GT: Packers @ 49ers

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: GT: Packers @ 49ers 

Post#221 » by El Duderino » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:04 am

Bernman wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:McCarthy is just owning the mind games here. What a mentality and mindset to exercise the mental demons this year so far.

Oh yeah...toughness, too. They should open up Candlestick and play a game there to exercise those demons.

You are really something else. You don't let things go, even when you're proven wrong, you try and twist it around to make it seem like you are the voice of reason.

Most athletes will tell you by the time you get to this level the sport is mostly mental because the physical differences aren't that big. The game against Seattle last year couldn't have reinforced that more. We grinded out a win vs. Seattle in a different environment, and one against a 49ers' team that was a shell of themselves. That's a positive to not play the "here we go again" game in subsequent meetings in different environments maybe or when they are more stout. That's a component of whether you win and lose, beyond skill match-ups, and who is purely better.

Now, let it go. It's unhealthy that you can't.

Beating Seattle i think was important beyond just the win vs a team the Packers potentially could see in the playoffs again.

Had we lost to this version of the 49ers though today, i really doubt that the players would have cared anymore than losing to a different below average team which should have been a win. Harbaugh is gone, a lot of what made up their great defense is gone, and their OL no longer could push our defense around.

The only way i could have seen a Packers loss today bringing about old demons is if Kaepernick and their offense has read optioned the defense into numerous big back breaking gains, bringing back nightmares of arguably the worst defensive game plan ever in a playoff loss when Capers was left with a blank look on his face multiple times as San Fran absolutely shredded his defense to the tune of nearly 600 yards.

Playing San Fran today would be somewhat similar to the 90's Packers facing a bad Dallas team without Jimmy Johnson, multiple members of their once dominant OL gone or old, no Deion Sanders, no Emmitt, no Michael Irvin, etc. Finally beating them no longer a huge deal as most of what made those Dallas teams both so great and so frustrating to lose to were no longer there.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#222 » by HKPackFan » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:10 am

Claymaker was having fun.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13811479/clay-matthews-green-bay-packers-shouts-aint-russell-wilson-colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers

That came after Matthews sacked Kaepernick in the third quarter and mocked his trademark biceps-kissing celebration.

Matthews said after the game that the celebration was all in fun.

"Nah, it's not planned," Matthews said. "I was going to hit him with the predator, and then I had a light bulb go off in my head. It's just having fun. We're a bunch of kids out there running around and having fun at each other's expense."

I don't mind if the defense gets a bit cocky. They just better be able to bring it every week.

I gotta say he's having his best year in a while. Between his ILB play, and his wreaking havoc rushing the passer Capers is definitely getting great use out of Clay.
#FreeChuckDiesel
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#223 » by LikeABosh » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:13 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:I almost enjoy these wins sporadically during the season. Defense looks like it has a pulse and it's one of the games where midway through the 3rd quarter they can run the ball 90% of the time the rest of the wag and hopefully avoid injury to key passing game components. We know that Rodgers can throw it all over the field if we need it. Just run the clock, get the win, and move on (relatively) healthy to the next week.

I do enjoy these games. There's something special about shutting opponents down on the road and not having to score +30 to win a game
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,126

Post#224 » by RRyder823 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:27 am

Studs:

The entire D- this was a game you give credit to the D for winning it. Not the O for not losing it with turnovers

Lacy- Almost 100 yards on a banged up ankle I'll take.

Jones- Good god that sideline catch was pretty.

Coverage units- simply cause I wanted to give them some love. Been playing great all year for the most part. It's good kicking off and hoping they'll try and take it out 5 yards deep for a change.

Duds:

Oline- I think we just got called for holding again....

Barclay- so bad that the entire unit makes this list of mine but he still gets singled out.

Overall a solid game but still gotta clean up the Oline with the Rams Dline comming to town or things could go south quick
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#225 » by El Duderino » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:28 am

HKPackFan wrote:

We do miss Jordy, but in previous seasons there were times when a Dline rushes only 4 and leaves 7 in coverage all our Wrs were coverage even with Jordy.

Again, agreed that Jordy can stretch a defense as a deep threat, and is so dangerous in one on one that is forces defense to adjust, so sometimes his impact is felt by the defense giving him extra attention and giving one on one match ups to other wrs.

I think it was a tough game when teams can get pressure with only 4 or 5 and missing Jordy and Davante, and a hurt Cobb. That's our #1 and #3 out and our #2 hurt. Not a lot of teams can overcome that kind of thing. Thank goodness for James Jones. He doesn't have the speed but he's amazing at finding the ball even when he's not really open.

Hey don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining at all about the win. I'll take a W anytime on the road, regardless of the score or who the team was. Some good teams lose road games like these every year.

I'm talking more long term about Jody. Mainly come the playoffs or about winning enough games to secure home field in the playoffs. Him being around to break those 30-40-50 plus yard plays for a quick strike vs having to move the ball down the field methodically more often. To draw double coverage away from Cobb.

Take the offensive penalties today. The more often an offense has to put together 8-9-10 plus play drives to score a TD, it just opens the door for a myriad of different type of mistakes to stall a drive.

Overall through four games the offense has been productive, with key injuries besides Jordy. Aaron has compensated by throwing short throws more often to move the chains. I just think Jordy being out has played a factor in why we are seeing drives stall out, mainly because his big strike element is missing, so drives overall seem more methodical and eventually a breakdown happens.

BTW, i agree on Jones. It"s crazy how often he's made big catches while being covered close.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#226 » by HKPackFan » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:35 am

I think Jones finally made a catch that wasn't a first down or a TD. Otherwise prior to this game every catch he made was a first down or a TD.

I'm not going to look it up, but I think even today's 5 catches several of them were 1st downs.
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#227 » by HKPackFan » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:40 am

El Duderino wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:

We do miss Jordy, but in previous seasons there were times when a Dline rushes only 4 and leaves 7 in coverage all our Wrs were coverage even with Jordy.

Again, agreed that Jordy can stretch a defense as a deep threat, and is so dangerous in one on one that is forces defense to adjust, so sometimes his impact is felt by the defense giving him extra attention and giving one on one match ups to other wrs.

I think it was a tough game when teams can get pressure with only 4 or 5 and missing Jordy and Davante, and a hurt Cobb. That's our #1 and #3 out and our #2 hurt. Not a lot of teams can overcome that kind of thing. Thank goodness for James Jones. He doesn't have the speed but he's amazing at finding the ball even when he's not really open.

Hey don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining at all about the win. I'll take a W anytime on the road, regardless of the score or who the team was. Some good teams lose road games like these every year.

I'm talking more long term about Jody. Mainly come the playoffs or about winning enough games to secure home field in the playoffs. Him being around to break those 30-40-50 plus yard plays for a quick strike vs having to move the ball down the field methodically more often. To draw double coverage away from Cobb.

Take the offensive penalties today. The more often an offense has to put together 8-9-10 plus play drives to score a TD, it just opens the door for a myriad of different type of mistakes to stall a drive.

Overall through four games the offense has been productive, with key injuries besides Jordy. Aaron has compensated by throwing short throws more often to move the chains. I just think Jordy being out has played a factor in why we are seeing drives stall out, mainly because his big strike element is missing, so drives overall seem more methodical and eventually a breakdown happens.

BTW, i agree on Jones. It"s crazy how often he's made big catches while being covered close.

I agree with your point long term, but for a game like today when a D can get pressure with just 4, even Jordy has trouble getting open. But ya long term we are going to need some quick strikes. Jordy had some absurd number of 40+ yard plays. To your point It's tough to dink and dunk 80 yards downfield series after series needing everyone to play mistake free for long stretches 10-15 play drives.
#FreeChuckDiesel
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,283

Post#228 » by trwi7 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 6:05 am

HKPackFan wrote:I think Jones finally made a catch that wasn't a first down or a TD. Otherwise prior to this game every catch he made was a first down or a TD.

I'm not going to look it up, but I think even today's 5 catches several of them were 1st downs.

I'm almost positive he had a catch against the Chiefs that wasn't a 1st down and I'm thinking there was more than one in that game.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,004

Post#229 » by rilamann » Mon Oct 5, 2015 6:57 am

Nice to see the Packers defense finally playing at a level where they can make Colin Kaepernick look like Colin Kaepernick.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#230 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Oct 5, 2015 7:32 am

So why couldn't Rodgers run that oh-so-effective short-passing game we had against the Chiefs, and to a limited extend against SEA, today? Was it the SF D? Or was it lack of trying? Was it injuries?
RRyder823
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: GT: Packers @ 49ers 

Post#231 » by RRyder823 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 7:37 am

rilamann wrote:Nice to see the Packers defense finally playing at a level where they can make Colin Kaepernick look like Colin Kaepernick.

Outside of the Bears game I'd be hard pressed to ask more from a defense then what we've gotten the last 3 weeks.

Don't care where we rank against the rush. We're stopping RBs in their tracks. It's a shame with Raji cause he is definitely pricing himself out of GB (don't care if he's an All Pro I'm not going to pay him top dollar) but for now enjoy the ride and Daniels is going to get paid this offseason. Hopefully it's us that pays him. (Just hoping for the best deal possible)

Limiting explosive plays.

#2 in sacks

Really only thing one might want more of is a few more turnovers but like I said I don't wanna be greedy
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#232 » by RRyder823 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 7:41 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:So why couldn't Rodgers run that oh-so-effective short-passing game we had against the Chiefs, and to a limited extend against SEA, today? Was it the SF D? Or was it lack of trying? Was it injuries?

A combination of the SF pass rush, a few added injuries and Rodgers not having his God Mode cheat in effect today are the answers to your question.

Lack of trying though? Are you serious?
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#233 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Oct 5, 2015 8:50 am

RRyder823 wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:So why couldn't Rodgers run that oh-so-effective short-passing game we had against the Chiefs, and to a limited extend against SEA, today? Was it the SF D? Or was it lack of trying? Was it injuries?

A combination of the SF pass rush, a few added injuries and Rodgers not having his God Mode cheat in effect today are the answers to your question.

I'm always serious. By lack of trying, I mean lack of trying to throw short- something the packers under Rodgers are guilty of IMO.
I know we had injuries, but why couldn't we run that effective short-passing game v SF today? Lack of Quarless hurts more than it would seem? Why was Rodgers crushed in the pocket, holding the ball and getting sacked like crazy? Was SF's rush more disciplined than KC or SEA? Better at keeping Arodg in the pocket maybe? We handled SEA and KC's superior pass-rush- we couldn't handle SFs? What was the difference between the first drive and the rest of the game? Etc etc. I'm interested in hearing people elaborate on their opinions- "Rodgers not having his God Mode cheat in effect" doesn't really help me. Thanks though.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#234 » by Jez2983 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 8:57 am

HKPackFan wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:So I have been informed by the Australian media that Jarryd Hayne is the most amazing player in the NFL. Yet scanning through here you barely mention him. Don't you guys know how popular Hayne is in the US???

Spoiler:
He's only playing special teams. Our punter was kicking out of bounds or on the edge of the sideline so he had no return opportunities, although RIP had a nice tackle one of the few times Hayne caught the ball and tried to run.

He also had the pleasure of a 3 stooges play as 1 or 2 of his player fell onto him while he tried to catch the ball and it bounced off him as the 3 of them fell on top of each other. That was fun to watch, except somehow we didn't get the ball in that scrum.

FYI for those non-NFL watchers, that's 98% his teammate's fault. The 2% is him for waving for a fair catch too late so that he had defenders on top of him and making the whole area crowded which can lead to these kinds of incidents.

It appears he's a 3rd string running back at this point and don't expect him to do much unless one of the first 2 get hurt. He might have to wait until next year with a year of NFL football under his belt before he gets an opportunity for significant playing time (again unless an injury occurs). He might have another great summer of running over players who will go back to washing dishes once the summer is over.

He still could be something with a year or two of seasoning but the problem is age is against him. Running backs usually die out around 30 years old. Although NFL running backs often have take years of pounding if you include 3-4 years of college so add 8 years of playing in the NFL their bodies begin to fail. So maybe he does have a chance to last beyond 30 years old since he doesn't have the normal wear and tear of an NFL RB. No idea the wear and tear rugby has on a player. If he loses his speed due to age then it's over. He's got to hope he improves over the next year or two and then keeps his speed and health and then have a chance to be a starting RB. It's still possible but seems the road to be a star RB in the NFL still has a ways to go.

Thanks for such a well thought-out response :D

The media on Hayne has been obscene. Multiple pieces per paper some days. I know very little about NFL but even I can see he's just a guy on an average team. It's an interesting story but so amazingly over hyped.

My post was very tongue-in-cheek!
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
RRyder823
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: GT: Packers @ 49ers 

Post#235 » by RRyder823 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 9:47 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

I'm always serious. By lack of trying, I mean lack of trying to throw short- something the packers under Rodgers are guilty of IMO.
I know we had injuries, but why couldn't we run that effective short-passing game v SF today? Lack of Quarless hurts more than it would seem? Why was Rodgers crushed in the pocket, holding the ball and getting sacked like crazy? Was SF's rush more disciplined than KC or SEA? Better at keeping Arodg in the pocket maybe? We handled SEA and KC's superior pass-rush- we couldn't handle SFs? What was the difference between the first drive and the rest of the game? Etc etc. I'm interested in hearing people elaborate on their opinions- "Rodgers not having his God Mode cheat in effect" doesn't really help me. Thanks though.

It might not help but it's still part of the reason. Rodgers wasn't at his MVP level and the 49ers were sitting on everything short.

The Chiefs tried the same thing but they were also playing PS CBs which is why we had success against them.

They had success against Seattle because Rodgers was just plain great that day. They were sitting on the shallow routes also but Rodgers was simply finding the open man n avoiding the rush.

And we didn't "handle" either KC or Seattle's pass rush. I dont even understand how you can jump to that conclusion. Barclay has been getting beat like he stole something all season and Bakhtiari has only been slightly better. Rodgers was simply avoiding the rush and finding open recievers. Our recievers weren't getting open today and/or he didn't see them which caused him to hold onto the ball n take the sack.

And what was the difference between the first drive and the rest of the game? Well that's quite simply a strange question to ask. That's like saying "Hey our D forced a 3 n out. What happened the rest of the game that we gave up 40? We should've just kept doing what we were when we forced the 3 n out." Not to even add that the opening drive would've been a 3 n out for us if not for a "kinda weak imo" illegal contact on Cobb.

Rodgers wasn't on his A-game, the 49ers sitting on everything short due to the lack of a deep threat, the Oline getting beat all day coupled with the WRs not beating their men with their routes adds up to a rough day for the offence. Hopefully that answers enough of your questions.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#236 » by HKPackFan » Mon Oct 5, 2015 9:54 am

Jez2983 wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:So I have been informed by the Australian media that Jarryd Hayne is the most amazing player in the NFL. Yet scanning through here you barely mention him. Don't you guys know how popular Hayne is in the US???

Spoiler:
He's only playing special teams. Our punter was kicking out of bounds or on the edge of the sideline so he had no return opportunities, although RIP had a nice tackle one of the few times Hayne caught the ball and tried to run.

He also had the pleasure of a 3 stooges play as 1 or 2 of his player fell onto him while he tried to catch the ball and it bounced off him as the 3 of them fell on top of each other. That was fun to watch, except somehow we didn't get the ball in that scrum.

FYI for those non-NFL watchers, that's 98% his teammate's fault. The 2% is him for waving for a fair catch too late so that he had defenders on top of him and making the whole area crowded which can lead to these kinds of incidents.

It appears he's a 3rd string running back at this point and don't expect him to do much unless one of the first 2 get hurt. He might have to wait until next year with a year of NFL football under his belt before he gets an opportunity for significant playing time (again unless an injury occurs). He might have another great summer of running over players who will go back to washing dishes once the summer is over.

He still could be something with a year or two of seasoning but the problem is age is against him. Running backs usually die out around 30 years old. Although NFL running backs often have take years of pounding if you include 3-4 years of college so add 8 years of playing in the NFL their bodies begin to fail. So maybe he does have a chance to last beyond 30 years old since he doesn't have the normal wear and tear of an NFL RB. No idea the wear and tear rugby has on a player. If he loses his speed due to age then it's over. He's got to hope he improves over the next year or two and then keeps his speed and health and then have a chance to be a starting RB. It's still possible but seems the road to be a star RB in the NFL still has a ways to go.

Thanks for such a well thought-out response :D

The media on Hayne has been obscene. Multiple pieces per paper some days. I know very little about NFL but even I can see he's just a guy on an average team. It's an interesting story but so amazingly over hyped.

My post was very tongue-in-cheek!

Oh I know it was but honestly I think it's a cool story so I have been intrigued following along.

I'm sure for you, you have probably had enough of the hype.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,309

Post#237 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Oct 5, 2015 1:41 pm

The biggest and perhaps only important takeaway from this game for me is that we were able to not just win, but dominate an opponent with Rodgers looking average for most of it. Holding the home team to 3 points and under 200 yards of total offense is an impressive feat no matter the opponent.

This really reminded me of the Jets game in 2010 when we knew our defense was legit. Which is probably the last time I felt as good about our defense as I do right now.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,309

Post#238 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Oct 5, 2015 2:38 pm

Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,168

Post#239 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:17 pm

At the game, at worst it was 60/40 49er fans. Lot's of Go Pack Go chanting. It was impressive. Sat behind Quinten Rollins family.

Parking offsite is...$50. No matter where you park. We were a mile away.

It was way too hot for a football game. Stadium is nice but there is really no cover from sun. I was actually dreaming of the Stick. That stadium was garbage but it was at least cool weather. Santa Clara is like a desert.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,850

Post#240 » by BUCKnation » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:25 pm

Yeah, Levi's stadium might be the most lackluster new stadium to built in a long time.

Return to Green Bay Packers