ImageImage

ATL: Week 4

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,004

Re: ATL: Week 4 

Post#101 » by rilamann » Wed Oct 7, 2015 12:23 am

MikeIsGood wrote:Everyone is saying how crazy this is and no one knew the rule. Swear I knew it, and called it as soon as it happened. I don't mean this for a pat on the back, but I can't believe the response to this. Didn't this happen like 4 years ago?

The argument that is killing me is how some people are saying the official who is paid to officiate should get a pass on this because the Lions and a majority of fans didn't know the rule either...lol.

I didn't know the rule but when it happened but my initial reaction was ''is that legal?''

I knew obviously that if the ball rolls or inadvertently gets knocked out of the back end zone in that situation it's a touchback,but it didn't seem right that the defense could gain position by intentionally knocking a fumble out of the back of the end zone.If the offense fumbles the ball anywhere else on the field,the defense can't gain possession by intentionally batting or knocking it out of bounds without establishing possession.So why should intentionally knocking the ball out of the back of the end zone be different?

That was my thinking but I didn't know that it was indeed the rule.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#102 » by Profound23 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 1:46 am

humanrefutation wrote:By the way, **** THIS GUY for trying to make himself part of a story that had nothing to do with him. **** him.

"He was a mentor of mine," Easley said by phone from his home near Los Angeles.

Well that explains everything.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#103 » by emunney » Wed Oct 7, 2015 3:18 am

Lay off Easley. That **** was entirely on Goodell.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#104 » by El Duderino » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:47 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:I get the spirit of the rule and I've never been one of those people to ask "why does this rule exist?" because in many cases, the rule exists for a very obvious reason. The rule should exist and be called whenever fit.

In this case, Wright batting the ball meant nothing in a vacuum (assuming this penalty didn't exist). It's like a holding penalty at the 50 yard-line as a guy is crossing the goal-line. That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point: that game was over. The ball was going to bounce OOB or Wright could have just dove towards the ball, because at worst, he "accidentally" knocks the ball OOB for a touchback.

If the idea of a penalty is to punish a team for gaining an advantage...there was really no advantage gained here. Of course, that could be said about plenty of penalties called, which is not why I'm arguing this in general...but this ref is sitting in Seattle and this penalty is rarely called/used and is a complete "judgment" call anyways. It's never possible to actually prove somebody's intent anyways.

I'd be more ok with the ref not calling the penalty if say a few players were diving on the ground for the ball and Wright's hand pushed the ball out of bounds in a manner which was likely on purpose, but at least some slight argument could be made that it was on accident.

In this case, Wright was standing all alone with nobody near him and he without any question pushed the ball out of bounds on purpose, So your whole spirit of the rule or his doing this didn't change the outcome of the game goes out the window for me.

In an earlier post, you tried making some basketball analogies of refs usually not wanting to decide a key game late with a call.

If a player takes 3 1/2 steps on a last second fast break layup with nobody around him in a tie game, then fine don't call it even if technically that's a travel. If he takes six steps though with everyone watching, it has to be called.

If a last second jumper likely won't go in and a big man swats it anyways at the rim in what technically could be called a goaltending, i can accept not calling it. If the goaltending though is so blatantly obvious, it has to be called, regardless if the shot had little chance of going in.

What Wright did was so blatant and all by himself with the ref staring right at the act, i simply have a hard time believing him when he said after the game that he thought it was inadvertent. He had to perfect of a view to believe that, which is why i think he lied in his explanation after the fact to cover up for whatever made him not throw the flag, be it he forgot the rule at that exact moment or just froze up. He couldn't say that was the case if it was.
rilamann
RealGM

Post#105 » by rilamann » Wed Oct 7, 2015 5:04 am

I'm starting to think the whole 12th man thing in Seattle might not actually be in reference to their fans.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,141
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#106 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Oct 7, 2015 2:40 pm

El Duderino wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:I get the spirit of the rule and I've never been one of those people to ask "why does this rule exist?" because in many cases, the rule exists for a very obvious reason. The rule should exist and be called whenever fit.

In this case, Wright batting the ball meant nothing in a vacuum (assuming this penalty didn't exist). It's like a holding penalty at the 50 yard-line as a guy is crossing the goal-line. That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point: that game was over. The ball was going to bounce OOB or Wright could have just dove towards the ball, because at worst, he "accidentally" knocks the ball OOB for a touchback.

If the idea of a penalty is to punish a team for gaining an advantage...there was really no advantage gained here. Of course, that could be said about plenty of penalties called, which is not why I'm arguing this in general...but this ref is sitting in Seattle and this penalty is rarely called/used and is a complete "judgment" call anyways. It's never possible to actually prove somebody's intent anyways.

I'd be more ok with the ref not calling the penalty if say a few players were diving on the ground for the ball and Wright's hand pushed the ball out of bounds in a manner which was likely on purpose, but at least some slight argument could be made that it was on accident.

In this case, Wright was standing all alone with nobody near him and he without any question pushed the ball out of bounds on purpose, So your whole spirit of the rule or his doing this didn't change the outcome of the game goes out the window for me.

In an earlier post, you tried making some basketball analogies of refs usually not wanting to decide a key game late with a call.

If a player takes 3 1/2 steps on a last second fast break layup with nobody around him in a tie game, then fine don't call it even if technically that's a travel. If he takes six steps though with everyone watching, it has to be called.

If a last second jumper likely won't go in and a big man swats it anyways at the rim in what technically could be called a goaltending, i can accept not calling it. If the goaltending though is so blatantly obvious, it has to be called, regardless if the shot had little chance of going in.

What Wright did was so blatant and all by himself with the ref staring right at the act, i simply have a hard time believing him when he said after the game that he thought it was inadvertent. He had to perfect of a view to believe that, which is why i think he lied in his explanation after the fact to cover up for whatever made him not throw the flag, be it he forgot the rule at that exact moment or just froze up. He couldn't say that was the case if it was.

The difference here is the Lions had less than a 5% chance of getting the ball back for a score when he batted it away. We can debate that all we want, but that is the difference between what I had said and your basketball analogies that you've thrown back. The chances of Wright just catching it, him legitimately accidentally knocking it out of bounds, the ball just bouncing out of bounds, also combined with the off-chance that it took a crazy hop and the Seahawks still jumped on it all combined were very, very high.

Of course the ref is bullshitting that he thought it was inadvertent. It was pretty blatantly obvious, but any judgment call of intent has a built-in excuse, however stupid it sounds. "Oh, I didn't think he meant to do it."

I'm not defending the call...this was just my theory as to why the ref didn't make the call. The ball took a Sunday hop right up to Wright's chest. If he had more than .00001 seconds to think about the rule in existence, he probably would have just caught it like 99% of any human that has ever played a sport in his or her life easily could do. If he somehow missed, his momentum would have pushed it out of the endzone.

But again...I think it should have been called. All I was doing was trying to explain why I think the ref decided not to make the call in the .5 seconds he had to make it. Your theory a few pages back was also plausible. I was just adding my personal idea as to why it might not have been called.

Dilfer was on the local radio here yelling that on the Wilson fumble/score, there were 2 holding calls downfield against the Lions that the refs didn't throw the flag on, because Wilson wasn't even close to looking their way and was about to get stripped. His argument was that we've always accepted that games are called by "the spirit of the game" in cases like that because the call didn't affect the outcome of the play in high likelihood. If not, his claim was that the games would be 5 hours long with 50+ penalties called.

Do I agree with that? Not completely...but that's somewhat in line with what I was saying. You can't tell me as an unbiased fan - pretending that you have no rooting interest in that game and pretending that for a second, that rule doesn't exist - that the Lions had any chance at recovering that ball anyways once it took a Sunday hop up to Wright's chest.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,869

Post#107 » by humanrefutation » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:56 pm

emunney wrote:Lay off Easley. That **** was entirely on Goodell.

Nah. It would be one thing if Easley was contrite or otherwise silent on the issue. I could move on fairly swiftly, as I have from all of the other officials involved in that debacle. But that piece of **** has used his **** up in every conceivable way to try to earn some limelight. He deserves every ounce of crap he gets.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,543

Post#108 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:23 pm

He still regularly gets emails and phone calls wishing him to die, and of course he previously has received actual death threats. He also got divorced and has been in and out of therapy since it all happened. He deserves that crap? I think it's time (collectively) to let go.

Being pissed is one thing, but come on.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,781

Post#109 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:59 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:He still regularly gets emails and phone calls wishing him to die, and of course he previously has received actual death threats. He also got divorced and has been in and out of therapy since it all happened. He deserves that crap? I think it's time (collectively) to let go.

It's amazing how petty some fans are year later. It's a game and the guy didn't intentionally screw us over. Yeah, he should never ref again but you don't need to want the guys life ruined.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,869

Re: RE: Re: ATL: Week 4 

Post#110 » by humanrefutation » Thu Oct 8, 2015 12:05 am

MikeIsGood wrote:He still regularly gets emails and phone calls wishing him to die, and of course he previously has received actual death threats. He also got divorced and has been in and out of therapy since it all happened. He deserves that crap? I think it's time (collectively) to let go.

Fair enough. I certainly don't think he deserves threats or any of those things. That's way over the top.

But I find it hard to "move on" when he continually inserts himself into stories like this. None of the other officials involved in that debacle find themselves giving quotes to reporters or continuing to insist that they were correct. None of them are pursuing book deals, speaking engagements, or are autographing photos of the incident for profit.

So, I'm not inclined to avoid criticizing him when he seems to love to pull the scab off of that wound over and over again.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,253

Post#111 » by Mags FTW » Thu Oct 8, 2015 12:53 am

That dude was soaking up the fame and tried to capitalize on it by writing a book. I have no sympathy for him.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#112 » by HKPackFan » Thu Oct 8, 2015 2:05 am

The Giants signed myles white off their PS onto their 53.

Noooooooo! We lost myles white forever.

Damn you giants! Damn you!!

Weird how that whole thing turned out huh....

Or I wonder if giants front office thought. ...how many expacker wrs are we gonna miss out on! Bring him up!
#FreeChuckDiesel
rilamann
RealGM

Post#113 » by rilamann » Thu Oct 8, 2015 5:47 am

Mags FTW wrote:That dude was soaking up the fame and tried to capitalize on it by writing a book. I have no sympathy for him.

Anyone who has sympathy for that guy is gullible as hell.

Return to Green Bay Packers