ImageImage

2015 Offseason Thread - Datone Suspended For First game

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,222

Re: 2015 Offseason Thread - Guion and Raji signed 

Post#921 » by HKPackFan » Wed May 20, 2015 6:56 am

I missed this. Looks like Masthay's crappy season didn't go unnoticed afterall.

He's got some competition. Meet Alabama's Cody Mandell

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports ... /22375623/

Tim Masthay could be facing some competition for the Green Bay Packers' punting job this offseason.

The Packers signed former Alabama punter Cody Mandell on Monday. The 6-foot-2, 217-pound punter appeared in 52 games for the Crimson Tide after joining the team as a walk-on in 2010.

As a senior, he was named first-team All-Southeastern Conference by The Associated Press and was a semifinalist for the Ray Guy Award and Burlsworth Trophy. For his career, Mandell averaged 42.6 yards per punt and landed 58 punts inside the 20-yard line.

Mandell, who'll wear No. 9, spent part of the 2014 offseason as a member of the Dallas Cowboys. The 22-year-old punted three times in Dallas' preseason opener against San Diego for a 43.7-yard average and 42.0 net. All three were placed inside the 20-yard line.

Masthay hasn't faced any competition since winning the punting job in 2010, but struggled during the second half of the season. He finished 30th in net punting average (37.0 yards) and 32nd in punts inside the 20 (14), both career lows. His 44.1 gross average tied for 27th in the league.

The Packers used a similar tactic with struggling kicker Mason Crosby when they brought in Giorgio Tavecchio following a woeful 2012 season. Crosby bounced back with a career year and has since made 60-of-70 field goals in the regular season (85.7 percent).

Masthay, who'll turn 28 in March, has two more seasons remaining on the extension he signed in 2012. He's scheduled to make $1.1 million in 2015.

Timmy's going to have to prove himself. And Cody's going to have to give the Packers enough confidence that he can punt not just in the summer but in the swirling icy winds come Dec/Jan.

Interesting if Cody and Adrian Hubbard make the roster they'll have 4 Crimson Tide players with Haha and Lacy.
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#922 » by HKPackFan » Wed May 27, 2015 5:39 am

I'm not sure if any of you have been following this story, but the kid finally took off his Aaron Rodgers jersey!!! 4 years later!!

It's kinda funny to see Aaron Rodgers sneak up on him at Lambeau Field if you haven't seen the video...(couldn't find the link to that..)

http://www.channel3000.com/news/holmen-kid-retires-packers-jersey-after-setting-new-record-of-1612-days/33204128

Holmen kid retires Packers jersey after setting new record of 1,612 days
13-year-old started wearing Rodgers jersey in 2011

HOLMEN, Wis. -

After more than four years of wearing his Aaron Rodgers football jersey every day, a 13-year-old Holmen boy has decided to retire it.

David Pehl wore his Rodgers jersey for 1,612 consecutive days. On Sunday he decided to take it off one last time. Pehl started wearing the jersey a month before the Packers won Super Bowl LXV in 2011.

Pehl’s father said the sight of his son taking off the jersey for thelast time is a bittersweet moment.

“I am kind of relieved. I am not going to have to hand wash it every other day so that will be nice. I guess now our clothing budget will increase now that we have to get some shirts for him,” said Dave Pehl, David’s dad.

After some time wearing the jersey Aaron Rodgers even took notice and Pehl got to go to Lambeau Field to meet his idol.

When asked what he plans to wear Monday, Pehl doesn’t plan to stray too far.

“A Packers shirt,” said Pehl.
#FreeChuckDiesel
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#923 » by crkone » Thu Jul 2, 2015 7:53 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/616695891647270913[/tweet]

Datone Jones has suspended for the first game of the regular season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#924 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jul 2, 2015 8:21 pm

crkone wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/616695891647270913[/tweet]

Datone Jones has suspended for the first game of the regular season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Well, his make-or-break year is off too a **** start.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Re: 2015 Offseason Thread - Datone Suspended For First game 

Post#925 » by Newz » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:48 pm

Wonder what he violated the substance abuse policy with... PED type stuff or THE POT! (Dun, dun, dun)
HKPackFan
RealGM

Re: Re: 2015 Offseason Thread - Datone Suspended For First game 

Post#926 » by HKPackFan » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:21 pm

Newz wrote:Wonder what he violated the substance abuse policy with... PED type stuff or THE POT! (Dun, dun, dun)

I think its pot. The reason i say that is on yahoo sports when they announced 4 suspensions at the same time they specified Gates as a PED suspension but the rest as substance abuse.

Regardless, datone just took another step closer to the bust column.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#927 » by WiscoKing13 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 3:30 pm

Quarless just got arrested for firing a gun. 2 arrest in the off season is a lot for the pack
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#928 » by HKPackFan » Mon Jul 6, 2015 12:41 pm

An article today said we could be out 3 starters on suspensions for the opener.

Jones confirmed
Maybe guion
Probably quarless

Losing 3 starters sounds terrible but i think rodgers is hopefully ready to supplant quarless. Although there is nothing behind him.

Bj may mitigate missing guion.

And hopefully boyd or a combination of big bodies makes up for jones. Not like jones was playing irreplaceable anyway.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#929 » by HKPackFan » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:40 am

Jones got busted for MJ HOURS after the NFC Championship game.

Man, he shoulda just stayed around in Seattle to smoke his weed. (I'll take the next plane home coach...Just going to check out the ahm...Seattle Music scene...and visit my friend Mary...)

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2015/07/06/packers-jones-cited-marijuana-nfc-title-game/29795443/

About seven hours after the Green Bay Packers' shocking loss in the NFC championship game, defensive end Datone Jones was ticketed for marijuana possession, according to Green Bay police.

Jones was cited at 12:29 a.m. Jan. 19, a couple of hours after the Packers' plane returned from Seattle. Last week, he was suspended for the team's 2015 opener in Chicago because of a violation of the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

Green Bay Police Lt. Chad Ramos said a woman called police to report a suspicious situation in the parking lot of an apartment complex off Capitol Drive on the city's west side. The woman said loud music was coming from a black Jeep occupied by a man and a woman, and said she saw money and a sandwich bag change hands.

Two officers approached the Jeep and noticed "the clear, distinct odor of marijuana," said Ramos, reading from a report. Ramos said Jones "became emotionally upset, and told officers he was the first-round draft pick of the Green Bay Packers" in 2013.

Jones was issued a citation for possession of THC. He was convicted Feb. 10 and paid an $880 fine. Jones has no prior convictions or citations in Wisconsin, according to online records.

The 32-year-old Green Bay woman who was with Jones was ticketed on three ordinance violations: resisting or obstructing an officer, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of THC. Court records show she was found guilty of all three charges and fined $1,443. The fine remained unpaid as of Monday.

Jones can participate in the Packers' preseason, but he's ineligible for the team's Sept. 13 opener against the Chicago Bears. He can return to the active roster Sept. 14. After being drafted with the 26th overall pick in 2013, Jones has fallen short of expectations for a first-round pick. Entering a prove-it third year, a suspension in the opener is not an ideal way to start the 2015 season.

For the Packers, Jones' suspension continued a tumultuous offseason.

Two days after Jones' punishment was announced, Packers tight end Andrew Quarless was arrested in Miami Beach, Fla. Quarless was charged with a first-degree misdemeanor for discharging a firearm in public during an argument early Saturday morning.

In February, defensive tackle Letroy Guion was arrested in his hometown of Starke, Fla., and charged with two felony counts for possession of a semi-automatic handgun and two bags of marijuana containing a total of 357 grams. Guion likely also faces a suspension, but there has been no announcement from the league office.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man it sure seems like he was desperate...Like LITERALLY he got off the plane and went to get some MJ. It's almost like he's been dying for it and hasn't been able to smoke it in 6 months and FINALLY can smoke weed without worrying about drug tests for a while.

I wonder if Denver and Seattle are preferred Free Agent destinations since players can have an easier time to smoke weed in the offseason. :lol:

Do NFL players get tested in the offseason? Or are they free from testing until Minicamps roll around? Or TC?
#FreeChuckDiesel
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#930 » by Newz » Tue Jul 7, 2015 1:52 pm

HKPackFan wrote:The 32-year-old Green Bay woman who was with Jones was ticketed on three ordinance violations: resisting or obstructing an officer, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of THC. Court records show she was found guilty of all three charges and fined $1,443. The fine remained unpaid as of Monday.

Arena money, IMO! :D
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#931 » by humanrefutation » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:25 pm

Man, how obvious were you being when a woman can see "money and a sandwich bag change hands" from far away?
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#932 » by humanrefutation » Wed Jul 8, 2015 9:49 pm

Favre went on Green and Gold Today with Wilde and Johnson. You can listen here:

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=71&c=583&f=4574163

Pretty entertaining interview.
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#933 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 12:02 am

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/07/08/running-back-breakdown-hit-in-the-backfield/

James Starks had a pretty awful year, if they keep kuhn another year, I could see two UFA making the team this year at RB.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#934 » by HKPackFan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:39 am

4 Offseason Moves the Packers should have made:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2520819-4-moves-green-bay-packers-should-have-made-this-offseason

The Green Bay Packers made a dizzying number of moves this offseason, despite not being active participants in free agency.

The Packers re-signed key pieces in Randall Cobb and Bryan Bulaga. Head coach Mike McCarthy gave up play-calling and promoted former offensive coordinator Tom Clements to associate head coach (offense).

McCarthy fired special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum and promoted his assistant Ron Zook. Edgar Bennett, former wide receivers coach, was promoted to offensive coordinator, and Alex Van Pelt became the quarterbacks/wide receivers coach.

The Packers headed into the draft with nine selections and left with eight players, trading a sixth-round pick for quarterback Brett Hundley. They signed nearly 20 undrafted free agents, many of whom remain on the offseason roster and will head into training camp to compete for a spot on the team.

There's not much else the Packers could have tackled this offseason, but the following are four ideas.

Two would be slight corrections of past moves, while the other two are moves the team could still make this summer. After all, there's no use in dwelling too much on what has already come to pass.

#1 Address Tight End Earlier or More Aggressively

Even before Packers tight end Andrew Quarless got arrested in Florida over Fourth of July weekend for firing a gun in public during an argument with two women, as first reported by the Miami New Times' Tim Elfrink, the Packers weren't in great shape at tight end.

Though the position was a need heading into the offseason, the Packers didn't look at the available free agents—including Julius Thomas, Charles Clay, Lance Kendricks, Jordan Cameron, Owen Daniels, Scott Chandler and James Casey at price points ranging from $9.2 million a year to $1.25 million, while Jermaine Gresham is still unsigned.

In the draft, the Packers could have looked at skilled potential future starters in Maxx Williams, Clive Walford or Jeff Heuerman but instead selected Kennard Backman, who was projected to go undrafted by NFL.com's Lance Zierlein, in Round 6.

No one has a crystal ball, and the Packers couldn't have known Quarless was going to get into legal troubles during the offseason.

But he or Richard Rodgers could have gotten injured during camp, and it would have left the Packers in the same bind they're in now.

ESPN.com's Rob Demovsky reported that, per two sources, the Packers don't plan to release Quarless. They can still use him and Rodgers in two-TE sets or perhaps give Rodgers more starts this season (he had five in 2014). Quarless may also face jail time or punishment from the league that would cause him to miss time.

But having more options at the position would have increased its strength.

Behind Quarless and Rodgers, the group consists of rookie Backman, former practice squad player Justin Perillo and undrafted rookies Mitchell Henry and Harold Spears.

#2 Extend Mike Daniels

There's still time for the Packers to begin talks about a contract extension for defensive leader Mike Daniels this summer. He has definitely earned it.

Daniels is entering the final year of his contract. Over the last three seasons, the former fourth-round pick has become a core member of the team, starting all 16 games in 2014 with 29 total tackles and 5.5 sacks.

Daniels finished the 2014 season ranked as the eighth-best 3-4 defensive end in the league and has become a leader in the locker room.

"I came here to play football. I came here to eventually start. I've been waiting for this. I'm certain about myself and the guys lining up with us, that we can get the job done," Daniels said at the end of the 2014 season, per Packers.com's Vic Ketchman.

It's unclear what general manager Ted Thompson's strategy would be in regards to Daniels. He has signed some players, such as Jordy Nelson and Morgan Burnett, in the offseason to lock them down. He has allowed others to finish the season to assess their level of performance.

If the Packers go the latter route, however, they could find that other teams are willing to pay more for Daniels, who has become an elite interior rusher, in free agency than they'd like to match.

The Packers currently have about $15.7 million in cap space remaining.

#3 Extend Casey Hayward

Casey Hayward could have his first season as a full-time starter in 2015, depending on the status of his health during training camp. He's currently dealing with a foot injury that caused him to miss OTAs and minicamp, which calls up memories of his missed camp in 2013 with a hamstring injury.

The hope this time, however, is that Hayward will be ready to go to start training camp.

"So whenever I'm healthy and on the field, I'm going to be full go and I'm going to be ready to compete and not just be a starting corner, be the No. 1 corner," Hayward said in May, per Weston Hodkiewicz of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

It may not be the best environment in which to consider Hayward's contract extension, but the Packers will have to start thinking about it soon.

The team saw that the Jacksonville Jaguars were willing to pay Davon House $6.25 million per year in free agency. If Hayward spends even half his season starting on the outside, he'll command similar attention next spring.

Before committing the cash to Hayward, however, the Packers will want to monitor both his health and the progress of their rookie cornerbacks.

#4 Let Brett Hundley Fall to Them in the Draft

Green Bay went after Hundley aggressively in the draft, trading up 19 spots in the fifth round to ensure they would get him.

"We like the prospect. We felt we got good value in the trade," Packers director of pro personnel Eliot Wolf said after the selection, per Packers.com. "Big, athletic guy. Strong arm. A lot of upside. We expected him to get drafted a lot higher. Fortunately, he was there."

At the time, the move seemed shrewd. The Packers seemed likely to carry two quarterbacks behind Aaron Rodgers again this season, and Hundley is a prospect whom head coach Mike McCarthy could develop in his offseason quarterback school.

But trading up for Hundley handcuffed the Packers in some ways, too. Because of the investment, he is virtually a lock to make the 53-man roster. However, he's currently last on the depth chart.

According to Demovksy, quarterback Matt Blanchard is "so far ahead" of Hundley currently, making the rookie the fourth quarterback on the depth chart.

When the team practiced without most veterans during the minicamp, Scott Tolzien took the first-team reps and Blanchard went second, per Demovksy.

In a vacuum, perhaps Blanchard best rounds out the depth chart at the position. But the Packers couldn't risk Hundley not clearing waivers en route to the practice squad, so their hands are somewhat tied.

Had they known how well Blanchard was going to play in the offseason, they could have perhaps waited another couple of years to draft a young quarterback who could be truly groomed to eventually replace Rodgers.

For now, however, they'll hope Hundley improves with more practice.

The first point I do agree with and now it obviously looks worse with Quarless. Yet at the same time, I realize no team is going to be great at EVERY POSITION. Some positions will have weaker points to shore up other areas. I think it is a position that we can afford to be OK to below average. We have a top 5 WR core, the MVP QB of the league, a top 8 RB, and a top 5 OL. A slight weakness in TE I think our offense can overcome it. Also giving me hope is Rodgers looks promising. Again, he's only 1 player and the depth is looking bleak, but I'm OK with passing a high round TE for more defense. I don't mind if we put more emphasis on D during the draft and sacrificed TE, but it's a valid point.

2nd point: Sign Mike Daniels now. I feel he may be becoming like what we've been missing since Cullen Jenkins left (yet he's not there yet). I also don't want to repeat what happened as soon as Cullen left we had a void all these years. The Pack strikes out on DL at times in the draft, so even when we draft them high rounds we may still come up empty. Don't want to pay Daniels crazy money, but also worried about leaving a void. I'm also worried about paying him top dollar even though he's only GOOD to very good but not EXCELLENT. I'm going to kinda have to defer to TT's judgement on this one. This is a tough call, but I'd lean toward signing him early because not sure our D could afford to lose him.

3rd point: Sign Casey Hayward now. This one is even more iffy for me. Daniels at least has a very good track record so if we pay him blue chip money and he plays a bit below that, I can swallow it. I don't think I can say the same about Casey. Hayward looks awesome and the coaches rave about him too, but EVERYONE always qualifies it with, "IF HE STAYS HEALTHY" at the end of all their praise.

I seriously don't want to pay 8 figures per year to a guy who's nursing a hammy or some **** half the season on the sideline. The potential is all there, but I worry about his health. I know it could bite them in the ass, but I wouldn't blame the Pack for letting him get overpaid by another team like House or Tramon. I seriously don't want to lose ANOTHER CB, but I need to see more from Hayward before shelling out big money to him. We also have 2 high round picks and Goodson, so there has been significant investment at the position. Based on how the 2nd year and rookies do, would make the decision on Hayward much easier. I totally disagree with signing Hayward now unless we get him on the cheap, which is NOT going to happen. He's already talking about wanting to be a #1 corner and then he would want #1 $$$$. Let's see how he performs and how our #1 and #2 picks perform.

4th point: Should not have traded up for Hundley.

First the article states it was bad to trade up for him, then later they say if they knew Blanchard would play so well, we could have avoided drafted Hundley all together and waited a couple years to draft a QB. Well WTF. Which is it??

Their initial point was we wasted assets moving up for him and now we are wasting a roster spot on him. Hundley was drafted 147th 5th round, and they are guessing he could have fallen to 166th at the end of the 5th. If that's the case, wouldn't the Packers still be in the exact same position of wasting a roster spot??? Their point about trading up for him is a MOOT point. They still wouldn't dump a renowned talented QB 5th round pick because a UDFA is out performing him in Minicamp.

I completely disagree with this point. You don't draft a backup QB a few years down the line, "when you need one" or getting "Close to needing one." Wolf and Holmgren flipped talented QB's all the time. They were valued assets, molded them right and got value for them. There is nothing wrong with that strategy. I think it's worth the effort to see if MM can mold Hundley and see if TT can flip him OR have a talented backup who COULD be a long term solution at QB.

Let's not forget QB is the most valuable position in the NFL, so wasting a roster spot on a guy who's not ready to contribute is a different concept when it's a QB. Long term QBs can be franchise players, so I think the short term roster spot sacrifice for a year or two is definitely a worthy play.

You are talking about the benefit of holding onto an asset that could be a potential 2nd to 4th round trade-able pick, or possible franchise QB in a couple years, vs lamenting the fact you can't cut him even though the 51st or 53rd player on your team is better than him. Is Matt Blanchard pushing Rodgers for a job? Is he even pushing Scott Tolzein? We thankfully aren't one of those teams that needs to decide what are we going to do about Matt Blanchard so I think it's too early to complain about Hundley holding a roster spot.

End of Aug 2016 this is a much better discussion if Hundley is still way behind at 4th string, but for now this is a non-issue, he's worthy of taking up a spot on the roster regardless where he is on the depth chart.
#FreeChuckDiesel
crkone
RealGM

Post#935 » by crkone » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:27 pm

I think how they are handling the TE is fine for now. They really need a 3rd WR to step up consistently and not only when matched up against awful CBs. Daniels may be wanting too much right now, and rightfully so. We'll have to wait and see on that. Hayward can wait until after the season. And they can always stash Hundley with some minor injury on the IR.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
HKPackFan
RealGM

Re: Re: 2015 Offseason Thread - Datone Suspended For First game 

Post#936 » by HKPackFan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:55 pm

crkone wrote:I think how they are handling the TE is fine for now. They really need a 3rd WR to step up consistently and not only when matched up against awful CBs. Daniels may be wanting too much right now, and rightfully so. We'll have to wait and see on that. Hayward can wait until after the season. And they can always stash Hundley with some minor injury on the IR.

I'm sold on davante having a break out year or at least being a very good #3 like Jones was building his way up.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#937 » by HKPackFan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:07 am

Bush busted for PED's out 4 games.

I'm guessing the Packers knew something which is why they didn't bother to sign him up. It makes a lot of sense now. At the time I thought they were going to sign him to another 1-2 year deal before the draft. He had a minor incident at a restaurant but seemed like it was no big deal so I didn't think that would turn away the Packers. I'm guessing his age, the Packers youth movement/special teams focused draft, and his upcoming suspension were all at play.

Good thing we don't have a FOURTH role player who wouldn't be able to opening day.

Bush is kinda screwed, what team is going to want a guy who is no better than a #7 string DB, 30yrs old, special teams ace who can't play for 4 games? I hope he finds work, MM keeps saying the door might be open, who knows if they pick him up a couple weeks into the season...I still think he's a valuable player to special teams somewhere.

Article also makes an interesting point on Greg Hardy's suspension and Bush's.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/7/13/8950167/jarrett-bush-just-got-jobbed-by-the-nfl
#FreeChuckDiesel
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#938 » by WiscoKing13 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:46 pm

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/7/19/9000571/reggie-wayne-packers-express-interest-nfl-free-agency

The site says we're interested in Wayne, makes little sense with our depth. If we were to go after a vet rather go after James Jones just because of familiarity.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
legit_savage
Banned User
And1: 83

Post#939 » by legit_savage » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:56 pm

Wes Welker?
crkone
RealGM

Post#940 » by crkone » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:17 am

This has to be bogus. Smells of Wayne trying to create interest in him.

Return to Green Bay Packers