Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

James1980
Veteran
And1: 366

Re: Bears Leadup 

Post#41 » by James1980 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:28 pm

Hester is a Falcon now

Sent from my SCH-R970 using RealGM Forums mobile app
NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:I overlook foolishness.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#42 » by El Duderino » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:40 pm

Newz wrote:
I think certain players also need to play better:

1. Aaron Rodgers has not been Aaron Rodgers so far this year. He's missing open receivers and he has made some bad throws. He's as much to blame as anyone right now and he has to be better.
2. Boykin. This guy is falling way, way short of the James Jones replacement hype. I was convinced we would still be an elite offense this year despite losing Jones, Finley, Jennings and Driver over the last couple of years. I thought this because I thought Boykin would be solid, our running game would be good and Bostik would emerge at TE... so far none of those things have happened.
3. The offensive line as a whole. Get your **** together, open some running lanes and keep our QB upright. I don't blame our backs as much as I blame them at this point for the running game not getting going.

The offensive line has been a major disappointment so far. To much pressure vs defenses rarely blitzing and opening few holes in the running game vs defenses often keeping both safeties deep. Yea Tretter got hurt, but Linsey has been solid and even when Bulaga has played, running backs rarely have had holes to run through.

As for Rodgers, it's weird seeing him look fairly mediocre except for the 2nd half against the Jets. We don't have enough talent to be a 10-12 win team without Aaron being on the top of his game.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#43 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:45 pm

Other than when Sherrod has ole'ed his defender, I feel like a lot of the sacks have been on Rodgers holding it and looking for somebody to get open (they haven't due to coverage).

Most of the sacks have been coverage. Pass blocking has looked fine to me. Running the ball has been mostly another story, though.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#44 » by LUKE23 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:14 pm

I agree. I haven't seen many jailbreak sacks. There have been a few, but a lot of them are on plays taking a really long time to develop. I think our OL is fine assuming we can keep the starting unit healthy (looking at you Bulaga). In fact, I think it's our best OL in a while.

What is really killing us is lack of middle of the field production offensively. Lacy is strugging running the ball, and we have nobody hurting defenses as a receiver in the middle of the field. Bostick needs to be that guy, and they need to use Cobb far more in the slot. Let Adams play outside and see what he has.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#45 » by FAH1223 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:15 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Other than when Sherrod has ole'ed his defender, I feel like a lot of the sacks have been on Rodgers holding it and looking for somebody to get open (they haven't due to pressure).

Most of the sacks have been coverage. Pass blocking has looked fine to me. Running the ball has been mostly another story, though.

Yeah... and Sherrod isn't a good run blocker. Losing Bulaga vs. SEA changed things up... I felt we could get 4 YPC against the with him in there and then we couldn't get anything.

And the Jets have the best front 7 power wise we'll face. Detroit's front 7 looks more consistent.

ARod has had time but the playcalling and WRs not getting separation is what's killing everything. Too many looks for homeruns not enough undeneath
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#46 » by FAH1223 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:03 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PackerUpdate/status/515203820289544192[/tweet]
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#47 » by crkone » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Everyone practiced again today. Looking to be a healthy bunch this Sunday.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#48 » by eagle13 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:42 pm

James1980 wrote:Hester is a Falcon now

Sent from my SCH-R970 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Thanks - don't really follow the Bears.
eagle13
Head Coach

Post#49 » by eagle13 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:34 am

Each day this week the feeling that Green Bay is gonna bust out has grown. The Offense, despite its low output to date, still has top 5 potential IMHO. I just can't buy a rapid decline. For all the concerns we've been discussing I think the Pack is way over due and the poor BEars are gonna feel it. I stated that the Pack miss the TE game a lot. But I recall that the Pack was weak at TE in SB year. And actually once Bostick gets reintegrated - switch on the burners. Nelson is surpassing expectations and some writers are worried about that? Cobb is the biggest popcorn seed in heating oil. I don't believe he's lost anything - he's gonna pop. For being a rookie Adams is playing at very high level. Its been said by most everyone - our OL is perhaps the best we've had in five years. They just need to jel for whatever reason. And I think they will take a step towards that this week and by mid season - if healthy - will become dominant. And Lacy will again be bowling over defenders.

On defense there were a lot of changes both in scheme and personnel. Its taken a little longer than coaches or us thought or like. But I feel it coming together.
Seems to me Datone is slowly but surely playing pretty well as is Boyd. With Daniels our young guys are starting to deliver. I hope Pennel not only is active but plays a few snaps. IF Matthews stays healthy I think we'll eventually have one of the best pass rush / pass defense in the league this year. I believe Pepper is growing quickly into his role and the Matthews/Pepper dual will strike fear in the hearts of all teams by mid season. Mike Neal is too good a player not to make a big impact once he acclimates to the constantly rotating assignments required of him as he switches from OLB to DE in 3-4 and DT in 4-3. Our 2ndary is DEEP.

Defensively this would be the ideal time for Lattimore to have a monster game - will he?

It seems to be the Pack is gonna ramp up over the next several games - maybe with a loss or two but will catch up with itself and become unbeatable in 2nd half and will peak at exactly the right time heading into playoffs.

This team has done it before (start slow ] dig a hole) (several times). And for all his flaws, McCarthy always has his players loyalty and is good at keeping guys on track without panic or distraction
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,128

Post#50 » by HKPackFan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:56 am

eagle13 wrote:Each day this week the feeling that Green Bay is gonna bust out has grown. The Offense, despite its low output to date, still has top 5 potential IMHO. I just can't buy a rapid decline. For all the concerns we've been discussing I think the Pack is way over due and the poor BEars are gonna feel it. I stated that the Pack miss the TE game a lot. But I recall that the Pack was weak at TE in SB year. And actually once Bostick gets reintegrated - switch on the burners. Nelson is surpassing expectations and some writers are worried about that? Cobb is the biggest popcorn seed in heating oil. I don't believe he's lost anything - he's gonna pop. For being a rookie Adams is playing at very high level. Its been said by most everyone - our OL is perhaps the best we've had in five years. They just need to jel for whatever reason. And I think they will take a step towards that this week and by mid season - if healthy - will become dominant. And Lacy will again be bowling over defenders.

On defense there were a lot of changes both in scheme and personnel. Its taken a little longer than coaches or us thought or like. But I feel it coming together.
Seems to me Datone is slowly but surely playing pretty well as is Boyd. With Daniels our young guys are starting to deliver. I hope Pennel not only is active but plays a few snaps. IF Matthews stays healthy I think we'll eventually have one of the best pass rush / pass defense in the league this year. I believe Pepper is growing quickly into his role and the Matthews/Pepper due will strike fear in all teams hearts by mid season. Mike Neal is too good a player not to make a big impact when he acclimates to the constantly rotating assignments required of him as he switches from OLB to DE in 3-4 and DT in 4-3. Our 2ndary is DEEP.

Defensively this would be the ideal time for Lattimore to have a monster game - will he?

It seems to be the Pack is gonna ramp up over the next several games - maybe with a loss or two but will catch up with itself and become unbeatable in 2nd half and will peak at exactly the right time heading into playoffs.

This team has done it before (start slow ] dig a hole) (several times). And for all his flaws, McCarthy always has his players loyalty and is good at keeping guys on track without panic or distraction

Good analysis of the offense, I can explain away some of the problems with too much emphasis on longer pass plays and not enough short game, etc as others have done.

But one thing I can't figure out...Why is the OLINE sucking in the run game???

Last year we ONLY had a run game, 8 in the box, daring Flynn and Tolzein to throw. And even when it was against the odds to run the ball, we still ran it and LACY still plowed forward for 3 or 4 yards.

Personally I was never a fan of EDS, nothing against the guy, but I thought he was an average blocker in the passing game, and a poor blocker in the running game. That's really the only change. So what's the deal? Why are we sucking in the running game?

Besides crap calls of the damn toss and taking Lacy LATERAL, the Oline guys are losing their battles. What is the deal!? Is it the TE's can't block worth a damn? Is it the whole Oline is blocking like crap in the run game?

How come our run game worked when we had backups who were ZERO threat, and yet this year our run game is stalling and we have our MVP QB as a threat back????
#FreeChuckDiesel
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#51 » by crkone » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:47 pm

Lacy running like he's Sproles right now. It's probably a combination of bad run blocking and him dancing in the backfield. He needs to take the handoff and go north-south.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,950

Post#52 » by Siefer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:31 pm

I expected the offensive line to be better than they've been so far, but the failures of our offense extend well beyond just them. The line hasn't been good, but it's been far from a disaster. We're dealing with the three-headed monster of a not sharp Rodgers, the weakest receiving talent we've had in the Rodgers era, and a failure to change how we approach the passing game given our guys aren't getting open. We're running a ton of medium-deep routes that take time to develop. When nobody gets open, Rodgers will often eat a sack because he doesn't throw the ball away.
eagle13
Head Coach

Post#53 » by eagle13 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:05 pm

The primary reason for the offenses troubles – two word = no huddle.

Whether its just taking time to acclimate OR it’s a bad idea to run full time – I don’t know

It for sure limits the variety of formations and looks we can put out there as we stay with same personnel every play. That is one disadvantage. No 4 or 5 WR sets, no 2 TEs, no 2 RBs. I wonder if going faster is better than having more variety and opportunity to exploit.
awd4cy
Analyst
And1: 1,882

Post#54 » by awd4cy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:12 pm

I really don't know what to think about this game. I haven't really gained any optimism as the week has gone on. Will hope McCarthy doesn't go into this one trying to establish the run. If so then it will be run on 1st and 2nd down then throw deep on 3rd.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#55 » by El Duderino » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:32 pm

awd4cy wrote:I really don't know what to think about this game. I haven't really gained any optimism as the week has gone on. Will hope McCarthy doesn't go into this one trying to establish the run. If so then it will be run on 1st and 2nd down then throw deep on 3rd.

We should try to run vs the Bears defense given they have a bad run defense. If we can't run against them, it will be a very bad sign going forward.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#56 » by Ill-yasova » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:05 am

Here's something that should be fun to check in during games. The New York Times has a software program they have named "The 4th Down Bot" and it does exactly what you would think it does:
https://twitter.com/nyt4thdownbot
I analyze every N.F.L. fourth down live to see if a coach should have gone for it. I mostly tweet disagreements; my site shows all plays.
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#57 » by GB_Packers » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:06 pm

#Packers inactives: 11 WR Jarrett Boykin
16 QB Scott Tolzien
39 CB Demetri Goodson
54 LB Carl Bradford
59 LB Brad Jones
72 C Garth Gerhart

And I've seen that Jared Allen is inactive for the Bears
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#58 » by Jollay » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Marshall will play, Allen will not.

If our offense sucks today, wow.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,128

Post#59 » by HKPackFan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:21 am

El Duderino wrote:
awd4cy wrote:I really don't know what to think about this game. I haven't really gained any optimism as the week has gone on. Will hope McCarthy doesn't go into this one trying to establish the run. If so then it will be run on 1st and 2nd down then throw deep on 3rd.

We should try to run vs the Bears defense given they have a bad run defense. If we can't run against them, it will be a very bad sign going forward.

Happy with the final score...but is this a bad sign? We couldn't run against the bears.
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Green Bay Packers