and age. I expect Settle to get a call.

I can't believe how much I miss Bielema and his ability to turn over a stone and find 3 new great assistants every year (the one OL coach notwithstanding).
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

OT: Wisconsin Badger Football 2014-2015 

Post#97 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:05 am

midranger wrote:Unfortunately, I have little confidence in Chryst to pull us out of a mini-tailspin. Particularly with Aranda getting NFL interest.

He seems like a guy who knows a few dudes from UW and Oregon State. That's it. No one else. Need much more than that in this day and age. I expect Settle to get a call.

I can't believe how much I miss Bielema and his ability to turn over a stone and find 3 new great assistants every year (the one OL coach notwithstanding).

GA also was very good at getting assistants in his short tenure.

I'll wait and see here. Even if it's Settle, I'm interested to see what Daronte' Jones and Gilmore have to offer. Jones seems like the new, young guy out on the road and Gilmore has a solid track record.

I have been pessimistic on Chryst's recruiting chops coming in but I'll see what this first class has to offer. Looking around on other forums, APPARENTLY he has learned his career lesson to not hire his buddies and to hire better talent. Remains to be seen. I think they may settle on Settle if they can't hit a home run but I am interested in what these other guys are going to do.

But I do share your concern about Chryst (as seen by my posts on the previous few pages).
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#98 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:55 pm

Sounds like Settle is being interviewed/talked to about coming back. Hope he can finally win a battle in the south.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,993

Post#99 » by midranger » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:59 am

Settle was probably the worst recruiter we had under Bielema. To replace our best recruiter with him would suck.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
SugarRay34
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#100 » by SugarRay34 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:57 pm

I would love for Chryst to go outside the box a little bit with a young up and coming recruiter like we did with Brown a few years back but I would bet my house on Settle being the guy. It sucks because Brown was making a huge splash on the recruiting trail in areas of the country we never used to be able to get into. And then to land Williams and even to flip Farrar this season was huge. We were making big gains in the state of Georgia. Now its all for not most likely since Settle most likely wouldn't be able to recruit if his life depended on it

Return to Green Bay Packers