ImageImage

The Mental Toughness Roundtable

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,674

The Mental Toughness Roundtable 

Post#1 » by chonestown » Mon Aug 3, 2015 6:14 pm

All the pieces are in place for a championship year, but is there the requisite grit to bring back the Lombardi?
Do the Packers want it enough to actually make the Owl reality?
Mental toughness: do we have it, can we get more of it, is it something that can be cultivated organically?
Can scrappiness be homegrown?
Despite the whole "Pittsburgh Tough" image, is Mike McCarthy less the Yuengling-swilling Yinzer and more the pinky-extended caramel macchiato sipper?
Facial hair: obnoxious hipster appropriation or signifier of Someone Who's Just a Football Player, You Know What I'm Sayin?
Can a man named HaHa actually be serious about his film study?
Frank Winters: now that was one tough hombre, amirite?
If John Kuhn was a sandpaper, what number grit would he be?
Abby: Plagued by mental trauma or plagued by mental toughness, i.e. Jared Abberdaris not mentally tough?

Discuss.
Failing that, feel free to post Jeff Janis fan-fic.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Re: The Mental Toughness Roundtable 

Post#2 » by emunney » Mon Aug 3, 2015 10:00 pm

I was scheduled to meet Jeff for lunch. He was a friend of a friend...
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#3 » by WiscoKing13 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 10:07 pm

not sure if serious
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#4 » by Badgerlander » Mon Aug 3, 2015 10:38 pm

Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,281

Post#5 » by HKPackFan » Tue Aug 4, 2015 2:17 am

My only MM critique is on first and goal inside the 5 you only have 3 shots at the end zone and the kuhn dive play for 1 yard or no gain just wasted a down. Now only 2 shots at the end zone.

I'd rather have 3 quality plays inside the 5 instead of wasting one. No kuhn please.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,539

Re: 

Post#6 » by th87 » Thu Aug 6, 2015 4:20 am

HKPackFan wrote:My only MM critique is on first and goal inside the 5 you only have 3 shots at the end zone and the kuhn dive play for 1 yard or no gain just wasted a down. Now only 2 shots at the end zone.

I'd rather have 3 quality plays inside the 5 instead of wasting one. No kuhn please.

Yes. I hate the Kuhn play even when it works. Like anything else would be better.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#7 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Aug 6, 2015 3:44 pm

I've always wanted them to spread it out at the goal line with Lacy in the backfield. As El Dude sometimes says...why not hand it to Lacy out of the gun and let him run into a 5 on 6 box instead of 9 on 10 mayhem? If they pack the middle, fake it to Lacy and let Rodgers dissect a team that is willing to go 3 vs. 4 on the outside.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#8 » by chuckleslove » Thu Aug 6, 2015 3:52 pm

It will be interesting to see if any of that changes this year with a new playcaller, Ultimately Rodgers still has the control but I'm very curious to see how much change there is in some of the philosophy of the offense, if any.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#9 » by El Duderino » Fri Aug 7, 2015 4:46 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:I've always wanted them to spread it out at the goal line with Lacy in the backfield. As El Dude sometimes says...why not hand it to Lacy out of the gun and let him run into a 5 on 6 box instead of 9 on 10 mayhem? If they pack the middle, fake it to Lacy and let Rodgers dissect a team that is willing to go 3 vs. 4 on the outside.

This has been a peeve of mine in football for a long time. Teams get at say the 1 or 2 yard line and they bring in their socalled jumbo set with 2-3 tight ends, maybe a fullback, and no receivers. The defense responds with nearly every big body they have.

You end up with about 20 big bodies in this very confined area and thus even when some lineman/tight end get a good block, there tends to be such a big pile of bodies either on the ground or in a stalemate that the back often struggles to find a clear hole to run through given it's usually more of a quick hitter type of handoff.

Leave a few receivers in the game with at least one in the slot. This not only makes the defense have to worry about the pass more, it removes multiple big bodies from the defense and spreads them out more.

I'd much rather see Rodgers under center at the 1-2 yard line with 3-4 receivers in the game and the defense more spread out so that if the ball is handed to Lacey, there aren't 20 big bodies piled up at the goal line.

Granted, that power/jumbo formation does work sometimes in the NFL, but it amazes me how often a team will get stuffed on multiple early downs using that same power formation, yet stubbornly stick to it on 4th down also. Drives me crazy.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#10 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Aug 7, 2015 1:54 pm

The one note of support that I will give the jumbo set is that it leaves a lot of horizontal space for the play action. We've seen the spread fail plenty because there just isn't enough room vertically, but if you use it primarily as a running set, I think you'll win.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,281

Post#11 » by HKPackFan » Fri Aug 7, 2015 2:19 pm

Agreed. Can't go all spread or all jumbo every down but El dude says being stubborn about it is pretty annoying. Especially our TEs are not great blockers and kuhn doesn't have the same push he used to as a Fb. It is a crowded area of fatties.

It's like...kuhn dive play wasted play. Then jumbo run play stopped short. Then third down we are desperate and miss when we go 4 wide on an obvious passing down.

Would love to see it mixed up with lacy or wrs still being a threat on the same play. Our lineups are obvious passing or running downs. No one is surprised.

Return to Green Bay Packers