ImageImage

Gary Anderson to Oregon State (Chryst hired pg.7)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Re: Gary Anderson to Oregon State 

Post#101 » by JayMKE » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:36 pm

I think Chryst is the best hire right now, he's a Wisconsin guy and probably should of gotten the job instead of Andersen. He won't use the program as a stepping stone and it'll be an easy transition, after losing 2 coach in such a short amount of time I think stability is a very important factor in the coaching search. Is there so sexy a name out there that would be willing to come here and bring us to the next level? Probably not. Imagine how bad it would be for the program is they signed a guy who flamed out in a couple years or worse yet bolts, I'm confident that Chryst can continue on the tradition of Badger football.
FREE GIANNIS
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#102 » by humanrefutation » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:48 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:It seems like the narrative going around is that Alvarez is the big problem with the program. Coaches are finding out he's still the one running things.

That's no surprise. I'm not sure if he's planning to stay on for much longer as AD.

The challenge with such a big presence in Alvarez is that experienced coaches might be used to doing their own thing and don't want to clash with Barry, and younger coaches are more likely to be subservient to Barry but are also more likely to bolt for greener pastures.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#103 » by humanrefutation » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:50 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
LarryFlanders wrote:Kafentzis is reportedly committed to UW still.

His statement on Twitter said he was still committed but he has to talk things over with his father. Basically just a smart PR statement until the dust settles and he can make a decision from there.

I, for one, would be shocked if he doesn't follow Andersen to Oregon State. I've already marked him down as a loss for this program.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,887

Post#104 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:53 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:
LarryFlanders wrote:Kafentzis is reportedly committed to UW still.

His statement on Twitter said he was still committed but he has to talk things over with his father. Basically just a smart PR statement until the dust settles and he can make a decision from there.

I, for one, would be shocked if he doesn't follow Andersen to Oregon State. I've already marked him down as a loss for this program.

Yep
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#105 » by humanrefutation » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Well, there goes the assistant salary pool argument:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... -wisconsin

Oregon State actually checked in one spot behind Wisconsin nationally at No. 41 in payroll for assistants.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,022

Post#106 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:16 pm

Everything points to academics and Barry. From SI.com:

Any dissatisfaction with admissions policies is a murkier issue. The specifics matter, and we’re short on those. But anecdotally, we have a three-star linebacker prospect from Georgia named Mohamed Barry who decommitted from Wisconsin in October reportedly due to concerns that he wasn’t going to qualify academically in the end. It’s the sort of scenario that can burn up a coach and fester, especially if it happens more often than anyone knows.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#107 » by humanrefutation » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:49 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Everything points to academics and Barry. From SI.com:

Any dissatisfaction with admissions policies is a murkier issue. The specifics matter, and we’re short on those. But anecdotally, we have a three-star linebacker prospect from Georgia named Mohamed Barry who decommitted from Wisconsin in October reportedly due to concerns that he wasn’t going to qualify academically in the end. It’s the sort of scenario that can burn up a coach and fester, especially if it happens more often than anyone knows.

Barry mentioned to the WSJ that there was a recruit from Sun Prairie that Andersen really wanted but couldn't make the grade at UW - and that pissed of Andersen and stuck with him. That recruit ended up going to MSU.

Again, I'm fine with those decisions, but Andersen clearly didn't feel like he could coach at a school with high academic standards. I'm sure Oregon State will be more accommodating.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#108 » by humanrefutation » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:55 pm

Narduzzi would be an interesting name to pursue. MSU is worried about losing him, so much that the boosters just gave the program $3 million in part to keep Narduzzi there. I'm sure he'd get much more as head coach of the Badgers, though.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#109 » by Mags FTW » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:14 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#110 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:11 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Barry is coaching the bowl game.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId= ... m%2F%22%7D

Easy money.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,398

Post#111 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:32 pm

I'm fine with BA coaching the game. It's meaningless anyway.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#112 » by Mags FTW » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:38 pm

He can't do much worse than the last game.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#113 » by Ill-yasova » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:49 pm

4-star RB just flipped to the Badgers from Texas.

Sent From My Rotary Phone
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#114 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:57 pm

Interesting. Never heard of a player committing to a program without a coach.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#115 » by trwi7 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:42 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Everything points to academics and Barry. From SI.com:

Barry mentioned to the WSJ that there was a recruit from Sun Prairie that Andersen really wanted but couldn't make the grade at UW - and that pissed of Andersen and stuck with him. That recruit ended up going to MSU.

Again, I'm fine with those decisions, but Andersen clearly didn't feel like he could coach at a school with high academic standards. I'm sure Oregon State will be more accommodating.

Yeah, Craig Evans.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#116 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:50 pm

Its not a bad program but I can't imagine any "big" name Coach taking the job. The Big Ten has steadily become worse and watered down, and the Badgers are in the **** side of it. There is the Alvarez factor, the guy is still the god over the program and has his hands in the pie. I just don't see a big splash hire going there.

I kind of respect the academic standards, but in the landscape of college sports it is going to hinder you. I think the major sports have become their own entity that the whole student-athlete thing is a joke and may as well lax for the big sports teams.

It will be curious to see who ends up being the hire. I could see Bevell, but thought he's been mentioned with NFL jobs and Chryst hasn't done much at Pitt. Maybe its the resources, etc. It does have to be concerning to lose 2 coaches in 24 months to the mediocre schools of power conferences -- especially when you feel like you're an upper tier team of a supposed power conference.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,398

Post#117 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:25 pm

Barry won't make a big name hire. HE'S the big name in football at UW and that's the way it will stay. That's not to say we won't end up with a good coach but it won't be one that will clash with Barry in any way.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#118 » by humanrefutation » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:30 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:4-star RB just flipped to the Badgers from Texas.

Sent From My Rotary Phone

Goes to show you the importance of assistants in landing recruits, but I have to wonder if things might change if that coach follows Andersen.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#119 » by humanrefutation » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Apparently, Bo Pelini is in the mix at Wisconsin.

Might as well complete the circle. *vomit*
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#120 » by chuckleslove » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:37 pm

1250 secured Kafentzis' father as a guest tomorrow at 5:35pm, that will be interesting.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page

Return to Green Bay Packers