ImageImage

GT: Packers @ 49ers

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,270

Re: GT: Packers @ 49ers 

Post#201 » by WiscoKing13 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 12:55 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Missed most of the game. Injuries? Literally the only thing I care about.

Packers reported Richardson left with cramps and that was it. Few gasps when Cobb landed on his right shoulder, but he returned.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,654

Post#202 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Oct 5, 2015 12:57 am

Mags FTW wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Missed most of the game. Injuries? Literally the only thing I care about.

Cobb aggravated his shoulder injury, but played through it. I think that's it.

WiscoKing13 wrote:Packers reported Richardson left with cramps and that was it. Few gasps when Cobb landed on his right shoulder, but he returned.

Dope.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,253

Post#203 » by Mags FTW » Mon Oct 5, 2015 12:57 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:I'm pretty sure the D is Top 3 in the league in sacks. And that's after playing 3 mobile QBs in Wilson, Smith, and Kaep.

Really? Other than Donald i've heard a few things about quinn, but who else is a pass rushing threat?

Huh?
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,457

Post#204 » by JayMKE » Mon Oct 5, 2015 1:45 am

glad to finally slay this dragon, Kaepernick has lost it
FREE GIANNIS
Sky Bucks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,357

Post#205 » by Sky Bucks » Mon Oct 5, 2015 2:30 am

Wasn't the prettiest of wins, but a win on the road is good enough for me.
#Make'em Believe On Wisconsin
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#206 » by wichmae » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:17 am

Mags FTW wrote:
WiscoKing13 wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:I'm pretty sure the D is Top 3 in the league in sacks. And that's after playing 3 mobile QBs in Wilson, Smith, and Kaep.

Really? Other than Donald i've heard a few things about quinn, but who else is a pass rushing threat?

Huh?

STL probably has the best pas rushing d line in the NFL. Brockers, Quinn, Fairley, Long. DEEP
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#207 » by HKPackFan » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:17 am

This was an excellent character win. Winning ugly on the road.

As mentioned earlier this game had the recipe of a loss of previous years we've felt before.

Our Ferrari like offense suddenly stalls. Wrs can't get open. The oline can't block, Rodgers comes back down to earth and the running game gets stuffed or forgotten. The rest of the team lets turnover opportunities slip away and it seems we left some points off the board.

Recipe for disaster. Had the ugly feeling in my gut heading into halftime.

And to top it off normal in this scenario we play an offense that's meh a qb that's meh without a lot of weapons and our defense makes them look like all pro mvps.

I'm sure this narrative sounds familiar. But NOT this day!!

The defense stepped up its game finally figured out how to destroy the read option, took a talent Rb and gave him nothing. The defense stepped up and took over and won a game today.

You think if I said we would score only 17pts we'd walk away with a win?

TT has brought in a ton of athletic pass rushers and Capers went into attack mode. I think in previous years we never had athletic enough guys to handle fast qbs like Kaeperdick, but over the last couple years he made an effort to bring in some speed to control guys like Wilson and Colin.

Not saying our defense is awesome but today gotta give them credit for stepping up and turning a game that looked like one of our traditional losses into a victory. Excellent character win. It's good to know the defense can step up and win ugly.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#208 » by Jez2983 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:18 am

So I have been informed by the Australian media that Jarryd Hayne is the most amazing player in the NFL. Yet scanning through here you barely mention him. Don't you guys know how popular Hayne is in the US???
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,808

Post#209 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:32 am

Great game by the entire team. I can't fault the O with the line injuries at the moment.

Clay and Raji are back playing like they did in 2010. Makes a big difference to the D.

D really only had one bad play on that short handoff pass that went for 40 yards where Hayward sort of gave up and didn't contain. Shields closing on that INT was amazing.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#210 » by bigkurty » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:54 am

The sack numbers this defense is throwing up is ridiculous. We are on pace for 68 team sacks. I doubt they keep that up but if they do, that's got to be way up there on the all time rankings.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#211 » by Mags FTW » Mon Oct 5, 2015 4:07 am

bigkurty wrote:The sack numbers this defense is throwing up is ridiculous. We are on pace for 68 team sacks. I doubt they keep that up but if they do, that's got to be way up there on the all time rankings.

The ream record is 52.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#212 » by HKPackFan » Mon Oct 5, 2015 4:23 am

Jez2983 wrote:So I have been informed by the Australian media that Jarryd Hayne is the most amazing player in the NFL. Yet scanning through here you barely mention him. Don't you guys know how popular Hayne is in the US???

He's only playing special teams. Our punter was kicking out of bounds or on the edge of the sideline so he had no return opportunities, although RIP had a nice tackle one of the few times Hayne caught the ball and tried to run.

He also had the pleasure of a 3 stooges play as 1 or 2 of his player fell onto him while he tried to catch the ball and it bounced off him as the 3 of them fell on top of each other. That was fun to watch, except somehow we didn't get the ball in that scrum.

FYI for those non-NFL watchers, that's 98% his teammate's fault. The 2% is him for waving for a fair catch too late so that he had defenders on top of him and making the whole area crowded which can lead to these kinds of incidents.

It appears he's a 3rd string running back at this point and don't expect him to do much unless one of the first 2 get hurt. He might have to wait until next year with a year of NFL football under his belt before he gets an opportunity for significant playing time (again unless an injury occurs). He might have another great summer of running over players who will go back to washing dishes once the summer is over.

He still could be something with a year or two of seasoning but the problem is age is against him. Running backs usually die out around 30 years old. Although NFL running backs often have take years of pounding if you include 3-4 years of college so add 8 years of playing in the NFL their bodies begin to fail. So maybe he does have a chance to last beyond 30 years old since he doesn't have the normal wear and tear of an NFL RB. No idea the wear and tear rugby has on a player. If he loses his speed due to age then it's over. He's got to hope he improves over the next year or two and then keeps his speed and health and then have a chance to be a starting RB. It's still possible but seems the road to be a star RB in the NFL still has a ways to go.
#FreeChuckDiesel
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#213 » by El Duderino » Mon Oct 5, 2015 4:26 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Great game by the entire team. I can't fault the O with the line injuries at the moment.

Yea, pretty much any win on the road is a good win, regardless if it's less than pretty on one side of the ball.

That said, after four games i think the defense is a than i expected so far and while the offense has been productive overall, especially at not turning it over via interceptions or fumbles, i do think we miss Jordy a little bit even with the 4-0 record.

He was the one speed guy/deep threat on the roster. Cobb and Montgomery are quicker more than they are straight line fast. Jones has made plays downfield, but isn't fast either. Rogers is on the slower end of the TE scale.

I think that's part of the reason we see sometimes all receivers covered. Thankfully we have a brilliant QB who not only has elite physical skills, but mental skills also at knowing how best to the read a defense, see it's weak spots, and even if everyone is covered, buy time until someone creates space.

It's just a shame that Jordy hasn't suffered a Dez Bryant type of injury instead, to where he'd be back somewhere around game 10 and mainly be there for the playoffs.
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#214 » by DH34Phan » Mon Oct 5, 2015 4:30 am

I honestly feel like we kind of slept walk through this game due to it being a short week and our injuries. Glad we can still get a pretty easy win when we aren't playing nearly as good as we can.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#215 » by Mags FTW » Mon Oct 5, 2015 4:37 am

The defense is now 8th in yards per game, 6th in yards per play, 3rd in points per game, and 2nd in sacks; 1 behind the Broncos.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#216 » by bigkurty » Mon Oct 5, 2015 4:39 am

The offense was also kind of screwed by the refs not calling PI or illegal contact downfield. There were three plays that Cobb drew penalties on but the refs didn't throw a flag and all those drives ended with punts when we didn't get first downs.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,141
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#217 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 5, 2015 4:41 am

I almost enjoy these wins sporadically during the season. Defense looks like it has a pulse and it's one of the games where midway through the 3rd quarter they can run the ball 90% of the time the rest of the wag and hopefully avoid injury to key passing game components. We know that Rodgers can throw it all over the field if we need it. Just run the clock, get the win, and move on (relatively) healthy to the next week.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#218 » by HKPackFan » Mon Oct 5, 2015 4:45 am

bigkurty wrote:The offense was also kind of screwed by the refs not calling PI or illegal contact downfield. There were three plays that Cobb drew penalties on but the refs didn't throw a flag and all those drives ended with punts when we didn't get first downs.

I think that stuff kinda evened out. We had a couple calls and non-calls go our way early. Janis bumped the punt returner on a fair catch, Raji was offsides, and I think we had one more go our way.
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#219 » by HKPackFan » Mon Oct 5, 2015 4:55 am

El Duderino wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:Great game by the entire team. I can't fault the O with the line injuries at the moment.

Yea, pretty much any win on the road is a good win, regardless if it's less than pretty on one side of the ball.

That said, after four games i think the defense is a than i expected so far and while the offense has been productive overall, especially at not turning it over via interceptions or fumbles, i do think we miss Jordy a little bit even with the 4-0 record.

He was the one speed guy/deep threat on the roster. Cobb and Montgomery are quicker more than they are straight line fast. Jones has made plays downfield, but isn't fast either. Rogers is on the slower end of the TE scale.

I think that's part of the reason we see sometimes all receivers covered. Thankfully we have a brilliant QB who not only has elite physical skills, but mental skills also at knowing how best to the read a defense, see it's weak spots, and even if everyone is covered, buy time until someone creates space.

It's just a shame that Jordy hasn't suffered a Dez Bryant type of injury instead, to where he'd be back somewhere around game 10 and mainly be there for the playoffs.

We do miss Jordy, but in previous seasons there were times when a Dline rushes only 4 and leaves 7 in coverage all our Wrs were coverage even with Jordy.

Again, agreed that Jordy can stretch a defense as a deep threat, and is so dangerous in one on one that is forces defense to adjust, so sometimes his impact is felt by the defense giving him extra attention and giving one on one match ups to other wrs.

I think it was a tough game when teams can get pressure with only 4 or 5 and missing Jordy and Davante, and a hurt Cobb. That's our #1 and #3 out and our #2 hurt. Not a lot of teams can overcome that kind of thing. Thank goodness for James Jones. He doesn't have the speed but he's amazing at finding the ball even when he's not really open.
#FreeChuckDiesel
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#220 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Oct 5, 2015 4:57 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:Don't know a lot about the rams D, other than Donald is a JJ watt type of freak, but this should be good news.

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1 5m5 minutes ago
Just up from locker room. Fisher says Ogletree needs ankle surgery. At best, he's on IR/designated for return. At worst, he's out for year.

I only saw Rams week 1 vs SEA this year but Ogletree was a beast, as I recall. He had some nasty hits and seemed to be all over the place. Pretty big loss, I'd think. But I don't know their D that well either.

Return to Green Bay Packers