Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: RE: Re: 49er Lead Up 

Post#81 » by El Duderino » Thu Oct 1, 2015 8:22 pm

WiscoKing13 wrote:
El Duderino wrote:
WiscoKing13 wrote:I like andrew and I understand we need the roster the spots for Guion. You have Gaston, Taylor, Banjo, and Goodson who all should be cut before you make this move.

I don't think they'd consider cutting either of Banjo and Taylor at any point. Banjo is a core ST player and with Burnett hurt last week, Banjo got snaps on defense. Taylor is the backup guard unless i missed Tretter being named the first backup at both guard and center. Hell, even if Tretter was the top backup at both spots, we'd still need another backup interior lineman.

You also have walker, who's on the FG team and I don't believe Taylor is

I'm sure any offensive lineman can play on the FG unit given defensive lineman are also on the unit, which i've never really understood.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,728

Re: 49er Lead Up 

Post#82 » by Ayt » Thu Oct 1, 2015 8:47 pm

Taylor has been inactive for 2 out of 3 games so far this year, FWIW. My guess would be that Tretter would be the one to step in at guard in the case of an injury.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,916

Post#83 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 2, 2015 2:08 am

Terry McAulay is the ref
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#84 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Oct 2, 2015 6:10 am

I get the opinion that the designation should have been saved but I'm not too worried about it. Most injuries are either season enders or 2-4 week types and they only had 4 more weeks to use it. Quarless is nothing special but is a guy who can contribute some little things later this year. Combine that with needing the roster spot for guion and I get why they did it.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,130

Post#85 » by HKPackFan » Fri Oct 2, 2015 7:48 am

With Quarless going on IR-R as discussed looks like Backmann is going to get his shot.

I thought he was kinda invisible during preseason. Sometimes you just lose guys, there's a lot of guys you are watching and I just don't remember his name popping up much. I hope he's ready. If he can stretch the field that would be a bonus, Perillo seemed to be a slow plodder with average hands, we don't need that we have Dick who's not fast but has great hands, so if Backmann has some wheels, can block, and catch let him out there a few plays in the two TE sets.

I think we will see a few more Rip/Kuhn 2 fullback sets, I saw Rip open a wide whole in that set on Monday.

I'll be rooting for Backmann:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/preparation-could-be-paying-off-for-packers-tight-end-kennard-backman-b99588508z1-330362461.html
#FreeChuckDiesel
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,149

Post#86 » by RRyder823 » Fri Oct 2, 2015 8:01 am

HKPackFan wrote:With Quarless going on IR-R as discussed looks like Backmann is going to get his shot.

I thought he was kinda invisible during preseason. Sometimes you just lose guys, there's a lot of guys you are watching and I just don't remember his name popping up much. I hope he's ready. If he can stretch the field that would be a bonus, Perillo seemed to be a slow plodder with average hands, we don't need that we have Dick who's not fast but has great hands, so if Backmann has some wheels, can block, and catch let him out there a few plays in the two TE sets.

I think we will see a few more Rip/Kuhn 2 fullback sets, I saw Rip open a wide whole in that set on Monday.

[url]http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/preparation-could-be-paying-off-for-packers-tight-end-kennard-backman-b99588508z1-330362461.html[/url]

If he had all three he'd would've been playing the first 3 weeks. He can run but whether he can run good routes is another question. Not all concerned about his hands but let's just say blocking was definitely not a strength of his comming out.

I do like the kid but I looked at him as a project when we took him so I wouldn't expect to much from him this early.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#87 » by HKPackFan » Fri Oct 2, 2015 8:14 am

Article on Joe Thomas and the need for a dime LB.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2015/10/01/packers-turn-thomas-fill-niche/73144650/

I'm kinda excited about this. The entire preseason most of our ILBs looked BLAH. And part of that was watching the Eagles kill us against Barrington. Even without that I thought they looked like the biggest weakness on the defense.

Except in the 4th quarter they lined up Joe Thomas and Jake Ryan together and both guys added some nice POP to the middle of the defense. Both seemed to knife through traffic and get some nice quick hits. Now I watched Jake Ryan much more closely than Joe Thomas, but even without trying to watch Joe, he always seemed to be around the ball, so he ended up catching my eye as well. Again I was holding back my excitement because both guys were going against 4th stringers many of whom will not be playing football in September. Yet still the fact Joe showed something got me excited and I felt pretty bad he was cut over a project draft pick like Bradford who has yet to show anything.

So to see Joe Thomas go from cut, to on the 53 to playing on Sunday in the dime was pretty exciting!

He still needs to do a better job, he let Jamal Charles get the better of him a couple times. He may not be the answer, at best he could help solidify our dime package to control the RBs and TEs and underneath stuff and allow Claymaker to get sacks, at worst he could be the second coming of Brad Jones (which is a low I hope we never see ever again in my lifetime).

The article mentions Sean Richardson as a possible dime LB option, which in previous years I was intrigued by the possibility, but I can't recall which preseason game it was, but they put Sean in a similar role and he flat out missed every important tackle. Sean may be a heavier safety but if they guy can't wrap up, then it's a waste of time to think about him as the dime LB.

As the article mentions Clay might need to be the dime ILB spy standing in the middle waiting for that speedy Kaeperdick to run. I would only trust Clay to have the speed to bring him down, I don't want to see one of our slower guys looking sad and pathetic and unable to keep up.

But for future games I'd like to see if Joe Thomas can help in that Dime LB spot, allow clay to get pressure on obvious passing downs, and just stop the underneath stuff that has been a curse in our D what seems like for a decade or more.
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#88 » by HKPackFan » Fri Oct 2, 2015 8:25 am

RRyder823 wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:With Quarless going on IR-R as discussed looks like Backmann is going to get his shot.

[url]http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/preparation-could-be-paying-off-for-packers-tight-end-kennard-backman-b99588508z1-330362461.html[/url]

If he had all three he'd would've been playing the first 3 weeks. He can run but whether he can run good routes is another question. Not all concerned about his hands but let's just say blocking was definitely not a strength of his comming out.

I do like the kid but I looked at him as a project when we took him so I wouldn't expect to much from him this early.

I think you are right, he's a project that might have some potential but isn't ready yet. But I think going into the season one area we all discussed over the summer was the lack of TE depth and now we are seeing it. Quarless is down for 8 weeks and Backmann is the best of the rest. He's better than Perillo who's on the PS. Harold Spears we cut and never brought back. We picked up Blake Annen on the PS a day or two ago who we know nothing about. So Backmann is pretty much all we got at this point.

I'm not sure if it means they will delete the two-TE set out of the playbook (not including the one where they use Walker as the extra TE) until quarless returns, but I have a feeling Backmann may get a few snaps unless they see in practice he doesn't know what the heck he's doing.
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#89 » by HKPackFan » Fri Oct 2, 2015 9:23 am

Sorry for bombarding the forum, but I'm back from vacation and excited about all the Packers stuff going on right now!!

Article on Elliott:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2015/10/01/elliott-pushing-playing-time/73144120/

A year ago at this time, Jayrone Elliott was fulfilling all the duties required of the new outside linebacker on the block.

With the Green Bay Packers enjoying their healthiest season on record under coach Mike McCarthy, the undrafted rookie’s responsibilities rarely deviated from his work on special teams and occasionally delivering food for veterans Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers before flights to road games.

HAHAHA!

Elliott needs to be on the field more for 2 reasons:
#1 He's making plays, he needs more PT for a chance to make more plays!
#2 We are going to lose 1-3 OLBs next year, we need to see if this guy can be a solid replacement!!

There's a good chance both Nick Perry and Mike Neal are gone next year. They are kinda like last year's Davon House. They show great potential, have good size, flash ability, but they are hurt often. Also their performances are inconsistent.

Pass rushing ability is a premium, so all it takes is 1 team to offer big $$$$ and these guys will get a fat contract the Packers won't afford and move on. Since neither Perry or Neal are very old I'm sure some teams will take a gamble and give them some pretty good coin. Both were high draft picks so I could see other teams big fairly interested.

There's also the risk of losing Peppers. He could retire or become too expensive for his final year (cap value: $10.5 M) may be too expensive for his final year.

In that worse case we lose 3 OLBs in one offseason.

My hope is Peppers gets back to making big plays and shows he's worth keeping around a final year and we lose maybe one of Neal or Perry and the other doesn't get much of a look and we can keep the remaining guy on the cheap.

Anyway you look at it, we need to see what Elliott can do with a bigger snap count. We can't go into 2016 down a couple OLBs finding out Elliott is only good for 15 snaps and has some major flaw like has no ability to contain the run or something like that.

So far Elliott looks like a big man who's the fastest LB on the team not named Clay Matthews. Let's see if coaches can up his snap count and see what he can do.
#FreeChuckDiesel
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,149

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 49er Lead Up 

Post#90 » by RRyder823 » Fri Oct 2, 2015 10:03 am

HKPackFan wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

I think you are right, he's a project that might have some potential but isn't ready yet. But I think going into the season one area we all discussed over the summer was the lack of TE depth and now we are seeing it. Quarless is down for 8 weeks and Backmann is the best of the rest. He's better than Perillo who's on the PS. Harold Spears we cut and never brought back. We picked up Blake Annen on the PS a day or two ago who we know nothing about. So Backmann is pretty much all we got at this point.

I'm not sure if it means they will delete the two-TE set out of the playbook (not including the one where they use Walker as the extra TE) until quarless returns, but I have a feeling Backmann may get a few snaps unless they see in practice he doesn't know what the heck he's doing.

I agree with your assessment
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#91 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 2, 2015 12:02 pm

MM yesterday

(On Guion) Looks good. Strength and conditioning in excellent shape. We'll see how he looks.
(On rust) He's played a lot of football. It's important to cut him loose. It's a fair question.

(On returns) Been good. Not a lot of opportunities. When we have been able to get it outside the 20. Blocking has been excellent. Good technique and fundamentals. Special teams is a big challenge as we all know. Credit to coaches we have gotten off to a good start.

(On energy this week) Been great. Huge mental preparation for us. Big hurdle for us. Playing football team that played very, very well at home. Huge challenge for us.

(On rushing Kaepernick) That's a challenge each and every week. He can make so many plays with his feet.

(On combining QB and WR rooms) It's organizing your staff. It's something been in place a number of years. Wanted to make sure same message from coaches is the same.

(On Eddie Lacy) I went off recommendations of medical staff. Those really decisions I don't get involved in unless crunch time. He wouldn't have been active if he wasn't ready to play. We hit the target of how we wanted to use our running backs.

(On "free" plays) There's so much variance with cadence. He's improved with it. It's not just him, it's the whole unit. It's something that' practiced. Great work for our defense. It's good to be part of those plays, it's a form of a scramble drill.

(On defensive offsides) Definitely, Aaron is outstanding with the variation. He does a phenomenal job with that.

(On Burnett) Getting better. Going to meetings and see how he moves in pre-practice.

(On Vaughters) He had a biceps injury.

(On usng IR/DTR on Quarless) He's a core player for us. You want to make sure he gets back. He's a starter. We don't have 11 starters on offense and defense. I'm glad we have that. I'd rather use it than not use it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#92 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 2, 2015 12:03 pm

Neither Adams or Burnett practiced yesterday.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#93 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 2, 2015 12:04 pm

Weather forecast for game, 70 and sunny.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#94 » by crkone » Fri Oct 2, 2015 12:15 pm

El Duderino wrote:
WiscoKing13 wrote:
El Duderino wrote:
I don't think they'd consider cutting either of Banjo and Taylor at any point. Banjo is a core ST player and with Burnett hurt last week, Banjo got snaps on defense. Taylor is the backup guard unless i missed Tretter being named the first backup at both guard and center. Hell, even if Tretter was the top backup at both spots, we'd still need another backup interior lineman.

You also have walker, who's on the FG team and I don't believe Taylor is

I'm sure any offensive lineman can play on the FG unit given defensive lineman are also on the unit, which i've never really understood.

Remember when Sitton and Lang were out of the FG unit last year? Crosby ended up getting his extra points blocked.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#95 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 2, 2015 5:17 pm

The following is a summary of Packers coach Mike McCarthy's press conference Friday morning. The team plays the San Francisco 49ers Sunday on the West Coast:

--(On WR Davante Adams) "Slight (chance to play). He's going to have to jump through some hoops tomorrow."

--(On S Morgan Burnett) "He's definitely closer. Everyone will travel except Bryan Bulaga."

--(On LB Jake Ryan) Said he had no timeline on his return from a hamstring injury.

--(On travel plans) Team will depart Friday at 4 p.m. The Packers will practice Saturday but McCarthy wouldn't say where.

--(On using three timeouts early in the second half against Kansas City) "We had a formation error on special teams. We had two situations where things were happening at the line of scrimmage on offense from an adjustment standpoint. It's not where we want to be. Clearly."

--(On penalties; the Packers rank 29th in penalty avoidance with 28 following Tampa Bay (33), Oakland (33) and Buffalo (30): "The whole league is up right now. I think you have to acknowledge that. The pre-snap penalties are too high. We've got to do a better job there. The combative penalties ... are all part of the fundamental development you go through early in a season. I do think that's rather normal to what we've encountered in the past."
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#96 » by WiscoKing13 » Fri Oct 2, 2015 8:52 pm

crkone wrote:
El Duderino wrote:
WiscoKing13 wrote:You also have walker, who's on the FG team and I don't believe Taylor is

Remember when Sitton and Lang were out of the FG unit last year? Crosby ended up getting his extra points blocked.

Last game I actually looked at the line up the FG team, all starters on the O line appear to be out there beside Lindsey. Walker and Raji also on the line .
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#97 » by HKPackFan » Sat Oct 3, 2015 1:40 am

Let davante sit and roll with ty. Janis is fine at #4. I want davante's ankle healed up as much as possible. Those high ankle sprains can take a while. I don't mind shutting him down for 2-4 weeks if the other WRs stay healthy.
#FreeChuckDiesel
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#98 » by WiscoKing13 » Sat Oct 3, 2015 2:52 pm

Go take a look at the 49ers front 7, after the last 2 weeks this is like a bye week for the oline.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#99 » by crkone » Sat Oct 3, 2015 5:50 pm

HKPackFan wrote:Let davante sit and roll with ty. Janis is fine at #4. I want davante's ankle healed up as much as possible. Those high ankle sprains can take a while. I don't mind shutting him down for 2-4 weeks if the other WRs stay healthy.

Davante said himself it wasn't a high ankle sprain. He should be good to go soon enough.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,625

Post#100 » by StickeeFingaz » Sat Oct 3, 2015 9:03 pm

With Davante Adams doubtful for tomorrow, the Packers have promoted WR Jared Abbrederis from the practice squad, per source.

Per Field Yates

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Green Bay Packers