Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Re: NFC Championship Post-Game 

Post#521 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:15 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
OK. So let Clay go. Let's see how much of Rodgers' prime we waste trying to fill the saved $ with anyone that can even play like Matthews for 5 minutes.

Well, we've wasted a number of Rodgers years with TT keeping Hawk and Brad Jones around.

TT did a great job rebuilding the O line with Linsley and Bahktiari hence we didn't get punched in the mouth last Sunday on offense like we had in years past. But now he's got to do the same with the front 7 on D. And whether that involves dumping Capers and starting fresh, it may be.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#522 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:16 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/deanblandino/status/558295742716989440[/tweet]
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#523 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:18 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
OK. So let Clay go. Let's see how much of Rodgers' prime we waste trying to fill the saved $ with anyone that can even play like Matthews for 5 minutes.

Well, we've wasted a number of Rodgers years with TT keeping Hawk and Brad Jones around.

TT did a great job rebuilding the O line with Linsley and Bahktiari hence we didn't get punched in the mouth last Sunday on offense like we had in years past. But now he's got to do the same with the front 7 on D. And whether that involves dumping Capers and starting fresh, it may be.

Neither of those players are remotely as good as Matthews. If anything, it's evidence that when we get an impact player in the front seven it's worth doing what's possible to keep him.
Reddeye
Bench Warmer
And1: 270

Post#524 » by Reddeye » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:24 pm

Also on kickoffs, the kicking team can't have more than five players bunched together pursuing an onside kick. That will cost a team 5 yards.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/f ... ules_N.htm
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#525 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:24 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Clay is "overpaid" but he's not even close to the realm of some of the other guys that have gotten massive contracts thrown at them right now in the NFL.

I agree on the Jones and Hawk thing, but they win some and lose some valuing continuity. Those guys could be cut and have the 3 million saved "replaced" tomorrow by any free agent.

If you cut Clay or trade him away for picks, to put this in NBA terms, you may have just done a cap-clearing trade or cut of Dwyane Wade alongside Lebron (let's say he stayed in Miami). Cool, you've now cut a $12 million dollar player making a $17 million dollar salary. Now go find somebody to bring alongside him. By the way, the best free agent on the market is Dwyane Wade, and he's asking for $20 million/year on the open market now.

*Hard to compare the guaranteed NBA deals of the NBA here, but let's just say a 1-time amnesty/cut of Wade was allowed.

And no, I don't think the savings of Clay and being able to keep a few other FAs we have leaving would equal that. Not even close. Like I said before: Cobb, Bulaga, etc. will all be "overpaid" the moment the ink dries on their contract.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,291

Post#526 » by KidA24 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:39 pm

Reddeye wrote:
Also on kickoffs, the kicking team can't have more than five players bunched together pursuing an onside kick. That will cost a team 5 yards.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/f ... ules_N.htm

Here is the actual rule from http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2013%20-%20Rule%20Book.pdf

At least four players of the kicking team must be on each side of the kicker. At least three players must be lined up outside each inbounds line, one of whom must be outside the yard-line number.

Inbounds line means "hash marks" and was defined earlier in the text.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Reddeye
Bench Warmer
And1: 270

Post#527 » by Reddeye » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:58 pm

So the line I quoted from the USA today is not in the rulebook?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#528 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:01 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Neither of those players are remotely as good as Matthews. If anything, it's evidence that when we get an impact player in the front seven it's worth doing what's possible to keep him.

I'm not suggesting either of those guys are in his league. They suck. My response was more to the implication of wasting Rodgers prime by forcing TT to search for more linebackers. We've already wasted Rodgers prime with TT NOT searching for more LB's and keeping Hawk and Jones around.

But the issue with Clay is problematic if he's going to continually have injury problems. We saw Sunday one of the final holes TT needs to plug on this team is the LB position. He's got to spend resources on it in the off-season either in draft picks or a high qualify FA. Who's available there?
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#529 » by JayMKE » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:15 pm

We were good enough to win, we played well enough to win, we belonged, Seattle looked totally beatable, we just didn't. Just an improbable string of events to led to Seattle getting to win, there was more time than I can remember off the top of my head that if they went the other way in this game we're going to Superbowl right now. It sucks and in some ways that hurts more but for me personally feels than being totally spanked and embarrassed like we have been in the past against the Niners or Giants.
FREE GIANNIS
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#530 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:30 pm

I actually think our defense is a couple pieces away from being great. If you can get an impact ILB and another great DL to go with Daniels, I think you've got something special there. Obviously, they're going to have to figure out what to do about Tramon/House, but if they can resolve that issue, they're close to being good enough to be a champion on that side of the ball.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,281

Post#531 » by rilamann » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:21 pm

I finally re-watched the game last night and I'll probably watch it again this weekend.

The thing that struck me watching the game the 2nd time was how off Rodgers was.I was aware live that he wasn't having a great game and that the defense gave the offense the opportunity to blow the game open but it was so much more glaring on the re-watch that if Rodgers had been anything close to resembling regular season ''Godgers'' or 2nd half Dallas ''Godgers'' that game turns into Atlanta part II in the 2nd quarter.When I say Atlanta part II I'm talking about the 48-21 playoff win in 2010 to clarify.

If Rodgers had even kind of been ''Godgers'' we still win the game comfortably.

When you consider how well the defense had been playing and the turnovers and our starting field position I honestly think you could make a case that we would have still held that 16-0 halftime lead had we hypothetically started Matt Flynn.

How much of Rodgers' play is on him or McCarthy's conservative playing not to lose mentality Sunday is up for debate but Rodgers was very average.He made a lot of really bad throws and both INTs came with the Packers in FG range.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,281

Post#532 » by rilamann » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:31 pm

Oh and Clay Matthews is the fakest ''tough guy'' in the NFL.

Like Jim Harbaugh once said about Clay,he has some repairing to do to his image.

Re-watching the game Clay sure didn't appear to be hurting on the sidelines during the Seahawks final two drives of regulation.Clay is in Jay Cutler territory.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#533 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:38 pm

rilamann wrote:Oh and Clay Matthews is the fakest ''tough guy'' in the NFL.

Like Jim Harbaugh once said about Clay,he has some repairing to do to his image.

Re-watching the game Clay sure didn't appear to be hurting on the sidelines during the Seahawks final two drives of regulation.Clay is in Jay Cutler territory.

While he is prone to small/naggy injuries, "man on couch calls guy in most brutal profession not tough." Hell, Cutler gets absolutely destroyed back there.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Re: Re: NFC Championship Post-Game 

Post#534 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:34 pm

rilamann wrote:I finally re-watched the game last night and I'll probably watch it again this weekend.

The thing that struck me watching the game the 2nd time was how off Rodgers was.I was aware live that he wasn't having a great game and that the defense gave the offense the opportunity to blow the game open but it was so much more glaring on the re-watch that if Rodgers had been anything close to resembling regular season ''Godgers'' or 2nd half Dallas ''Godgers'' that game turns into Atlanta part II in the 2nd quarter.When I say Atlanta part II I'm talking about the 48-21 playoff win in 2010 to clarify.

When you consider how well the defense had been playing and the turnovers and our starting field position I honestly think you could make a case that we would have still held that 16-0 halftime lead had we hypothetically started Matt Flynn.

How much of Rodgers' play is on him or McCarthy's conservative playing not to lose mentality Sunday is up for debate but Rodgers was very average.He made a lot of really bad throws and both INTs came with the Packers in FG range.
jeez I can't belive you have the stomach to watch that game again.

You're right that Rodgers wasn't good. Surprised more hasn't been made off it by the media. I felt watching it live it was one of the worst games I've seen him play.

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM Forums mobile app
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#535 » by Flames24Rulz » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:33 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
rilamann wrote:I finally re-watched the game last night and I'll probably watch it again this weekend.

You're right that Rodgers wasn't good. Surprised more hasn't been made off it by the media. I felt watching it live it was one of the worst games I've seen him play.

Combination between being visibly hurt and playing the toughest defense in the league is probably why there hasn't been much criticism for him.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,526

Post#536 » by th87 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:48 am

Flames24Rulz wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Combination between being visibly hurt and playing the toughest defense in the league is probably why there hasn't been much criticism for him.

That seems like a 20,000 ft. view of his situation. But there were throws he was missing, where there was no pressure, open receivers, and no noticeable physical limitations.
pacmaniac
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#537 » by pacmaniac » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:14 pm

I rewatched a few bits of the game. The thing that stuck out to me was after Burnett's INT, they showed the Packers sideline, and you could see all the defensive players laughing, celebrating, and hugging each other. They all thought the game was over, and they mentally checked out of the game. They obviously didn't think they needed to play defense anymore, and you could see that in the final few minutes of the game.

As for Rodgers, yeah he didn't have a good game. I don't think he's the greatest QB in the league as a lot of people think. This isn't the first time he hasn't played well in a big game. He had a similar poor game in 2010 against the Bears in the NFC-C (we're lucky Jay Cutler sucks), and also against the Giants in 2011 and SF in 2012.

Return to Green Bay Packers