ImageImage

Vikings Leadup

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Re: Vikings Leadup 

Post#21 » by Siefer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:09 pm

It's a shame how bad our front seven is, because we really do have a good secondary. Unfortunately, a good front seven can compensate for a weak secondary much better than the reverse.
CousinOfDeath
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,260

Post#22 » by CousinOfDeath » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:31 pm

We need to get a lead early so they're forced to play into our defensive strengths (secondary, passy rush apparently).

That's a general statement. The Vikes are on their 3rd string QB and don't have AP so this game shouldn't be much of a problem.
suckfish wrote:Reminder: NBA players are stupid.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,683

Post#23 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:08 pm

CousinOfDeath wrote:We need to get a lead early so they're forced to play into our defensive strengths (secondary, passy rush apparently).

That's a general statement. The Vikes are on their 3rd string QB and don't have AP so this game shouldn't be much of a problem.

Sadly, I think this might need to be our strategy for the rest of the season if this team is going to compete for a Super Bowl. Yeah I know, every team wants to "get a lead early", but that just seems to be the way our team is built, similar to those 2000s Colts teams with Manning. Get us a lead and let our pass rushers (Peppers and Clay are our Mathis and Freeney) pin their ears back and rush the QB.

Teams that can't run the ball and can't stop the run won't go very far in the playoffs. We need just one of those to change, and hopefully Lacy gets it going soon so that defenses aren't loading up solely to defend the pass. I just have little faith that our D-line is suddenly going to get bigger and stronger as the season wears on...
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#24 » by Mags FTW » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:44 pm

I know Viling fans are excited about Bridgewater, but my god. The worship is annoying.
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Post#25 » by Twolf16 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:17 am

Mags FTW wrote:I know Viling fans are excited about Bridgewater, but my god. The worship is annoying.

You might have some perspective if you cheered for a team that has had such bad quarterback talent recently. Basically it's similar to the Eddie Lacy reactions last year.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#26 » by GB_Packers » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:32 am

Didn't realize the reactions for Lacy started after a game and a half played in the league.
packfan414
Senior
And1: 171

Post#27 » by packfan414 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:44 am

In Twolfs defense, if I was a fan of one of the worst franchises in the NFL, I'd get excited about bridgewater too
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#28 » by WiscoKing13 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:34 am

GB_Packers wrote:Didn't realize the reactions for Lacy started after a game and a half played in the league.
clearly we should have waited a season

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#29 » by Mags FTW » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:30 am

GB_Packers wrote:Didn't realize the reactions for Lacy started after a game and a half played in the league.

Not to mention, "Touchdown Teddy" hasn't even thrown one yet. Had a chance yesterday and overthrew his man by 5 yards.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#30 » by WRau1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:48 am

I won't feel safe against anyone with the way our D is playing. How in the hell can you run a 3-4 without a NT and good ILBs? It's like we're running a bizzaro 3-4.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#31 » by Mags FTW » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:55 am

WRau1 wrote:I won't feel safe against anyone with the way our D is playing. How in the hell can you run a 3-4 without a NT and good ILBs? It's like we're running the anti 3-4.

I'm sure it will be a Shootout, but all my Viking friends think their D is stellar because the went from poop to average.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#32 » by bigkurty » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:09 am

Bridgewater did look pretty good so that sucks.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#33 » by RRyder823 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:16 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:
clearly we should have waited a season

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Cause clearly Laceys career is going to be set in stone after 4 games this year where we went up against 3 top rush defences and not the whole of last year when he won offensive ROY.

Im not saying Lacey doesnt need to stop dancing on his way to the hole and I dont want to single anyone out but seriously its sickening how quickly some fans can jump ship on a player. Stay on or dont jump on board in the first place. But like I said for anyones opinion of a player to completely change after 4 games is like I said..... Sickening
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Vikings Leadup 

Post#34 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:18 am

What other good running back in the league has his fans saying "stop running him to the outside?"

I don't think he's brutally bad, I just hadn't been fully on the hype train even last year.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,606

Post#35 » by Balls2TheWalls » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:15 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:What other good running back in the league has his fans saying "stop running him to the outside?"

I don't think he's brutally bad, I just hadn't been fully on the hype train even last year.

The issue is more how we run him to the outside. The pitch is awful. Our tackles allow too much direct penetration. Eddie has also been shying away from first contact more in the last 2 games than I have seen him do.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,728

Post#36 » by emunney » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:42 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:What other good running back in the league has his fans saying "stop running him to the outside?"

I don't want to stop running him to the outside because he can't run to the outside, I want to stop running to the outside because our execution on those plays is terrible. Lacy has to break 2 tackles before he gets to the LOS on every freaking pitch. It's not like I want a different RB for those plays.

I just think he's stuck in his own head a little bit right now and needs to reclaim his identity as a runner. He's questioning stuff that he needs to trust.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#37 » by Aaron It Out » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:12 am

I think Lacy needs to get better at plowing through offensive linemen that aren't creating even an inch of a hole for him. He should also truck stick those defenders who are routinely in the backfield on our run plays. He should really be in full acceleration when he's handed the ball out of the shotgun in our own endzone too. You're right Kerb, he's not BRUTALLY bad, but he sure isn't very good.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#38 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:35 pm

There are several plays that I saw on Sunday where most NFL backs would have burst out for 25+ yards and Lacy got 6. That's the problem, AaronItOut.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#39 » by Newz » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:39 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:There are several plays that I saw on Sunday where most NFL backs would have burst out for 25+ yards and Lacy got 6. That's the problem, AaronItOut.

So you honestly think if Starks was playing instead of Lacy that we would have run for like 150-250 yards?

I didn't see that many plays where the offensive line opened up holes. I agree that Starks looks superior to Lacy so far this year... but just giving up on Lacy after four games seems like a major mistakes. I think you guys are overreacting big time. Maybe Lacy is just a flash in the pan, maybe he keeps dancing behind the line for the rest of his career and is garbage... but if he starts running hard and punishing defenders again, he's going to be just fine.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#40 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:42 pm

Starks looked superior to Lacy last year as well (and as I said earlier in the thread, he doesn't get as many carries, so grain of salt).

I don't think he's NFL garbage, but I do think he's more middle of the pack. He isn't bad for the role here. He isn't a bad pass-catcher, he can plunge in on short scores, and he can get 3.5 yards a lot instead of backwards stuff (I agree it will improve).

I just think he was overrated by some thinking he's going to be elite. Hell, he still even may be in fantasy with the short plunges he will get.

There were a few plays up the middle where Lacy had openings for another cut and he could make something out of it and he isn't fast enough to make it. He just pushes through the linebacker getting blocked. Starks makes those a lot more often for 15 yards or more.

Return to Green Bay Packers