ImageImage

2015 Draft Lead Up Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

2015 Draft Lead Up Thread 

Post#1 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Jan 2, 2015 6:28 pm

Underclassmen will be announcing their intentions over the coming days/weeks. Figured we could get a draft lead up thread started.

I always have my homer pick(s) for the Packers. But this year I think the top Gopher in the draft would actually fill a need for us. I'd consider him as early as late in the 2nd round. We need a solid pass catching TE even though Rodgers has been serviceable for us lately. I'd love to see what Maxx could do with a real QB.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPTSH8QXExc[/youtube]

I would also be thrilled to get Gordon anyway possible, even though I know it won't happen. It would be incredible to see a Lacy/Gordon back field.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,368

Re: 2015 Draft Lead Up Thread 

Post#2 » by trwi7 » Fri Jan 2, 2015 7:07 pm

Could you imagine the jet sweep with Gordon in this offense? I'd seriously consider trading Lacy to get Gordon. That may turn out to be stupid but I think the things Gordon could do in this offense provides more upside than what Lacy can do.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,930

Post#3 » by BUCKnation » Fri Jan 2, 2015 7:09 pm

MLB, MLB, MLB.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#4 » by LUKE23 » Fri Jan 2, 2015 7:13 pm

I'd without question take Gordon if he fell to us but he won't. Be surprised if he's not gone by first half of first round.

As far as guys around our spot, I like Perryman, Ekpre-Olomu, M. Brown, Peat, Collins, Strong and Waynes. Think Perryman would be a great get at ILB for us.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,944

Post#5 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 2, 2015 7:28 pm

I like Sammie Coates. Seems like a borderline 1st based on production, but there might not be a better athlete in the draft. Doesn't seem like a TT kind of pick, but I've given up trying to figure out who he likes.

I'd also be 100% in favor of Williams. He could slide into round one.

Wouldn't surprise me if McKinney is the guy given our need for a MLB and where he's likely to come off the board.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#6 » by Newz » Fri Jan 2, 2015 8:23 pm

I have to wait for more video to come out and for the mock drafts to get a bit more defined before I really know who is going to be in our range. So far the guys that I like who I think might be available are:

Donte Fowler Jr (OLB/DE) - Seems like he's a big time boom or bust prospect. Could potentially be a nightmare off the edge and a long-term partner with Clay. Would have time to develop with guys like Peppers, Neal and Perry around.
Danny Shelton (DT/NT) - Seems like a monsterous NT/DT. Could really help against the run and seems like he could be reasonable at pressuring the passer as well. I will never be against drafting talented, big bodies early on.
Shilique Calhoun (OLB/DE) - Guy seems incredibly fast for a OLB. A little undersized and lacking in the power department... but with his speed he may be a great fit for the NFL.
Eddie Goldman (DT/NT) - Another big, talented guy who might be able to be a beast against the run and play all three downs.
Denzel Perryman (ILB) - This dude looks like he has great physical talent and can defend both the run and the pass from the ILB position.

I know ILB is our biggest need. I wouldn't reach though... there seems to be a couple of guys at the LB spot who might fit. Another name I've seen is Erik Kendricks. This draft seems a little weak in OL talent in the first round or I might consider a tackle if we had a chance to snag one. It also seems light on elite TE talents. But it seems very deep along the DL... and I always like adding guys on the defensive line. If you can land a quality player along the DL it can do so much to help your defense as a whole. Lots of pass rushers mocked around our area as well... always nice to be able to add more guys who have the ability to get to the QB.

I'd probably pass on Gordon if he fell to our spot or trade back if another team was willing to give up a decent package for him. I persoanlly do not see RB as that big of a need. I see Gordon as a very good NFL player... not sure that he is going to be the type of back that completely alters how a defense approaches the game though.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#7 » by WiscoKing13 » Fri Jan 2, 2015 10:54 pm

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ ... 583660f093

Don't know if it deserves it's own thread so i'll stick in here. Elliot wolf is now the number 2 behind TT.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
packfan414
Senior
And1: 171

Post#8 » by packfan414 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 3:24 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/Packers-promote-Wolf/0322620f-12f9-49dc-9e3c-6d583660f093

Don't know if it deserves it's own thread so i'll stick in here. Elliot wolf is now the number 2 behind TT.

didn't know he was so young. only 33 years old. i assume at this point whenever TT retires elliot wolf becomes GM
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,214

Post#9 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jan 3, 2015 3:47 am

He's definitely being groomed as the replacement.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#10 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Sat Jan 3, 2015 2:09 pm

Wow, Elliot is climbing the ranks fast. If he ends up being a legit GM we could be a contender for a looooooooong time. Still wonder if Murphy would make a run at Schneider if TT were to retire.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Post#11 » by RRyder823 » Sun Jan 4, 2015 7:56 pm

trwi7 wrote:Could you imagine the jet sweep with Gordon in this offense? I'd seriously consider trading Lacy to get Gordon. That may turn out to be stupid but I think the things Gordon could do in this offense provides more upside than what Lacy can do.

I hope u mean you'd trade Lacey for Josh Gordon not Melvin Gordon.

Hey we got an 1100+ yard running back his first two seasons in the league so lets trade him for our favorite Badger..... Every year with Badger players ugh....

Listen I like Gordon but he'll most likely be available when we pick anyways as RBs are devalued in the first round trading Lacey for him doesnt make sense unless your saying we trade Lacey to get a high 2nd to select him but in any case with Lacey, Starks and Harris in the backfield RB is the LAST position we should draft high.

Plus while I do like Gordon his upside isnt any greater then Laceys in this offence and IMO its probably significantly less when we've seen just how good Laceys become as a reciever and especially in blitz pickup but........ Badger Badger Badger.

I apologize if im being rude but every year I hear how we SHOULD DEFINITELY or we NEED to go after this Badger player or that Badger player and the fact is theres alot of great prospects from alot of schools
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 242

Post#12 » by zmanishere11 » Sun Jan 4, 2015 8:02 pm

The guy I like at MLB is Paul Dawson from TCU. Reminds me a lot of Chris Borland - hugely productive in all aspects, but a little short. If he were 6'2'' and ran a 4.55 - he's a 1st round. Instead, he's 5'10'' and will run maybe 4.65.

If we could walk away from this draft with him and Melvin Gordon - I wouldn't be able to hide my erection for weeks. In fact - I'd probably just wear sweat pants every day and own it.

Like a boss.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#13 » by RRyder823 » Sun Jan 4, 2015 8:14 pm

Top five "Needs" IMO

1:SSILB
2:WSILB
3:DE
4:TE
5:RT or OLB depending what shakes oit with Bulaga and Peppers.

Honorable mention: Backup QB (prolly around the 5th round) and CB considering we'll most likely be losing either Tramon or House.

Still don't understand how people can advocate for taking Gordon high with Lacey back there. Id be shocked if we took a RB this year higher then the 6th round. We got WAY bigger needs then RB. In fact RB is the position we need to draft the least
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jan 4, 2015 8:28 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Could you imagine the jet sweep with Gordon in this offense? I'd seriously consider trading Lacy to get Gordon. That may turn out to be stupid but I think the things Gordon could do in this offense provides more upside than what Lacy can do.

Hey we got an 1100+ yard running back his first two seasons in the league so lets trade him for our favorite Badger..... Every year with Badger players ugh....

Listen I like Gordon but he'll most likely be available when we pick anyways as RBs are devalued in the first round trading Lacey for him doesnt make sense unless your saying we trade Lacey to get a high 2nd to select him but in any case with Lacey, Starks and Harris in the backfield RB is the LAST position we should draft high.

Plus while I do like Gordon his upside isnt any greater then Laceys in this offence and IMO its probably significantly less when we've seen just how good Laceys become as a reciever and especially in blitz pickup but........ Badger Badger Badger.

I apologize if im being rude but every year I hear how we SHOULD DEFINITELY or we NEED to go after this Badger player or that Badger player and the fact is theres alot of great prospects from alot of schools

I know, right? Every damn year.

WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#15 » by WiscoKing13 » Sun Jan 4, 2015 8:31 pm

i'll be interested to see if scouts put any stock to all of the great WI RB who have come out and flopped. It's almost to the point of being a Ted Bedford qb(although we like our QB).
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#16 » by LUKE23 » Sun Jan 4, 2015 8:36 pm

WiscoKing13 wrote:i'll be interested to see if scouts put any stock to all of the great WI RB who have come out and flopped. It's almost to the point of being a Ted Bedford qb(although we like our QB).

Umm, none of them were the pro prospect Gordon was. None were close actually. So only if the scout was an idiot.

Also-I highly doubt Gordon will be there at 29-32 which is where we will likely be picking, regardless of RB being de-valued.

Lastly, to back RS' point, Badgers have been awesome in the pros recently. People don't just like Gordon because he's a Badger. The guy is a monster.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jan 4, 2015 8:40 pm

The better question to me is would you rather have Lacy or Gurley? A healthy Gurley is an even better prospect than MG3.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#18 » by RRyder823 » Sun Jan 4, 2015 8:55 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

I know, right? Every damn year.

Congrats on only posting the good ones
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jan 4, 2015 8:56 pm

We really liked the good ones, though.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#20 » by RRyder823 » Sun Jan 4, 2015 9:12 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:We really liked the good ones, though.

I do/did too. But people also liked Ball over both Lacey n Bell just two years ago and they also liked Gabe (sorry im going to butcher his last name so ill just say the Badger tackle that completly flopped for the Bears)

I wanted Watt. Wilson was never getting drafted here. And I wouldve LOVED Borland in the 3rd last year. Fredrick I wouldve also been very happy with

My point is the only reason people are talking up Gordon to GB is simply because hes a Badger. Theres pretty much zero reason to draft a RB high unless Lacey blows out his knee in these playoffs

Return to Green Bay Packers