ImageImage

2015 Badger Football

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Re: 2015 Badger Football 

Post#61 » by Bernman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:22 am

The momentum continues as it appears that high 4-star (out of high school) WR Jamil Kamara has transferred to the Badgers. Kamara played sparingly as a true frosh for Virginia. But the upside of that is there was no harm to him as he can use this season effectively as a redshirt year and be eligible to play 3 more seasons starting in 2016 all the same.

I also really like the LB's they've secured, namely Burks and Grady. Burks is a good athlete who is versatile and can either drop back in coverage or rush the passer effectively. Grady is a downhill linebacker who can read plays and shed blockers to make the tackle. They complement each other well going forward.

I like Currens as a free safety in coverage. Excellent anticipation and ball skills. Just gotta get stronger to hold up making tackles when need be. Watts complements him as a box safety.

It was always too early to call about Chryst's recruiting prowess. Theoretically he's not toolsy because of his personality, but he didn't have much chance to produce by June of his first class. That's not atypical to only have a few commits before camp to the start of it, and them not be heavily recruited up until that point. And he was always going to have an advantage over previous couple of coaches as a strategist on and off the field. He's smarter than them and he knows the circumstances. Anderson and Ludwig didn't have much of a clue. I just hope we can flip Bredeson now that he can be a follower instead of a leader. The in-state OL are really the foundation for the program.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,919

Post#62 » by midranger » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:59 am

Don't know how to feel about Kamara. Ranked fairly high coming in, but immediately buried behind two other young WRs, seemingly thought he little chance of ever playing. Kafentzis like situation. That said, we need to take fliers on WRs, because we haven't had a good one come in in some time.

Sounds like Steveson did not clear admissions (maybe NCAA rather than UW). That is a huge bummer.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,141
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#63 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:13 pm

Bern, you calling this Kamara thing official? I mean, everyone is saying it's pretty much a lock, but he hasn't announced it officially yet. Visiting today so maybe today is when he will officially say it.

Bredeson is not going to flip. That sucks, but the silver lining is that he seems to be more of a guard...so maybe not AS valuable of a loss.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,869

Post#64 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:24 pm

midranger wrote:Sounds like Steveson did not clear admissions (maybe NCAA rather than UW). That is a huge bummer.

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=45&post_id=53231

MADISON - The University of Wisconsin is expected to have the services of their top rated recruit this season but he won’t be around for the summer.

Like most schools around the country, UW’s incoming freshmen arrive on campus in early June, begin classes and take part in summer conditioning. All of the new Badgers that signed in February were present and accounted for at the start of last week except for running back Jordan Stevenson. And that won’t change – at least until fall.

“He’s not enrolled for the summer but we expect him to be with us for fall camp,” UW head coach Paul Chryst said in an email through UW’s athletic communications office.

247Sports has reported the delay in the Badgers knowing Stevenson's exact status is related to academics.

Until Stevenson is enrolled he can’t work out with the rest of the team.

Not taking summer classes but being able to join the team for fall camp is rare but not unprecedented. In 2007, another UW running back, John Clay, had to take care of some academic issues in the summer before arriving a few days into fall camp.

A four-star recruit out of Texas, Stevenson ran for a combined 4,550 yards in his junior and senior seasons and scored 53 total touchdowns.

Before he left for Georgia, former UW running backs coach Thomas Brown was extremely high on Stevenson’s chances to be an impact player. He called him the fastest running back Wisconsin has had since Michael Bennett (1998-2000) and felt he could help them in the return game right away.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,779

Post#65 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:22 pm

At least there is some hope for Stevenson
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#66 » by Bernman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:15 pm

Worgull implied he gave a silent. Practically as good as an article about a commitment, although making it known publicly puts more pressure on a player to stand by his word.

Sucks to hear about Stevenson. He was my favorite recruit of the class by far. So was Clay in '07. But he still played eventually, and it sounds like Stevenson probably will as well. The thing about Clay though is we had to wait longer and it probably derailed his career plus legacy somewhat. If he didn't start behind the 8 ball we probably would have gotten 1 more B1GOPOY season before he got really fat. Stevenson may have been the most college ready player from this class, but now that he can't practice, who knows.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#67 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:06 pm

That's a pretty interesting/good take there. I had always thought Clay was never released early in his career because of some stupid seniority idea of PJ Hill, who was nothing more than "a guy" but you might be on to something there that since Clay didn't get acclimated early, he didn't get as many chances as a freshman.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

2015 Badger Football 

Post#68 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:58 pm

Watts decommitted. Fun while it lasted.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#69 » by Bernman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:35 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:Watts decommitted. Fun while it lasted.

That was more a recruiting win than a scouting one. I actually didn't think he looked that good. He was a box safety who was low on coverage ability and had near maxed out potential physically. Still nice to beat all those schools, but at the end of the day I didn't foresee a impact with the Badgers.

This kid they just got, the DE Keldric Preston, he's not quite as ballyhooed, but he had a pretty strong offer list in his own right (Miami, PSU), and he looks the part more. He is pretty built, but has the frame to add more weight, plays low to the ground, uses his hands well to shuck blockers, and can close distance quickly. Another good out of state get for that front 7 to go along with Grady and Burks.

Turns out there was a jumping of the gun on Kamara because he wanted to come to Wisconsin, and they wanted him, but once again academic standards got into the way.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,109

2015 Badger Football 

Post#70 » by LittleRooster » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:28 am

JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,457

Post#71 » by JayMKE » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:24 am

Is Wisconsin an Ivy League school? Its unbelievable the amount of guys they lose because they can't be admitted and it seems like its getting worse.
FREE GIANNIS
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,168

Post#72 » by Iheartfootball » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:42 pm

Give them some credit. Did you read his tweet? With all 'DO' respect. Come on. He's not helping himself.
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#73 » by ak7 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:43 pm

LittleRooster wrote:http://www.scout.com/college/wisconsin/story/1566321-stevenson-denied-admissions#.VbGtevBiZV8.twitter

Not happy right now

Alabama is now going after him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/104073/help-wanted-alabama-goes-after-former-wisconsin-rb-signee
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#74 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:04 pm

So Nebraska snagged Stevenson.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,619

Post#75 » by StickeeFingaz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:58 pm

Apparently Clement apologized for a tweet he sent and then deleted. From reading the comments on the apology, he said going from Wisconsin to Nebraska is like going from an iPhone to a flip phone. LMAO.
#FreeChuckDiesel
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,919

Post#76 » by midranger » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:18 pm

So Barry has finally called out the admissions process. We're on head coach number 3 since it changed.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#77 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:57 pm

Looks like you guys got a big time linebacker transfer?
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#78 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:45 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Looks like you guys got a big time linebacker transfer?

I don't know too much, but he didn't have sparkling numbers last year at Clemson when I saw the tweet. They are very thin at ILB so will need him...former 4-star guy that went Oklahoma then Clemson. Didn't seem like he did a ton, but the benefit is that he can play right away.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,779

Post#79 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:09 pm

Well at least it looks like we are going back to the old rules

Although Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez says that a change five years ago in the appeals process for prospective UW athletes has not hurt the Badgers' ability to compete athletically, school officials are working to return to the previous process.

According to Alvarez, who spoke to reporters Thursday at the Big Ten preseason football meetings:

Before the change, if recruits were denied admission to UW, coaches could appeal to the individual college at UW.

"You had coaches who knew student-athletes and recruited them and had been through the screening process," Alvarez said. "They've done the screening. That is what we try to emphasize.

"Our coaches understand the profile of our incoming student-athletes ...And they feel that certain people will have success or have a chance for success.

"And they can present that case because they know they have researched these individuals."

The change, which coincided with the hiring in May 2010 of Adele Brumfield as UW's director of undergraduate admissions and recruitment, meant that all appeals were handled first by UW's Admissions Department.

"Now, when it goes to Admissions," Alvarez said, "they don't talk to the coaches. They look at scores. They look at numbers. They look at whatever they see...

"We're discussing with our administration going back to the way we did it, where we take our appeals to the individual colleges rather than through Admissions first.

"Hopefully we can have this in place by next year."

Several high-profile football recruits in the 2014 and '15 cycles were not admitted to UW.

The latest, Dallas tailback Jordan Stevenson, announced via Twitter on Thursday he has been admitted to Nebraska and will play this season. UW, coincidentally, plays at Nebraska on Oct. 10.

"I feel bad," Chryst said. "The kid did everything we asked him to do. I feel for him and the time of the announcement...

"Certainly you want Jordan to land at a good place. I wasn't involved with recruiting Jordan as long as some others...But I enjoyed getting to know who Jordan was and understanding his story...

"There is a big part of me that is really happy that he is at a good place. Then there is another part of me that — I know what kind of player he is. That is going to present challenges. Bottom line is that I'm glad he ended up in a good spot."

Chryst agreed with Alvarez that coaches who recruit the athletes should be able to share their opinions during the appeal.

"No one has got more of a vested interest in our student-athletes that we're recruiting to succeed than us," he said. "We know these kids.

"And I know and love and appreciate and respect this university. I'm not going to put the university in a bind."

Asked if the change in the appeals process had hurt UW's ability to compete in the Big Ten and nationally, Alvarez smiled. He then noted UW made it to the Final Four in each of the last two seasons under Bo Ryan and that UW has competed in three of the first four Big Ten football title games.

The Badgers are picked to win the Big Ten West Division again this season.

So why change back?

"I think it is only fair to our coaches and some student-athletes and our coaches that their stories should be heard," Alvarez said.

Chryst said UW can sign enough quality athletes to remain competitive.

"All recruiting is is about finding the fit," he said. "And there's enough players that Wisconsin is a great fit for. That is our job to go recruit them and get them to campus and once they get to campus make them the best players they can be...

"I just think that the thing that has been good about this is that it is bringing up some discussions that we will have.

"How can we learn from this? That is the bottom line. How can we be better as a university and a football program?"
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#80 » by Bernman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:59 am

Making the transition from quarterback and safety, senior Tanner McEvoy shined at wide receiver, where he spent the entire practice. McEvoy caught a 73-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Joel Stave in 7-on-7. The junior college transfer, who will start at safety in 2015, also hauled in a 40-yard and 15-yard reception from Stave as well.

"I think he's a big body that can run and has really good hands," said Chryst. "I think he's got a good football IQ. In the spring, he did a ton of safety work and I think he feels comfortable there. There's some details at the wide out spot he's got to get. We think he can help us on both."

Source: 247 Sports

Man, it's bittersweet. I think the passing game would have looked so much different the past couple of years if McEvoy wasn't messing around at QB and S. I really hope he doesn't mess around much at S this year too. Keep him primarily or even exclusively at WR. Figaro started last year and should be able to handle the FS spot unless he gets injured. Whoever mans that position projects to have help from a plus pass rush anyway.

Return to Green Bay Packers