ImageImage

2015 Offseason Thread - Datone Suspended For First game

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Re: 2015 Offseason Thread - Tramon to Browns - Pg 34 

Post#821 » by Newz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:59 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:ESPN Insider ranked the free agent season for every team.

Green Bay got the only "A" grade.

I think we retained the one guy we absolutely had to (Bulaga) and kept our best player who was a free agent (Cobb).

I think we got Bulaga on a great deal and I personally think we probably slightly overpaid Cobb vs. what he is worth (though I agree other teams would have overpaid him even more). The good part about Cobb is that he's young and you are paying to keep him through pretty much his entire prime.

Losing both House and Tramon hurts the team, but I agree we dodged a bullet by not paying either of those guys as much as they ended up getting. Those were both big overpays, IMO.

I will give us an 'A' once we have one of Raji or Guion back on a small/reasonable deal. We need something at NT reading into the year, IMO. It would also be nice if we could get a veteran depth ILB on the cheap as well.

Overall I'm really happy with the offseason so far though.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#822 » by LUKE23 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:10 pm

I actually think Raji ends up one of the biggest value signings in the league. Guy is going to be playing as hard as he ever has if he's a FA and going for potentially his last contract. It sounds like from a strength perspective he's just killing in the weight room.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,014

Post#823 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:33 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I actually think Raji ends up one of the biggest value signings in the league. Guy is going to be playing as hard as he ever has if he's a FA and going for potentially his last contract. It sounds like from a strength perspective he's just killing in the weight room.

I think we stole him, too, but couldn't you have said this last year?
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#824 » by LUKE23 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:36 pm

Yes, the same would have been true last year if he wasn't injured.
Sky High
Sixth Man
And1: 280

Post#825 » by Sky High » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Packers to introduce new alt jersey:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports ... /70449314/

Any ideas what it'll be?
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#826 » by M-C-G » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:46 pm

FAH1223 wrote:Reports said Thornton looked borderline disinterested in practice, which is concerning

I doubt he becomes a player w/ that continuing. I think he'll be in the line of TT busts with DLinemen

Curious what that report was from? Like someone at a practice in the stands or?

My guess is confusion, aggravation and whatever adjustment comes from making the jump from small school to one of the best teams in the NFL, could appear to be disinterest from a distance.

The only report I remember hearing was when he was a SO (or maybe JR) in college taking plays off. At which point his coach challenged him and at the time he was drafted his non-stop motor was one of his best attributes. But maybe I am mistaken.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#827 » by M-C-G » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Newz wrote:

I think we retained the one guy we absolutely had to (Bulaga) and kept our best player who was a free agent (Cobb).

I think we got Bulaga on a great deal and I personally think we probably slightly overpaid Cobb vs. what he is worth (though I agree other teams would have overpaid him even more). The good part about Cobb is that he's young and you are paying to keep him through pretty much his entire prime.

Losing both House and Tramon hurts the team, but I agree we dodged a bullet by not paying either of those guys as much as they ended up getting. Those were both big overpays, IMO.

I will give us an 'A' once we have one of Raji or Guion back on a small/reasonable deal. We need something at NT reading into the year, IMO. It would also be nice if we could get a veteran depth ILB on the cheap as well.

Overall I'm really happy with the offseason so far though.

I know the situations are completely different, but I feel the same about losing Tramon as I did about losing Corey Hart. When Hart left for Seattle it was obviously coming off injury plagued seasons, but my thought was that it would be worse to be the one to have to live with that guy getting 8M (or whatever the deal was) if he sucks, than it would be to let him go and watch him have a decent season.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,940

Post#828 » by humanrefutation » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:56 pm

http://football.realgm.com/wiretap/3469 ... elle-Revis

I wonder what we offered to Revis?

TT: "3 years, 15 million."
Revis: "Per season?"
TT: "No, total. Non-guaranteed."
Revis: "Thank you for your interest."
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,492

Post#829 » by Profound23 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:10 pm

humanrefutation wrote:http://football.realgm.com/wiretap/3469 ... elle-Revis

I heard at the time we were offering 4 years 48 mil/30 mil guaranteed. Reports were at the time if he was going to sign for that much money he demanded 100% guaranteed.

If this is true I applaud Ted for trying and not giving someone his age 48 mil guaranteed. Think about what that does to our future free agents.
Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Post#830 » by Buckrageous » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:43 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I actually think Raji ends up one of the biggest value signings in the league. Guy is going to be playing as hard as he ever has if he's a FA and going for potentially his last contract. It sounds like from a strength perspective he's just killing in the weight room.

Like he played in 2013 his last contract year? He was awesome, so awesome no one besides the Packers wanted him for 2014. Maybe this 3rd contract year is the charm, now it's serious.

If he wasn't already a Packer, if he was coming from Houston or Miami or wherever, there would be 0 excitement about signing him.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#831 » by LUKE23 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:50 pm

Buckrageous wrote:Like he played in 2013 his last contract year? He was awesome, so awesome no one besides the Packers wanted him for 2014. Maybe this 3rd contract year is the charm, now it's serious.

If he wasn't already a Packer, if he was coming from Houston or Miami or wherever, there would be 0 excitement about signing him.

He was playing DE in 2013, which is not his position. He's played well pretty much 100% of the time he's been at NT. And I'm not going to bag on him for a freak biceps injury. But just blatantly ignoring that they were playing him out of position due to poor DL construction in 2013 is ridiculous.

I stand by my prediction. He will be huge this year at NT for us.
Buckrageous
Starter

Post#832 » by Buckrageous » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:59 pm

He wasn't very good in 2012 either. He peaked in 2010.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#833 » by LUKE23 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:03 pm

I guess we're going to find out.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,562

Post#834 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:06 pm

humanrefutation wrote:http://football.realgm.com/wiretap/3469 ... elle-Revis

Haha, yeah I'm shocked by the reports that we even showed interest. The idea of a Revis, Shields, Ha-Ha, Burnett secondary with Hayward in the slot would be sumthin....
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#835 » by El Duderino » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:38 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
Buckrageous wrote:Like he played in 2013 his last contract year? He was awesome, so awesome no one besides the Packers wanted him for 2014. Maybe this 3rd contract year is the charm, now it's serious.

He was playing DE in 2013, which is not his position. He's played well pretty much 100% of the time he's been at NT. And I'm not going to bag on him for a freak biceps injury. But just blatantly ignoring that they were playing him out of position due to poor DL construction in 2013 is ridiculous.

I stand by my prediction. He will be huge this year at NT for us.

I'm fine with Raji coming back if he's cheap, but it's not as if he was playing all of his snaps off the center since 2010 when he was so good. For whatever reason, Raji has mostly been crap or injured since that great season, regardless if playing over center or at end.

It will be a huge deal for the team if he signs and is finally productive again, but i'd rather have seen Ted sign Knighton for the smallish one year contract he ended up getting given he's been both healthy and productive.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#836 » by El Duderino » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:56 pm

Newz wrote:

Overpay can be relative. We supposedly offered Tramon 5.5 million and Cleveland gave him 7. If you are a team with a lot of cap room, that extra 1.5 million per really isn't a big deal. Plus, he's been a durable and productive player. The Browns problem isn't paying Tramon that extra 1.5 million per, it's that they don't have a QB and without one, they will remain largely irrelevant outside of the Manziel obsession in the media.

House was a much riskier sign. The Jags had an insane amount of cap space and had to spend money. I knew Ted would never pay an injury prone and unproven guy a lot of money and i fully understand why. He is young though, has good size, and enough speed to start. It could end up being a very underrated signing or a complete bust, something a talent devoid team with piles of cap space can role the dice on. Will be interesting to see how he does there and how Hayward does here as a starter, assuming he wins the job.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#837 » by RRyder823 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:58 pm

Buckrageous wrote:He wasn't very good in 2012 either. He peaked in 2010.

Well the last time he played NT and not DE was 2011. May have peaked in 2010 but aside from the following year has been playing out of position or been hurt.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#838 » by crkone » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Raji was getting moved by only the guard and getting demolished by double teams the past few years. Time will tell if he can hold up to double teams next season.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Reddeye
Bench Warmer
And1: 268

Post#839 » by Reddeye » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:39 pm

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers may have some competition for free-agent defensive tackle Letroy Guion.

An NFL source confirmed Guion visited the Seattle Seahawks on Friday, three days after his criminal case in Florida was resolved following his February arrest on felony marijuana and firearm possession.

The source said the visit was set up almost immediately after Guion's plea arrangement was finalized on Tuesday but added that Guion was "still very hopeful" a deal could be reached to return to the Packers.

Panthers sign Boykin
Buckrageous
Starter

Post#840 » by Buckrageous » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:11 pm

Reddeye wrote:
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers may have some competition for free-agent defensive tackle Letroy Guion.

An NFL source confirmed Guion visited the Seattle Seahawks on Friday, three days after his criminal case in Florida was resolved following his February arrest on felony marijuana and firearm possession.

The source said the visit was set up almost immediately after Guion's plea arrangement was finalized on Tuesday but added that Guion was "still very hopeful" a deal could be reached to return to the Packers.

Panthers sign Boykin

Thats not good news. I was hoping Guion was coming back. I wouldnt be upset if they went NT in round 1 regardless but especially if Guion leaves.

Return to Green Bay Packers