ImageImage

Do any of you ever question if your Packers love is irrational?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Do any of you ever question if your Packers love is irrational? 

Post#1 » by El Duderino » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:28 am

I didn't read anything posted in this forum since the game so maybe others have already touched on this subject, but i simply couldn't stomach even coming on here before now.

We are a few days away from the game and it's very frustrating that i can't come close to shaking what happened on Sunday. It's starting to make me feel like a dork and irrational to feel this way over a game. I took my father out to see Unbroken today and when in line for the tickets, a guy in front of me had on a Packers jacket and i was annoyed to be standing by him. Instantly the Packers meltdown flooded right back into my brain. It was in my head inside the theater until the movie got going as i tried hard to block out those evil thoughts.

Since the game i can't watch anything on ESPN like say SVP and Russilo which is my favorite sports show. I turned off the auto record of it, same with PTI. Haven't seen a single highlight or read any articles about the game. It's so pathetic that even just seeing something scroll on the bottom of a basketball game which shows Seattle makes me fast forward and can bring back the gut punch. As soon as anyone i see, they start talking about the game and i immediately tell them to zip it. Don't want to talk about the game with them at all, almost like an angry child, except i'm a grown man who should be above that. I even snapped a bit at my daughter when she persisted yesterday. As of right now at least, i have no plans to watch the Super Bowl because it will just bring back the disaster in Seattle.

When a think about the fact there are situations like kids in cancer wards across the country or other kids facing terrible issues, i feel stupid and irrational for letting a game get to me like this, but it is was it is. I wonder when this post game fog will leave? When just the slightest mention of the game, a mention of the up coming Super Bowl, or i can read/discuss something Packer related without that sick feeling in my gut flaring back up?

I thought i was well beyond ever feeling anywhere close to this way over any type of sporting event, especially after years ago suffering a terrible accident and sharing a physical rehab room with children who had Cerebral Palsy. It's troubling to me that i've reacted this way and i wonder if anyone else feels the same way?
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Re: Do any of you ever question if your Packers love is irrational? 

Post#2 » by RRyder823 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 am

Im with ya brother
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,013

Post#3 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:43 am

On Saturday I went to a funeral for a guy I grew up with. We're second cousins and I know his entire family and if I had a best friend as a kid I'd probably consider him it. I haven't spoken to him in 15 years but the fact that the Packers loss made me more upset is pretty disturbing.

ETA: I was over the loss by the next day, but it's the fact that I was even bothered to that degree in the first place is what's scary.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,274

Post#4 » by HKPackFan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:50 am

A lot of the same feelings, so I try to block it out. I'm staying away from sports as much as possible. I stopped following a lot of the threads and stopped debating and discussing what happened and stopped reading articles.

What's annoying is my twitter feed is 99% sports so I'm not checking twitter either anymore.

The good thing about living in another country is it's way easier to get over the loss because no one is talking about it, so it's easier to be out of sight and out of mind. Not sure if I'll watch the superbowl, let's see it's 2 weeks away.

It's weird trying to get out of this routine of checking all my favorite sports websites which I check 20 times a day. When I'm on the train commuting back and forth to work I have a lot of free time and usually read 10 articles about the Packers, and check all the threads. So I find myself actually yelling at myself, "STOP. Don't read it, don't click on any of those!" It's so habitual it's wired in me, I'm forcing myself to avoid it constantly. I'm like WTF, is this like giving up cigarettes or something, I need to stop this!

I just want a little break and come back fresh. Trying to distract myself with work and other stuff.

I felt bad for my daughter, she was devastated, she's 11. She woke up on her own before 5AM on a school day (no alarm! How is that possible?) to watch the game with me and was celebrating the whole time. Then she got on the bus at 7AM and we are all thinking we are going to the superbowl, the Packers had just kicked another FG to make it 12pts.

Then I was texting her the play by play on the bus, and honestly was hardly able to watch what was unfolding because she was dying to know every play and I couldn't really believe what was all happening. When it ended I was like, damn I don't want her to feel like me!!

So I have tried to put on a different front the last couple of days as if the loss didn't bother me as much and to keep telling her next year is going to be good, it's all fine. I don't want her going through these crazy crazy highs and lows like I do, but I guess it's already started with her, maybe that's just how we Packer fans are?
#FreeChuckDiesel
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#5 » by trwi7 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:01 am

I know my love is irrational.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#6 » by Newz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:08 am

I let the Packers loss impact my life for about five minutes. After that I let it go. There are a lot more important things in life than sports.

I like talking sports, I'm a big fan of posting here, I like debating when it comes to them and learning about them... but I don't let them get me angry or down in the dumps.

Life is way, way too short to spend it angry about sports.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,949

Post#7 » by BUCKnation » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:45 am

Usually I'm pretty good about accepting a loss. I mean, my teams have gone through some ridiculous results, so I'm very desensitized, but this one was probably the toughest I've ever experienced. I come here and read and contribute thoughts, but other than that I don't even want to discuss the game and I try to tune out people who start to talk about it.

As weird as it seems, a decent amount of my joy with being a Packers fan is the bragging rights we have considering our other in state teams aren't really that notable. After this game, fans of other teams can constantly remind us of this game and that is depressing, b/c like I said, I felt terrible after this one.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,878

Post#8 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:04 am

Newz wrote:I let the Packers loss impact my life for about five minutes. After that I let it go. There are a lot more important things in life than sports.

I think most people understand this completely. Actually applying it in real life is much more difficult.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#9 » by El Duderino » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:16 am

Newz wrote:I let the Packers loss impact my life for about five minutes. After that I let it go. There are a lot more important things in life than sports.

I like talking sports, I'm a big fan of posting here, I like debating when it comes to them and learning about them... but I don't let them get me angry or down in the dumps.

I've been that way for a number of years now. I used to easily fume over close losses in big games of teams i cheered for, but then i had a bad accident which required a fairly long stint of physical rehab. At the clinic on some days, other therapists worked with children who had Cerebral Palsy. It had a pretty profound impact on me. Not just seeing the terrible hand in life those kids were dealt, but as a father of a healthy daughter, i felt for their parents who had to see their kids deal with so much hardship.

Since that time it truly changed how i viewed many things in life, especially in regards to no longer getting really upset over trivial things like money, material objects, female relationships, and just a variety of other issues which in the past could get me stressed out, including sports.

That game Sunday though really caught me off guard in just how much it stung and is still lingering strong with me. Clearly the way in which they lost is the biggest factor as to why, but even with that, i couldn't have expected it to bother me to this degree and i'm annoyed that i can't shake the fog. That i can't even consider talking, watching, or reading anything about the game. Same with the Super Bowl. It's as if i'm trying my hardest to pretend the game never happened to pass on having the bandage being ripped off, but even avoiding everything elated to the game hasn't worked. This inability to shake that game bothers me a lot and i want it to go away sooner than later, but i have a bad feeling it won't.

Uggg, Life was going good too for the most part and then Brandon friggin Bostick of all people on this planet would be the person to throw off the swell groove i had going. :x
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,524

Post#10 » by th87 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:23 am

Great thread.

We did talk about this briefly, and yes, I often question it. But I find that there's nothing I can do about it at this age. I became a fan at the age of 8 (in 1988), and have cried when they lost (only around that age though!). That's a solid 26 years of undying fandom, such that it's become as part of my identity as anything else. I usually watch games by myself, because I can't stand to talk to anyone.

Losing sucks, and losing like this is absurdly painful. Even though you know it's just a bunch of dudes throwing a ball around. I recovered somewhat quickly from SF last year, and the year previous, but this one was a different animal. I hoped so much that if we were to lose, I'd rather it not be close.

I see the game when I close my eyes, my sleep's been restless, and I wake up vaguely angry. I can go about my day, but suddenly some thought will trigger something, and I'm thinking about it again. I think I also care so much because at the young age I became a fan, in my mind, the Packers winning represented the "universe" giving you what you want for something you have no control over, and thus you can consider this "universe" just and fair (because of course I deserved it haha). As I grew up, I don't think this feeling ever quite left my subconscious mind, so there are childish flashes of why the universe just handed out something this excruciating. It's kind of embarrassing to even verbalize this!

I feel worse about this than any breakups I've ever had. I've found that I've felt better talking to people about this in a kind of "WTF WERE THEY THINKING" type way.

Should I have kids, I'm seriously questioning whether I want them to get into sports fandom as much as I did. I have a young cousin who's not into the Packers who is merrily going along with his life, while the rest of his family is slogging through their day. Is it worth it? Because losing sucks more than winning is awesome, and any given team will be more likely to ultimately lose (as they won't be winning championships every year).

I FULLY UNDERSTAND THIS IS THE DUMBEST THING EVER. This is the epitome of #firstworldproblems.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#11 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:02 am

I'm similar, in that I'm usually very detached. Wasn't always the case.

I was detached through most of the game, until they started making mistakes. Then I started telling myself they were going to blow it, and I gradually became more and more agitated. On the final play, as the ball was released I yelled, "what the **** are you doing!" I then watched about two minutes of the post game, and stormed out of my friend's house.

I think it's because the Packers represent us, to ourselves.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,274

Post#12 » by HKPackFan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:12 am

What's infuriating is when someone sees you upset and they try to console you by saying, "It's just a game." :banghead:

WTF, like I didn't know that!?!? :evil:

Like "oh...It is??? Jee thanks, I feel so much better now, I didn't realize it until you said so.."

I know my behavior is irrational over a game, but me knowing it, doesn't change it. Like mentioned before watching since childhood makes it a part of you, even into your adult years.

One nice thing I did see was Rodgers commenting on the pain the fans are suffering, he was very empathetic and saying he feels they same pain. That guy always says the right things. Love that guy.
#FreeChuckDiesel
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#13 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:07 pm

One of you guys wrote about not being able to enjoy Packers games as much since they became so good and a SB was expected.

I'm probably in that boat. I can't get excited or have must see TV for the regular season games other than the opener anymore. And then when the playoffs come, I'm a wreck during those games. Enjoyed it more when there were zero expectations.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,013

Post#14 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:12 pm

I get Packer fandom, down to the most irrational. It's die hard Bucks fandom that I can't wrap my head around. What any of us are doing here is worthy of an extensive study.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,533

Post#15 » by Profound23 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:11 pm

So, I did all I could not to let my guard down.

Last week I was expecting a loss.

-Halftime 16-0 (yeah, I will believe it when I see it)
-16-7 (Yep, here it comes)
-19-7(Seattle only needs two tds)
-Ha-Ha's INT (WHY DID HE SLIDE?)

My wife is telling me to enjoy it. Everyone around me at BW3's is telling me it's over. I just can't believe it. I don't want to let myself believe it. I thought I was protecting myself from heartbreak.

AND just the second I start to buy into the possibility of a Superbowl appearance, the meltdown begins. So much pain. While everyone is telling me how they are over it, I am waking up in the middle of the night thinking "how the hell did they lose that game?" I learned a lesson through this experience, no longer am I going to predict losses to shield myself from pain. It didn't work.

I feel like Charlie Brown as he sees Lucy with the ball down. I refuse to try for it and she somehow talks me into it again and again. Every year I have low expectations, then they do something to get them back up. Of course, only like the Packers can they consistently let me down in the most devastating way possible.

Next year, I do it differently. My expectations are high from the get go.
16-0 and on to Superbowl 50!!!!!! Ok, 13-3!
Seattle comes to Lambeau and we are going to dominate that team.

In other words, yes.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,997

Post#16 » by humanrefutation » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:32 pm

I feel you, Dude. I reacted very much the same way as you - I haven't watched ESPN since. I've deleted PTI/ATH on my DVR. I've avoided having discussions about the game with almost anyone outside of this forum. I had trouble sleeping the couple nights after, replaying the results over and over again in my mind. During the day, I find my thoughts drifting back to the game from time to time, and I see moments of absolute horror - the Bostick bobble, the Lynch touchdown, the pass to Baldwin on 3rd and 7 in OT, the touchdown, and the look on Aaron's face as he walked off the field - and I get devastated all over again. It's not just a loss, it's who we lost to - a Seattle team, at home, who almost everyone picked to beat us - and how we lost. It just tears me up inside.

This reaction - all for a game. A damn game.

We've been lucky to be Packers fans. We could be Lions or Vikings fans - their teams have never won a Super Bowl. We could be Bears fans - most of my friends were too young to see their team win in 1985. We could be fans of the other ~25 NFL franchises that haven't had even remotely the same success we've had over our lifetimes, or the other 31 that don't have our history.

But it's hard to see that right now. This was the worst loss of my life as a sports fan, and it hurts.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,997

Post#17 » by humanrefutation » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:45 pm

By the way, having you all here makes it easier for me to deal with my feelings about this game. Thank you.

I'm banking on the fact that this loss will make winning it all next year THAT MUCH SWEETER.
an_also
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#18 » by an_also » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:50 pm

Its normal guys. We all feel grief for any type of losses in some way.

Losing someone close to death = We feel grief and mourn the loss and will take a long long time to get over

Packers losing a heartbreaker = We feel the loss but not to the same extent.

At the ending of the day our brains are just processing the loss and goes through the stages of grief (Denial, anger, sadness etc etc)

Sorry to get all philosophical but thats how the human brain works. When we're really invested in something, it will affect us if things don't go the way we want them to. Especially if it looks like it will then it gets snatched from us. I think thats the beauty of being a hardcore fan.

I let sundays loss linger for a day or two. Now I'm over it.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,533

Post#19 » by Profound23 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:34 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I feel you, Dude. I reacted very much the same way as you - I haven't watched ESPN since. I've deleted PTI/ATH on my DVR. I've avoided having discussions about the game with almost anyone outside of this forum. I had trouble sleeping the couple nights after, replaying the results over and over again in my mind. During the day, I find my thoughts drifting back to the game from time to time, and I see moments of absolute horror - the Bostick bobble, the Lynch touchdown, the pass to Baldwin on 3rd and 7 in OT, the touchdown, and the look on Aaron's face as he walked off the field - and I get devastated all over again. It's not just a loss, it's who we lost to - a Seattle team, at home, who almost everyone picked to beat us - and how we lost. It just tears me up inside.

This reaction - all for a game. A damn game.

We've been lucky to be Packers fans. We could be Lions or Vikings fans - their teams have never won a Super Bowl. We could be Bears fans - most of my friends were too young to see their team win in 1985. We could be fans of the other ~25 NFL franchises that haven't had even remotely the same success we've had over our lifetimes, or the other 31 that don't have our history.

But it's hard to see that right now. This was the worst loss of my life as a sports fan, and it hurts.

Agreed! I have no problem talking about it. Most do though so I just be quiet. Still have yet to watch anything sports related and probably won't until the Superbowl. I still haven't seen the finish of the catch. When the ball was in the air I stood up and walked out knowing it was over. I didn't even know it was Kearse until someone told me which was ironic because before that he had 4 targets and all of them intercepted.

I still couldn't sleep last night. I mean I laughed last week at the ref saying he had PTSD from the Fail Mary game, now I understand how (even though it is just a game) that can happen.

We have to beat Seattle next year and we have to win at least one more Superbowl with Rodgers for me to put this behind me.
StillABucksFan
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#20 » by StillABucksFan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:34 pm

I think I'm pretty good at repressing stuff, so I haven't been acting as irrationally as some of my friends. Certainly felt devastated at the end of the game. After the game-drank till I forgot about it.

Return to Green Bay Packers