OT - London trying to get NFL Franchise

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,126

Re: RE: Re: OT - London trying to get NFL Franchise 

Post#21 » by RRyder823 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 10:33 am

HKPackFan wrote:[url]http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/07/24/nfl-future-europe[/url]

Good article on NFL future in Europe and London.

Really a great article. Seems like they're doing the right things to grow in trestle in the sport and it is working.

Still not enough for a London team within 5 years though. 15-20 maybe which is actually better then I would've though before reading it
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,777

Re: OT - London trying to get NFL Franchise 

Post#22 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 7, 2015 11:51 am

I'd love to go over there for the Pack/Jags game next year.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#23 » by HKPackFan » Wed Oct 7, 2015 2:52 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I'd love to go over there for the Pack/Jags game next year.

Owner says it's never gonna happen coz packers travel so well it's one of the few games they sell out.

I was there the last time the Packers were in Jacksonville, there were at least 20k Packer fans. I'm sure it was a huge boost to the local economy. I found the city to be kinda crappy tbh. But it was a December away game so still better weather than Wisconsin so a big draw.

I'd love a London game next year but khan pretty much said no way to losing a packers game in Jax.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#24 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 7, 2015 3:22 pm

Yeah that's the rub, the Pack sells out their road games. I think the league will try to twist Jax arm because they want the Packers over there. I would have thought the Oakland game this year would have been a candidate and maybe it was but Oakland balked because they'll have a sellout.

We only go to each AFC team once every 8 years. Next year it's Tennessee besides Jax and they won't want to give up a sellout either. Neither will Philly or Washington or whichever NFC South team we get on the road. In 2017 we're at Cleveland and Pitt. 2018 at New England and Jets.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#25 » by chuckleslove » Thu Oct 8, 2015 1:14 am

HKPackFan wrote:

Owner says it's never gonna happen coz packers travel so well it's one of the few games they sell out.

I was there the last time the Packers were in Jacksonville, there were at least 20k Packer fans. I'm sure it was a huge boost to the local economy. I found the city to be kinda crappy tbh. But it was a December away game so still better weather than Wisconsin so a big draw.

I'd love a London game next year but khan pretty much said no way to losing a packers game in Jax.

My wife and I travel a lot and Jacksonville is the most boring city we have visited. We were downtown at some mall type thing on the water at 6pm on a Friday and everything had closed at 5pm. I just don't get that city at all
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#26 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Oct 8, 2015 1:35 am

How the hell did they get a Super Bowl
HKPackFan
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: OT - London trying to get NFL Franchise 

Post#27 » by HKPackFan » Thu Oct 8, 2015 2:17 am

chuckleslove wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:

My wife and I travel a lot and Jacksonville is the most boring city we have visited. We were downtown at some mall type thing on the water at 6pm on a Friday and everything had closed at 5pm. I just don't get that city at all

Pretty much the same. We got their Friday night...by Saturday noon there was nothing left to see.

You know it's bad when u walk up to the front desk of the hotel and ask the staff what we can see here and she is completely stumped like I asked her a question about calculus.

Our hotel was full of Packer fans and there was a gas station/convenience store literally 10 feet away. We went there 4 times the entire weekend and it was closed. We had to drive around to get gas and other stuff so did all the other guests. We were thinking what kind of moron has their shop closed the entire weekend with a hotel full of guests across the street when the rest of the time that area has got to be dead. There was nothing around.

We thought it was shutdown then Monday when we leave we see it opening up.

One day we were running on fumes and GPS 3 different gas stations.

The first one the pumps had been ripped out and it had the lookings of some kind of crack den. The 2nd one ended up being a dirt lot. We thought for sure we were going to be stranded, running on 0 miles for 10 minutes.

It was a dump and boring.

The stadium was decent but too big. To earn a sell out they had blue tarp all over the top sections. I've heard they now have ripped out those seats and added swimming pools or something.

Definitely not a city I would return to for a game.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,781

Post#28 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Oct 8, 2015 2:23 am

How about making a team have two homes? Have the Great Britain-Jacksonville Jaguars. Let them play 1 preseason game and 2 home games there every year to build a fan base. The owners get merchandise and ticket revenue from both markets, travel is only 3 weeks a year (2 if back to back home weeks, give opposing teams byes to recover), still have a home field advantage for the jags and the league gets a tv contract in London. Could eventually have 5 teams doing that for major cities throughout Europe/Asia and the. Rotate the Super Bowl to Europe every 3 years or so.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#29 » by HKPackFan » Thu Oct 8, 2015 2:57 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:How about making a team have two homes? Have the Great Britain-Jacksonville Jaguars. Let them play 1 preseason game and 2 home games there every year to build a fan base. The owners get merchandise and ticket revenue from both markets, travel is only 3 weeks a year (2 if back to back home weeks, give opposing teams byes to recover), still have a home field advantage for the jags and the league gets a tv contract in London. Could eventually have 5 teams doing that for major cities throughout Europe/Asia and the. Rotate the Super Bowl to Europe every 3 years or so.

Didn't the Bills do that for a while? They played 1 home game per season in Toronto? I don't see why that couldn't work.
#FreeChuckDiesel
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,283

Post#30 » by trwi7 » Thu Oct 8, 2015 3:22 am

HKPackFan wrote:Didn't the Bills do that for a while? They played 1 home game per season in Toronto? I don't see why that couldn't work.

So you don't see how a 100 mile difference and a 4,300 mile difference between the two cities doesn't work?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,850

Post#31 » by BUCKnation » Thu Oct 8, 2015 3:26 am

Bring back the Concorde jet imo.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#32 » by HKPackFan » Thu Oct 8, 2015 3:27 am

trwi7 wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:Didn't the Bills do that for a while? They played 1 home game per season in Toronto? I don't see why that couldn't work.

So you don't see how a 100 mile difference and a 4,300 mile difference between the two cities doesn't work?

I don't see how it's different than today. They are already doing it. One game per year for the last 3 years.

They just haven't added the marketing spin to give London some feeling that the Jaguars are partially a London team.
#FreeChuckDiesel
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,283

Post#33 » by trwi7 » Thu Oct 8, 2015 3:33 am

HKPackFan wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

I don't see how it's different than today. They are already doing it. One game per year for the last 3 years.

Yes, but this is 3 games per year (1 preseason, 2 regular season suggested) in addition to the 8 road games. I doubt players and coaches want 4 flights of 4,000+ miles during the regular season that take over a day and a half to complete.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#34 » by HKPackFan » Thu Oct 8, 2015 3:43 am

trwi7 wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

Yes, but this is 3 games per year (1 preseason, 2 regular season suggested) in addition to the 8 road games. I doubt players and coaches want 4 flights of 4,000+ miles during the regular season that take over a day and a half to complete.

Oh, I didn't read it carefully I thought it read 2 games: 1 preseason and 1 regular season.

Preseason shouldn't be a big deal, half those players won't be on the team and it may be their only chance to see London especially over the summer the best time of the year. I think an early preseason summer game should be ok and be a fun experience. I also think US fans are sick of paying full price for preseason games so it's not a bad idea to export 1 of them. 1 regular season game is already being done every year anyway. They can do it around bye weeks to make it easier.

I think that can be done without much change at all, since it's basically happening, it just needs to be marketed differently. A 3rd game could be tricky....Not sure how easily that would be swallowed. I'm not sure about a 3rd game, but 2 definitely.
#FreeChuckDiesel
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,126

Post#35 » by RRyder823 » Thu Oct 8, 2015 5:32 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:How about making a team have two homes? Have the Great Britain-Jacksonville Jaguars. Let them play 1 preseason game and 2 home games there every year to build a fan base. The owners get merchandise and ticket revenue from both markets, travel is only 3 weeks a year (2 if back to back home weeks, give opposing teams byes to recover), still have a home field advantage for the jags and the league gets a tv contract in London. Could eventually have 5 teams doing that for major cities throughout Europe/Asia and the. Rotate the Super Bowl to Europe every 3 years or so.

Honestly not a bad idea if only to continue to test the waters and see if they could build a fan base for a particular team
skitch815
Starter
And1: 59

Re: OT - International American football 

Post#36 » by skitch815 » Thu Oct 8, 2015 8:32 am

HKPackFan wrote:This was a fun read:

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/07/08/american-football-italy-milan-rhinos-nfl

Italian guys getting paid to play american football with pizza, coach drinking before a game, smoking at halftime...Love it.

As a person who watches american football played internationally I do love seeing the oddities of the sport at the international Level.

John Grisham wrote a (fiction) book about 10 years ago called "Playing for Pizza" about a guy that goes to play in Italy. Fun read.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,012

Post#37 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Thu Oct 8, 2015 11:44 pm

It would almost makes more sense to have 2 teams over there. They play each other twice, then their 2 other division opponents come over at the same time and stay for 2 weeks to play them. The 2 London teams come to the states for 2 weeks to play the away games in their division. Rotate back and forth for 2 weeks at a time and always send 2 teams when possible. When their division plays the AFC west for example, send the raiders and chargers to stay for 2 weeks and they play both teams.

Not perfect, but 2 makes scheduling a lot easier.

Added: plus you create and instant rivalry and the Brits can still have their local "derby matches"
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.

Return to Green Bay Packers