ImageImage

Pick 1 - Damarious Randall - S

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Re: Pick 1 - Damarious Randall - S 

Post#121 » by wichmae » Fri May 1, 2015 2:00 pm

I'm just saying let's wait until we see him on the field before making sweeping judgments. ASU coach even was quoted saying he could have played anywhere but played where they needed him most. If he busts he busts. If he can only slot so be it. I'm not (and I hope most arent) determining end all be all on day one.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#122 » by msiris » Fri May 1, 2015 2:03 pm

Another reason I really don't care for the pick is that there is good depth at CB position in the draft. We could have got good value in the 2nd round at the CB position. Depth at ILB will be pretty thin by the time we pick. Hope we move up.
Ride the tank
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#123 » by Jollay » Fri May 1, 2015 2:04 pm

Not saying 5'10"-5'11" is too small. Simply saying there are other guys I would have picked, and some are taller. That's all.

If we're going semi-project, measurables come into play more in my mind. Plus, if you're going hybrid safety-corner type, height comes into play slightly more as well.

Believe me, I'm more nervous that directly after the season most scouts I read had him in the 4th-6th round.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#124 » by xTitan » Fri May 1, 2015 2:08 pm

wichmae wrote:I'm just saying let's wait until we see him on the field before making sweeping judgments. ASU coach even was quoted saying he could have played anywhere but played where they needed him most. If he busts he busts. If he can only slot so be it. I'm not (and I hope most arent) determining end all be all on day one.

This is a fan forum where we come to share opinions about the draft, kind of the point about why people post here. I also don't here anyone going over board, calling this guy a bust, some of us just don't love the pick at this point.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,733

Post#125 » by DanoMac » Fri May 1, 2015 2:08 pm

Some of the comments in this thread make my head hurt. If he simply had "CB" next to his name when he was drafted, all the people hating this pick would love it. If you can cover, you can play in the NFL.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#126 » by wichmae » Fri May 1, 2015 2:14 pm

xTitan wrote:
wichmae wrote:I'm just saying let's wait until we see him on the field before making sweeping judgments. ASU coach even was quoted saying he could have played anywhere but played where they needed him most. If he busts he busts. If he can only slot so be it. I'm not (and I hope most arent) determining end all be all on day one.

This is a fan forum where we come to share opinions about the draft, kind of the point about why people post here. I also don't here anyone going over board, calling this guy a bust, some of us just don't love the pick at this point.

And I'm sharing my opinion. I just was saying be cautionary saying someone is something at best. Youre rather defensive. So also came very close to saying this was a bust pick. no necessarily you in that regard.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#127 » by wichmae » Fri May 1, 2015 2:15 pm

DanoMac wrote:Some of the comments in this thread make my head hurt. If he simply had "CB" next to his name when he was drafted, all the people hating this pick would love it. If you can cover, you can play in the NFL.

Agreed. Wilde hit it on the head last night about players getting drafted to teams they weren't mocked too. Saying because of that people tend to not like those picks
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,169
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#128 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri May 1, 2015 2:17 pm

xTitan wrote:

My question is whether or not you've ever had a positive take on any sports related happening in Wisconsin before it happened?
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#129 » by xTitan » Fri May 1, 2015 2:17 pm

wichmae wrote:
xTitan wrote:

And I'm sharing my opinion. I just was saying be cautionary saying someone is something at best. Youre rather defensive. So also came very close to saying this was a bust pick. no necessarily you in that regard.

Never said bust pick, who knows he could end up being safety once Burnett moves on. I am just very skeptical about a guy who played safety in college moving to corner in the NFL, I hope he does better at changing positions than Nick Perry has.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#130 » by Jollay » Fri May 1, 2015 2:18 pm

"Undersized and lacks ideal strength and bulk for the safety position. Willing tackler, but too often needs help to finish stops and can be taken for a ride. Too many ankle-biting tackle attempts. Overaggressive, leading to wasted steps and motion. Will get fooled by play fakes due to his over-aggressive nature. Needs to stay patient in his pedal and often bites too early, which will lead to disaster when lined up in man coverage. Still very unpolished with the technical side of the game."

Projected Pick--6th round (Lindy's March 2015)

This is just one thing I read like this...read a lot similar. Change the dynamic to corner and it's slightly different but...

We drafted an unpolished guy with less raw measurables than some other guys, who probably will only really help on Special Teams mostly initially. He isn't going to play much man, but that's okay with Capers' zone blitz scheme, but he's also a guy that is prone to ankle tackle and get beat on fakes deep. Which is kind of scary if he's the nickel guy or anything else in our system.

He is also a guy that might take a few to the house the other way, which is nice, but this pick makes me nervous.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#131 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri May 1, 2015 2:21 pm

Jollay wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
You're talking about safeties though, aren't you? Yeah, plenty of 6'2" safeties but the list of corners over 6'0" is Sherman and Browner, no?

I'm assuming you mean Landon Collins at 6'2"?

I'm not really sure about the pick, I'm just here to reply to the hot takes that 2 or 3 people had that a 5'11" corner is overly small to draft and can't cover the big WRs of the North like the 5'11" gigantic Tramon Williams did.

Bern summed it up nicely in his post. Almost every corner in the league is 5'11" or shorter. A few are 6' and 6'1" or taller is a unicorn.

Hayden is 5'11"
Verner is 5'11""
Revis is 5'11"

Tillman was 6'2" and I think that Sherman is. Not sure if anyone else is.

As for my take on the pick. He almost looks like he shies away from hitting hard with his shoulder...is it due to his injury? If he was projected to be a mid first by some I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because corner was a need.

Height isn't a deal-breaker by any means, but it is a factor when you're taking a bit of a hybrid project. I mean Jalen Collins, who is 6'2". He is raw, but excels at man coverage.

Randall is a bit of a project and may not project as a starter ever, but at best a nickel back. If you're going to go raw, which in the first place I don't necessarily endorse for a team pretty close to the Super Bowl and relying entirely on the draft, I think it may have better to go with one of the guys that had better measurables that project purely at corner.

As I said, Collins, Williams, Carter are all at least an inch taller. And I forgot Eric Rowe, who is 6-1. Williams seems to be noticeably faster.

Not upset about the pick, but very wary of it.

You're talking about a safety with Collins. They apparently drafted Randall as a corner, and I don't think Collins was being discussed at all as a corner, so...

Yeah, there are some 6'1" guys. A very small few, and many of them have busted over the years. Why didn't the Vikings take Rowe over the tiny 5'11" Trae Waynes?

So you're saying Ted should have drafted Eric Rowe because he's 6'1", but instead, foolishly drafted a guy that local message board man has deemed to be a nickel corner?

"Hey, Ted...we need to do what the fans say and take one of those tall corners since we've been avoiding doing that for so many years and there are so many good ones around the league...plus the Bears now have 2 big WRs unlike last year when they had 2 big WRs."

"Nah, take the guy that projects to be a nickel corner instead. I want them to keep talking about toughness and urgency."
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#132 » by emunney » Fri May 1, 2015 2:32 pm

He definitely looks like a standout all-around athlete to me watching these cut ups. He's one of those guys who times fast and plays faster. Movement skills remind me a lot of Randall Cobb. With our CB depth as it is, he's going to get opportunities this year, and Whitt has done more with less. More than any 1st since, this reminds me of the Matthews pick: late climber, Senior Bowl standout, switching positions, great agility numbers, only above average straight line speed, electric on tape.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#133 » by humanrefutation » Fri May 1, 2015 2:33 pm

trwi7 wrote:
xTitan wrote:AFC scout: "He's a mid-round kind of guy. He's OK. Nothing special."

AFC scout: "There's an outside chance he goes late one."

AFC scout: "He's creeping up there (first round). He's being compared to T.J. Ward."

NFC scout:"Second rounder."

AFC scout: "I'm not crazy about him."

Amazed these scouts don't put their names on these hot takes.

Swear to god, my first thought was "you can tell that these guys don't know anything about him. They're just BSing."
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by Jollay » Fri May 1, 2015 2:38 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
You're talking about a safety with Collins. They apparently drafted Randall as a corner, and I don't think Collins was being discussed at all as a corner, so...

Yeah, there are some 6'1" guys. A very small few, and many of them have busted over the years. Why didn't the Vikings take Rowe over the tiny 5'11" Trae Waynes?

So you're saying Ted should have drafted Eric Rowe because he's 6'1", but instead, foolishly drafted a guy that local message board man has deemed to be a nickel corner?

"Hey, Ted...we need to do what the fans say and take one of those tall corners since we've been avoiding doing that for so many years and there are so many good ones around the league...plus the Bears now have 2 big WRs unlike last year when they had 2 big WRs."

"Nah, take the guy that projects to be a nickel corner instead. I want them to keep talking about toughness and urgency."

Jalen Collins, LSU, not Landon. Once again.

Does this sound like discussing as a corner? (Re JALEN Collins)

“He’s a press corner, not afraid to play man, jumps up in your face, will tackle, understands how to play the game, has some physicality about him,” Mayock said. “I think he’s going to be a first-round pick.”
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#135 » by humanrefutation » Fri May 1, 2015 2:38 pm

I'm going to say - I don't have a strong opinion on the pick one way or another. His lack of tackling ability concerns me (and tackling matters especially for a corner where a missed tackle can turn a 5 yard gain into a 50 yard gain), but his cover skills and speed excite me.

We needed a corner. Looks like he'll play there. So, well, I guess I'm not going to complain one way or another.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#136 » by emunney » Fri May 1, 2015 2:41 pm

I think we put him in the slot. I also think about that slot corner blitz that Capers likes, and he's going to be great at that.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#137 » by Jollay » Fri May 1, 2015 2:41 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:

First of all, I have said literally none of that. I happen to like Rowe slightly better for many reasons, one of them is his height, but not the only one.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#138 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri May 1, 2015 2:44 pm

Jollay wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Jalen Collins, LSU, not Landon. Once again.

Does this sound like discussing as a corner? (Re JALEN Collins)

“He’s a press corner, not afraid to play man, jumps up in your face, will tackle, understands how to play the game, has some physicality about him,” Mayock said. “I think he’s going to be a first-round pick.”

OK, fair enough...my bad. Well, it seems as though Ted rated this corner higher, so we'll have to see where that goes.

However, it seems as though Ted and his staff had this guy ranked higher. And I'll bet you that they don't project him as a nickel corner.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#139 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri May 1, 2015 2:46 pm

Jollay wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

First of all, I have said literally none of that. I happen to like Rowe slightly better for many reasons, one of them is his height, but not the only one.

You jumped on me for commenting to several people that no, it is not easy to find a good corner over 6 feet tall...that was literally all I commented on earlier in the thread but I was positioned as a Ted-lover for doing that. The 2 WR thing was also tied to that, because people are talking down shutting down the Bears big WRs and the need we have for big corners when the situation was 2 big Bears WRs against 2 5'11" corners already the past several years.

You also did project him as a nickel corner.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,961

Post#140 » by ReasonablySober » Fri May 1, 2015 2:52 pm

It doesn't seem like he lacks tackling ability, his issues seem to stem with overaggressiveness and poor angles.

Return to Green Bay Packers