ImageImage

The Biggest Problems the Packers Face This Season?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Re: The Biggest Problems the Packers Face This Season? 

Post#21 » by emunney » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:51 pm

Lack of Dantzler
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,487

Post#22 » by Profound23 » Tue Sep 1, 2015 2:34 am

Injuries
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,217

Post#23 » by HKPackFan » Tue Sep 1, 2015 7:03 am

the VIKINGS!!

:naaa:

No seriously though, I think in the division they are the up and coming team. Bridgewater wasn't a bad pick. They could be a tough competitor at some point....

Yet still think the Biggest problem for the Packers (besides injuries) is the black hole at ILB.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,597

Post#24 » by Balls2TheWalls » Tue Sep 1, 2015 8:31 am

The middle of our front seven. I was as ready to get rid of AJ Hawk as the next guy, but no one on our team is exciting right now at MLB. Raji does not look like the force he was before he moved to DE and got injured.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#25 » by LUKE23 » Tue Sep 1, 2015 2:21 pm

Honestly, the front 7 as a whole worries me. Assuming Clay plays inside most downs, I'm not sure we have enough guys that bring pass rush. Not sold that Peppers has another year in him. Both Neal and Perry are more meant to be rotational guys, IMO. Barrington is purely a run stopper. Datone Jones has shown almost nothing. Getting to the QB is going to be a major concern, IMO.
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Post#26 » by SpursNBucks » Thu Sep 3, 2015 9:45 pm

Balls2TheWalls wrote:The middle of our front seven. I was as ready to get rid of AJ Hawk as the next guy, but no one on our team is exciting right now at MLB. Raji does not look like the force he was before he moved to DE and got injured.

I keep waiting for someone in the middle of that D (namely against the run) to step up. In the first preseason game I thought Ryan played pretty well, but it seems like they are maybe opting for Palmer. I just haven't seen anyone step up - Barrington was exposed in the passing game against the Eagles. They will probably have to go heavy here next Draft like they did DB this year.
emunney
RealGM

Post#27 » by emunney » Thu Sep 3, 2015 9:53 pm

Barrington won't dress tonight, so it'll be a good opportunity to evaluate the other guys. Have to hope somebody takes a huge step in a hurry. Bradford looks good when he's attacking.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#28 » by SpursNBucks » Thu Sep 3, 2015 10:00 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Honestly, the front 7 as a whole worries me. Assuming Clay plays inside most downs, I'm not sure we have enough guys that bring pass rush. Not sold that Peppers has another year in him. Both Neal and Perry are more meant to be rotational guys, IMO. Barrington is purely a run stopper. Datone Jones has shown almost nothing. Getting to the QB is going to be a major concern, IMO.

That's the thing a lot of people forget - they say -Clay can cover up some for the interior defense, but then you have a void in the pass rush. Some also say the run defense was decent when Clay was moved to ILB- NOPE! They played weak rushing offenses- they have not looked good against the run for some time -if this isn't a concern then your not really watching the games very closely.

Clay was an improvement, but they still were below average against the run.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#29 » by crkone » Fri Sep 4, 2015 12:10 am

The pass rush won't be a problem. It'll be the run defense again. Jones, Daniels, Peppers, and Neal/Perry/Mulumba are going to be sick. Throw in Clay on obvious pass downs and it gets ridiculous. Jones is going to be awesome rushing the passer and awful against the run.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
emunney
RealGM

Post#30 » by emunney » Fri Sep 4, 2015 1:42 am

The run defense will go as Clay's health goes.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#31 » by SpursNBucks » Fri Sep 4, 2015 3:17 am

crkone wrote:The pass rush won't be a problem. It'll be the run defense again. Jones, Daniels, Peppers, and Neal/Perry/Mulumba are going to be sick. Throw in Clay on obvious pass downs and it gets ridiculous. Jones is going to be awesome rushing the passer and awful against the run.

Jones and Neal have been first round busts so far for the most part. I hope Peppers can keep going at his age. Neal is OK, but kind of a tweener- not the size of a 3-4 DE and not really quick enough for a 3-4 OLB. Mulumba has had moments, but mostly coming against other teams 2nd and 3rd team units.

I would like to see Raji have a strong come back - and on pass downs - bring Daniels-Pennel-Neal on the line with Peppers and Clay outside.

I really don't like Clay playing inside, was hoping they could find the answer in the off-season. Unfortunately it looks like he will return to playing a lot inside.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Re: RE: Re: The Biggest Problems the Packers Face This Season? 

Post#32 » by RRyder823 » Fri Sep 4, 2015 4:02 am

SpursNBucks wrote:
crkone wrote:The pass rush won't be a problem. It'll be the run defense again. Jones, Daniels, Peppers, and Neal/Perry/Mulumba are going to be sick. Throw in Clay on obvious pass downs and it gets ridiculous. Jones is going to be awesome rushing the passer and awful against the run.

Jones and Neal have been first round busts so far for the most part. I hope Peppers can keep going at his age. Neal is OK, but kind of a tweener- not the size of a 3-4 DE and not really quick enough for a 3-4 OLB. Mulumba has had moments, but mostly coming against other teams 2nd and 3rd team units.

I would like to see Raji have a strong come back - and on pass downs - bring Daniels-Pennel-Neal on the line with Peppers and Clay outside.

I really don't like Clay playing inside, was hoping they could find the answer in the off-season. Unfortunately it looks like he will return to playing a lot inside.

Neal wasn't a 1st round pick and while Jones has been terrible against the run he actually is arguably our best pass rushing D Lineman. I wouldn't call him a bust. Just someone who hasn't played up to expectations
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#33 » by HKPackFan » Fri Sep 4, 2015 4:59 am

RRyder823 wrote:
SpursNBucks wrote:

Neal wasn't a 1st round pick and while Jones has been terrible against the run he actually is arguably our best pass rushing D Lineman. I wouldn't call him a bust. Just someone who hasn't played up to expectations

Jones had a great preseason playing against 3rd stringers. He will killing them. I'm going to hold my judgement to see how he does against lineman who belong on an NFL field. I'm not trying to knock him, I just haven't seen him compete against quality Oline this preseason.
#FreeChuckDiesel
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,220

Post#34 » by rilamann » Fri Sep 4, 2015 8:37 am

Mike McCarthy's balls deflating in the post season.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#35 » by HKPackFan » Fri Sep 4, 2015 10:06 am

rilamann wrote:Mike McCarthy's balls deflating in the post season.

He's not calling plays anymore so why is that a problem? I don't think he can be accused of going conservative when he is not the player caller.
#FreeChuckDiesel
RRyder823
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Biggest Problems the Packers Face This Season? 

Post#36 » by RRyder823 » Fri Sep 4, 2015 11:56 am

HKPackFan wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
SpursNBucks wrote:

Jones had a great preseason playing against 3rd stringers. He will killing them. I'm going to hold my judgement to see how he does against lineman who belong on an NFL field. I'm not trying to knock him, I just haven't seen him compete against quality Oline this preseason.

My assessment is based on what he's done against guys in the regular season. In the chances he's has had he's actually been a really good pass rusher. Has nothing to do with the preseason. Now if you want to talk about his ability against the run that's a different story
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#37 » by LUKE23 » Fri Sep 4, 2015 2:29 pm

Jones had what, 1.5 sacks last year? And from all reports, didn't work as hard in the offseason as hoped, in addition to getting suspended. I am by no means marking him down as a dynamic pass rusher until he actually becomes one.

Packers were 13th in sack percentage last year, and that's with Matthews at OLB for roughly half the season. Peppers is a year older and Matthews is playing more downs inside. I think best case we are an average pass rushing team overall. I certainly don't see a strong pass rushing roster.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#38 » by RRyder823 » Fri Sep 4, 2015 2:45 pm

LUKE23 wrote:

Jones had what, 1.5 sacks last year? And from all reports, didn't work as hard in the offseason as hoped, in addition to getting suspended. I am by no means marking him down as a dynamic pass rusher until he actually becomes one.

Packers were 13th in sack percentage last year, and that's with Matthews at OLB for roughly half the season. Peppers is a year older and Matthews is playing more downs inside. I think best case we are an average pass rushing team overall. I certainly don't see a strong pass rushing roster.

Pressures by pass attempt is a better way to gauge a players pass rush then just pure sack numbers and if I'm not mistaken Jones was pretty good in that regard. Admittedly I haven't looked at the numbers in a few months and honestly I'm just to lazy to do it right now
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#39 » by crkone » Fri Sep 4, 2015 3:21 pm

Jones was tied for 15th in the league in PRP (Sacks+.75xHits+.75xHurries/Total pass rush snaps) at the 3-4 end position (2 downed lineman in our scheme) and Daniels was 6th. Matthews was still 15th in the league at OLB while playing some time at ILB. Peppers was average and Neal/Perry were below average (after being average the year before). The Pack also blitz a ton because they'll have the coverage to back them up. So to wrap that up, they'll get damn good rush from their downed lineman, average to above average rush (after a down year) from their OLBs with a decent amount of blitzing (37% of the time last year). They Packers were 5th in the league in PRP last season when they didn't blitz.

This isn't even mentioned growth from Elliot, Mulumba, and Pennel.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |

Return to Green Bay Packers