ImageImage

PGT: Saints

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,158
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: PGT: Saints 

Post#61 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:47 pm

James1980 wrote:Watch the week 17 Bears game last year, Raji was getting pushed back 5 yards just about every play as well.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Don't completely disagree. I'm saying that lined up at NT he might have a chance to be a decent run-stopper.

Gone are the days, though, when we had Raji/Pickett/Jolly/even Howard Green in various forms of space-eating dominance. There was never a point where all of them were at their peak at the same time, but we at least had some of those guys on the roster.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#62 » by El Duderino » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:49 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:There's nothing "mental" about the Packers struggles this year. We just have a terrible, awful, pathetic group of guys up front against the run.

Guys are getting pushed back 5-6 yards at the line of scrimmage. That's not "mental", that's just the other guys whipping the **** out of our guys, which is the main issue we've had against the "better teams" that can simply run the ball all over us, control time of possession, and keep Rodgers off the field.

I get that the criticisms of TT are that he hasn't drafted well on the D-line and at ILB, but he actually has drafted guys that supposedly "fit" Capers' 3-4 defense. It's on Dom to either:

A) Tinker with lineups and switch positions where necessary (It's inexcusable how long it took for him to realize that Lattimore is better and Brad Jones is garbage), or

B) Trash the scheme and run more 4-3 looks/jumbo packages.

So sick of us seeing the same old formations and small, under-sized fronts and getting the same result over and over again. They say the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...

Hey, i'm more than ready to move on from Capers, but i also don't think Ted has drafted well long the front seven either.

Perry is making some plays here and there this year, but he's a part time player. D. Jones has yet to make much impact. Daniels is a really nice interior pass rusher, but we've seen multiple times this year now that he's playing lots of snaps on early downs that he gets pushed around in the running game and also hasn't then hasn't had much impact as a rusher. Thorton looks like a 3rd round bust. Neal has moments here and there, but that's about it. Capers just might be saddled with the worst collection of talent at ILB in the league.

I do really like the Dix selection even with his struggles Sunday and overall the secondary is talented and a strength. A quality secondary though can only do so much when the front seven struggles to often. I think the defensive struggles the last few years vs mobile QB's like Kaepernik caused Ted and McCarthy to maybe over-compensate in just how small they got up front, especially given how bad the inside backers are. So now to often teams are able to play power football and run the ball down the Packers throats.

On offense, the offensive line play overall has also been disappointing for what looked to be a really good group. Bulaga and Baktiari have been far to erratic as pass blockers between pressures allowed and penalties.. The running game also very erratic in production. We also saw the paper thin depth on the line exposed once Lang got hurt because Lane Taylor was terrible as a replacement. Hopefully Tretter can be groomed to fill in at guard if either of Sitton/Lang gets injured. We also have no good blocking tight ends

It's up front on both sides of the ball which has caused the most problems in losses this year and makes me most concerned going forward. Talent is there at the skill positions on offense and the secondary on defense.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,105

Post#63 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:38 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:There's nothing "mental" about the Packers struggles this year. We just have a terrible, awful, pathetic group of guys up front against the run.

Guys are getting pushed back 5-6 yards at the line of scrimmage. That's not "mental", that's just the other guys whipping the **** out of our guys, which is the main issue we've had against the "better teams" that can simply run the ball all over us, control time of possession, and keep Rodgers off the field.

I get that the criticisms of TT are that he hasn't drafted well on the D-line and at ILB, but he actually has drafted guys that supposedly "fit" Capers' 3-4 defense. It's on Dom to either:

A) Tinker with lineups and switch positions where necessary (It's inexcusable how long it took for him to realize that Lattimore is better and Brad Jones is garbage), or

B) Trash the scheme and run more 4-3 looks/jumbo packages.

So sick of us seeing the same old formations and small, under-sized fronts and getting the same result over and over again. They say the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...

Right. Again, at what point do you call Johnny Jolly? He's out there. He's effective against the run. He eats up blockers (and burgers...and bacon...and codeine). Problem is, TT and Fat Mac are both so nauseatingly stubborn, we rarely see in-season moves to at least attempt to get better. The Aaron Rodgers bandaid masks so many warts. Thats great and awful at the same time.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#64 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:02 pm

They're so stubborn that they are doing something 31 other teams aren't doing - calling Jolly.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,526

Post#65 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:39 pm

I don't know if guys like Jolly or Pickett would or would have been the answer. I admittedly don't have a definite solution to our run D woes, but that's why you employ a coaching staff and scouts to comb over every possible option out there.

Every off-season we keep hearing about how improved this defense is and how "player X" brings an attitude and physicality to this team (it was supposed to be Daniels this year), but nothing ever seems to change and we consistently rank either dead last or bottom-5 in run defense year in and year out.

We've had multiple off-seasons to improve the line, and I just can't put it all on Ted, because this coaching staff has to start identifying what players it needs and put their existing ones in position to succeed. Because by all indications, this is the defensive personnel that Dom's defenses have thrived with in the past (athletic pass-rushers, ball-hawking secondary). I can't blame Ted for this team's failures in scheme & execution.

At this point, yeah, it is what it is. There probably isn't a whole lot we can do until the draft, but that's partly what makes it so frustrating.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#66 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:19 pm

Pickett has bounced around on a few practice squads and nobody has called Jolly. I agree that the best "fit" for both players would be for the Packers to call them up since they'd fit right back in...but I think the fact that it says something about Jolly's health/ability and Pickett's ability to play at this point in his career that neither has seen an NFL field really this season.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,486

Post#67 » by th87 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:39 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:
th87 wrote:An example of this was heavily manifested in 2011 Giants playoff game. Rodgers was missing throws he makes in his sleep, didn't look like his usual comfortable self, and thus timing was off, and turnovers ensued. You could say that it was the Giants play that caused this, but I assert that there was just something "off" with the Packers that day. I can't prove it, or expect to convince you, but this is what I believe.

I sometimes find it kind of crazy that somebody in their living room can get a collective temperature reading on the confidence and clutch-y-ness of 55 players and 20 coaches.

I find it more ridiculous when somebody picks something like that.

Aaron Rodgers threw a football literally to a thimble in the Super Bowl. He had god mode on in the playoffs. He had the Dolphins game recently where he made several clutch plays.

But now, you want to attribute the Giants game in 2011 to your perceived value of his or the team's confidence? How about a fluke that Ryan Grant and co. dropped/fumbled several balls. Rodgers did miss passes but why does it have to do with his confidence? Maybe the defense had him in some tough positions and he is not a machine, he is only "really good" on 95% of his throws?

I actually would contest that if you watched that Giants game, the loss was on just about everybody else but him. He only had a few throws to turn the game and he missed a few/a few were dropped. Wasn't there one where he had a guy wide open and the ball was barely tipped out of his hand to push the ball to a defender or something like that? That's not confidence, that is luck and the circumstances of the game.

I think there is like a 100 game sample to show that the guy does not "lack confidence" in a random game that he wasn't a god. That's a ridiculous cherry-pick and kinda blows holes in people's idea that they can tell when a guy isn't "confident" or "mentally strong" for a game.

I'm not saying that these sorts of things don't exist. I'm just saying that people are wrong wayyyy more than they are right when they try to guess this stuff.

Didn't intend to single Rodgers out for this. The others were definitely more to blame than Rodgers was (Grant, Finley, etc.); I brought Rodgers up to simply illustrate that he wasn't as sharp as he normally is, as an example. And to me, those other players seemed to make mistakes that they wouldn't normally. You're right on that.

But to me, the team just looked tight as a whole. I don't expect to convince you, but I do believe in stuff like this. The Schottenheimer teams and the 90s Oilers had a certain feel during the season, and then a different one when the playoffs rolled around, for example. Again, just my opinion. I fully expect mocking "looks like they're not tight today" type posts in game threads when we're blowing people out. :D
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,214

Post#68 » by HKPackFan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:22 am

Newz wrote:I think the Packers struggling against good teams comes down to these things:

1. Our defense is built to play with a lead. We actually have quite a few good pass rushers and our secondary is very talented. However, if games are close or another team gets a lead our defense is going to have troubles. When the opposing team can stay balanced we have major issues stopping the run and it ends up impacting our whole defense. Against good teams we don't play with a lead as often and they stick to a more balanced attack.
2. Our offensive line is reasonable, but not great. They tend to seem to struggle against the very good four man fronts that good teams tend to have. Because of this Rodgers has less time and is often running for his life. Our tackles in particular need to get better as Bulaga is starting to make a habit out of being abused by good pass rushers and Bahktiari leads the league in holds I believe. They also struggle to help get the running game going against good teams, which leads to us having a one dimensional attack and their defense being able to tee off.

I agree the team is built to play with the lead. I think MM and Capers in their infinite wisdom figured they would get 80 offensive plays per game and 30 points and just need a Defense that can play pass D. Of course that's speculation, but I mentioned in another post Clay said a few things in the post game remarks that I felt clued me into their philosophy.

Clay mentioned they had to settle for FG's and they couldn't get a lead, and they couldn't make the saints One Dimensional.

You'd think if you are a defensive leader for the team you'd PRIDE yourself on STOPPING the other team, not caring if they RUN, PASS, FART, whatever...You stop it. I was surprised to hear a defensive leader complaining about not scoring in the redzone. WTF!? That doesn't concern you, do your job and stop the man in front of you. Why can't you stop a team if they are not one dimensional??? He mentioned it a couple times about them not being one dimensional.

Also agree there are no fatties on this D. BJ Raji was our only one, and as someone mentioned, he was worthless last year. I think a blocking sled would have been more effective last year, I watched him being pushed around like a whimpy fat kid in middle school. He was just awful.

That's why this team fails when they face a decent balanced opponent. It seems the defense is only built to stop teams when the offense is up 21 to 0 and they can just rush the passer all day.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#69 » by Jollay » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:02 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Jollay wrote:no effort to see if Lang can continue, etc. etc.

wut

:lol:

Hpw do you [Jollay] think the conversation went?

TJ: I hurt my ankle.
Staff: You're done for the game.
TJ: No, I mean, I might still be able to try it out...
Staff: NO, YOU'RE HURT, YOU'RE OUT OF THE GAME.
TJ: I actually don't think it's that bad...
Staff: YOU'RE LEAVING. GO SIT ON THE TEAM BUS!

He may very well have not been able to play in this case. However, friend of a friend in the know said they ordered immediate ice and didn't even want to see--not saying send him in, but at least try it out on the sideline/locker room. The sideline reporter mentioned this as well.

This is typical for the Packers, and it happened with Lang last year as well. Yanked from the game with a minor injury but in next week.

There is a mentality that the Packers just need to tread water, stay relatively healthy and then coast through the playoffs (even as a WC if necessary) like 2010. That's unfortunate, because it really probably isn't going to happen.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by Jollay » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:05 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Pickett has bounced around on a few practice squads and nobody has called Jolly. I agree that the best "fit" for both players would be for the Packers to call them up since they'd fit right back in...but I think the fact that it says something about Jolly's health/ability and Pickett's ability to play at this point in his career that neither has seen an NFL field really this season.

I thought I saw Pickett play a decent amount for Houston either last week or the week before? Or am I confusing somebody else?
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#71 » by eagle13 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:11 pm

Comments on Defense

DLine – where’s the beef?
Daniels is too small to play 3-4 DE & His inside pass rush ability is being wasted
ditto Jones (tho he may yet develop vs run in another year)
Matthews is playing poorly vs run so use Perry
Dix > Hyde
Action – sign Jolly – redeploy personnel vs run downs

VS RUN DOWNS
ILB suck so reduce them. Beef up the DL & use it to stop run. Go big 4-3
Guion and Boyd at DE / Jolly & Pennel at DT
Perry & Peppers at OLB / Lattimore at MLB
Burnet & Dix at S / Shields & Williams at CB

VS PASSING DOWNS
Daniels & Jones at DT
Peppers & Matthews at OLB / Lattimore at MLB
Burnet & Dix at S / Shields & Williams at CB / Hayward at NB
Richardson given multiple duties as Dime/In-Box/Spy
(Neal rotates at DT & OLB)

Maybe also sign old vet MLB & DT who can deliver 1 more year
to make room for those 2 & Jolly- release Bradford, Robinson & Goodson maybe to PS
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Jollay » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:11 pm

Regarding the defense, we all know what it is. I highly agree with the school of thought that it is built for a lead...it's chock-full of one-dimensional guys who specialize in (kind of) rushing the pass.

Still, while I expected New Orleans to get its points, I also expected more pressure on Brees, and more plays like the one where Peppers got him. Disappointing, but thats what establishing the run will do to counter our pass rush.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#73 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:27 pm

Jollay wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Pickett has bounced around on a few practice squads and nobody has called Jolly. I agree that the best "fit" for both players would be for the Packers to call them up since they'd fit right back in...but I think the fact that it says something about Jolly's health/ability and Pickett's ability to play at this point in his career that neither has seen an NFL field really this season.

I thought I saw Pickett play a decent amount for Houston either last week or the week before? Or am I confusing somebody else?

It's possible. I had just heard he was signed and didn't really see any news beyond that.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#74 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:36 pm

th87 wrote:
Didn't intend to single Rodgers out for this. The others were definitely more to blame than Rodgers was (Grant, Finley, etc.); I brought Rodgers up to simply illustrate that he wasn't as sharp as he normally is, as an example. And to me, those other players seemed to make mistakes that they wouldn't normally. You're right on that.

But to me, the team just looked tight as a whole. I don't expect to convince you, but I do believe in stuff like this. The Schottenheimer teams and the 90s Oilers had a certain feel during the season, and then a different one when the playoffs rolled around, for example. Again, just my opinion. I fully expect mocking "looks like they're not tight today" type posts in game threads when we're blowing people out. :D

There was a good article about Bill James recently written http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/bill-james-statistical-revolution/.

It kinda splits the difference here on what we're talking about. He and other stats-junkies have caused this skepticism in most things, and rightfully so. That said, he also apologizes for adding too much skepticism in "leadership added" and things that are similar to what you are talking about. They are tough to quantify, but people like me use that as a "it must be BS" measure.

He also discusses other factors, though, like talking about a football team losing. An example of a team struggling on the road in the 1st quarter and then crushing a lesser opponent in quarters 2-4. The announcers then decide that it must be because the road team got in late and didn't sleep in their own beds. Empty stadium, etc.

Kinda a sidebar here because it's an interesting topic. I think "leadership" "toughness" whatever your mental analysis characteristic exists. That said, I think it's a huge crutch. "They lost a big game, must be a soft coach." I tend to look at the players on the field a lot, because that normally will tell you the story.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,486

Post#75 » by th87 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 9:38 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
th87 wrote:

There was a good article about Bill James recently written http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/bill-james-statistical-revolution/.

It kinda splits the difference here on what we're talking about. He and other stats-junkies have caused this skepticism in most things, and rightfully so. That said, he also apologizes for adding too much skepticism in "leadership added" and things that are similar to what you are talking about. They are tough to quantify, but people like me use that as a "it must be BS" measure.

He also discusses other factors, though, like talking about a football team losing. An example of a team struggling on the road in the 1st quarter and then crushing a lesser opponent in quarters 2-4. The announcers then decide that it must be because the road team got in late and didn't sleep in their own beds. Empty stadium, etc.

Kinda a sidebar here because it's an interesting topic. I think "leadership" "toughness" whatever your mental analysis characteristic exists. That said, I think it's a huge crutch. "They lost a big game, must be a soft coach." I tend to look at the players on the field a lot, because that normally will tell you the story.

That's an excellent article. It's definitely true that there is BS being spewed that gets played off as actual analysis, and it's also true that the pendulum has swung the other way as well. As with anything in life, a balance is necessary, and the more time a person spends actually exposed to a concept, without preconceived notions, the better they will be at analyzing stuff. Most don't care to though. Nobody will ever be perfect, of course.

I recommend Gladwell's book, Blink. In it, he discusses unexplainable inputs that cause "gut feelings", and becoming good at "thin slicing" situations as you gain expertise. Of course these things may be abused, and people tend to overestimate their powers in this, I agree.

But I do think there's definitely something to the mental aspects of sports (perhaps significant), and perhaps a coaching staff has influence on these things. This is not to say the Packers are a "soft" team or whatever - I don't necessarily agree with that assessment as it has been abused, but I wouldn't dismiss the concept of team psyches right away.

The concept of "Flow" in psychology is another fascinating concept: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28psychology%29. For those unfamiliar, it basically constitutes the complete, hyper-focused immersion into a certain activity. I think Rodgers periodically goes into that (with the most memorable example being his march through Atlanta in 2010). For those of you who play sports, hasn't there been a time where you couldn't be stopped? That everything slowed down, etc.?

Maybe certain teams/players/coaches are better than others at reaching this state.

And if this exists, then the opposite certainly does, where you just can't seem to get right, and nothing is working. You can't perform the same way you normally do. We hear about inexplicable basketball slumps (e.g. Nick Anderson), or batting slumps. For example, when people lose their immersion and start to focus on aspects of the activity, or external factors, and thus lose sight of the "sum" of the activity, then their performance becomes varying degrees of "not-as-good" compared to the Flow state.

These players are human, and thus I think this can happen to some extent. Players often describe the nervousness before a game, and it's certain that "external" factors have the theoretical ability affect a player. How much it does, I think, depends on the player, the mood he's in, how he feels about what he ate, whether he remembers exactly what his detractors said, how he handles crowds, his ability to block out distractions, etc., etc. So basically everything, I think, contributes a theoretical percentage to a player's mental state.

In professional sports, where the margin between good and not good is so small, this could definitely have some non-trivial effect.

Which brings me to the concept of "clutch." Many believe that there's some extra level that, say, Eli Manning reaches when the chips are down. But it's probably not that. Maybe it's that when a game is close, *everyone else* starts getting nervous, starts to press, starts worrying about what the papers will say (or whatever), and starts to lose their Flow. People start playing worse. Maybe the "clutch" player has a slightly better ability to block out these thoughts and continues to play at his normal level, while everyone around him gets worse, giving the illusion that he's elevated his play.

Return to Green Bay Packers