ImageImage

2015 Offseason Thread - Datone Suspended For First game

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,611

Re: 2015 Offseason Thread - Guion and Raji signed 

Post#881 » by emunney » Thu Apr 2, 2015 3:01 am

Flames24Rulz wrote:ILB is going to be addressed in the draft, for sure. If we don't draft an ILB in the first two rounds, I would be absolutely floored. And probably pretty pissed off too seeing how weak we are at that position.

I know that we could move Matthews there to shore up one of the positions, but I think a large part of how Peppers was productive last season was that his snap count was limited. For me, I'm thinking ILB is a bigger need than OLB.

TBH, if we get two guys in the middle rounds, I'd feel ok about it. I like Joe Thomas, he and Bradford are maybes. Get a guy in the 3rd and 5th (say Jordan Hicks and Ben Heeney) and I wouldn't be worried at all. Plus you have Matthews as a fall-back.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#882 » by eagle13 » Thu Apr 2, 2015 1:54 pm

several possibilities for ILB in mid rounds like Taiwan Jones and late rounds like Mike Hull and Jake Ryan
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#883 » by glenn » Thu Apr 2, 2015 3:46 pm

:reporter:
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#884 » by PANDEMONEUM » Thu Apr 2, 2015 11:58 pm

im NOT current with some players and their contracts, so i have questions
and questions about the normal # of guys kept at each position

qb. 2 rodgers, tolzein.....any chance we draft someone that bumps off tolzein ? or just add them as the #3 ?

rb. 3 lacy, starks.....raijon neal. will he make the team as the #3 ? whoever we draft will b included on the roster as the #4 rb ? we normally have 4 rbs ?

fb. 1 kuhn. wer going to re-sign him ?

ol. 7
c. linsley, tretter
g. lang, sitton, barclay
t. bakhtiari, bulaga
is 7 the normal amount of OL guys ?
anyone listed at risk of losing their spot ?

wr. 5 jordy, cobb, adams, janis, abbrederis.....room for a 6th wr ?

te. 3 quarless, rodgers, #3 ?.....seems like we need a TE, and hope he can b productive right away

21 players for offense

ls. 1 brett goode
p. 1 tim masthay
k. 1 crosby

dl. 7 jones, boyd, daniels, guion, pennel, raji, peppers

lb. 7 clay, mulumba, perry, neal, barrington, #6 ?, #7 ?.......so basically get best available LB with our #1 or #2 picks ? and then another by the 5th round ?
is LB our biggest need ?

cb. 5 shields, hayward, goodson, bush, #5 ?.........definitely a need here, and someone better than goodson and bush. thats going to be a big role for a rookie.

s. 4 burnett, clinton, richardson, hyde

have 6 spots still open
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#885 » by eagle13 » Sun Apr 5, 2015 11:33 pm

something like this

OFFENSE – 23
2-QB- Rodgers / Tolzein
4-RB- Lacy / Starks / Kuhn /+1?
6-WR- Cobb / Nelson / Adams / Janis / Aberderis / +1?
3-TE- Rodgers / Quarless / +1?
8-OL- Sitton, Lang, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Linsley, Barclay, Tretter / +1?

DEFENSE – 27
7-DL- Daniels / JonesD / Raji / Guion / Boyd / Pennel / +1
6-OLB- Matthews / Peppers / Perry / Neal / Mulumba / Elliot
4-ILB- Barrington / +3
6-CB-Shields / Hayward / Bush / Goodson / +2
4-S- Burnett / Dix / Hyde / Richardson

SPECIAL TEAMS – 3
K- Crosby
P- Masthay
LS- Goode
PR- Aberderis / Hyde / Cobb
KR- Aberderis / Cobb

3rd qb / 5th rb / 9th ol on ps
BallinBucks420
Pro Prospect
And1: 108

Post#886 » by BallinBucks420 » Mon Apr 6, 2015 5:46 am

wiith some of the needs and ho their are solid players in the middle rounds at postions of need unless bud dupree falls to us or someone else who shouldnt have i think we should trade back from 30 and add a early 2nd and 4th... that would give us 11 picks... i think we need to come away with 2 corners and 2ilb and one olb.. can get a good wr somewhere as well..do you guys think we have to get a qb this year and by what round? i saw we talked with petty from baylor.. mabye if he falls to the 3rd but i think we have to many needs to fill and dont really need a qb quite yet
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,216

Post#887 » by HKPackFan » Wed Apr 8, 2015 9:37 am

Good questions.

qb. 2 rodgers, tolzein.....any chance we draft someone that bumps off tolzein ? or just add them as the #3 ?

I would expect a mid to late round QB pick, and he would not bump Tolzein, he'd either make the #3 or if not worthy get dumped onto the PS.
rb. 3 lacy, starks.....raijon neal. will he make the team as the #3 ? whoever we draft will b included on the roster as the #4 rb ? we normally have 4 rbs ?

4 spots INCLUDING fullback. I expect there to be some good competition on the depth chart. Starks is in his last year, I don't think he gets re-signed in 2016. He will Be 30 years old at the end of this season!!! That's the supposedly fallen off the cliff, age for a RB. I think he's a fine breather for Lacy, but the Packers have seen enough over the years and part ways. I think the Packers draft an RB at some point in April, and bring in a few camp undrafted guys and other camp bodies including Raijon Neal. Eddie also takes quite a beating, so I don't think he's going to last forever, I don't think he makes it to 30 years old. We are getting his prime years NOW. I think he's got 3-5 years left, so it's going to be a tough call when his contract comes up. Would be good to add some depth here.

fb. 1 kuhn. wer going to re-sign him ?

John Kuhn will be 33 years old when the season kicks off. He's older than dirt in RB years. He will have zero interest in FA, none of the other 31 teams would ever sign him. I'd say the odds of him being re-signed were 50/50, but when McCarthy gave up play calling the Kuhn dive play probably got RIPPED out of the playbook, thrown into a shredder, then the shavings were plane dropped over Fukushima. 8-) Or maybe that's what I dreamed happened, and I love Kuuuuuuuhn just as much as everyone else.

Now I think the odds of Kuhn being re-signed are around 20% only if they can't find a decent guy to block. Or maybe they sign him (with almost no signing bonus) hoping to give him and 1 on 1 competition with a new kid over the summer and see who wins out. There's got to be a young kid that can knock LB's over somewhere??

ol. 7
c. linsley, tretter
g. lang, sitton, barclay
t. bakhtiari, bulaga
is 7 the normal amount of OL guys ?
anyone listed at risk of losing their spot ?

I think 8 is normal, and could go as far as 9? But I think 8 sounds about right. That gives room for the Garth Gerhart and Lane Taylor's of the world. I think both those guys are in camp battles for those 7,8,9th roster spots or even PS spots (if they are eligible). I think Barclay is at risk to prove he's OK after his ACL. I think we draft 1-2 OL, we need depth. We are going to lose someone from our fab five in 2 years, we can't keep all 5, so it would be good to draft and begin grooming. Have no idea what Tretter is at this point, is he a guard, a center, a tackle? I would expect he takes over for one of the fab 5 in 2 years maybe one of the guards. Barclay/Tretter flexibility make it a bit confusing/interesting on what we need for depth. Maybe we just draft best available Olineman regardless of his position and we figure out where to plug them in later.

wr. 5 jordy, cobb, adams, janis, abbrederis.....room for a 6th wr ?

Yes and no. This is a big question. Do we draft a promising WR high? Or does a new 6th WR make a big splash forcing us to sacrifice another spot on the roster like #4RB/FB or #3 QB or #4 TE or somewhere else?

Or do we stash janis or abby or the new WR on the PS and possibly lose them like we have a few other previous WRs? Or maybe abbrederis fails his physical and then stash him on the return to IR or physically unable to perform list and deal with it later in the season.

Also is Janis and Abby even guaranteed a roster spot? Abbrederis has to prove he's overcome his ACL and is worthy of a spot. I think we will definitely add more WR talent this April and it's going to be a competitive summer for that 4th,5th spots and the possibly 6th spot and PS spots. Alex Gillett and Myles White are going to be fighting for that last spot as well.

te. 3 quarless, rodgers, #3 ?.....seems like we need a TE, and hope he can b productive right away

2nd weakest position next to ILB IMO. Quarless is in a contract year, he's lucky he has no competition, because this position is so weak. He's been in the league 5 years and still just...Meh...I think he reached his ceiling. He's a decent #3 string TE.

I'm sure they will address TE in the draft. They will add a few more TEs from UDFA and from wherever they can find them. Rodgers is the only decent player. If there's a young talented TE out there who wants a great opportunity, GB is the place to go!! There's very little competition for 1-2 roster spots. Don't forget Justin Perillo is on the roster as the #3 TE, I guess he makes it by default.

Hard to say the exact offensive guys
3 qbs
4 RBs
5 WRs
4 TEs
8 Oline

24 is kinda the rough guess, but not sure yet.

Special Teams: Goode, Crosby, Masthay, is probably a safe bet. Masthay may get some camp competition after a bit of a weak season, took a step backward in 2014. He's definitely still the favorite and has 2 years left on his contract. Crosby was a stud when it counted most. Goode is in a contract year but is only 30yrs old so probably just has to keep doing what he's doing and keep collecting paychecks for years.

Defense will look at later.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,057

Post#888 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Apr 9, 2015 2:24 pm

I don't see it posted but Sean Richardson has signed a 1Y/2.55M offer sheet with the Raiders. The Packers have until Monday to match.

I could see it going either way.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,537

Post#889 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Apr 9, 2015 5:01 pm

I think there's a good chance we pick up a safety with a late pick in the draft, so I don't really know if TT will want to spend that on a backup safety and special teams player. Richardson is good depth but Ted's always been able to find serviceable undrafted guys at the position (Peprah, Banjo, Atari Bigby).
Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Post#890 » by Buckrageous » Thu Apr 9, 2015 5:27 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I think there's a good chance we pick up a safety with a late pick in the draft, so I don't really know if TT will want to spend that on a backup safety and special teams player. Richardson is good depth but Ted's always been able to find serviceable undrafted guys at the position (Peprah, Banjo, Atari Bigby).

I can understand that point of view. But I look at it as how committed are they really are to improving special teams. Richardson seemed to be a bright spot over there. They cut Taylor and kept Bostic and they cut Dorsey (after camp) even though he was starting on ST. They can fire the coach, which was warranted, but if they don't give the coach guys excelling over there I don't think it will help much.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,611

Post#891 » by emunney » Thu Apr 9, 2015 6:12 pm

Buckrageous wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:I think there's a good chance we pick up a safety with a late pick in the draft, so I don't really know if TT will want to spend that on a backup safety and special teams player. Richardson is good depth but Ted's always been able to find serviceable undrafted guys at the position (Peprah, Banjo, Atari Bigby).

I can understand that point of view. But I look at it as how committed are they really are to improving special teams. Richardson seemed to be a bright spot over there. They cut Taylor and kept Bostic and they cut Dorsey (after camp) even though he was starting on ST. They can fire the coach, which was warranted, but if they don't give the coach guys excelling over there I don't think it will help much.

Lattimore is also gone and Bush isn't back yet, although the longer Bush is out there, the more likely it seems to me that he'll be back.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,071

Post#892 » by Wisky4life » Thu Apr 9, 2015 10:42 pm

Peanut Tillman just signed with Panthers. Would of liked a 1yr deal with him but I doubt Ted would have touched him.
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
HKPackFan
RealGM

Re: Re: 2015 Offseason Thread - Guion and Raji signed 

Post#893 » by HKPackFan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:20 am

Wisky4life wrote:Peanut Tillman just signed with Panthers. Would of liked a 1yr deal with him but I doubt Ted would have touched him.

Damn i would have liked him on a 1yr deal.
Reddeye
Bench Warmer
And1: 266

Post#894 » by Reddeye » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:58 am

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... 80341.html

"I feel like the Packers know what they have in me," Goodson said. "A lot of people don't know about me yet, but it's going to happen sooner or later."
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,271

Post#895 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:55 am

Reddeye wrote:http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... 80341.html

"I feel like the Packers know what they have in me," Goodson said. "A lot of people don't know about me yet, but it's going to happen sooner or later."

Do it for Chuck
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#896 » by HKPackFan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:11 am

Barclay signed his one year tender:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/299224881.html

$1.5 million. Not bad for an average level 6th man. Next year he is an UFA.
#FreeChuckDiesel
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#897 » by El Duderino » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:30 pm

That would be huge if he can be at least competent. In today's NFL, your third corner is basically a starter and even your fourth corner will get a decent amount of snaps. If those 3rd/4th corners are liabilities, good passing teams will target those guys.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#898 » by Newz » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:01 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:

You love Cena now.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#899 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:26 pm

If Goodson pans out, he might end up being my favorite Packer. Hard not to like a Packer who was also the starting PG for the Zags when I was attending law school there.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#900 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:18 pm

Packers match Sean Richardson's offer sheet with Oakland.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.

Return to Green Bay Packers