ImageImage

Iowa at Wisconsin

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,712

Re: Iowa at Wisconsin 

Post#81 » by Ayt » Sat Oct 3, 2015 9:09 pm

When was the last time the offense was this lacking in talent?
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#82 » by El Duderino » Sun Oct 4, 2015 12:00 am

Ayt wrote:When was the last time the offense was this lacking in talent?

Yea, it's a complete wasteland.

Zero high level talent at WR or TE..

Worst OL in a long time.

Worst group of running backs in a long time with Clement out. Deal has no big play ability and while Ogunbowale has some wiggle, he's not a big play guy either. Losing Jordan Stevenson was a killer.

Stave is Stave. Some games he'll play pretty well, but there are also always games like these where he's horrible.

Wisconsin for years while being a clear run first team, they'd still score lots of points because they'd consistently break off long runs and play action off that. Now defenses have nothing to fear. No big play ability in the running game. No serious downfield threats in the passing game. An immobile QB with very erratic accuracy.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,141
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#83 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Oct 4, 2015 1:06 am

Stave is about 100x better than this conglomerate of QBs but this year was bad:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Wisconsin_Badgers_football_team

I think this team would easily win the West with Clement. Still could, but it's been awhile since they've only had 1 good RB.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,253

Post#84 » by Mags FTW » Sun Oct 4, 2015 1:07 am

Ayt wrote:When was the last time the offense was this lacking in talent?

Between QB, RB1, and WR1, they've always had at least 1 NFL talent. Without Clement, that's a no-go.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#85 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Oct 4, 2015 1:10 am

El Duderino wrote:Losing Jordan Stevenson was a killer.

Supposedly he's redshirting this year. Last I heard, he was not healthy nor in shape.

I was skeptical early but have actually jumped on the Chryst bandwagon of late but I predict he'll be on the hot seat after next year before some good teams.

This year he has a transition year on offense and might win 8-9 against a trash schedule. Next year, a new QB and a brutal schedule. I think they'll start to compete again in 2017, though they're still alive in the west this year.
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#86 » by GB_Packers » Sun Oct 4, 2015 1:31 am

msiris wrote:
GB_Packers wrote:Going to a spread offense or whatever isn't going to happen while Barry is here. Going to be awhile before we see that. It seemed it might have been incorporated a bit if Andersen had stuck around and got his QB but thats a thing of the past.
I am not talking about the spread. Just recruit a good QB. Barry needs to go if he keeps hiring guys from the past as well

Yeah I realized what you meant after reading it again. I just zeroed in on modernize and thought you meant something like what most teams are doing now. I'd kill for a QB like Wilson again. That was such a fun year to watch, even though it ended crappy. A QB like that with at least one receiving threat plus this defense would be tough to beat. Instead this defense will be wasted on a team with next to no offensive threats.

Stave is what he is but when he's bad like today... :nonono:
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,869

Re: RE: Re: Iowa at Wisconsin 

Post#87 » by humanrefutation » Sun Oct 4, 2015 7:23 am

msiris wrote:This program is getting old in a hurry. Time to modernize. Start with the QB. Trying to build around the running game is a thing of the past. Need a Qb who does not have arm like a wet noddle. I have no faith in this program.

You can do both, though. Building around a great offensive line and a dynamic running game doesn't preclude the team from recruiting and developing performers at QB, WR, and TE. We've done it before. And really, you just have to be competent at those spots to do some serious damage.

It's just that this season, our offensive line has been below par and our QB/receiver combo is the worst in recent memory. That's on Andersen and Bielema, and Chryst is stuck with it for the time being.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,918

Post#88 » by midranger » Sun Oct 4, 2015 12:34 pm

It should be noted that our qb situation is actually on chryst. The two upper class men were his guys. As were the litany of failed hs recruits he brought in at after tolzien. The qb situation since tolzien (including the need subsequently for wilson's graduate transfer that obviously worked out great) is a direct reflection of Paul chryst'a very poor stretch recruiting the position. Like incredibly bad.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#89 » by El Duderino » Mon Oct 5, 2015 2:41 am

midranger wrote:It should be noted that our qb situation is actually on chryst. The two upper class men were his guys. As were the litany of failed hs recruits he brought in at after tolzien. The qb situation since tolzien (including the need subsequently for wilson's graduate transfer that obviously worked out great) is a direct reflection of Paul chryst'a very poor stretch recruiting the position. Like incredibly bad.

I won't claim to know how the coaching staff handled recruiting when Chryst was the OC, but was he really the only assistant coach who spent time recruiting quarterbacks? If so, that would be pretty odd. On most college teams, each assistant is assigned a general area of the country which they mainly recruit, regardless of position.

Either way, as much as i'd love to see someone else at QB besides Stave, the overall talent on offense right now is as weak as i can recall. Bad OL. No big play guys at RB, WR, or TE.

At the skill positions, it's hard to see a single healthy guy who could get drafted by the time they leave Wisconsin, even in say the 6th or 7th round. Clement was the only big play threat on the offense. The running game instead of being it's typical long gain at any point self, it's now truly three yards and a cloud of dust.
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#90 » by DH34Phan » Mon Oct 5, 2015 2:59 am

UW Whitewater has recruited better QBs the past 10 years.
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#91 » by GB_Packers » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:16 am

Just glad we won't have to watch another beat down from Ohio State in the B1G Championship Game. Somehow I think it would be worse than last year. Even assuming Clement would have been back by that game, the offense may have never crossed the 50 yard line.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#92 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:48 am

GB_Packers wrote:Just glad we won't have to watch another beat down from Ohio State in the B1G Championship Game. Somehow I think it would be worse than last year. Even assuming Clement would have been back by that game, the offense may have never crossed the 50 yard line.

The West is far from over no matter how **** our offensive group is.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,283

Post#93 » by trwi7 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 4:40 am

El Duderino wrote:
midranger wrote:It should be noted that our qb situation is actually on chryst. The two upper class men were his guys. As were the litany of failed hs recruits he brought in at after tolzien. The qb situation since tolzien (including the need subsequently for wilson's graduate transfer that obviously worked out great) is a direct reflection of Paul chryst'a very poor stretch recruiting the position. Like incredibly bad.

I won't claim to know how the coaching staff handled recruiting when Chryst was the OC, but was he really the only assistant coach who spent time recruiting quarterbacks? If so, that would be pretty odd. On most college teams, each assistant is assigned a general area of the country which they mainly recruit, regardless of position.

Either way, as much as i'd love to see someone else at QB besides Stave, the overall talent on offense right now is as weak as i can recall. Bad OL. No big play guys at RB, WR, or TE.

At the skill positions, it's hard to see a single healthy guy who could get drafted by the time they leave Wisconsin, even in say the 6th or 7th round. Clement was the only big play threat on the offense. The running game instead of being it's typical long gain at any point self, it's now truly three yards and a cloud of dust.

Exactly. This isn't just a QB problem, it's a whole offense problem. The O-line is awful and the skill position players are somehow even worse than the O-line. Even if you want to blame Chryst entirely for the QB situation, the O-line and skill positions aren't his fault.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#94 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 5, 2015 4:46 am

Like I said earlier in this thread...it's unfortunate, but Chryst will be on the hot seat fan-wise in about 14 months.

A boring season with no skill players this year and next year a new QB faces probably the toughest schedule I've ever seen this team have.

I really like the incoming players (still no WRs tho) and think this is a good coaching staff.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#95 » by El Duderino » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:45 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:Like I said earlier in this thread...it's unfortunate, but Chryst will be on the hot seat fan-wise in about 14 months.

A boring season with no skill players this year and next year a new QB faces probably the toughest schedule I've ever seen this team have.

I really like the incoming players (still no WRs tho) and think this is a good coaching staff.

I know that head coaches rarely ever think this way, but strictly as a fan, i'd like to see one of the younger quarterbacks play if that guy has a strong grasp of the offense just so that QB could get some experience for next year.

That said, i also get doing so could be setting that younger QB up for failure given how weak the talent around him would be.

This offense is just so blah though, it's boring as hell to watch. Even with the Badgers being a run first team for so long, it was at least great fun to watch when that run unit often punished defenses to the tune of 300, 400, and sometimes 500 plus running yards. Just gash defenses with big plays via both the run and play action.

Now, and especially with Clement out, it's a yawn fest. Even had they beat Iowa, it wouldn't have gotten me excited for next week. The shame is i like the defense.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,283

Post#96 » by trwi7 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 6:02 am

I really don't think Chryst will be on the hot seat in the next 14 months (maybe with the fans but not Alvarez, if he didn't fire Eaves after last season, he's not firing Chryst two years in). Alvarez can look at the roster and watch the games and realize there's a complete lack of quality skill players on offense. He's not stupid and he's not impatient either.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,918

Post#97 » by midranger » Mon Oct 5, 2015 10:36 am

I never implied that this was a qb only issue. Just the small correction that chryst himself had recruited the upperclassmen qbs. And yes, that was the only position chryst recruited as oc. He was the national qb recruiter. And quite honestly he was really bad at it outside of an affirmative hit with tolzien.

The oline has been decimated by attrition the past few years concussions and depression took 3 guys who would be starting along side voltz and Marz. And a couple guy's who'd be quality depth at this point. We're starting guys intended to be second or third string at this stage of their career.

The rb aituation is less explainable. Clement is decent, but there is no depth. The current guys have no game changing ability.

WR has always been some what of an issue with the out of state guys seemingly never working out. Which is a shame because we've used a ton of scholarships on this position and they all stink.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,776

Post#98 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Oct 5, 2015 11:52 am

I don't know how the rotation goes for conference games, I know they add a ninth conference game starting next year. I find it odd we have MSU and OSU next year and then neither of them in 2017.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#99 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Oct 5, 2015 12:02 pm

I just looked up UW's 2016 schedule, holy **** is that brutal. Just locking up bowl eligibility will be a solid accomplishment.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.

Return to Green Bay Packers