ImageImage

ATL Post draft edition

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Re: ATL Post draft edition 

Post#41 » by jakecronus8 » Fri May 8, 2015 9:35 pm

Number 3 overall pick Dante Fowler tore his ACL at rookie OTAs for the Jaguars. Brutal. My condolences to TheWig
Do it for Chuck
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#42 » by Bernman » Fri May 8, 2015 10:49 pm

Wow, I'm gutted for Fowler and the Jags. Their fans at least have had enough misfortune in recent years. If the NFL doesn't grossly mismanage the La'el Collins situation, both he and the Jags could be made more whole here by allowing them to select Collins in the first or second round of the supplemental draft, like obviously he belonged in. Instead the dude gets bent over for like 85% of his would be salary, for in all likelihood happenstance, and the Jags are left with little extra hope for their near future due to bad luck as well. While the Cowboys are allowed to steal Collins at a bargain basement price, and the rich get richer. <Cue a rant from Ruxin on the league about collusion.> Good job again, NFL.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#43 » by jakecronus8 » Fri May 8, 2015 11:54 pm

The Cowboys will pay for bringing in so many character risk guys.

I used to get down on TT for not taking risks a lot, but the truth is, that's just part of his process. Avoid idiots at all costs, or at least those who appear outwardly idiotic. It's a big piece of the puzzle in sustained success.
Do it for Chuck
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,535

Post#44 » by Profound23 » Sat May 9, 2015 1:17 am

These players shouldn't be playing until their rookie contract is done. I realize the NFL has some rule in place that "forces" teams to negotiate still, but now Jax holds all the cards.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#45 » by wichmae » Sat May 9, 2015 4:39 am

Yeah theyre going to have to look into that during the next CBA. That poor kid is probably screwed..
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Post#46 » by SpursNBucks » Sat May 9, 2015 1:23 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:The Cowboys will pay for bringing in so many character risk guys.

I used to get down on TT for not taking risks a lot, but the truth is, that's just part of his process. Avoid idiots at all costs, or at least those who appear outwardly idiotic. It's a big piece of the puzzle in sustained success.

It's starting to look like Collins is completely innocent. By "SO MANY" = who exactly do you mean? Hardy = he's out till week 12 - I hardly think he will bring down the team, he will probably inject a boost to their pass rush as they get ready for a playoff push. Gregory? To get someone of his caliber in late 2nd - not huge risk, but high reward. I think that was a smart move a rookie who likes weed is hardly going to destroy the atmosphere. Bryant was a bit of a character risk to when he came out- gee that sure bit them in the arse didn't it? ended up with a top 2 WR in the NFL.

Don't hate the Cowboys because they just got a top 10 pick for nothing.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#47 » by Profound23 » Sat May 9, 2015 2:37 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:The Cowboys will pay for bringing in so many character risk guys.

It's starting to look like Collins is completely innocent. By "SO MANY" = who exactly do you mean? Hardy = he's out till week 12 - I hardly think he will bring down the team, he will probably inject a boost to their pass rush as they get ready for a playoff push. Gregory? To get someone of his caliber in late 2nd - not huge risk, but high reward. I think that was a smart move a rookie who likes weed is hardly going to destroy the atmosphere. Bryant was a bit of a character risk to when he came out- gee that sure bit them in the arse didn't it? ended up with a top 2 WR in the NFL.

Don't hate the Cowboys because they just got a top 10 pick for nothing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... y-cleared/

La’el Collins hasn’t been (and may never be) officially cleared

Just because he isn't found guilty, doesn't mean he isn't involved at all. It just means they haven't found any evidence that he isn't involved in the physical part of the murder or the negotiations of it.

Dez Bryant:

Turned himself in after being accused by his mother of hitting her.

and

In a letter dated February 17, the City of Lancaster, Texas police department produced to NFL Media via the Texas Public Information Act an incident/investigation report from July 2011 regarding a police response to the Lancaster Wal-Mart.

The report mentions that an unknown person called the police to explain that a black female was “being dragged from one vehicle to another vehicle” by a black male. The vehicle the woman was dragged from was a Mercedes registered to Dez Bryant.

When a police officer responded, a Wal-Mart security guard explained that he arrived at the scene with the door to the Mercedes still open and a child’s toy on the ground, but that no one was present. Then, two men pulled up in an Escalade registered to Dez Bryant. The two men, Carl King and Christopher Mitchell, said they received a call from the alleged victim, asking them to pick up “her” Mercedes.

Greg Hardy:

On June 15, 2014, Nicole Holder filed for a Domestic Violence Protective Order against Hardy.[21] According to Holder, “On May 13, 2014, Greg Hardy attacked me in his apartment. Hardy picked me up and threw me into the tile tub area in his bathroom. I have bruises from head to toe, including my head, neck, back, shoulders arms, legs, elbow and feet. Hardy pulled me from the tub by my hair, screaming at me that he was going to kill me, break my arms and other threats that I completely believe. He dragged me across the bathroom and out into the bedroom. Hardy choked me with both hands around my throat while I was lying on the floor. Hardy picked me up over his head and threw me onto a couch covered in assault rifles and/or shotguns. I landed on those weapons. Hardy bragged that all of those assault rifles were loaded. Landing on those weapons bruised [my] neck and back. Greg screamed for his “administrative assistant” (Sammy Curtis) to come into the room and hold me down. Curtis came into the room, grabbed me from behind and held me down. Hardy and Curtis then took me into the living room area. I wasn’t nearly strong or fast enough to escape. I begged them to let me go & I wouldn’t tell anyone what he did. They took me out into the hall, pushed me down & went back inside his apartment. I crawled to the elevator and ran into CMPD". (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department
)

Rolando McClain:

On December 1, 2011, McClain was arrested by Decatur police and charged with third-degree assault, menacing, reckless endangerment, and discharging a firearm inside the city limits, all of which are misdemeanors, for a shooting incident that occurred the night before.[35][36] On May 17, 2012, McClain was found guilty on all counts, ordered to pay a $500 fine for each charge, totaling $2,000, and sentenced to spend 45 days in jail for each charge, 180 in total. He was freed on bond, and will begin serving his sentence on June 1.

Joseph Randle:

Accused of shoplifting at store in Frisco, Texas, after allegedly being caught in the act on video.

Josh Brent:

Charged with intoxication manslaughter after flipping his car, killing teammate Jerry Brown. Police report blood-alcohol content at .189

and not too long after that Jay Ratliff:

Accused of drunken driving after crashing his Ford pickup truck into an 18-wheeler.

I won't even get into the drugs arrests or positive testings because that is every team, but they have many more than most.

After a while "win at all costs" becomes a little over the top. The Patriots had Aaron Hernandez and many stuck up for their drafting of him because he was never found guilty of the 2007 murders. Again, it didn't mean he was innocent, it meant they didn't have enough evidence.
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Post#48 » by SpursNBucks » Sun May 10, 2015 4:22 pm

First of all it's wrong to assume Collins is in any way involved - which is what your doing. Innocent until proven guilty- haven't you heard that. It's starting to look more like he may have gotten F'd! Don't hate the Cowboys because their OL is even better now.

Do you really think the Packers have all choir boys now and over the years??

Packers defensive tackle Letroy Guion was arrested for felony possession of marijuana and felony possession of a firearm in his hometown of Starke, Florida, according to a police report. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12278 ... possession

Green Bay Packers defensive back Jarrett Bush was arrested on suspicion of public intoxication after a disturbance outside of a downtown Vacaville restaurant early Sunday morning, Vacaville city spokesman Mark Mazzaferro said.http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts ... toxication

Full Name: Tavarus Travon Dantzler
Date:09/20/2009Time: 3:36 AM
Total Bond: $13500
Charges:
Seq No. Charge Charge Type Disposition
1 ASSAULT/AGG/FIREARM FELONY NOLLE PROS
2 CONCEALED F/A /CARRY FELONY NOLLE PROS
3 RESIST OFF W/O VIOL MISDEMEANOR NOLLE PROS

The NFL suspended Jolly “indefinitely without pay” on Friday for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy, the league announced. THEY TOOK HIM BACK! Packers general manager Ted Thompson said in a statement issued by the team that Jolly “is a good player that loves everything about the game of football. Jolly “bought, sold, funded, transported and aided in the buying, selling, funding and transportation of illegal narcotics including cocaine and marijuana" in Harris County from 2006 through May 2008. http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/mor ... tem_id=735

Neal- was suspended four games this spring by the NFL for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing drugs. Hargrove was suspended eight games for his part in the New Orleans Saints' "bountygate" scandal in 2009.

Eric Walden - Description: Jailed after complaint of felony assault against live-in girlfriend.
Outcome: Diversion program, counseling, 50 hours community service. NFL suspended him one game.

Brian Underwood - Description: Accused of pushing wife to the ground and ripping necklace from her neck in Green Bay.
Outcome: Pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct, $767.50 in fines. NFl suspended two games

I could go on and on over the years - Barnett - battery (Packers kept him) Ahman Green = Beat the hell out of his wife- (Packers kept). Do you remember Davenport- how he broke into a girls dorm room and took a crap in her laundry basket- + other intoxication charges during his time at Miami - didn't stop the Pack from calling his name early in the Draft.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#49 » by Profound23 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:14 pm

I understand your point of view. I said throw the drugs out of the window because that is everywhere. Then you look at players like Walden, Underwood, and Barnett. These guys were not offered new contracts after the incidents came out.

Najeh pooped in someone's closet? That's the best you can do?

Ahman Green, that is true. I am not saying the Packers or any team in the league is clean of felons, child-abusers, or wife-beaters. My point is the Cowboys seem to be seeking them out. I didn't assume anything that was a story by a lawyer who said he may not ever be officially cleared.

Even if he is innocent, you have a guy who on camera yanked his pregnant girlfriend out of his truck, a guy who shot his gun off around a crowd of people, and did you read the story on Greg Hardy? WOW! All of that after a dude killed a teammate drinking and driving.

I didn't know that about Dantzler. I was rooting for him, now not so much.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,525

Post#50 » by th87 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:58 pm

So where is this Dez Bryant Wal-Mart video that was supposed to ruin the universe?
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,002

Post#51 » by humanrefutation » Mon May 11, 2015 9:43 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/597877080894918658[/tweet]

Schefter: Filed to ESPN: Tom Brady suspended four games, Pats lose 1st round pick in 2016 and a 4th in 2017, and team fined $1 million, per source.

Much harsher than I thought it was going to be.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,044

Post#52 » by paulpressey25 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:43 pm

Seems like a perfect punishment from my vantage point. Brady out a few games and paychecks. Kraft loses $1mm and Belichick loses a first rounder. All three were complicit in this thing.

Hope the sanctions stand on appeal.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#53 » by El Duderino » Mon May 11, 2015 11:10 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Seems like a perfect punishment from my vantage point. Brady out a few games and paychecks. Kraft loses $1mm and Belichick loses a first rounder. All three were complicit in this thing.

Hope the sanctions stand on appeal.

I don't like the Patriots and especially dislike that whole Boston fan base, but this penalty strikes me as excessive. I guess i get a suspension for Brady since he seemed to lie, but i don't see any reason for losing the draft picks, much less a first round pick.

I think this huge penalty was morel about the league appeasing public hate of Brady and NE than it was about what actually happened.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#54 » by trwi7 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:15 pm

Sorry but I think you need more evidence than "It is more probable than not that Tom Brady was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities" to suspend him for a quarter of the season.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 242

Post#55 » by zmanishere11 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:51 pm

trwi7 wrote:Sorry but I think you need more evidence than "It is more probable than not that Tom Brady was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities" to suspend him for a quarter of the season.

I think you would have had the required evidence had Brady actually helped the investigation (which is also the reason he didn't). The nfl saw right through that and dropped the hammer. Good move.

Needed to set an example here and I think they did that.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#56 » by ReasonablySober » Tue May 12, 2015 12:58 am

I hate the Patriots, and I think the penalty is an absolute joke and incredibly excessive.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,173

Post#57 » by raysbookclub » Tue May 12, 2015 1:24 am

I think the two main reasons it was as harsh as it was were that 1, the Patriots have a history and 2, the public/sponsor outcry about it was enough that the NFL had to act.

If you think about what happened to the Saints with the bounty stuff by the defense, this doesn't seem excessive.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#58 » by Profound23 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:42 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I hate the Patriots, and I think the penalty is an absolute joke and incredibly excessive.

I look at it like a parent. When I have evidence and know my children have done something wrong I give them every opportunity to confess. If they do I may punish them for a day or possibly just a good talk it out. If they don't confess and I give them multiple opportunities then I am going to very harsh in my punishment to show them and the other kids, "next time just be honest and don't try to get an attitude like this is my fault." I think the penalty is perfect and should stand.

For those who say the lack of fumbles weren't because of this check this out:

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sp ... _2006.html

Biggest part to me: "But the data show that if a mysterious trade secret were delivered, the players forgot about it when they left New England, as their individual fumble rates became drastically worse when playing for other NFL teams."
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#59 » by Newz » Tue May 12, 2015 12:42 pm

books wrote:If you think about what happened to the Saints with the bounty stuff by the defense, this doesn't seem excessive.

When you look at footballs that aren't inflated all the way vs. guys attempting to purposefully cripple their opponents?

Well I guess when you look at it that way...
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 242

Post#60 » by zmanishere11 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:19 pm

The moral of the story really is, if you make the NFL look bad, they're going to drop the hammer. That's it.

Which (not to get off topic) to me makes the whole Josh Gordon thing so ridiculous. The dude got suspended for most of last season and all of this season for essentially being around some guys smoking weed and having a beer on a flight to Vegas.

That's worse than any other penalty handed out to anyone who cheated, beat their gf, or tried to injury guys on purpose.

I digress....

Return to Green Bay Packers