ImageImage

ATL: Week 2

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,020

Re: ATL: Week 2 

Post#181 » by midranger » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:07 am

Cultural relativism is a terrible concept. Right is right. Wrong is wrong.

Anyway.... Baccari Rambo waived. He's been terrible at tackling and preventing big plays but he was awesome at Georgia and is really young. Any interest?
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,761

Post#182 » by Ayt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:14 am

Newz wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Get your popcorn ready. I have a feeling AP will get let go and it will be interesting if goodell has the balls to extend the morality clause into parental rights. I honestly think the nfl should stay away from punishing off the field problem and let the teams themselves take a moral stance.

This is what I was talking about a while back (don't remember in what thread) about punishing these guys for what they do in their personal lives is a slippery slope.

Now you have the NFL having to be moral judges. Is hitting your fiance with a left hook and having her not press charges worse, better, the same or whatever as whipping your kid with a stick? They have now put themselves in a position where if they don't suspend Peterson indefinitely, you will have fans in an uproar because they'll believe it's just because he's a big name. If he gets indefinitely suspended, you will have some people up in arms because they don't consider what he did as bad as what Ray Rice did.

These cases are going to get crazier and crazier, IMO.

It isn't complicated. The NFL is not in the position of "having to be moral judges." They do need to deal with PR in a business that is driven by positive PR. That's it. Image is extraordinary important to a business like the NFL. There is nothing complex about it.

If they **** up their image, they can lose sponsorships, viewership, and attendance. It is all PR. Being "moral judges" has nothing to do with it.

Is that an easy job? No. But you are talking about a multi-billion dollar business in an entertainment industry where every detail will be scrutinized. It is the nature of the business. This is the price of success for something like the NFL.

Frankly, their job is easy. The game is much bigger than an Adrian Peterson (as amazing as he has been as a player) or a Ray Rice, Greg Hardy, or Aldon Smith. If those guys need to be sent to the meat grinder in order to maintain the appearance of "integrity" by the NFL, so be it.
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#183 » by GB_Packers » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:46 am

Peterson has been placed on the exemption list. Seems like his season could be over now.

This isn't even remotely as important but I wonder if the NFL will move our Thursday night game against them in week 5 to noon on Sunday. Probably too much of a hassle with tickets already sold and all that but I have to imagine it's at least been considered.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#184 » by Mags FTW » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:21 am

The Vikings and some of their fans have looked like complete idiots during this whole thing.
Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Post#185 » by Buckrageous » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:28 am

Companies fire people a the time for not representing the company properly in front of a client (fan). These controversies are poorly representing the company (NFL) to millions of clients. There is no need for "due process" since the NFL is a private business. They arent being the "moral police", they are protecting their image which is a pretty common practice. If McDonald, Hardy, Peterson, etc. were fired tomorrow the league would move on.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,266

Post#186 » by HKPackFan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:10 am

Buckrageous wrote:Companies fire people a the time for not representing the company properly in front of a client (fan). These controversies are poorly representing the company (NFL) to millions of clients. There is no need for "due process" since the NFL is a private business. They arent being the "moral police", they are protecting their image which is a pretty common practice. If McDonald, Hardy, Peterson, etc. were fired tomorrow the league would move on.

Yes, I remember there were these high end bankers that closed a HUGE deal and they went out to dinner to celebrate. They went all out, and had a ridiculous bill, the wine alone was like $70K or 80K USD. The problem? It was 2008. It created a huge backlash and they got **** canned.

So yes, companies can fire people for bad PR. Although the NFL is a tough profession because if you get banned from the league there's not a lot of options. I'm not sure if CFL or Arena can pay the bills.

It's one thing if a TEAM fires you...there are 31 other teams you can work for, but if the LEAGUE bans you...The ability to work and make a living in that profession becomes pretty difficult. Dog killer Vick got Fired from Atlanta and after being allowed back into the NFL the Eagles gave him a chance. If some of these guys are banned forever, hope they didn't blow it all making it rain...

Imagine a player spends their whole life training to get into the NFL, studies sports broadcasting in university...Then goes against the NFL conduct policy and is banned. They are probably going to have a tough time being an NFL broadcaster as well. Ouch.

Again, no sympathies for any of these guys on my end, but their choice of profession is almost like a bubble. It's one thing to be fired from a job...It's another to be banned from an industry. Getting fired from a bank vs getting banned from ALL BANKS! Again it's their CHOICE of profession and they know the consequences..
#FreeChuckDiesel
Buckrageous
Starter

Post#187 » by Buckrageous » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:21 am

^ Those guys that trained all their lives to be in the NFl and are banned wi just get replaced by other guys who trained all their life to be in the NFL and didnt do anything to get banned. The NFL roster number will be the same and th demand for former player broadcasters will be the same.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,022

Post#188 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:04 pm

And sometimes by guys who debatably worse acts that just don't get attention since they aren't a big name or it wasn't the crime of the week that PR cares about.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#189 » by crkone » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:20 pm

We as a country give second chances so I'm guessing the stars will at least be able to come back. Here's the course:

1- Parenting/anger management/AA class
2- 60 Minutes interview where they attend a class and the star professes that he has seen the light and is truly sorry
3- The Ginger Hammer has a meeting and shakes his hand and reinstates him next season

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#190 » by Badgerlander » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Rihanna winning vs the NFL is awesome
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#191 » by chuckleslove » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:09 pm

I have no problem with the NFL suspending players over stuff like this because they are a private business and that is their right.

I do take great offense to Mark Dayton calling for an indefinite suspension while the legal process works out. He is a function of the state and a core tenant of our legal system is innocent until proven guilty. He is WAY out of line to treat him as guilty before trial/evidence(no matter HOW likely he is actually guilty and I personally believe he is). Even the most heinous of criminals get their day in court. Dayton is the only one I took issue with in this situation.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#192 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:39 pm

chuckleslove wrote:I have no problem with the NFL suspending players over stuff like this because they are a private business and that is their right.

I do take great offense to Mark Dayton calling for an indefinite suspension while the legal process works out. He is a function of the state and a core tenant of our legal system is innocent until proven guilty. He is WAY out of line to treat him as guilty before trial/evidence(no matter HOW likely he is actually guilty and I personally believe he is). Even the most heinous of criminals get their day in court. Dayton is the only one I took issue with in this situation.

He's up for re-election this year so he's just using this as a way to score some political points.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#193 » by GB_Packers » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:30 pm

And now Greg Hardy agrees to be placed on Exempt List. Panthers should be fine but it's definitely a blow to their defense.
Buckrageous
Starter

Post#194 » by Buckrageous » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:42 pm

GB_Packers wrote:And now Greg Hardy agrees to be placed on Exempt List. Panthers should be fine but it's definitely a blow to their defense.

I wish my company would put me on an exempt list where I get paid but dont have to work. That would be sweet.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#195 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:57 pm

Buckrageous wrote:
GB_Packers wrote:And now Greg Hardy agrees to be placed on Exempt List. Panthers should be fine but it's definitely a blow to their defense.

I wish my company would put me on an exempt list where I get paid but dont have to work. That would be sweet.

BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#196 » by trwi7 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:03 pm

How dumb are these players?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/512359004241002496[/tweet]
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#197 » by El Duderino » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:14 pm

trwi7 wrote:How dumb are these players?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/512359004241002496[/tweet]

Well, he got a 17 on his wonderlic test. Not Brent Fullwood 5 horrific, but on the lower end.
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#198 » by glenn » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:43 pm

midranger wrote:Anyway.... Baccari Rambo waived. He's been terrible at tackling and preventing big plays but he was awesome at Georgia and is really young. Any interest?

I haven't been paying close attention so I don't know how bad he's looked, but based on how I felt during last years draft (and how I feel about the talent on this defense) hell yeah I'd give Rambo a try. On the other hand, he wasn't even good enough for them to keep for special teams, so who knows.
:reporter:

Return to Green Bay Packers