ImageImage

Gary Anderson to Oregon State (Chryst hired pg.7)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: Gary Anderson to Oregon State (Chryst likely new coach p 

Post#141 » by El Duderino » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:11 am

paulpressey25 wrote:I'm down with Chyrst. We needed a safe hire at this point to maintain being a 9-10 win a year program. Chryst can do that and Barry can help him recruit.

I'm reasonably ok with Chryst and one positive of getting a coach so quick is it could help with keeping some of the 2015 recruiting class by those kids not having to spend awhile twisting in the wind wondering who the new coach will be. Chryst can talk to these kids ASAP and try to convince them into staying.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,593

Post#142 » by TroyD92 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:18 am

My interest in Wisconsin football has dived quite a bit since Andersen was hired. Chryst isn't sexy, but I like the hire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using RealGM Forums mobile app
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,214

Post#143 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:58 pm

Good hire. And doing it quickly has a lot of benefits. Joe Rudoph likely coming back and Bob Bostad may be back as well.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#144 » by BigDee » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:42 pm

I like it the hire. Seems like the right choice.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Post#145 » by RiotPunch » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:58 pm

Didn't think he'd come back. Great hire.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,944

Post#146 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:58 pm

He was the guy I wanted two years ago. Still like it now.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,546

Post#147 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:34 pm

Not a big fan. Sure, he's a logical choice because of his experience with us and the fact that he's a hometown guy, which definitely makes him easy to root for.

But he just seems like he's the option by default, and I think he was just as much to blame for our inconsistent offenses as Beilema was. I'll reserve judgment on his HC abilities, and I hope he proves me wrong.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Re: Gary Anderson to Oregon State (Chryst hired pg.7) 

Post#148 » by LUKE23 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:49 pm

I think Chryst is a good hire for keeping Kafentzis. That's the key here because he's probably the highest rated QB recruit we've ever had. Him plus the two four star RB in 2015/2016, and we should be able to keep our offense rolling. I also think Chryst's offense should lead us to be able to get some better WR.

All that said, he didn't do much at Pitt, not that that means a lot, and many have questioned his willingness to recruit hard. We shouldn't have to worry about him leaving though, so hopefully that helps with some continuity.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#149 » by Newz » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:54 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I think Chryst is a good hire for keeping Kafentzis. That's the key here because he's probably the highest rated QB recruit we've ever had. Him plus the two four star RB in 2015/2016, and we should be able to keep our offense rolling. I also think Chryst's offense should lead us to be able to get some better WR.

All that said, he didn't do much at Pitt, not that that means a lot, and many have questioned his willingness to recruit hard. We shouldn't have to worry about him leaving though, so hopefully that helps with some continuity.

I don't remember Chryst much because I admit I don't watch a ton of college football outside of big games... and I start watching tape/highlights come draft time.

Does he run more of a "pro style" offense?
LarryFlanders
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#150 » by LarryFlanders » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:01 pm

Newz wrote:I don't remember Chryst much because I admit I don't watch a ton of college football outside of big games... and I start watching tape/highlights come draft time.

Yea, lots of double tight end I formations and stuff like that. If you are at all familiar with the type of offense we ran 2005 - 2011 that was him.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,597

Post#151 » by tski1972 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Newz wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:I think Chryst is a good hire for keeping Kafentzis. That's the key here because he's probably the highest rated QB recruit we've ever had. Him plus the two four star RB in 2015/2016, and we should be able to keep our offense rolling. I also think Chryst's offense should lead us to be able to get some better WR.

I don't remember Chryst much because I admit I don't watch a ton of college football outside of big games... and I start watching tape/highlights come draft time.

yes, Chryst was much more "pro style" when he was here, though I heard he did recruit more of the duel threat type qb's at Pitt. If Kafentzis decides to remain at UW, I'm sure Chryst will work the offense around his strengths.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,546

Post#152 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Newz wrote:

A knock on him was that he didn't fully utilize Russell Wilson's play-making ability and ran too much of a vanilla run/play-action offense. Don't know how fair that is considering that Russell kind of had a tendency to go off the rails in the bigger conference games (ironic considering what he is now in the pros).

I would expect that with the incoming talent we have, he'll be able to fully implement his system better than he was able to at Pitt. It could just be that he didn't have the talent/personnel to run his offense there. At Wisconsin, his recruiting pool will be much deeper.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Post#153 » by RiotPunch » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:10 pm

I echo the notion that we should pony up the money and try to keep Aranda on. Long shot that he stays, but I would love his fire to counter Chryst's laid back personality, especially on the recruiting trail.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#154 » by LUKE23 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:10 pm

I don't remember that criticism at all regarding Chryst and RW, and even if it was out there, it was a pretty big joke considering how great our offense was under Wilson.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#155 » by humanrefutation » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:23 pm

The best thing about hiring Chryst is that UW is his destination job. He's not going to be leaving anytime soon, which is great for recruits.

But, again, I'm not necessarily convinced he's the best coach we could have brought in.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#156 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:41 pm

The perfect OC for Coach Alvarez. ;)
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,478

Post#157 » by neiLz » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:09 pm

Not sure if this was brought up. Was listening to one of the sports talk yesterday and Kafentzis' dad was on talking about his commitment to UW. Looks like his son is staying with UW but his dad seemed super frustrated. His dad even layed out the process of admissions to UW and said it was frustrating even for his son who has a 3.95 GPA. He said his son is going to UW as long as the new coach is on board and wants Kafentzis.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#158 » by humanrefutation » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:41 pm

Looks like they're going to wait until they can legally make an offer to Chryst - December 17th - before they officially announce his hire.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/ ... eeca5.html
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,996

Post#159 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:30 pm

Some good talk radio the last 48-hours. I still will go back to the Browns thing as putting Anderson and Alvarez at odds with each other. I think when Anderson leveraged that for more money, it put Barry in a tough spot. Barry had pulled this guy out of the mid-majors for a huge promotion on all levels and here ten months later he's telling Barry he needs more money before he really proved himself. So Barry has to go beg the Regents on an emergency basis to get that done.

Also there was a former UW player on the radio who said apparently Anderson burned a lot of state high school coaches and the relationship within the state was bad. And this was causing friction. Finally there were some rumblings that Anderson's wife didn't like liberal party town Madison.

I just would like to know how long Anderson was working to get out and/or if Barry hinted at it post the Ohio State game debacle.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,944

Post#160 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:29 pm

Just heard the radio interview with that Austin kid's dad. Then, I'm sad to say, I listened to Bill Michaels talk about it. I'm even more infuriated about the admissions.

Return to Green Bay Packers