Game 4: Packers @ Bears

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,922

Re: Game 3: Packers @ Bears 

Post#581 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:55 pm

The Bears may not have won the game if they had simply kept running, but they would have kept it within a score.
SeaLORD_0318
Senior
And1: 185

Post#582 » by SeaLORD_0318 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:55 pm

GB_Packers wrote:
SeaLORD_0318 wrote:Way to keep the momentum going with this solid win McCarthy... Freaking limping out of town.

Was this supposed to have green font? I hope so.

Sorry forgot the green font. Hard to do from phone and I know I know sarcasm is hard to read in threads.
"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Vince Lombardi
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,852

Post#583 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:56 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Elated with the win but wow does our defense need a ton of work. They moved the ball at will today.

Has to be the worst 17 point performance by a defense in the history of football.
bcl20
Starter
And1: 166

Post#584 » by bcl20 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:00 pm

At half time, there was no way I expected to win by 21 with the Bears scoring zero points in the half. Not that it happened because of great defense but still.
Go Packers, Go Bulls, Go Cubs, Go Hawkeyes, Go Blackhawks
Sky Bucks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,357

Post#585 » by Sky Bucks » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:00 pm

Only the Bears could gain over 500 yards and only score 17 points :lol:
#Make'em Believe On Wisconsin
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,685

Post#586 » by jimmybones » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:01 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:Elated with the win but wow does our defense need a ton of work. They moved the ball at will today.

Has to be the worst 17 point performance by a defense in the history of football.

Blows my mind man. I think people's expectations are insane. We played a good offense on their turf, and yes, some of their drives early were too easy. But come on. 17 points is a good day in today's NFL under any circumstances. When it's a tough road game, it's damn good.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#587 » by wichmae » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:02 pm

The inside d line play and inside lb play is just so bad. Comically bad.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#588 » by Bernman » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:03 pm

Cutler may never win back to back games against the Packers until he retires. He has a hard enough time winning one. We are seriously in his head.

Now we need to reestablish that mental stranglehold over the Lions when we play them again later in the season. Demonstrate we are still the St. Louis Cardinals of this division.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#589 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:05 pm

jimmybones wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:

Blows my mind man. I think people's expectations are insane. We played a good offense on their turf, and yes, some of their drives early were too easy. But come on. 17 points is a good day in today's NFL under any circumstances. When it's a tough road game, it's damn good.

Did you even watch the game? I'm happy with how things turned out but the D got murdered. Like, it was comically bad.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#590 » by FAH1223 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:07 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:Did you even watch the game? I'm happy with how things turned out but the D got murdered. Like, it was comically bad.

Typical 2011 game. Offense dominates, defense gives up yards but gets turnovers.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#591 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:09 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:Did you even watch the game? I'm happy with how things turned out but the D got murdered. Like, it was comically bad.

Typical 2011 game. Offense dominates, defense gives up yards but gets turnovers.

True, I don't even have that high of expectations for the D, but they were ripping off 10-15 yards every running play. You just don't see that in pro football.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#592 » by FAH1223 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:12 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:True, I don't even have that high of expectations for the D, but they were ripping off 10-15 yards every running play. You just don't see that in pro football.

No true NT on the roster, and the LBs ain't filling in the gaps

We're going to give up 150 yards rushing per game... its a great thing we don't face Peterson this week.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant

Post#593 » by jimmybones » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:18 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
jimmybones wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:Has to be the worst 17 point performance by a defense in the history of football.

Did you even watch the game? I'm happy with how things turned out but the D got murdered. Like, it was comically bad.

:o I watched the game, thanks for that. I'm not sure how any team can force 3 turnovers, hold an NFL offense to 17 points on the road and be considered "murdered." If our defense was murdered, what was theirs?
jimmybones
Lead Assistant

Post#594 » by jimmybones » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:20 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

True, I don't even have that high of expectations for the D, but they were ripping off 10-15 yards every running play. You just don't see that in pro football.

Or 5.7 yards per carry.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#595 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:21 pm

Ok you got me. The defense didn't play poorly because the Bears only scored 17 points. Is that the argument you're trying to make?
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#596 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:32 pm

I didn't mean to cheap shot you in that other post jimmy, but I just can't understand how you would think people are overreacting about the defense's play. Cutler being Cutler is the only thing that kept this from being a tight game today.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant

Post#597 » by jimmybones » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:53 pm

I think people are overreacting over the defense as a whole because I think they played good last week and for most of the Jets game, coming from someone who said they had a bad first half. I see a recipe for this team to win. The defense has to make a few plays here and there and the offense putting other teams in a hole puts the pressure on them. This is an offensive team, we don't win by being a juggernaut defense.

-The Clinton Dix tackle to keep Bennett out of the end zone before the half. Some of their drives before that were far too easy, but we went into the half with the lead because of the hold on the goal line and this play.
-Tramon making a huge play to bat the ball off that Matthews picked off.
-Datone Jones sack that lead to a turnover on downs.
-the Shields INT was a god awful throw by Cutler, but it's still a defensive takeaway.

It would be great to consistently get 3 and outs and shut teams down, but it's really hard for any team to do that in today's NFL with the way the rules favor the offense. It's just not our game. I said at halftime that all we have to do is force a few turnovers and we win. You can't just say the defense sucks in the 1st half but when they do make plays in the 2nd half it's simply Cutler being Cutler. The only one I attribute that to is the Shields pick.

I guess I'm more optimistic about the defense and the team big picture than most people here. I like our secondary, I think HHCD only gets better as the year goes. I still have hope for Datone Jones to be a player. Neal and Peppers are still pretty raw for the role they're in. I think there's enough on that side of the ball to be optimistic that things improve. As bad as some of those drives looked in the 1st half, I don't think this defense is as the hyperbole I read around here. "Historically bad", "I've never seen a defense this bad", "doesn't belong in the NFL" type stuff is overboard to me.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,237

Post#598 » by LUKE23 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:43 pm

The defense was ****. Yes, they forced turnovers which is part of D, but you cannot count on them and I don't consider those a defensive trend. The Bears did whatever they wanted to offensively and we not only couldn't stop the run whatsoever (against a meh run blocking OL), but we didn't even touch Cutler until late. This defense needs a TON of work. It's not good. Nowhere close.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#599 » by Ayt » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:44 pm

They had 235 rushing yards and 496 total yards. The turnovers were great, but they demolished us on a play by play basis. The Bears do have a fantastic offense, but nearly 500 yards of total offense is a ridiculous amount to give up.

Just for perspective, we had only one game in the 2011 season when we gave up more yardage and we set a record for most yards allowed that season.

The Bears tied for the 24th most total offense allowed in the history of the Packers going back to 1940.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#600 » by Newz » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:46 am

Wait... why does the game thread say 'Game 3'? :P

Return to Green Bay Packers