Packers vs Chiefs Lead up

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Re: Packers vs Chiefs Lead up 

Post#21 » by HKPackFan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:41 am

Yay Joe Thomas is back!!!!

I was also a fan thinking he had potential. Him and Jake Ryan had a nice little tag team going in the preseason.

I'm also done wondering about the 53rd roster spot. I've been curious who would get cut when Jones came back and now when Guion comes back next week, but I realize that's more speculation forthe summer.

I forgot how violent football is and that last spot is dependent on attrition and injuries. First Barrington now boyd. Let's hope next week the IR trend stops.
#FreeChuckDiesel
James1980
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#22 » by James1980 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:52 pm

Anybody else think we'll be the team to let a KC WR score a touchdown?
NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:I overlook foolishness.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,253

Post#23 » by Mags FTW » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:53 pm

Beware of "The Seahawks Hangover".

Teams are 8-21-1 the week after playing Seattle.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,253

Post#24 » by Mags FTW » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:56 pm

James1980 wrote:Anybody else think we'll be the team to let a KC WR score a touchdown?

I'm more concerned about giving up 3 to Kelce.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,779

Post#25 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:04 pm

Cohen

Here are a few things I noticed when watching tape of the game between the Seattle Seahawks and the Green Bay Packers:

The return of starting safety Morgan Burnett, whose calf injury sidelined him in the season opener against the Chicago Bears, restored a sense of normalcy to the back end of the defense. Burnett and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix manned the safety positions, while Casey Hayward and Sam Shields started at cornerback. Micah Hyde, who filled in for Burnett at safety against the Bears, returned to his familiar slot position in the nickel defense, while rookie Damarious Randall was part of the dime. Randall and Shields played on the perimeter in the dime defense, which allowed Hayward and Hyde to occupy the slots. Second-round pick Quinten Rollins was not part of the 46-man active roster.

Inactive against the Bears, linebacker Andy Mulumba played his first regular season game since Sept. 14, 2014, after which he was placed on injured reserve with a knee injury that cost him 16 games. Interestingly, Mulumba was slotted fourth on the outside linebacker depth chart behind only Julius Peppers, Mike Neal and Nick Perry. He took the field ahead of Jayrone Elliott, who was active over Mulumba against the Bears but entered Sunday nursing a quadriceps injury. Mulumba lined up opposite Perry following a double linebacker substitution on the second defensive possession. He sliced inside to combine with Clinton-Dix for a tackle of Marshawn Lynch on the first play from scrimmage. In all, Mulumba played 10 snaps on defense and three on special teams, where he filled in for tailback James Starks.

One of the more successful running plays used by the Packers on Sunday began with a trio of receivers to one side of the formation, the deepest of which was a tight end. On the snap, the offensive line crashed down a man toward the side of the field with the three receivers. As the line moved laterally, the tight end broke off from the other two receivers and sprinted back across the formation to pick up the unblocked defensive lineman or linebacker. The tailback followed the movement of the defensive linemen and hoped to find a hole as he moved toward the perimeter. The Packers used this play at least three times throughout the game, twice with Richard Rodgers and once with Andrew Quarless. It sprung James Starks for a 35-yard run down the right sideline in the third quarter and later allowed him to pick up a key first down.

On the touchdown drive that put the Packers ahead in the fourth quarter, the versatility of Randall Cobb and Ty Montgomery was on display. Cobb lined up in the left slot, the right slot and in the backfield during that possession — he caught three passes — while Montgomery began plays in either slot and offset in the backfield. Montgomery, who also caught three passes on the drive, said the four-wide receiver sets with he and Cobb moving around the offense is something the Packers have been working on and discussing for a while.

Called out for its porous play against the Bears and tailback Matt Forte, the Packers’ defensive line responded with a strong effort against the Seahawks. Particularly impressive was nose tackle B.J. Raji, who dominated center Drew Nowak throughout the game. Raji consistently generated pressure through the middle to disrupt Lynch, and both of his tackles resulted in negative yardage. He crashed through the middle — and over Nowak — on a play early in the second quarter to drag down Lynch by his left ankle. Later, in the third quarter, Raji flushed quarterback Russell Wilson out to his right for a play that resulted in a sack for Julius Peppers. Even when he wasn’t making tackles, Raji bothered the rhythm of the offense. Coach Mike McCarthy called it arguably Raji’s best game in a Packers uniform.

Also criticized for his performance against the Bears, and more specifically for a poor display of tackling, was Clinton-Dix. But against the Seahawks he was an efficient tackler at best and decent at worst, finishing with a team-high nine tackles including seven solo stops. Perhaps his best tackle came in the first quarter, when he burst through the line of scrimmage to bottle up Lynch, along with defensive end Mike Daniels, for a 2-yard gain. But the improvement in tackling was offset by two dropped interceptions, both of which should have been caught. “Those are plays that I have to make, and if I want to be one of the great safeties in the league I’ve got to make those plays,” Clinton-Dix said after the game. “Fortunately I was there at the right time, I just have to make those plays and finish.”

While the Packers did a terrific job engulfing Lynch, who finished with a lowly 2.7 yards per carry average on 15 attempts, their efforts against Wilson were much less effective. A shift in game plan by the Seahawks in the second half took the ball away from Lynch and kept it in Wilson’s hand, allowing the quarterback to get outside the pocket on bootlegs and zone read plays. Wilson, slippery and elusive, churned out 78 yards on the ground to lead the Seahawks, pecking away at the Packers’ defense to the tune of 7.8 yards per carry. Even when the Packers faced one-on-one opportunities against Wilson, like defensive end Mike Pennel did late in the third quarter, he wriggled away for a solid gain. What could have been a sack by Pennel turned into a 7-yard gain. Mulumba also whiffed in the open field.

Despite playing 28% of the offensive snaps against the Seahawks, tight end Andrew Quarless did not catch a pass for the second consecutive game. With his playing time usurped by Richard Rodgers, who caught three passes for 23 yards and a touchdown Sunday, Quarless has been reduced to an afterthought. The snap count ratio between Rodgers and Quarless was more than 2:1 against the Seahawks, with Rodgers playing 46 snaps to Quarless’ 20. Through two games, Quarless has yet to be targeted by quarterback Aaron Rodgers. There were only two games all of last season in which Quarless did not catch a pass.

The Packers continued to mix and match their personnel in the front portion of the dime defense Sunday, rotating linemen and linebackers throughout the game. In a formation that employs two defensive linemen, three linebackers and six defensive backs, the Packers have the luxury of using different combinations along the line of scrimmage. Datone Jones, back from suspension, was used frequently with his hand in the dirt, as was Peppers, who sometimes reverts to his old defensive line position in obvious passing situations. With Jones and Peppers along the line, Perry, Mike Neal and Clay Matthews were the three linebackers in that particular personnel group. Matthews, who again played 100% of the defensive snaps, lined up as an inside linebacker
Jones was active in his return from suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. He finished with two tackles, including one tackle for loss, and a pair of hits on the quarterback Wilson. But what really caught my attention was a tackle on Lynch early in the third quarter. Offensive tackle Garry Gilliam lunged toward Jones’ leg to attempt a cut block at the line of scrimmage, but Jones hurdled him and launched into the backfield. He dragged down Lynch for a loss of 1 yard in what was a terrific display of athleticism.

The hard count from Rodgers changed the complexion of the first half by resulting in multiple “free plays” in which the offense could take a shot down the field knowing it had an offside penalty as a safety net. So effective was Rodgers at tormenting the Seahawks that on the first possession of the game he forced both defensive ends to jump offside on the same play. Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril shot into the neutral zone as if in unison and Rodgers, buoyed by the prospect of a 5-yard penalty in his back pocket, zinged a pass over the middle to Cobb for 22 yards.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,168

Post#26 » by Iheartfootball » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:05 pm

James1980 wrote:Anybody else think we'll be the team to let a KC WR score a touchdown?

Of course they will. There is something in the water in WI that makes the sports teams the answer to trivia questions.

I'm gearing up for a close one that the Packers lose but I won't lose sleep over it. KC is a good team and that defense is better than the Seahawks. They gave that game away last week to Payton. They should be fired up.

Now if the Packers win. I will gladly eat crow.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,236

Post#27 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:07 pm

A dynamic back like Charles and a QB not prone to mistakes like Smith is a bit concerning. Playing at home helps, but we need to be careful to not let them do to us what Chicago did, which was control the clock and (until the end) play mistake free.
Do it for Chuck
A Diddy2231
Analyst
And1: 106

Post#28 » by A Diddy2231 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:17 pm

That steger quoted signature is funny. For the game, I like the Packers, but as many have stated, the Chiefs have the team to beat us. Hell, they're the team who showed the league how to stop our offense back in 2011.
Johnny wrote:You betrayed me! You're not good. You, you're just a chicken. Chip-chip-chip-chip-cheep-cheep.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,712

Post#29 » by Ayt » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:43 pm

The Packers are going for their 11th straight win at home.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,270

Post#30 » by WiscoKing13 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:25 pm

I don't want to sound like one of those crazy homers on twitter, but anyone else surprised Janis hasn't gotten a shot? The offense is clearly lacking a deep threat and while Montgomery played well on offense last game he doesn't add anything over what Cobb can do. Just seems strange we haven't tried him on a deep route vs a 3rd or 4th corner.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,270

Post#31 » by WiscoKing13 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:27 pm

1. Green Bay Packers
Of all DT/NTs with at least 30 pass-rushing snaps, B.J. Raji has the best pass-rushing productivity (12.8). He has seven pressures in the last two games, which is more than his previous 10 games combined.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/22/pff-nfl-power-rankings-for-week-3/

Stunned
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Packers vs Chiefs Lead up 

Post#32 » by HKPackFan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:47 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:I don't want to sound like one of those crazy homers on twitter, but anyone else surprised Janis hasn't gotten a shot? The offense is clearly lacking a deep threat and while Montgomery played well on offense last game he doesn't add anything over what Cobb can do. Just seems strange we haven't tried him on a deep route vs a 3rd or 4th corner.

I like janis and hope he will provide the deep threat similar to jordy with his size and speed, but honestly prefer JJ and Adams outside and ty and cobb inside. I have more faith in JJ on a back shoulder throw and winning contested balls. I don't know if I trust janis with those 2 things.
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#33 » by HKPackFan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:49 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:1. Green Bay Packers
Of all DT/NTs with at least 30 pass-rushing snaps, B.J. Raji has the best pass-rushing productivity (12.8). He has seven pressures in the last two games, which is more than his previous 10 games combined.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/22/pff-nfl-power-rankings-for-week-3/

Stunned

The man is working toward an 8 to 10 million dollar pay day. What a great start he could be our comeback player of the year.
#FreeChuckDiesel
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#34 » by emunney » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:53 am

Montgomery doing the kinds of things Cobb does is a GOOD thing.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,671

Post#35 » by jimmybones » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:19 am

emunney wrote:Montgomery doing the kinds of things Cobb does is a GOOD thing.

That 4 WR, 1 TE set during that last drive where they rotated Cobb, Ty and TE in the backfield was disgustingly awesome. Using Cobb out of the backfield is such a cool wrinkle, having his bigger and stronger doppelgänger on the other side of the field is pretty fap worthy.

17-18---88-89
12--82

Yes, please.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#36 » by HKPackFan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:43 am

jimmybones wrote:
emunney wrote:Montgomery doing the kinds of things Cobb does is a GOOD thing.

That 4 WR, 1 TE set during that last drive where they rotated Cobb, Ty and TE in the backfield was disgustingly awesome. Using Cobb out of the backfield is such a cool wrinkle, having his bigger and stronger doppelgänger on the other side of the field is pretty fap worthy.

17-18---88-89
12--82

Yes, please.

Yes it was the greatest thing ever. I love them being creative and using their assets and playmakers. There's so many things they can do in that alignment. It was orgasmic.
#FreeChuckDiesel
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,236

Post#37 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:30 am

A Diddy2231 wrote:That steger quoted signature is funny. For the game, I like the Packers

I can't talk about that right now, anyways how is your sex life?
Do it for Chuck
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,869

Post#38 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:46 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:I don't want to sound like one of those crazy homers on twitter, but anyone else surprised Janis hasn't gotten a shot? The offense is clearly lacking a deep threat and while Montgomery played well on offense last game he doesn't add anything over what Cobb can do. Just seems strange we haven't tried him on a deep route vs a 3rd or 4th corner.

If Janis isn't getting reps, it's safe to say that he hasn't earned his way onto the field at this point. Rodgers is very, very hesitant to even target guys who don't run precise routes and can't be trusted to be where he expects them to be on a snap to snap basis.

Janis could get there, but my guess is he isn't there quite yet.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,869

Post#39 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:48 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:1. Green Bay Packers

Stunned

It's 2010 Raji that we're seeing out there. He's been beastly. I love it.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#40 » by HKPackFan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:15 am

I'm thinking a close one at home 23-20 or 23-17. I think we miss a 100% healthy battering ram Lacy in this game.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-next-opponent-kansas-city-chiefs-scouting-report-b99582127z1-328766561.html

Receivers

Travis Kelce (6-5, 260), a third-round pick in 2013, emerged last season as one of the NFL's best young tight ends. He's a vertical threat who seems to play even faster than he timed (4.63). He has improved his hands noticeably since a checkered collegiate career at Cincinnati; his blocking is marginal. Because his WRs are so mundane, Reid also makes extensive use of TEs James O'Shaughnessy (6-4, 245), a rookie from Illinois State, and Demetrius Harris (6-7, 250), a third-year pro who played basketball at UW-Milwaukee. The Packers liked O'Shaughnessy, but after he went in the fifth round they settled on Kennard Backman in the sixth. O'Shaughnessy, who runs 4.69, is a fluid mover with receptions for 30 and 24 yards. Harris is by far the best blocker. Former Eagle Jeremy Maclin (6-0, 198) is the Chiefs' best WR in years. He has 4.44 speed, is tough for his size and doesn't drop many. WRs Albert Wilson (5-9, 200), De'Anthony Thomas (5-8½, 176), veteran Jason Avant (6-0½, 210) and rookie Chris Conley (6-2, 205) don't offer much. Wilson and Thomas are fast little specialty players, Avant is a slow, crafty slot and Conley is a talented, green third-round pick.

:eek2:

Linebackers

LOLB Justin Houston (6-3, 258) eclipsed ROLB Tamba Hali (6-3, 275) as the team's premier pass rusher with his 22-sack campaign in '14. Houston slipped to the third round in '11 because of character and maturity issues. As Houston changed his priorities, his game expanded to the point where he might be the NFL's best outside rusher. With his long arms (34½), big hands (107/8), 4.65 speed and exceptional strength, he can win inside or outside with acceleration or power. He also routinely sheds TEs in the run game. Hali, a distinguished 10-year veteran, has lost some but certainly not all of his stinger. Every now and then he still can win off the edge. His pressures come more from savvy, strength and a reckless, relentless drive to sack. OLB Dee Ford (6-2, 252), the 23rd pick in '14, is a speed rusher with a quick take-off. Ex-Packers Frank Zombo (6-3½, 254) and Dezman Moses (6-2, 249) rank No. 4 and No. 5 outside. WILB Derrick Johnson (6-3, 242) needs five tackles to break Gary Spani's club record of 999. Last year, he blew out his Achilles in Week 1. A two-time Pro Bowl pick, Johnson still has blazing speed, a nose for the ball and pass rush-cover skills. At 32, he likes taking on blocks less and less. SILB Josh Mauga (6-1½, 245) is a seventh-year journeyman with limited speed and coverage ability. He played under Sutton in New York and is assignment-sure.

Zombo and D Moses are still around!! Yay. Good for them.
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Green Bay Packers