ImageImage

One of the Best McCarthy Articles I've ever Read

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,222

One of the Best McCarthy Articles I've ever Read 

Post#1 » by HKPackFan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:42 am

This is a great article, and it brings up a fantastic point, McCarthy passed Lombardi on wins, and it was the most quiet thing ever. No one made a big deal out of it, and especially not MM. Great to see all the charity work he does, his blue collar and humble attitude, and it's fantastic to see how much he loves being in Green Bay, not just the football team but the community.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/st ... h-hot-read
#FreeChuckDiesel
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Re: One of the Best McCarthy Articles I've ever Read 

Post#2 » by Newz » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:41 pm

McCarthy is awesome.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#3 » by WiscoKing13 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:27 pm

I finish reading the story and all I can think is the guy has been here 9 years and we're just **** spoiled.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
UWM_Brew_Buck
Analyst
And1: 883

Post#4 » by UWM_Brew_Buck » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:11 am

I have been up and down on McCarthy over the years but I have come to realize that he is a damn good coach. It is easy to forget because Rodgers is an amazing QB but McCarthy played an integral role in developing him. My biggest gripe about McCarthy early on was his bad challenges but a lot of coaches had that problem and the new scoring and TO automatic replay rule makes it a non issue. Sometimes it sucks when we stick to the run when it is not working but that hasn't been an issue for a while and who am I to question his tactics, I think he is one of the best offensive minds in football.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,492

Post#5 » by Profound23 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:21 pm

I have always supported McCarthy. When we hired him I was cautiously optimistic. Everyone was complaining about hiring an offensive coordinator of a bad team. I had heard the wonders he did wonders with Gannon at the end of his career and Brees at the peak of his so I said, "wait and see."

The only thing I don't like about him is his use of the challenges are usually terrible and his five wide sets on 2nd or 3rd and goal where I want to at least have the other team thinking about Lacy. I know other coaches do this too, see Pete Carroll but I just dislike it. Besides those two things I think he is a great coach. Just look at what he did with the end of Favre's career and the beginning of Rodgers'.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,512

Post#6 » by th87 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Brees?
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#7 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:00 am

Profound23 wrote:I have always supported McCarthy. When we hired him I was cautiously optimistic. Everyone was complaining about hiring an offensive coordinator of a bad team. I had heard the wonders he did wonders with Gannon at the end of his career and Brees at the peak of his so I said, "wait and see."

The only thing I don't like about him is his use of the challenges are usually terrible and his five wide sets on 2nd or 3rd and goal where I want to at least have the other team thinking about Lacy. I know other coaches do this too, see Pete Carroll but I just dislike it. Besides those two things I think he is a great coach. Just look at what he did with the end of Favre's career and the beginning of Rodgers'.

He never coached Brees. Brees got to New Orleans in 2006, same year MM was hired in GB.

Maybe you mean this guy who was coached by MM in GB when McCarthy was QB coach under Ray Rhodes in 1999 and then in NOLA right after.

Or this guy:

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,222

Post#8 » by HKPackFan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:43 am

McCarthy brother passed away. Sorry to hear about it. MM has always been a big family typr guy. RIP Joe Mccarthy.
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 945

Post#9 » by Lippo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:14 pm

Yeah Yeah, hes Ok, I still think he should have hung 40 on Seattle givin the fact they had 5 TO's. Was it etiquette or fear that he did pulverize them

Return to Green Bay Packers