ImageImage

Pick 5 - Brett Hundley - QB

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#41 » by humanrefutation » Sun May 3, 2015 7:50 pm

I like Hundley a lot, but I don't know why people are saying that he's being drafted as Aaron's successor. Aaron is only 31. He's got at least 6 or 7 years left in him, barring injury.

But grooming him into a capable backup before trading him for picks down the road? I could dig it.
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Re: 

Post#42 » by SpursNBucks » Sun May 3, 2015 8:31 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I like Hundley a lot, but I don't know why people are saying that he's being drafted as Aaron's successor. Aaron is only 31. He's got at least 6 or 7 years left in him, barring injury.

But grooming him into a capable backup before trading him for picks down the road? I could dig it.

You never know what could happen - AR could get injured? Decide to quit in a few years? It's just the fact you have something better backing up AR in case he goes down - and that has happened. M3 never had this kind of talent to work with before. It just is going to be interesting to see how he develops. I think you will see him learn and be the #3 this year- next year move to #2 (they will only carry 2 QBs then).

It's possible they could even try some wild cat stuff with Hundley if he looks good. Whatever happens GREAT value in the 5th.

It's been Ted's philosophy not to waste assets on a backup QB - This year he seemed to change that a bit - there was talk he would take the Baylor QB had he been there in the 4th. I like how Wolf would always be working on one or two -Detmer, Brunell, Hasselbeck, Brooks, etc - he usually got assets back that were better then what he paid. It could be that Ted got burned early on a QB Brohm (2nd). Then there was Ingle Martin (5th), then he semi-hit on Flynn (7th), and the BJ Coleman (7th) - of the 4 he drafted after AR - 3 were AWFUL! So he has pretty much went the street free agent route- Harrell, Flynn, Tolzien, = slugs! Finally he gives M3 some talent to work with.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Pick 5 - Brett Hundley - QB 

Post#43 » by Nebula1 » Mon May 4, 2015 1:26 pm

Nice.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#44 » by SpursNBucks » Sun May 10, 2015 6:34 pm

Real good article in Sunday's JS on Hundley -
Called his draft day slide a "blessing in disguise" = right attitude.
I knew he was athletic, but didn't know how strong he was and that he is insanely competitive. Big, fast, and a rocket arm- M3
sounds like a kid in a candy store. This kid is in such a good position- best QB in NFL and probably top 3 QB teacher in NFL to learn from. I'm sure AR wont be a dick to this guy like Favre was to him.

I'm very excited to see him in preseason. I expect some miscues early, but look out in two-three years. I wanted to pick him in the 4th - Ted did an awesome job moving up and giving up so little.

Just looking at CBS Sports- they had him as the 3rd - some had him as #4 to Petty being #3. CBS had him as a 2nd rounder.

* 6th fastest QB at combine (Mariota at 6'4" 222 running 4.43 is absolutely amazing)
*3rd in cone drill
*1st in shuttle - by good margin
*3rd in vertical
*4th in broad jump
*8th in arm length
*2nd hand length- Packers really look at this

He had a ton of big plays with WR Jared Payton - who decided not to enter the draft, look for the Packers to look at him next year he looks real good.

When Sports Science tested him he tested as one of quickest releases and most accurate they ever tested 11/11 on the move. I don't understand why they picked apart his game so much and kind of looked the other way with Winston.

Winston had off-field issues and his stats weren't that great. His combine results weren't good.
40 time - 28th of 45 at combine (4.91 - almost OL speed)
He did do well in cone 6th - Hundley 3rd
6th in shuttle - Hundley 1st
11th on vert - Hundley was 3rd -he did 28.5" Hundley 36" = 7.5" more that is a huge difference.
Hand length - 24th - 9.38 versus Hundley 2nd 10.5

I don't get the fascination with Winston- avg or below athlete off-field issues = what am I missing?
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#45 » by BUCKnation » Sun May 10, 2015 7:53 pm

Winston has hype. I don't get it either.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#46 » by SpursNBucks » Thu May 14, 2015 6:11 am

BUCKnation wrote:Winston has hype. I don't get it either.

The big thing was playing in the pro style offense under Center. Mariota, Petty, and Hundley played that Spread/wide open college style. I'm a little surprised that the Eagles Coach didn't take Hundley.

He also had good pocket awareness, and good feel for the game - anticipation of where the WRs would be when things broke down. He was clutch in a lot of close game.

He sure moved up from where he was in September (The following is from 2 Scouts who covered FSU).

"It'll hurt him significantly," said the area scout, who is assigned to Florida State, per Breer. "Especially with all the stuff going on in the league. This may force him to stay another year to clean up his image. He's a fraud. You can't believe anything he says, because he keeps doing the same things over and over.

Added an AFC college scouting director, "It just adds to his issues, and he's only been in college two years and a month. Lots of maturity issues, but also criminal."

Comments on his play:
Winston’s accuracy still comes and goes, and that happened again on Saturday. He’s going to get a lot of credit for all of the yards he put up, but we have to pay attention to his 3 turnovers in the game, including 2 interceptions and a fumble.

All of his touchdown passes were easy throws, and they’re a lot easier when you have great receivers. Among his 2 touchdowns to Jesus Wilson, Wilson was wide open on both of them and scored on one of them because of his ability to make plays in open space, not because of Jameis’s difficult throws.

Rashad Greene’s touchdown was a bailout catch because Winston actually threw the ball behind him, but he made a great play and the N.C. State defender simply misjudged what should have been an interception.

Big picture, Winston still racks up stats thanks to what are often very easy throws to very good receivers, so there’s not much to be impressed about with him yet.

He has the arm strength, size, intelligence, and mobility when needed, but too often he has trouble hitting people in stride.

This dates back to the national title game, when he gained a lot of credit for putting up a lot of yards on the last drive that really were all easy plays. Anybody can make throws when they’re as protected as Winston, receivers are as open as his receivers are, and they can turn short plays into large gains

“Jaws,” superb NFL analyst and former NFL quarterback Ron Jaworski, was harsh on Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston’s mechanics.

Return to Green Bay Packers