ImageImage

ATL: Super Bowl (Seahawks vs. Patriots)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Re: ATL: Super Bowl (Seahawks vs. Patriots) 

Post#381 » by Newz » Mon Feb 2, 2015 4:40 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:If I were Schneider I'd seriously consider not re-signing Wilson and making a commitment to keeping that defense together. I know that would be shocking and completely unheard of, but I think it could be a genius outside the box idea to keeping their window open.

Not saying I'd do it, but I'd consider it.

Who are they going to get to take Wilson's place?

Lynch is aging and Wilson is really their only other impact player offensively. If you loose Wilson that offense goes from mediocre/slightly below average to just downright terrible.
ReddRum
Veteran
And1: 465
Location: Waiting for a superstar to awaken the city of Milwaukee

Post#382 » by ReddRum » Mon Feb 2, 2015 4:49 pm

The Seahawks were rated the 9th best offense in the NFL this season - how is that mediocre or slightly below average? You give this team 1 dynamic WR ala Percy Harvin and they could easily be top 5 with a little O-Line improvement next year. Russell Wilson is a guy you build around. He made huge plays against the Packers and Patriots when it mattered most. If NE's DB doesn't make an unbelievable play on the last play of the game, WIlson is a hero and would be considered a lock for a top 5 QB in the league basically. I still think he is top 5 regardless...
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Big baby ass Derozan tosses the ball in the stands and gets and gets his sorry a-- tossed. Cross him off our list of players to target.

Ejected with only two games left in your season.What immature nut...Grow up and just play.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#383 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Feb 2, 2015 4:49 pm

Newz wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:If I were Schneider I'd seriously consider not re-signing Wilson and making a commitment to keeping that defense together. I know that would be shocking and completely unheard of, but I think it could be a genius outside the box idea to keeping their window open.

Not saying I'd do it, but I'd consider it.

Who are they going to get to take Wilson's place?

Lynch is aging and Wilson is really their only other impact player offensively. If you loose Wilson that offense goes from mediocre/slightly below average to just downright terrible.

It would be risky no doubt. I just think their defense is far more important than what Wilson brings to the table, so why not keep the defense together and try to find another QB? Wilson is no hall of famer and probably not even a true Pro Bowl talent. So you really aren't giving away a true difference maker at the QB position. Maybe they could find a better QB? Maybe they just find another game manager? Either way they'd have the best defense in the NFL for another 2-3 years and with that defense they can beat anyone.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Newz
Banned User

Post#384 » by Newz » Mon Feb 2, 2015 4:55 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:It would be risky no doubt. I just think their defense is far more important than what Wilson brings to the table, so why not keep the defense together and try to find another QB? Wilson is no hall of famer and probably not even a true Pro Bowl talent. So you really aren't giving away a true difference maker at the QB position. Maybe they could find a better QB? Maybe they just find another game manager? Either way they'd have the best defense in the NFL for another 2-3 years and with that defense they can beat anyone.

Wilson is going to be 27 next year. He's won a Super Bowl and got to another. He's put up solid numbers while having a horrendous receiving core for pretty much his whole career. Wilson may be overrated by the media and casual fans, but that doesn't mean that he isn't good.

He's a top 10 QB in the NFL and likely a top 5 guy in the entire league that most people would start a franchise with due to his age, the importance of his position and his overall impact.

He's more than a game manager. He is a difference maker. They just need to actually put some talent around him. If you watch the games pretty much no one is getting open when they play against good secondaries. Most of the passes he is completing are into tight coverage.

Some of you guys are doing the opposite of what the media is doing. You are looking at two performances and now you are starting to underrate Wilson.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,169
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#385 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Feb 2, 2015 4:59 pm

Wilson was #10 in passer rating with no weapons and also was an incredible runner, which isn't accounted for in that. Can't find somebody that would hate Wilson more than the Packer/Gopher combo fan (watched with a few last night)...and don't get me wrong, I don't even really like him anymore.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#386 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Feb 2, 2015 5:04 pm

My point is Wilson is not considered a top 10 QB and "Super Bowl winning-caliber QB" if Seattle doesn't put together arguably the greatest defense in the history of the league. Hence, I would favor keeping that defense together more than keeping an undersized, game manager (imo) QB who benefited from said defense. Especially at 20+ million a year.

ETA: And again I'm not advocating it. I'm just saying it should get serious consideration.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#387 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Feb 2, 2015 5:09 pm

It's not a terrible theory, but I think Wilson is a lot better than you are giving him credit for.

Look at Buffalo, where Orton wasn't even that bad. Their defense was probably as good as Seattle's this year and look where they are. Cleveland has had some stellar defenses, Cincy has been good, Zona had a good one a few years ago, etc. and it all gets drained if you don't have a good QB option.
Newz
Banned User

Post#388 » by Newz » Mon Feb 2, 2015 5:16 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:My point is Wilson is not considered a top 10 QB and "Super Bowl winning-caliber QB" if Seattle doesn't put together arguably the greatest defense in the history of the league. Hence, I would favor keeping that defense together more than keeping an undersized, game manager (imo) QB who benefited from said defense. Especially at 20+ million a year.

ETA: And again I'm not advocating it. I'm just saying it should get serious consideration.

I think the difference is that I think Wilson is better than you do. Probably a lot better. He isn't Brady or Rodgers, but he's second tier. The guy just has very few weapons on his team and he hasn't had many since he came into the league.

His primary weapon, as you said, is his defense. I think they pretty much already have that secondary locked up, don't they? I was actually talked to some people I was watching the game with yesterday about how I think their downfall might be when they start to lose their pass rushers to age/free agency. They also seem to have some underrated LBs too.

Because I think Wilson is better than you do I also think it's going to be harder to replace him than you do. Wilson didn't play great, but he played well enough to get them to the Super Bowl throughout the year. In the playoffs he struggled, though he came alive at the end of the Packer game when we fell apart. I also think you may underestimate how valuable it is to them that he can run and create time... that is especially valuable when you have no one that can get open.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,562

Post#389 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Feb 2, 2015 5:21 pm

I think Wilson is massively overrated, but even I can admit that Seattle would be foolish to let him walk. The problem is that they're basically forced to re-sign him because of the difference even an above-average QB makes in the modern NFL.

The caveat would be if you lock yourself into a Cutler or Dalton-esque QB with top dollar for the position. Obviously, Russell's much better than those two, but I view this as almost exactly like the Joe Flacco situation. I doubt you'll find anyone who says that Flacco "deserved" to be the highest paid QB when he signed his deal 2 years ago.

It'll be an interesting debate to have when Wilson signs his extension. That being, who would you rather have, Flacco on his current deal, or Wilson as the highest paid QB in the league?
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,940

Post#390 » by humanrefutation » Mon Feb 2, 2015 5:26 pm

If Wilson was Andy Dalton, I'd bite and say let him walk.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#391 » by FAH1223 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 5:28 pm

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/

Seahawks cap situation.

They can re-sign Wilson and Wagner no problem.

They want to re-sign Lynch.

Maxwell is a free agent in 2016. I think they might lose him then.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#392 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Feb 2, 2015 5:41 pm

FAH1223 wrote:http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/" target="_blank

Seahawks cap situation.

They're on a tigher budget than you'd think, though. They can re-sign all of those guys right now but there is zero room for error. They won last Super Bowl with Sidney Rice making $12 million to sit on the couch as well as Zach Miller to do the same.

You also have to factor in the draft and the bottom guys of the roster. They can't go out and as easily make a push for Kevin Williams and guys like that for "cheap" but still expensive on the whole.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#393 » by RRyder823 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 6:06 pm

FAH1223 wrote:http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/" target="_blank

Seahawks cap situation.

Wilson will sign his deal without a hitch but Wagners going to get top dollar at LB so I wouldnt say no problem. Boy reminds me of Derrick Brooks n with the money already invested in the secondary they might not be able to afford having a top 2-3 LB salary on their roster. If they cant lock him up early I could see them tagging him even. That boys gonna get paid n as mentioned it leaves zero room for error when it comes to the middle of the roster. Hense why being a perennial contender n not a 2-3 year wonder is so rare
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,946

Post#394 » by sidney lanier » Mon Feb 2, 2015 6:22 pm

Profound23 wrote:
sidney lanier wrote:
Newz wrote:And so it begins for Seattle...

Their D-Coordinator has just been hired away by the Falcons. I was shocked it didn't start happening for them last year.

I don't expect them to totally unravel. It'll be a few years before Pete Carroll has to run away from a program he messed up again.

But I do take great pleasure (and my apologies to those who retain good Badger feelings about him) in the knowledge that, every day for the rest of his life, Russell Wilson will wake up with this thought: "I threw the costliest interception in NFL history."

I wonder if God made him throw that interception.

God has finally been interviewed on this point. The URL to the article in which God is quoted contains some ungodlike language, but if you go to theonion.com and search Russell Wilson you'll see it.

THE HEAVENS—Following the game-ending interception against the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLIX, God Almighty, Creator and Supreme Ruler of the Universe, confirmed Monday that He “can’t f*cking stand Russell Wilson” and that the Seattle Seahawks star quarterback “can go f*ck himself.” “I hate Russell Wilson, so f*ck him, and f*ck the Seahawks,” said the Heavenly Father, adding that Jermaine Kearse’s incredible catch on Seattle’s final drive was indeed a case of divine intervention, but only so Wilson could then throw an interception that cost his team the Super Bowl. “I mean, the look on his face right after I made him throw that pick on the goal line was just priceless. He’s so f*cking annoying, so I wanted to get his hopes up and then crush him in front of the whole world. Self-righteous little pr*ck.” Despite subsequently allowing the Patriots to win their fourth Super Bowl title, God also clarified that Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, and Robert Kraft are all “dirty f*cking cheats” who will spend an eternity in Hell after they die.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,972

Post#395 » by drew881 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 6:50 pm

So much sour grapes in this thread, let alone directed at a player that used to play in Wisconsin (albeit for a year). I think it really is coloring your opinion of Wilson being only a game manager. I agree he is not the top quarterback in the league on the level of Manning or Brady, but he has 1 Super Bowl win and 2 Super Bowl appearances. That should at least put him in the Joe Flacco/Eli basement in terms of legacy and put him on the path to Drew Brees status, even if he isn't throwing the ball quite nearly as much as someone like Brees. I think that respect should be due here, even if you are upset the Seahawks knocked out the Packers.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#396 » by Mags FTW » Mon Feb 2, 2015 6:59 pm

Letting Wilson walk would be complete lunacy. Ask teams like the Raiders, Bills, Jags, Titans, etc. how important it is to have a competent QB in order to win games. Those GMs would probably cut off their left nut to have Wilson play for them.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#397 » by trwi7 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:18 pm

Risdon

Lockette could have gone a little harder after the ball. Yet Bevell bringing that up in the postgame is completely classless, throwing Lockette under the bus and refusing to acknowledge Butler’s awesome anticipation. Nobody’s star has fallen quicker than Bevell, who called a terrible game two weeks ago against Green Bay and got away with it thanks to Packers coach Mike McCarthy’s own asinine game management. Now everyone is beginning to remember Bevell made his name as a coordinator by having Brett Favre ignore his play calls in that one fantastic season in Minnesota.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#398 » by trwi7 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:26 pm

stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#399 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:53 pm

Sapp arrested for soliciting a prostitute. Awesome; couldn't have happened to a bigger scum bag. Hope i was a dirty streetwalker type down on Van Bueren.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/02/02/warren-sa ... rostitute/" target="_blank
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,492

Post#400 » by Profound23 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:58 pm

trwi7 wrote:Risdon

Lockette could have gone a little harder after the ball. Yet Bevell bringing that up in the postgame is completely classless, throwing Lockette under the bus and refusing to acknowledge Butler’s awesome anticipation. Nobody’s star has fallen quicker than Bevell, who called a terrible game two weeks ago against Green Bay and got away with it thanks to Packers coach Mike McCarthy’s own asinine game management. Now everyone is beginning to remember Bevell made his name as a coordinator by having Brett Favre ignore his play calls in that one fantastic season in Minnesota.

I love that all year I was saying this. In fantasy football I was literally screaming every week how dumb Bevell was for not giving the ball to Lynch. Everyone told me I was being biased because he was my back.

Well, when the lights came on last night we all saw the truth. Wasting a year of a back like Lynch is just sad. McCarthy needs to see this with Lacy. When it's 1st and goal at a crucial time like that, you give Lacy 3....maybe 4 straight chances. Stop trying to let your QB be the hero. Stop trying to show how much smarter you are than everyone. Just punch it in and take the win.

Return to Green Bay Packers