ImageImage

GT: Week 1 - Packers @ Seahawks

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,173

Re: GT: Week 1 - Packers @ Seahawks 

Post#581 » by raysbookclub » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:43 am

emunney wrote:We talk about it a lot in the Bucks' forum, but in the NFL, with a hard cap, player value should always be measured in proportion to the player's contract. We do at this point have some bad decisions figuring against us (Jones, Burnett), some vets who just aren't reaching the level of their cap # (Tramon, Hawk) and flat out not enough guys playing better than their contracts.

Top QBs continue to be undervalued, and even with by far the highest cap # on the team, Rodgers is keeping us above water. Clay is a great player, but as a non-QB it's just not possible for him to be a lot more valuable than his big deal, though he's far from a problem.

The bottom line is that once Rodgers' and Clay's cap #s expanded, our margin for error disappeared, because there will always be a team with a really good young QB who hasn't been paid yet. We just can't afford to have injuries or make mistakes on other contracts and expect to have the same level of talent on our roster unless our drafting is completely uncanny. And it hasn't been.

Agree somewhat, but even if Rodgers and Clay had signed some crazy low deals, I don't think we would have found replacements for Hawk and Jones in free agency. Seems like the Pack somehow think they're very good.
slappyg
Junior
And1: 269

Post#582 » by slappyg » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:44 am

Sad to see how slow Sherrod looks. Terrible form.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#583 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:44 am

Outside of Rodgers we have 6-10 talent.

With a healthy Rodgers playing well, we elevate to 10-6.

With a healthy everyone and Rodgers playing out of his mind we are 12-4.

Been that way for the past couple years now since Collins went down, Jennings left, Woodson got old, etc.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#584 » by wichmae » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:44 am

FWIW Brad Jones is trending on twitter. He is a pretty cool dude. Met him twice but my god he was bad.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#585 » by JayMKE » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:44 am

going to be a long wait until the next game

worst week ever
FREE GIANNIS
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,118

Post#586 » by LittleRooster » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:45 am

emunney wrote:We talk about it a lot in the Bucks' forum, but in the NFL, with a hard cap, player value should always be measured in proportion to the player's contract. We do at this point have some bad decisions figuring against us (Jones, Burnett), some vets who just aren't reaching the level of their cap # (Tramon, Hawk) and flat out not enough guys playing better than their contracts.

Top QBs continue to be undervalued, and even with by far the highest cap # on the team, Rodgers is keeping us above water. Clay is a great player, but as a non-QB it's just not possible for him to be a lot more valuable than his big deal, though he's far from a problem.

The bottom line is that once Rodgers' and Clay's cap #s expanded, our margin for error disappeared, because there will always be a team with a really good young QB who hasn't been paid yet. We just can't afford to have injuries or make mistakes on other contracts and expect to have the same level of talent on our roster unless our drafting is completely uncanny. And it hasn't been.

As long as we have Rodgers, we'll be in the hunt, but we're going to need a lot more things to break our way than we would have 5 years ago.

Great post
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#587 » by Newz » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:45 am

So here is what I have to say about it all:

* Not that upset we lost. I didn't think we'd win.
* The Seahawks are a better team than us right now. That doesn't mean they will be a better team than us come playoff time.
* Rodgers was not typical Rodgers tonight.
* We are in major trouble if Bulaga is down long-term. I still think our biggest enemy is injuries. Tretter, Bulaga and Barclay all already down along the line. That is brutal.
* Special Teams was not good... at all.
* I actually think our secondary is pretty damn good and will continue to be pretty damn good. Shields got completely tricked on a hell of a play call, but other than that they played well.
* Ha Ha missed a couple of tackles, but he put himself in spots to make the plays. I'm actually encouraged by him, I think he's going to be a player.
* Our inside linebackers are horrendous.
* I think that our front 7 is going to be able to put a lot of pressure on QBs... but we are going to get run on an awful lot this year.
* I put this loss more on our offense (and special teams) than our defense. We consistently put our defense is terrible spots.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#588 » by FAH1223 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:46 am

books wrote:

Agree somewhat, but even if Rodgers and Clay had signed some crazy low deals, I don't think we would have found replacements for Hawk and Jones in free agency. Seems like the Pack somehow think they're very good.

Neglecting MLB early in the draft has caught up.

You can win with Hawk and a good MLB. But you won't win with Hawk and a worse player than Hawk

OLine depth is sad, I wonder if any Tackles are out there if Bulaga is out for the year
Soca
Veteran
And1: 841

Post#589 » by Soca » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:47 am

I'll be so happy when Capers is gone. This defense still looks awful against mobile QB's.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#590 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:47 am

wichmae wrote:Theres no reason Jones should be on the field. There really is no excuse for it. There also isnt much of an excuse for the lack of OT depth. Really no one can argue those arenas.
Jones was awful tonight so I'll give you that one but there's not a team in the league that would be in good shape after losing 2 of their 3 best offensive tackles. I watched enough preseason football to say backup online men suck in the nfl. Thompson isn't perfect by an means but that's a rough one to pin on him since we looked pretty deep there before the barlay and Bulaga knee injuries. Theres just not a ton of 300 pound men on the planet that can handle today's fast as hell d ends and olbs. I still have hope for Sherrod; Seattle's outside pass rush is gonna make a bunch of starters look bad this year so let's see how he does against a normal teal before we give up on the season.

Sent from my SM-N900V using RealGM Forums mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,281

Post#591 » by rilamann » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:49 am

books wrote:

This.

Obviously we can just replace guys like Hawk and Jones with all pros but the Packers haven't even tried to upgrade and these guys have been terrible players for years now.At least attempt to find replacements,guys on the scrap heap can't be any worse than these bums.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
awd4cy
Analyst
And1: 1,882

Post#592 » by awd4cy » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:49 am

It was week 1 but it really is troubling how bad our DT's and ILB's are. Also equally as troubling that we have absolutely zero depth on the OL. Sure looked like Bulaga is done. Amazing how much injuries plague this team year in and year out.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#593 » by wichmae » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:49 am

Saying the Packers have 6-10 talent is Godgers esque PP. Thats pretty ridiculous to say.

You can quite literally make a directed comment like that about any team, in any sport, and at any time with hypotheticals.

SF without Harbaugh
SEA without Wilson
DEN without Manning
CHI without Forte or Cutler

Cavs without Lebron
OKC without Durant

List goes forever with hypothetical situations.
ReddRum
Veteran
And1: 465
Location: Waiting for a superstar to awaken the city of Milwaukee

Post#594 » by ReddRum » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:51 am

I have one word for this game: disgusting! Major injuries again, awful play calling on both sides of the ball, tons of mistakes, defense looked pitiful, what's left? Lacy probably out now next week - just a nightmare and an abortion of a game. Seriously starting to think this team is cursed when it comes to injuries. So pissed i wanna puke!!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Big baby ass Derozan tosses the ball in the stands and gets and gets his sorry a-- tossed. Cross him off our list of players to target.

Ejected with only two games left in your season.What immature nut...Grow up and just play.

Return to Green Bay Packers