Mike Sherman in Town - Interview

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Mike Sherman in Town - Interview 

Post#1 » by HKPackFan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:29 am

http://www.packersnews.com/story/life/f ... /70222862/

He's doing a talk in GB. I liked Sherman the coach during his tenure, really disliked Sherman the GM. Through it all, he may not have been great, but I always thought he was a stand up guy. He did have some highlights. I absolutely loved the rushing attack he brought to GB. Ahman Green and that Oline was unstoppable. U-71 hahaha. Crazy even the fans knew the play when kevin barry trotted onto the field but it still couldn't be stopped. Oh man the days of Cliffy and Taush, Wahle and Rivera. I remember I'd read about Marco his first year or so in NFL Europe. We had a couple linemen go there for seasoning.

2003 was quite a year, with Favre's Oakland game, and Holmgren coming back to GB in the playoffs with our former backup Hassleback and his "were gonna score" and Harris's OT INT. Man what a year.

It ended in horrific fashion with 4th and 26. Which in the article Sherman says it still haunts him. It would still haunt me too if it wasn't for that superbowl in 2010. His tenure in GB pretty much ended after that game, everything fell apart, it started with Mckenzie's hold out and **** drafting caught up to them, and it all collapsed.

It's funny looking back at 4th and 26th vs 2014's collapse. Packers were up in the first half and at 4th and 1, I was 100% in agreement with Sherman to go for it early in the game at the goal line. You have the best oline in GB ever, a great RB, and the best rushing attack ever in GB. They get that score and it's a knock-out punch, no way eagles come back from that big a deficit. And yet we watched McCarthy do the opposite, he doesn't go for it on any of the goal line situations in the first half and just settles for FGs. Funny how both approached the situation and chose opposite decisions, and both ended up being wrong. Of course other horrible ridiculous bad things happened late, but those situations in the first half did end up hurting them.

Sherman also points out the Freeman OT play as one of his favorites. It's pretty cool is kids still say "They are from Green Bay."

The article didn't talk about it, but my one of my favorite moments was when he called the stinking pile of Warren Crap, "chicken ****." :lol: I liked that he had Cliffy's back.

One other tidbit from the article I thought was interesting is him losing his right hand man, Hatley, who died of a heart attack, seems like that overwhelmed Sherman in his GM role. I remember reading about it, but didn't know much about it's impact, I think it had a bigger impact then we knew.

Overall I thought it was a fun read.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,511

Re: Mike Sherman in Town - Interview 

Post#2 » by Frank Nova » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:38 pm

Sherman the anything is terrible.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#3 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:37 pm

Random Factoid of the Day: One of my best friends from law school has the exact same name as Sherman. Michael Francis Sherman.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#4 » by Flames24Rulz » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:54 pm

I liked him as a coach but he was such an awful GM. Seemed like a really likable guy too.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,321

Post#5 » by th87 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:09 pm

The Packers were very good and on an upward trajectory until Hatley's death. Sherman was a good coach, but it all fell apart on one play. Weird how that is.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,109

Post#6 » by LittleRooster » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:27 am

Flames24Rulz wrote:I liked him as a coach but he was such an awful GM. Seemed like a really likable guy too.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,283

Post#7 » by trwi7 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:38 am

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Random Factoid of the Day: One of my best friends from law school has the exact same name as Sherman. Michael Francis Sherman.

What a bitch ass middle name.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#8 » by Aaron It Out » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:35 am

I loved when he freaked out at Warren Sapp. I hated how I knew how the first 3 and out was going to go down every single game.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#9 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:29 pm

I thought he was an above average head coach, but ultimately a poor GM. And I think the GM made the players kind of divide. There were the known battles with Javon Walker, Mike McKenzie.

4th and 26 is probably his legacy. But I in my opinion the game was lost when they punted on 4th & 1 to seal the game with arguably the best OL and RB in the game at that time. I believe they were 100% in "and 1" situations that year.

Seemed like a good guy. I remember his daughter went to MU around the time I did and was the sports editor (or writer) for the MU paper but got suspended for plagairising. It was a tough few years for the Shermans.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Re: Re: Mike Sherman in Town - Interview 

Post#10 » by HKPackFan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:52 am

Thunder Muscle wrote:I thought he was an above average head coach, but ultimately a poor GM. And I think the GM made the players kind of divide. There were the known battles with Javon Walker, Mike McKenzie.

4th and 26 is probably his legacy. But I in my opinion the game was lost when they punted on 4th & 1 to seal the game with arguably the best OL and RB in the game at that time. I believe they were 100% in "and 1" situations that year.

Seemed like a good guy. I remember his daughter went to MU around the time I did and was the sports editor (or writer) for the MU paper but got suspended for plagairising. It was a tough few years for the Shermans.

He was except for in the first half of that game at the goal. The guard forgot which one but totally whiffed on his guy and green got tackled. It was like the first time we missed a 4th and 1. I think that made him gunshy to try it again and he punted.

I agreed with his decision to go fir it in the first half and would have agreed to go for it again. To punt was the wrong call and it sounded like it still haunts him.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,270

Post#11 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Oct 1, 2015 10:21 pm

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/09/29/nfl-mike-sherman-nauset-high-school-cape-cod

Never was a big fan of sherman, but another interesting update on his life. Also has a paragraph about how he helped shape lambeau during the renovations.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#12 » by LikeABosh » Thu Oct 1, 2015 10:42 pm

I'm a young lad so I pretty much grew up on the Sherman era Packers. The first game I ever remember watching was Favre's 6 int game vs the Rams. Ouch
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,168

Post#13 » by Iheartfootball » Sat Oct 3, 2015 3:42 pm

Remember when dual coach/GM was all the rage? I'm glad that died out.

Sherman was/is a good coach. Wasn't so good at talent evaluation. But 4th and 26 will haunt me forever. For that I cannot forgive him. Heat check...yep, still upset about that one.

Return to Green Bay Packers