ImageImage

Cobb Resigns page 7

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Re: Cobb wants $9 million a year - He wants more Pg 3. 

Post#61 » by FAH1223 » Wed Mar 4, 2015 4:10 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/573139714275819520[/tweet]

:banghead: F*** his agent. Damnit. :banghead:
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#62 » by Jollay » Wed Mar 4, 2015 4:11 pm

Now hearing some rumblings out of Phily they like Cobb over Maclin. Makes sense in that system.
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#63 » by glenn » Wed Mar 4, 2015 4:25 pm

I love Cobb, but if he ends up with some mega-deal he'll probably get cut in a couple of years. And if he signs with Jacksonville or Oakland he is a dumbass.
:reporter:
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,512

Post#64 » by th87 » Wed Mar 4, 2015 6:39 pm

Cobb is so important to the offense - remember the clutch catches to close out some games? He and Rodgers have such good chemistry, and Rodgers himself has said that they are totally in sync. Shorts, Royal, etc. will not bring that. Cobb also didn't disappear in the playoffs like Nelson did.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#65 » by eagle13 » Wed Mar 4, 2015 6:53 pm

Eddie Royal at 6-7m over Cobb at 11-12
chemistry can be built quickly especially with a veteran that already runs crisp routes like Royal does. And Royal has more speed! Plus draft a great prospect like Stefan Diggs in 2nd.

Jeremy Parnel at 5-6m over Bulaga at 8-9
Jeremy Parnel played very well at RT for Cowboys for last 2 games of season and playoffs against us but they also have starting RT Doug Free returning from injury also a FA. Parnel is already age 29 but he would be a fine starter for 2-3 years (and relatively cheap) until a rookie we draft this year (in our lucky OL 4th round) like Wisco's Havenstein or Sean Hickey develops

1st draft pick Charles Johnson at approx 1.8m over House at 5-7m
Johnson or any number of rookie CBs will be better than House and on a cheap rookie contract.

Tramon Williams? I like his veteran leadership for the SB push. He made $9m last year - I'd pay up to $7m to stay if its mostly unguaranteed. If he wants more or a lot guaranteeed then I draft another CB maybe Josh Shaw in the 4th.

We’ve saved 8-15m not counting Tramon (b/c I hope he stays)

We can easily afford to sign ILB Brandon Spikes or Mason Foster or both for the 7.5m each we paid Jones and Hawk.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,941

Post#66 » by humanrefutation » Wed Mar 4, 2015 6:54 pm

th87 wrote:Cobb is so important to the offense - remember the clutch catches to close out some games? He and Rodgers have such good chemistry, and Rodgers himself has said that they are totally in sync. Shorts, Royal, etc. will not bring that. Cobb also didn't disappear in the playoffs like Nelson did.

Adding him to the backfield also added another dimension to the offense as well.

I don't get this notion of "slot receivers are only worth x-amount." That seems like an old-school way of thinking, when offenses have developed to the point that slot receivers should be judged by their contributions to the offense. Nelson is the bigger threat, undoubtedly. Cobb is the more versatile player, though.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#67 » by RiotPunch » Wed Mar 4, 2015 7:26 pm

Eddie Royal and Dorial Green-Beckham, please. Cobb is not worth any more than $10M per. Love the guy, but damn.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
th87
General Manager

Post#68 » by th87 » Wed Mar 4, 2015 7:27 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
th87 wrote:Cobb is so important to the offense - remember the clutch catches to close out some games? He and Rodgers have such good chemistry, and Rodgers himself has said that they are totally in sync. Shorts, Royal, etc. will not bring that. Cobb also didn't disappear in the playoffs like Nelson did.

Adding him to the backfield also added another dimension to the offense as well.

I don't get this notion of "slot receivers are only worth x-amount." That seems like an old-school way of thinking, when offenses have developed to the point that slot receivers should be judged by their contributions to the offense. Nelson is the bigger threat, undoubtedly. Cobb is the more versatile player, though.

Agreed totally.

And then he was also a big threat in the red zone. For a team with woes in that regard, I don't see how we can stomach losing him. We wouldn't be as good as last year, and we were this close.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,166

Post#69 » by raysbookclub » Wed Mar 4, 2015 7:29 pm

eagle13 wrote:Eddie Royal at 6-7m over Cobb at 11-12

Jeremy Parnel at 5-6m over Bulaga at 8-9

We’ve saved 8-15m not counting Tramon (b/c I hope he stays)

We can easily afford to sign ILB Brandon Spikes or Mason Foster or both for the 7.5m each we paid Jones and Hawk.

Problem with Royal and Parnel (and Spikes or Foster) is that they're UFA's, so they'd cost us comp picks. If the team doesn't sign Cobb, then I'd rather go with Harry Douglas over Royal, since Douglas was released and wouldn't cost anything for comp picks.

Abbrederis is a potentially great slot guy, wonder how healthy he is...
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#70 » by Newz » Wed Mar 4, 2015 7:30 pm

Cecil Shorts is a free agent?

He would be another good pick-up if we let Cobb go. Shorts, from what I can recall, tends to grade out extremely well. Gets open constantly, just has never had anyone to get him the ball.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,176

Re: Cobb wants $9 million a year 

Post#71 » by Iheartfootball » Wed Mar 4, 2015 7:36 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:He'll regret leaving if he does.

I'm thinking he will have 12 million or so reasons not to.

I hope he resigns but at the right price. If not, they have Adams with a year under his belt, Janis and Abbrederis could come in play. They could draft some talent too. It's not like the well at WR is dry. It would hurt but not as much as I sometimes convince myself.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#72 » by RiotPunch » Wed Mar 4, 2015 7:39 pm

Newz wrote:Cecil Shorts is a free agent?

He would be another good pick-up if we let Cobb go. Shorts, from what I can recall, tends to grade out extremely well. Gets open constantly, just has never had anyone to get him the ball.

Shorts would be a great addition.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,176

Post#73 » by Iheartfootball » Wed Mar 4, 2015 7:44 pm

You guys think TT would replace Cobb in the draft or free agency? My money is on draft but if he sees value...
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,223

Post#74 » by rilamann » Wed Mar 4, 2015 7:49 pm

That's a great point,losing Cobb's production would be big obviously but when you also consider the intangibles he brings like leadership and the clutch factor,that would make his loss devastating to this team.

Every big catch or game ending/game winning catch the last 2 seasons has been made by Cobb.Off the top of my head I think of the Bears game week 17 in 2013 to win the division,you go back like you mentioned to this past season when he had clutch catches to end the Patriots game then the playoff game vs Dallas.Those 3 games are our 3 biggest wins the last 2 seasons and Cobb was there at the end to come up big in ALL of them.

Which makes it all the more infuriating when you think that MM/Rodgers didn't have the guts to even try to test Cobb's reliable clutch gene at the end of the Seattle game when Seattle had the box over-loaded when all you needed was 1 maybe 2 first downs to go to advance to the Super Bowl,or at least try Nelson with a one armed Sherman on him....ugh.But if Mike McCarthy didn't go away from what got him there and forget in the biggest moment that he has the best QB in the league he wouldn't be Mike McCarthy.

But back to the topic,IMO not retaining Cobb would show that the Packers from a management standpoint are not all that serious about winning or going ''all in'' while you have the best QB in the league in his prime.

My theory is that their mentality could be to say,hey as long as we have Aaron Rodgers we'll still be in the playoffs,be relevant and sell out every game and still sell a ton of merchandise,if we get hot in Janauary and win the Super Bowl great but why spend a ton of money when we don't have to.It's not like the Packers have the type of fan base that will call them out on something like that.

Most Packer fans are pretty content with simply making the playoffs,which is exactly why Packers management might have that mentality.

That's pretty much what they did over Favre's last 10 seasons with the Packers.Once Holmgren left and Reggie retired the Packers never went all in or showed they were all that serious about another winning a Super Bowl with Favre,they knew as long as Favre was there the team team would be relevant and the fans would still show up and that was enough for management.

I'm nervous that the Packers are doing the same thing with Rodgers' career and not re-signing someone as important as Cobb would show that.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,478

Post#75 » by neiLz » Wed Mar 4, 2015 8:00 pm

I think the packers can definitely afford the 12 million for cobb but I almost think it would be wise to use that cap space to fill other holes.

They could take that 12 mil and sign a solid slot and LB. Then resign bulaga and tramon/house. They'd still have more left over to look at additional NT's or even a TE.

I really like cobb but if the overall team can be improved, I'd prefer that. Maximize the cap space.
th87
General Manager

Post#76 » by th87 » Wed Mar 4, 2015 8:03 pm

rilamann wrote:

That's a great point,losing Cobb's production would be big obviously but when you also consider the intangibles he brings like leadership and the clutch factor,that would make his loss devastating to this team.

Every big catch or game ending/game winning catch the last 2 seasons has been made by Cobb.Off the top of my head I think of the Bears game week 17 in 2013 to win the division,you go back like you mentioned to this past season when he had clutch catches to end the Patriots game then the playoff game vs Dallas.Those 3 games are our 3 biggest wins the last 2 seasons and Cobb was there at the end to come up big in ALL of them.

Which makes it all the more infuriating when you think that MM/Rodgers didn't have the guts to even try to test Cobb's reliable clutch gene at the end of the Seattle game when Seattle had the box over-loaded when all you needed was 1 maybe 2 first downs to go to advance to the Super Bowl,or at least try Nelson with a one armed Sherman on him....ugh.But if Mike McCarthy didn't go away from what got him there and forget in the biggest moment that he has the best QB in the league he wouldn't be Mike McCarthy.

But back to the topic,IMO not retaining Cobb would show that the Packers from a management standpoint are not all that serious about winning or going ''all in'' while you have the best QB in the league in his prime.

My theory is that their mentality could be to say,hey as long as we have Aaron Rodgers we'll still be in the playoffs,be relevant and sell out every game and still sell a ton of merchandise,why spend a ton of money when we don't have to.It's not like the Packers have the type of fan base that will call them out on something like that.

Most Packer fans are pretty content with simply making the playoffs,which is exactly why Packers management might have that mentality.

That's pretty much what they did over Favre's last 10 seasons with the Packers.Once Holmgren left and Reggie retired the Packers never went all in or showed they were all that serious about another winning a Super Bowl with Favre,they knew as long as Favre was there the team team would be relevant and the fans would still show up and that was enough for management.

I'm nervous that the Packers are doing the same thing with Rodgers' career and not re-signing someone as important as Cobb would show that.

Wouldn't go that far regarding the Packers philosophy. My criticism would be its sometimes strict adherence to dogma without flexibility. TT sets a value and never budges from it. This has served us well in general, but there may be points that deviating from it would be the right call. I still think Moss in 2007 would've been good - he was motivated and would get to play with someone he respected. Lynch in 2010 would've been spectacular (Alex Green is who we would've missed out on IIRC), and maybe we have more than one SB as a result.

The dogma makes us spectacular, but it does, on occasion, prevent us from being as good as we possibly can be. Losing Cobb would be one such instance.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,223

Post#77 » by rilamann » Wed Mar 4, 2015 8:32 pm

Just a theory on my part and maybe my perception isn't completely the reality but it doesn't always seem like the Packers do as much as they could to put the best possible team out there around Rodgers

To clarify I might be more on the the bandwagon of letting Cobb go and go the cheaper route and try to replace him via the draft and hope that the guy who you draft develops into something if Rodgers was younger,but he'll be turning 32 this season,we're starting to run out of time on the draft and develop mentality if you want to win another one with Rodgers.

You can still do the draft and develop thing which is a good way to go in the NFL but at this point we must keep our main pieces like Cobb.

Cobb's replacement isn't on our roster and even if you draft the right guy it's going to take 2 maybe 3 seasons for that guy to develop into what you have in Cobb right now and then we're talking about Rodgers being in his mid 30's.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,493

Post#78 » by Profound23 » Wed Mar 4, 2015 9:24 pm

ArodpwnsFavre wrote:I think the packers can definitely afford the 12 million for cobb but I almost think it would be wise to use that cap space to fill other holes.

They could take that 12 mil and sign a solid slot and LB. Then resign bulaga and tramon/house. They'd still have more left over to look at additional NT's or even a TE.

I really like cobb but if the overall team can be improved, I'd prefer that. Maximize the cap space.

Julius Thomas/Brandon Graham>Randall Cobb

I assume Thomas wants around 7-9 mil and Graham will want around 3-4 mil per year.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#79 » by BUCKnation » Wed Mar 4, 2015 9:53 pm

If he wants more than $10M, I say pass and find another target either in FA or the draft. Can't be too hard to convince a player like Shorts, who has never played with an good QB to come to GB and play with Rodgers.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#80 » by wichmae » Wed Mar 4, 2015 10:51 pm

The problem with Cecil Shirts is he cant stay healthy, isnt good after the catch, and is very very slow. Him and Boykin are similar players all while not costing us anything.

Return to Green Bay Packers