Postgame: Bears at Packers

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Re: Postgame: Bears at Packers 

Post#61 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:22 pm

Jollay wrote:Yeah, some caution on the Clay thing. Offenses will adjust and run right at him eventually.

But clearly it was an innovative good move. We had too many rush the passer outside types and a sideline to sideline presence at ILB can potentially be game-changing.

If the NFC wasn't so wide open, I'd advocate just not playing the rest of our games. It just doesn't get any better than last night non-SB.

Do we know enough about Clay as a MLB to say that's a negative?
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#62 » by JimmyTheKid » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:32 pm

eagle13 wrote:Matthews move inside impacts 3 of the 4 LB spots.
He is a huge upgrade over Jones, lattimore, barington
Clay makes hawk better (and as someone said Hawk can position Clay)
perry is better at containing the edge than Matthews (Neal replaces Perry for more pass rush)

I agree it will be the test when we see a team run straight at Matthews.

Also 4 good adjustment Capers/M3 made to Dline that didn’t get mentioned yet.
* Moving Daniels inside to DT full time on both running and passing downs
* Guion or Boyd as DT on runs downs next to Daniels
* Return to teaming DJones and Daniels inside on pass downs.
* having Pepper & Perry alternate lining up as DE with hands in the dirt and then at other times line up in OLB stance

All in all this is potentially the best bye-week adjustment I’ve ever seen out of a McCarthy staff.
If this holds up its SB here we come!

Yup. Very, very refreshing. I thought our decision makers were too stubborn to take a long hard look in the mirror, admit somethings not working, and make a serious change. Well, they made a series of serious changes on the defensive side of the ball. What was there to lose? Granted the Bears helped make MM and DC look like geniuses, but props to those two for making the proper adjustments on the DLine. And that Clay Matthews at middle linebacker thing came out of nowhere, but makes a whole lot of sense if you want your "best 11 on the field," as MM has been saying all season.
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 242

Post#63 » by zmanishere11 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:48 pm

Susan wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
I mean, it might be his. He gave Cutler a butt load of money. He hired Trestman. He put together a defense that has absolutely no talent.

What? He's doing a fine job imo. They should definitely keep him

I don't think/hope Emery is going to get canned. He's done a good job of getting elite talent in here via the draft (sans Shea) with Fuller, Long and Jeffery. His free agent moves of Allen, Houston, Young, Bushrod and Bennett have been solid as well and he got Marshall for very little. He addressed all the needs of the team and Trestman really has done a terrible job of putting it all together.

It's just that Trestman isn't a leader and clearly these guys are all going in separate directions. The team lacks an semblance of an identity, backbone and leader.

I think this is a little delusional.

Allen has been trash. Houston hurt himself celebrating while getting your arse kicked. Bushrod is a turnstile.

The problem on offense is Jay Cutler.

The problem on defense is the complete lack of actual NFL talent.

I thought the commentators last night did a really good job of keeping the game somewhat entertaining. The one stat that just shocked me was this:

# of guys on your NFL Roster who played for other teams:

Chicago: 31 (most in the league)

Green Bay: 5 (least in the league, by far)

Next question: who are those 5 players for GB??????

Without looking looking my guess was: Matt Flynn, Julius Peppers, Tramon Williams, Jarrett Bush, Latroy Guion

I don't think the importance of that an be overlooked!
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#64 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:20 pm

I think we'll get a better vibe of the Matthews at ILB experiment next week against McCoy/Sproles, and a team that will actually stay committed to the run, unlike Chicago.

But yeah, it was a glaring success last night. I have to give credit to Capers for actually taking advantage of the bye week and making a significant change like that.
bullox
Banned User
And1: 522

Post#65 » by bullox » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:38 pm

Bucks_the_trend
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#66 » by Bucks_the_trend » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:17 pm

zmanishere11 wrote:
Susan wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:

I think Tolzien and Kuhn instead of Bush and Williams (I think both of them were cut by others during the preseason).
jtf150
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#67 » by jtf150 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:13 pm

anyone see this? LOL

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/rodgers ... owout-loss

Rodgers, Packers knew Bears' defensive signals in blowout loss

At different points of their 55-14 crushing of the Bears on Sunday night, Aaron Rodgers and the Packers offense sure seemed to have the Bears defense figured out, almost to the degree of knowing what the Bears were going to do.

In fact, they did. They could hear what the Bears were planning to do.

In the second quarter of Sunday night's 55-14 win at Lambeau Field, Rodgers exploited a blown coverage in the Bears defense and wound up hitting a wide-open Jordy Nelson for a 73-yard touchdown.

"It was a blown coverage. We could see that," Nelson said. "I might be wrong, but based off what we could hear them doing, Aaron checked to a different route and in that process, it sounded like they were checking to Cover-2.

"The way [Bears cornerback Tim Jennings] played it, he played Cover-2 and the safety still stayed 1-high."

[SHOP: Get your 2014 Bears gear here]

So did the Packers — or at least Rodgers — know the Bears' defensive signals?

That would sure explain the 10 touchdown passes and zero interceptions from Rodgers against the Bears this season in just over three halves of football.

"I don't want to say they played poorly," Nelson said. "I don't know what their schemes completely are. I'd like to just give us credit for executing the plays."

It's an ominous echo of the season-ending mistakes from the Bears defense coming against Rodgers and Co. The Bears' 2013 season came to a definitive end when Chris Conte did not get a defensive signal changing coverage and Aaron Rodgers hit Randall Cobb for a touchdown on fourth down in the final minute of the final game. Green Bay went on to capture the NFC North and the Bears went to their couches.

Rodgers has torn the Bears apart in both games this season, tossing four TD passes in Week 4 at Soldier Field and throwing for six scores in the first half Sunday night in Green Bay.

On the other side, the Green Bay defense still seems to have Jay Cutler and the Bears offense figured out, as well. Cutler turned the ball over three times as he lost to the Packers for the 10th time in 11 tries in a Bears uniform.

So...same old Jay?

"You can say that; I can't," Packers cornerback Tramon Williams said with a laugh. "...I get those questions a lot, I just don't know what to say about them. I guess we match up well against those guys. Time after time, we play well against them.

"Typically, it's usually a closer game, but this one was a total blowout. Even though we usually play well against them, you look up at the scoreboard and the game's still close.

"It was the total opposite today. It was fun to play this game and it was one we needed."

[MORE: Bears facing crisis “What now?” questions after humiliation in Green Bay]

While Williams is right, the Packers have played the Bears well in the Cutler Era; Green Bay has turned a corner this year and has absolutely dominated the NFL's oldest rivalry. Rodgers and Co. have outscored the Bears 93-31 in two games this season.

"The first game [Sept. 28] was actually tighter than [the scoreboard showed]. Those guys moved the ball well. They did some good things," Williams said. "But this time around, we adjusted to some of those things.

"They got a lot of good players over there. You gotta give them respect where respect is due. We just made some adjustments that we felt we needed to make. And we executed in all three phases of the game. Any time you get a team doing that, it's going to be tough to beat."

While the Bears are still searching for their identity in the midst of what is quickly becoming a lost season, the Packers feel like they're coming into their own.

"I think it's just our consistency and knowing what we have, knowing the guys in this locker room and the mentality," Cobb said. "We know who we are and we believe in each other and I think we've created our identity over the last few weeks."

"You can't go into a game thinking you'd get up six touchdowns in the first half," Nelson said. "We had a feeling that we'd be able to be successful if we did what we were supposed to do. And that's what happened."
“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''” - Muhammad Ali
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#68 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:21 pm

I'm not really sure what that article is inferring. It's usually pretty easy for a superb QB to read that a team is in cover 2. The fact that Rodgers knew they were in cover 2 had nothing to do with the fact that one of their safeties accidentally played single-high.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#69 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:53 am

It doesn't matter what coverage they were in or that Rodgers knew what coverage they were in. It was a blown coverage. Over and over.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#70 » by Iheartfootball » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:57 am

"But It'll probably just smolder and throw a couple interceptions."

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuVP2XOx-8E#t=23[/youtube]
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#71 » by Jollay » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:48 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Jollay wrote:Yeah, some caution on the Clay thing. Offenses will adjust and run right at him eventually.

But clearly it was an innovative good move. We had too many rush the passer outside types and a sideline to sideline presence at ILB can potentially be game-changing.

If the NFC wasn't so wide open, I'd advocate just not playing the rest of our games. It just doesn't get any better than last night non-SB.

Do we know enough about Clay as a MLB to say that's a negative?

Not yet. But I guarantee you that offensive coordinators will test it out immediately.

I am strongly for the move. What I really also like is we can see what Nick Perry has a starter instead of letting him putter around as a part-time starter.

Time to see what the guy has. Either he's a full-time starter or not. Looks promising so far.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,278

Post#72 » by HKPackFan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:05 am

Clay mathews sometimes sucks at containing the edge. He will get his sacks and pressures but on run downs he can completely lose containment charging forward and can be a liability.

I like him at MLB where he can charge forward like a maniac and he's not opening a big hole on the right side.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using RealGM Forums mobile app
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Green Bay Packers