ImageImage

the boy was I wrong pick

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

the boy was I wrong pick 

Post#1 » by RRyder823 » Sun May 10, 2015 6:06 am

Commin off the draft on a different Packer board I frequent this question was posted and figured id get your guys opinions. Name the top picks in your lifetime that you were high on comming in that just flopped.

1:Torrence Marshell- love him at MLB comming in but never put his physical abilities to good use.

2: Brian Brohm- Wasnt enamored with Rodgers after his first few preseasons and really thought Brohm could be the heir apparent. Boy was I wrong.

3: Abdul Hodge: Liked him less then Marshell comming in but still quite abit. Complete non factor for us and never amounted to much
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Re: the boy was I wrong pick 

Post#2 » by Mags FTW » Sun May 10, 2015 6:16 am

I agree on Marshall. I heard the reason he never panned out was because he was wasn't very smart. At Oklahoma they ran a defense that just let him fly around and make plays. But in the NFL he didn't have the mental capacity to recognize his assignments and stick to them.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,278

Post#3 » by HKPackFan » Sun May 10, 2015 1:22 pm

I was waaay to excited about worthy.

I saw him against the badgers and other highlight videos.

I always felt WI is a top tier oline and some make it to the NFL so if worthy can beat up on the badgers he should be able to make the transition to the pros.

Plus TT traded up!! I think clay was the last time TT traded up for a guy. I was in love with the pick. Damn. So wrong.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#4 » by Newz » Sun May 10, 2015 2:04 pm

Aaron Rodgers.

Was pretty excited when we picked him. Saw him his first two years and thought he was trash... turns out to be maybe the best QB ever. :D
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,535

Post#5 » by Profound23 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:06 pm

1.) D.J. Wiliams - I pictured him as worst case another Bubba Franks, best case Chumra.

2.) I agree on Abdul Hodge.

3.) Nick Barnett - This is why I wasn't as disappointed with missing the MLB's in the first round. That year I remember everyone saying we have to draft MLB. We wanted either EJ Henderson, Boss Bailey, or Barnett. While two of the three were serviceable we missed out Nnamdi Asomugha, Charles Tillman, Ken Hamlin all of whom were drafted around that area because we didn't even considered DB.

Oh yeah, we followed that up by reaching for two CB in the following year's draft (Ahmad Carroll and Joey Thomas).
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Post#6 » by SpursNBucks » Sun May 10, 2015 3:30 pm

RRyder823 wrote:Commin off the draft on a different Packer board I frequent this question was posted and figured id get your guys opinions. Name the top picks in your lifetime that you were high on comming in that just flopped.

1:Torrence Marshell- love him at MLB comming in but never put his physical abilities to good use.

2: Brian Brohm- Wasnt enamored with Rodgers after his first few preseasons and really thought Brohm could be the heir apparent. Boy was I wrong.

3: Abdul Hodge: Liked him less then Marshell comming in but still quite abit. Complete non factor for us and never amounted to much

1. You butchered his name pretty good - Torrance Marshall - His problem was he didn't have much between the ears.
2. Brohm- No arm. System college QB. Most GMs got the memo, Ted must have missed it.
3. Hodge- Would have been pretty good, injuries ended his career.

A lot of players that disappointed. I thought Javon Walker was going to be a top 2-3 WR for a long time, but when he got pissy about $ his career went down. Bubba wasn't a bad player, but thought he would be better. I thought Na'il Diggs could be something special. Blackmon, Antuan Edwards, De'mond Parker, ...............
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#7 » by wichmae » Sun May 10, 2015 6:46 pm

The Sherrod pick I was pretty excited about. Then in the same draft Alex Green. I feel im usually pretty on about picks. Felt Worthy had no motor, DJ Williams and Hodge were too small. Marshall was just not bright.

ETA: I was also him on Aaron Rouse.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#8 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun May 10, 2015 6:55 pm

Worthy for me. I probably based too much off seeing him in the badgers backfield all day the year he was drafted. Also liked Alex green a lot and wonder if he would have panned out had he not ripped up his knee. Also remember wanting Chad Jackson over Greg Jennings but was way wrong on that one.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,953

Post#9 » by BUCKnation » Sun May 10, 2015 7:02 pm

Off the top of my head, Worthy for sure.
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Re: 

Post#10 » by SpursNBucks » Sun May 10, 2015 7:38 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Worthy for me. I probably based too much off seeing him in the badgers backfield all day the year he was drafted. Also liked Alex green a lot and wonder if he would have panned out had he not ripped up his knee. Also remember wanting Chad Jackson over Greg Jennings but was way wrong on that one.

I was big on Worthy = can't wee blame some of that on injury? Brohm was (next to Harrell) one of Ted's biggest busts. I never liked the pick when I heard about the weak arm. The only great QB who had a weak arm was Bernie Kosar.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#11 » by bigkurty » Mon May 11, 2015 12:26 am

Terrell Buckley and Jamal Reynolds :( I really thought both would be great.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#12 » by HKPackFan » Mon May 11, 2015 1:32 am

Marshall i was worried about when he got a 7 or 9 on the wonderlic. He may be good in STs but not much more.

Torrance see ball kick. Torrance chase ball. Torrrance tackle man with ball.

I used to tease all the time that's about all he could handle..

I was a huge J walker fan. Watched him build himself up. I felt he could have become a legend in GB. He had the tools and he was training in the offseason like a madman training with the best.

I watched him at lambeau once against Jax and he beat his man about 20 to 25 times at least. He was basically open almost every down. He had like 12 to 15 catches that day but could have been 20+ he was always open.

I never expected his career to take that sideways turn and never fully recover.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#13 » by Ill-yasova » Mon May 11, 2015 1:34 am

Aaron Rodgers- "He's a Tedford QB and his yards per completion are terrible. Plus, why aren't we getting Favre more weapons?"
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#14 » by Bernman » Mon May 11, 2015 2:38 am

Worthy, Rouse, and McBride. There are more, but off the top of my head I think those are the most glaring. McBride was a udfa, but I really developed an affinity for him in his years with the Pack to the point I got poked fun at for it after he washed out. NFL coaches didn't see the same things apparently. I was impressed he was an all-around player like a lot of the DB's the Pack seem to be targeting now, but I guess his coaches then didn't like that he wasn't a significant plus at either covering or tackling.

I was proudly a staunch A-Rodg backer and Brohm critic before those drafts. Those who were the opposite on those players have got to be #1 in the category that inspired this thread. A-Rodg literally might be the best QB of all-time and Brohm the worst. Brohm couldn't even drop back fast enough to step up in the pocket after the natural push of the line. Almost everything was off the back foot. In conjunction with his modest throwing arm, that was a death sentence for him as an NFL player. He always had those attributes, but was throwing into grand canyon sized openings in the Big East, so they were hidden back then.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#15 » by jakecronus8 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:59 am

I hated the Lacy pick. Really thought he was a product of Bama's insane offensive line.

I too was livid over small school picks Jennings and Collins, and was confused by the Jordy pick.

I was so excited when we traded up in '09 as I thought we were targeting Everette Brown. Was pretty sad we drafted Clay instead.

Now some guys I was right on:
Hawk and Harrell. Two picks that were giant reaches.

Rodgers, though admittedly I think it was more excitement of knowing who our heir apparent was.

Hated Alex Green and Brandon Jackson. Nothing stood out or wowed you from their tape.

Early one, but I called Corey Linsley being our starting center the day he was drafted. Granted he got the spot due to injury but it looks like he is not giving it up anytime soon.
Do it for Chuck
HKPackFan
RealGM

Re: Re: the boy was I wrong pick 

Post#16 » by HKPackFan » Mon May 11, 2015 5:37 am

Ill-yasova wrote:Aaron Rodgers- "He's a Tedford QB and his yards per completion are terrible. Plus, why aren't we getting Favre more weapons?"

Before the draft i was asked who do i want the packers to draft....i said anyone but a qb coz i was in win now mode.

Hahahahahaha. Everyone looked at me the next day and i smiled like....wait a minute. I didn't expect Rodgers to drop that far.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,002

Post#17 » by humanrefutation » Mon May 11, 2015 5:34 pm

I was excited about Hodge, Worthy, and Marshall. But they pale in comparison to Reynolds, who was a top 10 pick that we acquired by trading our biggest trade chip (Hasselbeck) and a Top 20 pick to move up. I thought he was going to be Jason Taylor and he was out of the league in three years.

The only other one that comes to mind is AJ Hawk - a backer I thought was going to be a stud at MLB for a decade.
Profound23
RealGM

Re: Re: the boy was I wrong pick 

Post#18 » by Profound23 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:18 pm

HKPackFan wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:Aaron Rodgers- "He's a Tedford QB and his yards per completion are terrible. Plus, why aren't we getting Favre more weapons?"

Before the draft i was asked who do i want the packers to draft....i said anyone but a qb coz i was in win now mode.

Hahahahahaha. Everyone looked at me the next day and i smiled like....wait a minute. I didn't expect Rodgers to drop that far.

I will admit this is one I was right on. Before the draft I kept saying Rodgers should be the #1 pick and I didn't get all the hype for Alex Smith. Watched it with some Packer fans who went crazy screaming after we drafted him. I kept saying, "just watch."

I said at the time he will land somewhere between Majikowski and Steve Young, didn't expect him to even jump over that range.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#19 » by Profound23 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:20 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I was excited about Hodge, Worthy, and Marshall. But they pale in comparison to Reynolds, who was a top 10 pick that we acquired by trading our biggest trade chip (Hasselbeck) and a Top 20 pick to move up. I thought he was going to be Jason Taylor and he was out of the league in three years.

The only other one that comes to mind is AJ Hawk - a backer I thought was going to be a stud at MLB for a decade.

I didn't like the Hawk pick, however I wanted MICHAEL HUFF. :crazy:
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#20 » by ReasonablySober » Mon May 11, 2015 7:51 pm

I've never been wrong. Strange, I know, but it's totally true.

Return to Green Bay Packers