Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Re: Re: Post Draft Grades 

Post#21 » by Buckrageous » Mon May 4, 2015 10:36 pm

HKPackFan wrote:
Buckrageous wrote:
Profound23 wrote:Everyone calls Belichek a genius and some of those same people bash Ted for not drafting an ILB early.

The Pats biggest needs were CB and WR. He didn't even draft a WR and waited until the 7th round to draft a CB, even though Belichek lost both of his starters on defense. He did basically the same thing Ted did, drafted BPA no matter what.

I'm pretty sure they call him a genius because in the last 15 yrs he taken the Pats to 6 Super Bowls and won 4 of them. He also won 2 as a DC. TT has had a great run in GB and continues to put the Packers into the playoffs, however, his record is not that of Belichick.
Also they cur Wilfork so DT was as big a need as WR or CB and they did draft a DT in rd 1.

Personally I don't necessarily question why he didn't draft an ILB earlier this draft as maybe he didn't think much of what was available. I do think it's fair to question why he hasn't fixed the ILB situation one way or the other because it's been a weak link for a number of years. This is a multiple draft/FA failure.

The day Desmond bishop went down the ILB position has never been fixed. I think he tried to fix it with lattimore and terrel manning draft choices but those didnt pan out and thinking brad jones was part of the solution may have been one of the worst decisions of his tenure. At least its a low mark at any rate.

No gm is perfect, belicheks record makes him the gold standard but TT is at least at silver or higher.

I agree with all of that. The thing ironic, is that TT was a LB but he's had a hard time identifying LBs in the draft but he can seemingly spot a talented WR from a thousand yards away. Oh well, at this point I'm just going to have faith in Ryan and Bradford until shown otherwise.
Buckrageous
Starter

Re: Post Draft Grades 

Post#22 » by Buckrageous » Mon May 4, 2015 10:44 pm

Profound23 wrote:
Buckrageous wrote:
Profound23 wrote:Everyone calls Belichek a genius and some of those same people bash Ted for not drafting an ILB early.

The Pats biggest needs were CB and WR. He didn't even draft a WR and waited until the 7th round to draft a CB, even though Belichek lost both of his starters on defense. He did basically the same thing Ted did, drafted BPA no matter what.

I'm pretty sure they call him a genius because in the last 15 yrs he taken the Pats to 6 Super Bowls and won 4 of them. He also won 2 as a DC. TT has had a great run in GB and continues to put the Packers into the playoffs, however, his record is not that of Belichick.
Also they cur Wilfork so DT was as big a need as WR or CB and they did draft a DT in rd 1.

Personally I don't necessarily question why he didn't draft an ILB earlier this draft as maybe he didn't think much of what was available. I do think it's fair to question why he hasn't fixed the ILB situation one way or the other because it's been a weak link for a number of years. This is a multiple draft/FA failure.

Not sure how much you watched the Pats but Wilfork played less and less last season. Tramon was more important to us than Wilfork to them. So if you are talking about that as need, we needed to replace Tramon more than Wilfork.

I am just stating that both GM's took who they thought was the BPA regardless of need. The Pats lost their two starting DBs that played a huge part in them winning a Superbowl. They knew they needed to replace them and waited until the 7th round to draft one? I am not saying Ted is as good as or better than Bill. I am saying he uses the same draft strategy of Bill and it works.

Personally, I wanted to trade down or draft Malcolm Brown. I suggested trading down to the top of the 2nd, picking up other picks and combining them with pick 62 to move up in the 2nd. If he was able to pull this off you are looking at Eddie Goldman and one of the top ILB. However, I understand Ted knows more than me and will at least give it a wait and see approach.

That's where I was (though for me id throw in McKinney too). I would of been happier with a NT or ILB would could contribute and 1 project CB in the first 2 rounds instead of two. It's hard for me to get behind a S with only 2 yrs in college projecting to CB where he has never played was a good risk/ reward at 30. Hopefully I'm wrong.
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Post#23 » by SpursNBucks » Tue May 5, 2015 12:51 am

Buckrageous wrote:
Personally, I wanted to trade down or draft Malcolm Brown. I suggested trading down to the top of the 2nd, picking up other picks and combining them with pick 62 to move up in the 2nd. If he was able to pull this off you are looking at Eddie Goldman and one of the top ILB. However, I understand Ted knows more than me and will at least give it a wait and see approach.

That's where I was (though for me id throw in McKinney too). I would of been happier with a NT or ILB would could contribute and 1 project CB in the first 2 rounds instead of two. It's hard for me to get behind a S with only 2 yrs in college projecting to CB where he has never played was a good risk/ reward at 30. Hopefully I'm wrong.[/quote]

There just wasn't a player on the board that anyone wanted - so trading down wasn't happening for anyone. The bottom of the 1st to mid of the 2nd players had basically the same grades. Malcom Brown would have been good value at the pick- Raji is saying he is in great shape- if he can come back and be close to what he once was they should be OK, Jones needs to show something this year, and Daniels is good - the starters should be better just with improvement from Jones and healthy Raji. Boyd and Guion should be OK backups - Ringo is an interesting pick. In Capers 3-4 the Line just needs to hold up the run- nothing flashy. I think Ted and the NFL in general just put much more value in CB over ILB. Look at how the CBs did in free agency.

Randall did play CB in JUCO- and won just about every award you could. When he came to ASU - they needed a S-- they use the S a lot. He was 1st team all-conference, and Sports Illustrated All-American. No injury issues. He average 8.4 tackles/game and finished with the 4th most tackles in one year @ ASU. He was defensive player of the week a few time - ironically against Stanford (Montgomery) that would be a good game to see. The guy has has a lot of success. He should of been playing CB, butt out of necessity he played S. I don't see him having trouble making the transition.
Buckrageous
Starter

Post#24 » by Buckrageous » Tue May 5, 2015 1:38 am

If Raji has a huge bounce back year there is a good chance he leaves after the season. If he doesn't have a bounce back year he probably leaves after the season. I hope Pennell becomes something, otherwise they could of used a NT.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,280

Post#25 » by HKPackFan » Tue May 5, 2015 1:59 am

Buckrageous wrote:If Raji has a huge bounce back year there is a good chance he leaves after the season. If he doesn't have a bounce back year he probably leaves after the season. I hope Pennell becomes something, otherwise they could of used a NT.

So you think either way Raji is gone?
Buckrageous
Starter

Post#26 » by Buckrageous » Tue May 5, 2015 11:06 pm

HKPackFan wrote:
Buckrageous wrote:If Raji has a huge bounce back year there is a good chance he leaves after the season. If he doesn't have a bounce back year he probably leaves after the season. I hope Pennell becomes something, otherwise they could of used a NT.

So you think either way Raji is gone?

He turned down a long term deal from the Packers, resigned because he played like garbage and no one else wanted him, and then got injured and again resigned because no one else wanted him. The only way I see him staying is if he's mediocre, doesn't get a deal elsewhere, and the Pack give him another 1 year deal. And at that point they still would be better off replacing him.
Reddeye
Bench Warmer
And1: 270

Post#27 » by Reddeye » Wed May 6, 2015 2:56 am

Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,541

Post#28 » by Profound23 » Fri May 8, 2015 2:51 am

What if Packers went:

1st Maxx Williams
2nd Jaelon Strong
3rd TJ Clemmings
4th David Cobb
5th Brett Hundley
6th Aaron Ripkowski
6th Andy Galik
6th Tre McBride

I would have loved to have seen everyone flip out after an all offensive draft.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#29 » by SpursNBucks » Fri May 8, 2015 4:12 am

Profound23 wrote:What if Packers went:

1st Maxx Williams
2nd Jaelon Strong
3rd TJ Clemmings
4th David Cobb
5th Brett Hundley
6th Aaron Ripkowski
6th Andy Galik
6th Tre McBride

You must be a U of Minnesota fan

Maxx-Wasn't the year to take a TE high - would have been a big reach. Maxx has limited upside.
Strong not a Return guy don't need a WR quite this high- like Rollins a lot more.
Clemmings work in progress -not ready now. Like the return guy they drafted better
Cobb- Slow power back - a real poor man's Lacy, didn't like him. Better suited for Steelers/Ravens, power back

I'm trying to find someone I like, but this would have been a really bad Draft = JMHO though.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#30 » by Profound23 » Fri May 8, 2015 4:54 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:
Profound23 wrote:What if Packers went:

1st Maxx Williams
2nd Jaelon Strong
3rd TJ Clemmings
4th David Cobb
5th Brett Hundley
6th Aaron Ripkowski
6th Andy Galik
6th Tre McBride

You must be a U of Minnesota fan

Maxx-Wasn't the year to take a TE high - would have been a big reach. Maxx has limited upside.
Strong not a Return guy don't need a WR quite this high- like Rollins a lot more.
Clemmings work in progress -not ready now. Like the return guy they drafted better
Cobb- Slow power back - a real poor man's Lacy, didn't like him. Better suited for Steelers/Ravens, power back

I'm trying to find someone I like, but this would have been a really bad Draft = JMHO though.

Not saying I would have loved that draft. I like our draft better. Just saw that is about where those guys were drafted and imagine everyone erupting if Ted went completely offense in the draft.

I am not a fan of Maxx Williams in the 1st either but I can't talk about tight ends in the draft anymore. I thought DJ Williams was going to be great and JerMichael Finley was going to be our best TE since Coffman. I lose any right to talk about how a college tight end will look in the pros.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#31 » by SpursNBucks » Sat May 9, 2015 1:46 pm

Profound23 wrote:Not saying I would have loved that draft. I like our draft better. Just saw that is about where those guys were drafted and imagine everyone erupting if Ted went completely offense in the draft.

I am not a fan of Maxx Williams in the 1st either but I can't talk about tight ends in the draft anymore. I thought DJ Williams was going to be great and JerMichael Finley was going to be our best TE since Coffman. I lose any right to talk about how a college tight end will look in the pros.

lol. If it's any consolation - Finley was out best TE since Coffman for "a while". I thought DJ was going to be better as well. I thought this was the worst TE class in a long time.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,280

Post#32 » by HKPackFan » Sat May 9, 2015 2:40 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:
Profound23 wrote:Not saying I would have loved that draft. I like our draft better. Just saw that is about where those guys were drafted and imagine everyone erupting if Ted went completely offense in the draft.

lol. If it's any consolation - Finley was out best TE since Coffman for "a while". I thought DJ was going to be better as well. I thought this was the worst TE class in a long time.

We haven't been completely empty between coffman and finley.

We rented keith Jackson for a few games. He was older but still had some wheels. Chewy was decent. I remember Bubba was ok, not as dominant as i hoped when we drafted him, but Bubba was a nice big target near the endzone.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#33 » by Profound23 » Sat May 9, 2015 2:51 pm

D.J. Williams I was so hyped when we drafted him. I can't believe how excited I was to get someone who never amounted to anything. I watched him dominate in college every Saturday.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#34 » by SpursNBucks » Sat May 9, 2015 7:43 pm

Profound23 wrote:D.J. Williams I was so hyped when we drafted him. I can't believe how excited I was to get someone who never amounted to anything. I watched him dominate in college every Saturday.

I didn't think he was so hyped - I never heard of him- when the Packers Drafted him in the 5th that when I heard he won all the TE awards. He had a good combine and great college career- never made sense that he failed like he did. Maybe there was something there we didn't know that made him 5th round.

Return to Green Bay Packers