ImageImage

ATL Post draft edition

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Marley2Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 2,426

Re: ATL Post draft edition 

Post#61 » by Marley2Hendrix » Tue May 12, 2015 1:29 pm

trwi7 wrote:Sorry but I think you need more evidence than "It is more probable than not that Tom Brady was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities" to suspend him for a quarter of the season.

I think this was a them using appropriate legal speak and losing some valence of the actual intent when interpreted by the general public. "More probable than not" likely indicates 95% probability. It's akin to statistics and the probability of the inflation/deflation of the balls occurring by chance. The public may not like that it was "merely" a statistically significant likelihood, but in truth, that is a big deal.
You gotta make it sexy! Hips and nips, otherwise I'm not eating.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,535

Post#62 » by Profound23 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:53 pm

Marley2Hendrix wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Sorry but I think you need more evidence than "It is more probable than not that Tom Brady was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities" to suspend him for a quarter of the season.

I think this was a them using appropriate legal speak and losing some valence of the actual intent when interpreted by the general public. "More probable than not" likely indicates 95% probability. It's akin to statistics and the probability of the inflation/deflation of the balls occurring by chance. The public may not like that it was "merely" a statistically significant likelihood, but in truth, that is a big deal.

Again from a parents standpoint. When I ask my daughter where she has been and she flips out on me like I am in the wrong and ask to see her phone so I can see where she has been but she refuses to give it up, I am going to punish her.

The lawyer has to protect himself by saying more probable than not, but it's obvious Brady is guilty here and his cover up made it worse.
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Post#63 » by SpursNBucks » Tue May 12, 2015 2:48 pm

Profound23 wrote:I understand your point of view. I said throw the drugs out of the window because that is everywhere. Then you look at players like Walden, Underwood, and Barnett. These guys were not offered new contracts after the incidents came out.

Najeh pooped in someone's closet? That's the best you can do?

Ahman Green, that is true. I am not saying the Packers or any team in the league is clean of felons, child-abusers, or wife-beaters. My point is the Cowboys seem to be seeking them out. I didn't assume anything that was a story by a lawyer who said he may not ever be officially cleared.

Even if he is innocent, you have a guy who on camera yanked his pregnant girlfriend out of his truck, a guy who shot his gun off around a crowd of people, and did you read the story on Greg Hardy? WOW! All of that after a dude killed a teammate drinking and driving.

I didn't know that about Dantzler. I was rooting for him, now not so much.

Point is all teams look the other way - sure, some more than others. The Packers brought back Jolly after how many red flags. They couldn't move fast enough to bring in Dantzler who has a long rap sheet. The better the player or rookie with more potential the more they look away. Winston wasn't exactly squeaky clean and he went #1. I would have had a problem with the Rams picking Lawrence Phillups if I was a Rams fan.Where I draw the line is beating on women- really not a fan of that. They looked the other way with Green. In the case of Barnett he had been injured a lot the last three years, was 30, and always played out of position with the Pack at MLB. The other two mentioned above were pretty much useless slugs.

Back to the Cowboys - In the case of Hardy - Jones has taken a lot of crap for that one. Although technically the criminal case went no where - as she took the $ instead and didn't testify. I agreed with the leagues sanctions - may have even been too light. With Bryant - I don't really know what to make of the WalMart thing - sounds like two guys using a vehicle registered to Bryant - not sure what to make of that? Never heard of it before, but don't really look for that stuff normally either.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#64 » by SpursNBucks » Tue May 12, 2015 3:27 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Seems like a perfect punishment from my vantage point. Brady out a few games and paychecks. Kraft loses $1mm and Belichick loses a first rounder. All three were complicit in this thing.

Hope the sanctions stand on appeal.

Agree with this across the board. I admit to not being objective though - I don't like the Pats, Belichick, or Brady. However I do respect them.

What really has to sting is the fact they are probably not going to be very good next year - Garoppolo will be the QB for 4 games. They lost both starting CBs in Browner and Revis. Wilfork is about done, but will miss his leadership.

The Pats had glaring needs at WR and CB = so they didn't draft a CB till round 7 and ignored WR. The division foes all got better in the off-season.

I could see the Pats going 6-10 to 8-8. So that first round pick is a bigger loss than it normally would be for them. I don't know if they updated their odds to win it all because they still have the appeal - even before this I thought the 7-1 odds were way too high. The Packers at 8-1 sounds right.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#65 » by Badgerlander » Wed May 13, 2015 12:24 pm

:lol: :rofl:
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#66 » by El Duderino » Wed May 13, 2015 8:20 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:Seems like a perfect punishment from my vantage point. Brady out a few games and paychecks. Kraft loses $1mm and Belichick loses a first rounder. All three were complicit in this thing.

Hope the sanctions stand on appeal.

Agree with this across the board. I admit to not being objective though - I don't like the Pats, Belichick, or Brady. However I do respect them.

What really has to sting is the fact they are probably not going to be very good next year - Garoppolo will be the QB for 4 games. They lost both starting CBs in Browner and Revis. Wilfork is about done, but will miss his leadership.

The Pats had glaring needs at WR and CB = so they didn't draft a CB till round 7 and ignored WR. The division foes all got better in the off-season.

I could see the Pats going 6-10 to 8-8. So that first round pick is a bigger loss than it normally would be for them. I don't know if they updated their odds to win it all because they still have the appeal - even before this I thought the 7-1 odds were way too high. The Packers at 8-1 sounds right.

The AFC East still lacks quality quarterbacks, so i see the Patriots winning that division. For as good as they've been over a long time, one big advantage they've had is playing in the AFC East.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#67 » by emunney » Wed May 13, 2015 8:44 pm

I think Garoppolo is ready to go and will hold the fort just fine. As far as their little guys, they'll make it work. Every year the Pats are done and every year they win that division. Maybe this is the year Miami or Buffalo break through, but I doubt it.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,044

Post#68 » by paulpressey25 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:16 pm

emunney wrote:I think Garoppolo is ready to go and will hold the fort just fine. As far as their little guys, they'll make it work. Every year the Pats are done and every year they win that division. Maybe this is the year Miami or Buffalo break through, but I doubt it.

In the end, the rest will end up helping Brady providing the Pats can break even at 2-2 in those first four games.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,002

Post#69 » by humanrefutation » Wed May 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Breaking News: Patriots sign undrafted QB Dom Grady out of W. Michigan to play QB in weeks 1-4.

BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,953

Post#70 » by BUCKnation » Wed May 13, 2015 10:34 pm

Pats will probably go 2-2 and not miss a beat. This won't matter in the end. They always seem to start slow anyways.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#71 » by SpursNBucks » Thu May 14, 2015 12:15 am

El Duderino wrote:
The AFC East still lacks quality quarterbacks, so i see the Patriots winning that division. For as good as they've been over a long time, one big advantage they've had is playing in the AFC East.

You're right they have taken advantage of playing in the AFC East. If you read some of what has happened in the off-season/Draft their fans are not happy.

Pats - lose both starting CBs (Revis/Browner) - hurting at CB, WR, and RB. Without Brady for 4 games. They drafted to beef up both line, but failed to really address some key need areas.

Jets - Signed 2 starting CBs -(Revis/Cromartie) and traded for Brandon Marshall. They added to an already strong D-Line with pick #6 Leonard Williams (some thought BPA overall). I like WR Devon Smith a lot (Ohio State). Like the Bryce Petty QB pick, but that will take some time.
QB - Geno Smith improved in his 2nd year, and needs to continue to do so for them to have a chance. He didn't have any decent weapons - they added Marshall and Devon Smith which should help. Lost to the Pats by a combined 3 points in the two games.

Phins- Lost Odrick in FA, but replaced him with much better player Suh. Added Devote Parker -WR #14. Lamar Miller is an underrated RB who ran for over 1k (5.1/avg) also added the kid from Boise State who could be a steal in the 5th. A lot of people called Jordan Phillips the most athletic DT in the Draft (2nd round)
QB- Tannehill has improved every year -his passer rating was 92.8 last year. You added a top pick for him to throw to.

Bills- Added LeSean MeCoy RB, Percy Harvin, and Jerry Huughes OLB/DE. Didn't lose much of anything. They didn't really get what looks like an impact player in the Draft paid a high price (This years 1st) for Watkins - but he looks great. In Harvin, McCoy, and Watkins they have some game changers.
QB- Orton replaced Manuel and did a better job, but it's Kyle Orton.

Pats record against East foes last year was Miami 1-1, Buffalo 1-1, and Jets 2-0 = 2-4 overall. I think the rest of the division got better and they clearly got worse. As mentioned the 2 wins against the Jets were by a combined 3 pts. The other teams continue to get better at WR where the Pats just lost starting CBs.

The AFC East teams have been built with heavy concentration on stopping Brady.
Pack goes 3-1 Against AFC East (all close games)
ARs worst game of year came against the Bills - 34.3 passer rating 0 TDs 3 INTs.
Pack beat the Jets by 7, but AR did get sacked 4 times.
Won by 3 against Miami - AR had a pretty good game -sacked 3-36yards

The QB situation isn't too bad in Miami, Jets (always struggle), and so do the Bills. I think the gap narrowed last year, maybe with better off-seasons the Pats go .500 this year - they were only 2 close games away from it a year ago.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#72 » by El Duderino » Thu May 14, 2015 1:29 am

I see the Patriots being a lot like the Packers. So long as Rodgers and Brady are at QB, those teams should win their division.

The Lions have Stafford and Megatron, so that gives them at least a chance.

Quarterback in the NFL is so hugely important that to me, it automatically wipes out the Jets and Bills in the AFC East. Miami has Tanihill and he's decent, to go along with some talent on defense, but would you honestly put money on any team winning that division over New England, regardless if the Brady suspension stays at four games? I sure wouldn't.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#73 » by SpursNBucks » Thu May 14, 2015 2:05 am

El Duderino wrote:I see the Patriots being a lot like the Packers. So long as Rodgers and Brady are at QB, those teams should win their division.

Quarterback in the NFL is so hugely important that to me, it automatically wipes out the Jets and Bills in the AFC East. Miami has Tanihill and he's decent, to go along with some talent on defense, but would you honestly put money on any team winning that division over New England, regardless if the Brady suspension stays at four games? I sure wouldn't.

E.D. - I agree, I hate the Pats so it's largely a matter of want not pure reason.

QB is a key - you look at the list of Super Bowl winning QBs and it's pretty much a HOF'er list.

Occasionally you have a teams with outstanding defenses like the '85 Bears, Bucs, or Ravens = that have those "game manager" types -aren't going to win you games on their arm, but don't blow games either. - Jim McMahon, Brad Jones, and Dilfer come to mind.

The kid in Miami isn't bad - with new weapons he should be better- they may have the best shot of overtaking the Pats. The Bills and Jets - they aren't in as good of shape. The Bills have Orton - maybe he can be a game manager type.

I can't remember when the Jets had a really good QB since Namath. Have the Bills had any since Kelly? Miami's last great one was Marino. been a long drought.

Bills: Since they signed Kelly out of the USFL (drafted him '83) - they drafted 2 QBs in the 1st Manuel (#16) and Losman (#22)
Jets: Sanchez (#5) Ken O'Brien (#23) Richard Todd (#6) since Namath #1 in '65
Dolphins: Since Dan in the famous '83 QB Draft - Tannehill (#8).

The Jets and Phins had some OK QBs over the years and pick one up in 3/4 of the drafts. Scott Mitchell (before going to Lions) and Chad Henne had their moments with the Phins and all those 1st round picks had moments with the Jets.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#74 » by El Duderino » Thu May 14, 2015 3:45 am

SpursNBucks wrote:
El Duderino wrote:I see the Patriots being a lot like the Packers. So long as Rodgers and Brady are at QB, those teams should win their division.

The kid in Miami isn't bad - with new weapons he should be better- they may have the best shot of overtaking the Pats. The Bills and Jets - they aren't in as good of shape. The Bills have Orton - maybe he can be a game manager type.

I've always liked Buffalo. Part of it being them kinda similar to the Packers as a smaller northern town and i've long liked their uniforms,

It has to be frustrating to be a Buffalo fan for this upcoming season because they have such a talented defense and a number of quality weapons on offense, but just no quality quarterback, so their realistic ceiling is likely 8-8 to 9-7 at best.

The Jets also should have a very good defense, but Geno Smith barring a near miraculous turnaround is closer to being a backup caliber QB than a quality starting QB.

Tannehill is the wild card for that division. He's obviously not an upper tier QB, but he's a solid starting quarterback. If he can get just a little better and their defense plays as a top 10ish unit, they have at least a slight chance of winning the division if say NE started out poorly.

I'm a hater of all Boston area sports, so i'd love to see NE miss the playoffs.

Speaking of the Patriots, when i look at the six Super Bowls they've played in, 5 of those 6 games so easily could have gone the other way to where NE could have six rings or only one. They've had two real gut punch losses to the Giants and three wins late which easily could have been losses instead.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#75 » by SpursNBucks » Thu May 14, 2015 5:42 am

El Duderino wrote:
I'm a hater of all Boston area sports, so i'd love to see NE miss the playoffs.

I'm with you on this- I don't like the Pats, Red Sox, or Celtics (don't really follow NHL). Maybe it's a bit of a jealousy thing- they have had a lot of success. I've never been a fan of New York teams - Yankees, Knicks, and to a little lesser extent Giants, Jets don't bother me too much nor do the Mets. Now that I think about it - I guess it's the success those teams enjoyed (share the wealth), the controlling Free Agency (deep pockets), and the media coverage they get.

In college basketball/football I never have liked the teams that control recruiting. In Basketball- Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, NC, and in the Big 10 Mich State and Ohio State. Football:Big 10 Michigan and Ohio State. Florida State, Miami (not as much lately), OK, and Alabama- sure I'm forgetting some.

I like to root for All WI teams of course and the Cinderella stories. Teams that do it through great coaching and getting players that mostly stay all 4 years.

That is why the loss to Duke really hurt- I looked at this year as maybe the only year in my lifetime we will see the Badgers have a shot at a Championship. A lot of people thought they would have a tough time with NC, most experts picked ARZ, and hardly anyone was taking them over Kentucky. ALMOST!
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,278

Post#76 » by HKPackFan » Thu May 14, 2015 5:59 am

SpursNBucks wrote:

E.D. - I agree, I hate the Pats so it's largely a matter of want not pure reason.

QB is a key - you look at the list of Super Bowl winning QBs and it's pretty much a HOF'er list.

Occasionally you have a teams with outstanding defenses like the '85 Bears, Bucs, or Ravens = that have those "game manager" types -aren't going to win you games on their arm, but don't blow games either. - Jim McMahon, Brad Jones, and Dilfer come to mind.

I can't remember when the Jets had a really good QB since Namath. Have the Bills had any since Kelly? Miami's last great one was Marino. been a long drought.

Bills: Since they signed Kelly out of the USFL (drafted him '83) - they drafted 2 QBs in the 1st Manuel (#16) and Losman (#22)
Jets: Sanchez (#5) Ken O'Brien (#23) Richard Todd (#6) since Namath #1 in '65
Dolphins: Since Dan in the famous '83 QB Draft - Tannehill (#8).

The Jets and Phins had some OK QBs over the years and pick one up in 3/4 of the drafts. Scott Mitchell (before going to Lions) and Chad Henne had their moments with the Phins and all those 1st round picks had moments with the Jets.

Pretty much agree QB is way too important. I still think the Pats win the division go probably 2-2 to start the season and maybe end up 10-6 winning it.

For Miami QB's they did have Jay Fielder who was OK, but he had the impossible job of following up Dan Marino, so he had impossible shoes to fill, and no weapons beyond Ricky Williams on offense.
#FreeChuckDiesel
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,290

Post#77 » by KidA24 » Thu May 21, 2015 12:54 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:I can't remember when the Jets had a really good QB since Namath. Have the Bills had any since Kelly? Miami's last great one was Marino. been a long drought.

I just.... I mean.... I'm sure you blocked it from your memory...

Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,002

Post#78 » by humanrefutation » Thu May 21, 2015 2:03 pm

KidA24 wrote:
SpursNBucks wrote:I can't remember when the Jets had a really good QB since Namath. Have the Bills had any since Kelly? Miami's last great one was Marino. been a long drought.

65.7% completion/3,472 yards/22 TDs/22 INTs/81.0 QB rating.

Yeah, that's not "really good." That's barely mediocre.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,278

Re: Re: ATL Post draft edition 

Post#79 » by HKPackFan » Thu May 21, 2015 3:03 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
KidA24 wrote:

65.7% completion/3,472 yards/22 TDs/22 INTs/81.0 QB rating.

Yeah, that's not "really good." That's barely mediocre.

Tale of 2 halves. They had a great season going. Looked like they were going to have HFA locked up and at min go 12-4.

Favre was garbage second half of that season and badly hurt. A lot of people forget how good things looked fir a while.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,290

Post#80 » by KidA24 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:40 pm

I guess I should've used the sarcasm tag... but the first 11 games, before he got hurt he was really good:
245COMP 347ATT 70.61% 2461YDS 20TD 13INT 94.1Rating
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”

Return to Green Bay Packers