ImageImage

SI's Top 10 WR's/RB's in Football.

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,247

SI's Top 10 WR's/RB's in Football. 

Post#1 » by HKPackFan » Tue Aug 4, 2015 7:27 am

I was definitely not expecting this. Jordy #3 and Cobb #9. Wow. Only team with 2 in the top 10. Also was not expecting Jordy #3 above Beckam/Megatron.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/30/position-rankings-wide-receivers-dez-bryant-antonio-brown

3. Jordy Nelson, Packers: A bastion of consistency over the last two seasons, Nelson made his first Pro Bowl in 2014 with a 98-catch, 1,519-yard campaign that firmly put him on the map as one of the league's best at what he does. Since he came out of Kansas State in 2008, Nelson has been quietly fighting the war of perception regarding his quickness on the field. You'll still hear people refer to him as a big possession receiver, which is ridiculous.

In each of the last two seasons, he's averaged 15.5 yards per catch, and he tied for fifth in the league in 2014 with 12 receptions in which the ball traveled 20 yards in the air or more. But sure, if you want to throw him a seven-yard slant and watch him blow through safeties, he'll do that, too. Nelson's most impressive recent development is his full-field versatility. He became a star for the Packers in the slot in 2013 after Randall Cobb was hurt. Nelson has grown into the rare receiver with no obvious liabilities.

9. Randall Cobb, Packers: Green Bay is the only team with two receivers on this list, and while that's a testimony in part to Aaron Rodgers's greatness, it's also about Cobb's game-breaking ability and the creativity of the Packers' coaching staff. You'll see him as an outside receiver and a sweep/fake guy in certain packages, but where Cobb has really established himself is as the most productive slot receiver in the NFL today—and it's not really close.

According to Pro Football Focus metrics, Cobb caught 75 passes on 106 targets for 1,067 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2014. To put that in perspective, Tennessee's Kendall Wright led the league in 2013 with 63 catches and 694 yards from the slot, while Eddie Royal and Wes Welker tied for the lead in touchdowns from the slot with seven. If you're looking to make the argument that slot receivers are no longer second-class citizens, Cobb is a good place to start.
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM

Re: SI's Top 10 WR's in Football. 

Post#2 » by HKPackFan » Tue Aug 4, 2015 7:30 am

I didn't want to make a new thread, but I just checked SI's top 10 RB's and Lacy made #4.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/29/top-10-running-backs-marshawn-lynch-leveon-bell

4. Eddie Lacy, Packers

The 5'11", 231-pound Lacy is primarily a power back, but there's some burst in what he does as well. Last season, he finished second in the league with 20 runs of 15 yards or more, behind only Murray. Does he benefit from the fact that defenses are set up to stop Aaron Rodgers's passing game more than anything else? To be sure, but he's also given Rodgers and the Packers the most sustained and consistent running game they've had in many years. Packers coach Mike McCarthy has said that he wants to keep Lacy fresh by limiting his rushing attempts in 2015, but don't expect his value to decrease—more and more, Rodgers is relying on Lacy as an option in the passing game, and that could take a serious uptick in the new season.

They make a point about Lacy running behind Rodgers and the threat of the air assault, but let's not forget 2013 when Lacy was still pounding away behind Tolzein, Seneca Wallance, and Matt Flynn. He still produced in that half season even with a non-starting caliber NFL QB.
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#3 » by HKPackFan » Tue Aug 4, 2015 7:39 am

A given, Rodgers #1 QB on SI's top 10 QB list:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/28/top-10-quarterbacks-aaron-rodgers-tony-romo

1. Aaron Rodgers, Packers: That Rodgers is the NFL's best quarterback isn't a discussion point. Really. What's worth discussing now is where he stands in the pantheon of all-time greats. Since 2011, his touchdown-to-interception ratio is absolutely comical: Including the postseason, he's thrown 149 touchdown passes and 32 interceptions in four years. That's the kind of peak-value career performance you don't often see, if ever. At 31, Rodgers is still the best thrower in the NFL on the move, among the best when throwing the deep ball, just about the best under pressure ... there isn't a thing you're required to do as a quarterback that he hasn't mastered to a chilling, almost robotic, degree.

And there's no indication that, barring injury, he won't continue at his current pace for the next few seasons. In 2014, he had his lowest career interception percentage (five picks in 520 attempts), and over the last two seasons, he's posted his second- and third-highest career yards per attempt marks (8.7 in 2013, 8.4 in 2014). Put simply, this is how you play quarterback in the modern NFL, and Rodgers has been showing us how to do it for about half a decade now. A few more years of this, and we'll have to put him in the discussion of the best of all time. He's pretty close already.
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#4 » by HKPackFan » Tue Aug 4, 2015 7:58 am

Just purely reviewing SI's offensive listings we have:

#1 QB in the league (Rodgers)
#4 Oline in the league (Sitton picked #1 guard in the NFL)
#4 RB in the league (Lacy)
#3 WR in the league (Jordy)
#9 WR in the league (Cobb)

That is about as elite as it gets. And all these players are in their prime playing years, so barring injury shouldn't be experiencing any father time slumps or sudden drop offs.

We have a top 5 player at every offensive position except TE. While that might be a weakness I think being top 4 at the rest of the offensive positions and 2 top 10 players at WR more than makes up for it.

Even against top defenses with us having so many top players on offense, this offense shouldn't be stopped. We might not have a 4-6 TD day against the better ones, but I would still expect this offense to produce.

If we can get the Defense to be a top 15 defense, and the Special Teams to be Top 20, this should be a superbowl winning team.

I can get MM's decision to drop the offensive duties. All he needs is a slightly above average Defense and an average Special Teams and this team is superbowl bound. Just slightly above average with the other 2 units is all that is holding this team back, so that's what he's focusing on. I'm glad he recognizes it and decided to roll up his sleeves and get involved. The offense is already elite and with Rodgers peaking MM can pretty much take an almost hands off approach to offense. Let's see if MM's attention to the 2 other units translates into them performing better.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,625

Post#5 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Aug 4, 2015 12:57 pm

The time is now. I don't ever like to throw around the word "expectations", but with this kind of offense it's Super Bowl or bust. I think our defense peaked at the right time last year and it's a shame that a couple critical mental mistakes cost us an opportunity at Rodgers' 2nd ring.

I'm starting to agree with the people that say it would be a monumental disappointment if Rodgers ends his career with just one Super Bowl.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#6 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Aug 4, 2015 11:46 pm

Jordy will always be underrated by casuals because of his hue. One of the best all around receivers we've had. In a list of all time Packers receivers I could put him as high as 3.
Do it for Chuck
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,625

Post#7 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Aug 5, 2015 1:59 am

jakecronus8 wrote:Jordy will always be underrated by casuals because of his hue. One of the best all around receivers we've had. In a list of all time Packers receivers I could put him as high as 3.

That's pretty high praise. You'd put him ahead of one of Hutson, Lofton, or Sterling Sharpe?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,338

Post#8 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Aug 5, 2015 11:57 am

Ron Swanson wrote:The time is now. I don't ever like to throw around the word "expectations", but with this kind of offense it's Super Bowl or bust. I think our defense peaked at the right time last year and it's a shame that a couple critical mental mistakes cost us an opportunity at Rodgers' 2nd ring.

I'm starting to agree with the people that say it would be a monumental disappointment if Rodgers ends his career with just one Super Bowl.

Agree 100%. AR is 31. He's surrounded by top notch talent. Hopefully the defense is at least serviceable.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#9 » by El Duderino » Thu Aug 6, 2015 2:37 am

MickeyDavis wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:The time is now. I don't ever like to throw around the word "expectations", but with this kind of offense it's Super Bowl or bust. I think our defense peaked at the right time last year and it's a shame that a couple critical mental mistakes cost us an opportunity at Rodgers' 2nd ring.

Agree 100%. AR is 31. He's surrounded by top notch talent. Hopefully the defense is at least serviceable.

Defense has always been the big question mark since Ted/McCarthy/Rodgers took over. We score a ton of points, but often have had mediocre to poor defenses.

Granted, a lot of the money gets spent on offense, but Ted has simply whiffed more on his defensive picks.
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Re: SI's Top 10 WR's/RB's in Football. 

Post#10 » by SpursNBucks » Sat Aug 8, 2015 10:24 pm

Nelson and Cobb are both in the 6-10 range. He's putting too much into last year's stats-Megatron is either #1 or #2. He also has Julio Jones and AJ Green too low. I'm looking at it from a size/speed/talent perspective. Imagine what some of these guys would do in the Packers offense with Rodgers.

Peterson #10? That is just too funny.

Anyone can make a list

Eventually I think Adams will be the best of all the receivers from the Thompson era. The only thing he lacks is top end speed- he does get caught from behind where the 4.3-4.4 guys wont. Still think he will be the best WR since Sharpe. Great hands, great routes, and super athletic.

Return to Green Bay Packers