2015 Badger Football

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,777

2015 Badger Football 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 9, 2015 12:11 pm

Now that spring practice is going there are some tidbits. Hornibrook enrolled early and has looked good.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/ ... 46501.html

Sensing that too many of his players weren't executing at the level he expects, Wisconsin head coach Paul Chryst delivered a stern and passionate post-practice speech.

"Nothing just happens," he said Wednesday night on the slick Camp Randall Stadium turf. "There has been a great tradition of winning teams.... You don't put the 'W' on and win. You've got to go earn it. It doesn't just happen. You've got to make it happen.

"What are you going to do with that opportunity? You create that opportunity. Go take it. Go make it.

"You've got to jump in. We don't have everyone jumping in, in my opinion."

Chryst's comments came after UW's seventh practice of the spring but the team's first since March 27 before the players went on break.

"I thought we had some guys really good," Chryst told reporters after practice. "And then I thought we had some... they've got to keep growing. It's that old adage — you get better or you get worse. I think it is real.

"You get a limited number of opportunities to work on the field and I just wanted to make sure everyone takes advantage of that."

One player who appears to be taking advantage of his chances is freshman quarterback Alex Hornibrook, one of several players who enrolled at UW in January.

Hornibrook, a 6-foot-4, 215-pound lefty from West Chester, Pa., displayed strength, touch and accuracy during seven-on-seven work Wednesday.

Perhaps most telling is that Hornibrook appeared comfortable making his reads.

"You talk about opportunities," Chryst said. "I think he has earned the right for some. He has done a nice job of learning what to do... and that's a pretty significant transition and I think he has handled that."

A player who will be given every opportunity to contribute in 2015 is Tanner McEvoy.

McEvoy, who will be a redshirt senior, is working with the No. 1 defense at safety and appears set to get work at wide receiver, too.

He ran routes and caught passes from Joel Stave after practice Wednesday and caught the ball effortlessly.

McEvoy showed last season in his five-game stint at quarterback he is a dangerous runner and it is clear the new staff wants to get the ball in his hands.

"Tanner is a heck of an athlete, a football player," Chryst said. "Any time you're putting together your team you want to take advantage of guys' abilities and play their strengths.

"I think he is really talented."

Depth chart: The No. 1 offensive line featured Dan Voltzat center, Ray Ballat left guard and MichaelDeiter at right guard, Tyler Marzat left tackle and Hayden Biegelat right tackle.

The No. 2 line had George Panosat center, Walker Williamsat left guard, freshman Jon Dietzenat right guard, Jacob Maxwellat left tackle and BeauBenzschawel at right tackle.

Extra points: Kicker Rafael Gaglianone (back) is not expected to practice this spring....

Reserve offensive lineman Aidan McNamara, who suffered a serious injury to his left foot during practice in November, is still wearing a walking boot....

Cornerback Sojourn Shelton, whose play last season was uneven, made several aggressive plays on the ball and looked confident....

Natrell Jamerson, who was a wide receiver last season, has been moved to cornerback and is getting work at nickel back along with Derrick Tindal.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,236

Re: 2015 Badger Football 

Post#2 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:09 am

Glad to head McEvoy is back at safety and experimenting at WR. We really need as many receiving weapons as possible, and he played great at safety.
Do it for Chuck
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#3 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:12 pm

What are the expectations for Badger football this year? Better than last year? Worse than last year? About the same? I really haven't heard much about them since Chryst took over.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,789

Post#4 » by Turk Nowitzki » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:18 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:What are the expectations for Badger football this year? Better than last year? Worse than last year? About the same? I really haven't heard much about them since Chryst took over.

I would say about the same. The Big Ten West is just so bad that we can't help but be favorites. Winning that division and getting murdered by Ohio St. in the title game again seems like a safe bet.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,114

Post#5 » by KidA24 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:46 pm

Fat kicker hurt his back? Is he too fat? Man, I love that guy.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,253

Post#6 » by Mags FTW » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:51 am

Do we have someone that can throw a pass yet?
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,565

Post#7 » by TroyD92 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:13 pm

Probably the most down I've been on UW since the season where they should have lost to that D3 school. Last year I think I watched two games and I'll probably only watch the Alabama game this year.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,141
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#8 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:11 pm

TroyD92 wrote:Probably the most down I've been on UW since the season where they should have lost to that D3 school. Last year I think I watched two games and I'll probably only watch the Alabama game this year.

The ceiling isn't incredibly high, but with the schedule they have, they could likely go 10-2 or even 11-1.

That said, there is risk of a lesser record...not counting on it, though.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,565

Post#9 » by TroyD92 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:Probably the most down I've been on UW since the season where they should have lost to that D3 school. Last year I think I watched two games and I'll probably only watch the Alabama game this year.

The ceiling isn't incredibly high, but with the schedule they have, they could likely go 10-2 or even 11-1.

That said, there is risk of a lesser record...not counting on it, though.

Yeah I understand how awful the B10 West is, but still. All of those years of heart break caught up with me last year I think.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#10 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:04 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Evan_Flood/status/591327484840284161[/tweet] 8-)
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,781

Post#11 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:23 pm

High-end expectations are kind of limited without Melvin Gordon. Hell, he won us 3-4 games by himself last year and there are a lot of unknowns to put us as favorites. He was one of the few brightspots. We were below average QB, WR, and TE.
sidney moncrief
Junior
And1: 186

Post#12 » by sidney moncrief » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:55 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/Evan_Flood/status/591327484840284161[/tweet] 8-)

That's what happens when Ohio State and Michigan are on the schedule. What the hell is Rutgers doing on that primetime lineup?? I know it's against OSU but still.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,918

Post#13 » by midranger » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:31 pm

QBs and WRs didn't look terrible in the Spring Game. At least when the QBs were upright.... 2nd RB will be a fun battle between Taiwan and Dare, and maybe the incoming freshman. OL is a work in progress. Front seven defensively looks athletic and disruptive. Lacking a bit in heft. Defensive back field will be okay.

Overall, I'm pretty encouraged by whet we saw.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,141
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#14 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:20 pm

I was pleasantly surprised by some things in the Spring Game as well (obviously you have to take all of that stuff with a grain of salt). I still feel like Dare is a garbage-time RB but so far Deal was the only young guy that's had a chance to prove anything and he looked decent but didn't upstage Dare necessarily. We'll see what the new guys bring.

Wheelwright seems like he might be an above-garbage-level WR, which is a positive at this point.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#15 » by Bernman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:36 pm

I think the talent is there, it'll mostly be a matter of utilizing it correctly, and staying healthy at the right positions.

I have faith in Chryst that we'll see a much improved Stave ala 2012 pre-Ludwig, and it'll all of a sudden look like we have a competent receiving corps between Erickson, Wheelwright, McEvoy, Sanders, and Rushing. Traylor is listed as the starter at TE, though. That must stop. He's got poor range and terrible hands. Fumagalli looked like the deal there. Hopefully he starts. The RB's should be solid between Clement, Deal, Dare, and Stevenson.

Also have some faith in Aranda that he'll get a lot of the defensive players, although I question if 3-4 is a fit for a potential stud like James. I think he'd be a good edge rusher. Keefer belongs in space too, but we fattened him up. Goldberg probably belongs as a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT, and we had been using him as an NT (but now we're at least trying him at 3-4 DE). But Aranda is creative, and you look throughout the d and I think there are a lot of potential playmakers like Obasih, James, Sheehy, Biegel, Schobert, Cichy, Jacobs, Edwards, Shelton, Hillary, Caputo, McEvoy, Figaro, Bondoc, etc. There is a lot of in-state talent there (which I love) and very few holes.

But I don't think we can get injured at a few positions, namely QB, OL, and MLB. We didn't see our A OL out there on Saturday, but I think we do see a sub-standard OL regardless, which is the norm when we have so few in-state kids there. But there are a few plus guys for a Big Ten team so I still think it's better than most.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,654

Post#16 » by ReasonablySober » Fri May 22, 2015 11:41 pm

Kafentzis quit the team and is transferring. Awesome.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,236

Post#17 » by jakecronus8 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:13 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Kafentzis quit the team and is transferring. Awesome.

My guess would be he was told he'd be redshirted and threw a hissy fit. Whatever.
Do it for Chuck
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,283

Post#18 » by trwi7 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:38 am

Potrykus is saying it's because he was 5th on the depth chart and they weren't sure he was even going to stay at QB.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#19 » by Bernman » Sat May 23, 2015 12:42 am

He couldn't have thought coming in he'd start or play a significant role off the bat. He's a quarterback. Jameis Winston and Andrew Luck redshirted for example. You don't get better for QB's than that.

My guess would be that he felt Chryst was showing favoritism toward Hornibrook because that was his guy and theoretically he fits the system better.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,654

Post#20 » by ReasonablySober » Sat May 23, 2015 12:45 am

Bernman wrote:He couldn't have thought coming in he'd start or play a significant role off the bat. He's a quarterback. Jameis Winston and Andrew Luck redshirted for example. You don't get better for QB's than that.

My guess would be that he felt Chryst was showing favoritism toward Hornibrook because that was his guy and theoretically he fits the system better.

Twitter grumblings seem to indicate he thought he'd be #1 on the depth chart when he got to campus and he's leaving because that wasn't the case. I don't know if that's true or not, but based on the off-putting interviews I heard from his dad, I probably believe it.

Return to Green Bay Packers