ImageImage

Rams Leadup

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,004

Re: Rams Leadup 

Post#21 » by rilamann » Tue Oct 6, 2015 4:21 am

This is the type of game that would have had me nervous the past few seasons.Not this season with this Packer team.Rams are solid and they do have a good defense.I picked them as one of my playoff teams in the NFC this season but as far as winning at Lambeau,they're not on that level yet.

Packers 31
Rams 13
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#22 » by HKPackFan » Tue Oct 6, 2015 6:17 am

rilamann wrote:This is the type of game that would have had me nervous the past few seasons.Not this season with this Packer team.Rams are solid and they do have a good defense.I picked them as one of my playoff teams in the NFC this season but as far as winning at Lambeau,they're not on that level yet.

Packers 31
Rams 13

The Packers must be doing well when they even got you optimistic! :clap:
#FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,777

Post#23 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 6, 2015 12:26 pm

McCarthy

(On injuries) Still working through it. We'll have a report on Wednesday.
(On 4-0) I think everybody that prepares for a season wants a fast start. We haven't done in the past. Was our emphasis. Give ton of credit to our players. Hit our targets and overcame some adversity, went to SF, short week, weather, injury situation and were able to get a good quality win.
(On defense) We believe in stacking success and with that success comes confidence. Best defensive performance of year. Whole different opponent this week with St. Louis Rams and how they'll threaten us. Four wins and getting better each and every week.
(On run defense and sacks) Down and distance. It's a down and distance game. Ability to stop the run sets up playing the pass. Stopping the run is A number 1.
(On sacks) Puts us in a situation where we have number of guys who can rush the passer and I think the way that the sacks and pressures have been distributed through their performance and production definitely shows that.
(On Perry) Nick playing really good football. Like the rotation with our front group.
(On James Jones) When I look at James Jones production, he's picked up where he's left off. Last time when he was here in 2013, he had a huge year. I look at James as just as jumping back in a groove with Aaron and frankly with the way our receiver group is put together today with some of the injuries and the way the game flows, he's getting a lot of opportunities and he's definitely cashing in on those I look at James as jumping back in the groove with Aaron. Way our receiver group built, he's getting a lot of opportunities.
(On adjusting without Nelson) We said back when got back from Pittsburgh no replacing Jordy Nelson. Important for our WR group not to look at it that way. You have to look at the opportunities that are there. Speaks to the development of Montgomery and Cobb has had some big games. All about opportunities.
(On deep passing game) First play of game, so there's game plan that goes into that decision. That was by design to take that shot. The action was excellent and to have that much room was credit to design. Good throw and tough catch. I think we're ranked second in plus-25 yard gains. We know how to create big plays.
(On lack of big gains from WRs) Well, it's four games. I think anytime you get four games on a team you get a little more information on that. You have to make sure you're on top of your Ps and Qs.
(On Joe Philbin) Personally, I'm extremely disappointed. As we all know, Joe is a man of high character and outstanding football coach. I'll leave it at that.
(On bringing him back) It's Week 5. If Joe Philbin desires will coach again.
(On looking forward) We know we have to grow from the first quarter of the season.
(On Montgomery versatility) That's something we always liked about him from the time he was drafted out of Stanford. The fact that you can play him the backfield, the return game and I think he's done some really good things at receiver too. Ty is getting better each and every week so I mean that's all part of it.
(On Matthews' growth) Clay has always been a playmaker. More move him around, more plays he'll make. He's also a good teammate. Football is a matchup game. Gives us an excellent player in the front seven to match up with.
(On if he's hoping Bulaga can do some football work this week) I know Bryan feels he's getting stronger. We'll make a decision on Wednesday (whether he'll try to practice).
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,654

Post#24 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Oct 6, 2015 2:44 pm

So the Packers gave Jared Abbrederis a three year deal at the league minimum salaries, and for the life of me I can't understand why Abby did this. If he performs well (or even is simply just solid), the Packers have a steal. If he doesn't perform well or gets injured again, they can cut him at no cost.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,203

Post#25 » by LUKE23 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 2:47 pm

Rams front 7 is disgusting and Gurley is the best combination of speed and power we have seen this year. Still, hard to see Rams beating us unless they beat us in the turnover game, which is unlikely.

Need to go into the bye 6-0. #1 seed or bust.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Oct 6, 2015 3:00 pm

That #1 seed is going to be tough to come by. Atlanta's a new team under Quinn and they have the easiest remaining schedule in the league. It might take a 15-1 kinda season to be the top seed.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,126

Re: RE: Re: Rams Leadup 

Post#27 » by RRyder823 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 3:15 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:So the Packers gave Jared Abbrederis a three year deal at the league minimum salaries, and for the life of me I can't understand why Abby did this. If he performs well (or even is simply just solid), the Packers have a steal. If he doesn't perform well or gets injured again, they can cut him at no cost.

Because they said sign this deal or not get called up from the PS?

Practice squad players are exactly in a position of strength to negotiate. What's so hard to understand?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,309

Post#28 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Oct 6, 2015 3:16 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:So the Packers gave Jared Abbrederis a three year deal at the league minimum salaries, and for the life of me I can't understand why Abby did this. If he performs well (or even is simply just solid), the Packers have a steal. If he doesn't perform well or gets injured again, they can cut him at no cost.

It's a pretty big risk with his concussion history, but I'm guessing he'd rather take the potential payday over the peanuts players make with practice squad salaries. Leaguè minimum this year ($435,000) is still insanely more than the average PS salary ($120,000 on average).

But yeah, it's the signing for multiple years that surprised me. I mean, it's incredibly team-friendly, but for his own financial security, it's a bit puzzling...
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#29 » by Flames24Rulz » Tue Oct 6, 2015 6:42 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:That #1 seed is going to be tough to come by. Atlanta's a new team under Quinn and they have the easiest remaining schedule in the league. It might take a 15-1 kinda season to be the top seed.

As long as #12 stays healthy, I see no reason why the Packers can't go 14-2 or 15-1. I think they'll split against Arizona and Denver on the road. Just take care of business.

But even if Atlanta were to get HFA, that's one stadium where obviously the offense can perform at an extremely high level in January. Might not be the worst thing in the world.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#30 » by El Duderino » Tue Oct 6, 2015 8:11 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:That #1 seed is going to be tough to come by. Atlanta's a new team under Quinn and they have the easiest remaining schedule in the league. It might take a 15-1 kinda season to be the top seed.

As long as #12 stays healthy, I see no reason why the Packers can't go 14-2 or 15-1. I think they'll split against Arizona and Denver on the road. Just take care of business.

But even if Atlanta were to get HFA, that's one stadium where obviously the offense can perform at an extremely high level in January. Might not be the worst thing in the world.

I don't see them going 15-1 and even 14-2 strikes me as a stretch.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,451

Post#31 » by neiLz » Tue Oct 6, 2015 8:23 pm

I don't see how the rams score more than 17 unless their defense creates turnovers. Packers average around 30 pts a game. I am thinking packers 31 - Rams 17.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,283

Post#32 » by trwi7 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 9:36 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/651495147092504576[/tweet]
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,781

Post#33 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Oct 6, 2015 9:45 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:

It's a pretty big risk with his concussion history, but I'm guessing he'd rather take the potential payday over the peanuts players make with practice squad salaries. Leaguè minimum this year ($435,000) is still insanely more than the average PS salary ($120,000 on average).

But yeah, it's the signing for multiple years that surprised me. I mean, it's incredibly team-friendly, but for his own financial security, it's a bit puzzling...

I'll take a guarantee 4x my salary this year versus risking never getting paid beyond this year holding out for a new contract. If they said take this or we will promote someone else you better take it. Looking salaries, he would have to be a top 90 receiver (or in other words a top 3 WR on a team) to be making more than a million. I think it is way more likely he is out of the league next year than him ever becoming a top 3 WR. I think he is smart taking the guaranteed money considering his health history.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,869

Post#34 » by humanrefutation » Tue Oct 6, 2015 10:03 pm

trwi7 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/651495147092504576[/tweet]

They're about to face the team that's second in sacks so far.

May the good lord protect our savior, Aaron Rodgers, because I'm not sure if Barclay or Bakhtiari can do so on their own.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Oct 6, 2015 11:21 pm

What makes you guys think the Packers offered that ultimatum? Saying they would screw over the rest of the team by signing an inferior player over what amounts to the league minimum is absurd.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#36 » by HKPackFan » Wed Oct 7, 2015 12:08 am

ReasonablySober wrote:What makes you guys think the Packers offered that ultimatum? Saying they would screw over the rest of the team by signing an inferior player over what amounts to the league minimum is absurd.

I don't think he's inferior but I don't think any other team wants a kid on their 53 who has shown nothing more than an injury risk. (From the outside looking in).

The going rate for abby isn't stellar so he doesn't have a lot of leverage. There's a chance he could be a fringe 5 2nd or 53rd player the next couple of years so that should equate to a league minimum salary.
#FreeChuckDiesel
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#37 » by RRyder823 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 1:51 am

ReasonablySober wrote:What makes you guys think the Packers offered that ultimatum? Saying they would screw over the rest of the team by signing an inferior player over what amounts to the league minimum is absurd.

I guess I'd ask what makes you think Abby is worth more then a non guaranteed league minimum deal?

When a player has zero negotiating power and has shown nothing to go against the view that he has a propensity for being injured, (which is the reason he was only worth a low round draft pick when we took him), why offer him anything more then a minimum non guaranteed deal?

And on what basis can Abby say "No I won't sign that. I want more money"?

Practice squad players sign whatever contract is put in front of them if it means moving up to the active roster.
RRyder823
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rams Leadup 

Post#38 » by RRyder823 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 1:52 am

HKPackFan wrote:

I don't think he's inferior but I don't think any other team wants a kid on their 53 who has shown nothing more than an injury risk. (From the outside looking in).

The going rate for abby isn't stellar so he doesn't have a lot of leverage. There's a chance he could be a fringe 5 2nd or 53rd player the next couple of years so that should equate to a league minimum salary.

It's not really from the outside looking in
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 7, 2015 2:56 am

RRyder823 wrote:

I guess I'd ask what makes you think Abby is worth more then a non guaranteed league minimum deal?

He's not. The question is why would he sign that idiotic deal. He's good enough to get called up on a team with one of the deepest collections of WRs. Why sign a deal that locks you into three seasons of minimum salaries? There is literally nothing to gain.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,004

Post#40 » by rilamann » Wed Oct 7, 2015 3:22 am

HKPackFan wrote:
rilamann wrote:This is the type of game that would have had me nervous the past few seasons.Not this season with this Packer team.Rams are solid and they do have a good defense.I picked them as one of my playoff teams in the NFC this season but as far as winning at Lambeau,they're not on that level yet.

Packers 31
Rams 13

The Packers must be doing well when they even got you optimistic! :clap:

Haha,well I did pick the Packers as my Super Bowl champ in preseason so I was pretty optimist going in.

My thing going into this season was that the NFC Championship game vs Seattle would change this team going forward,good or bad.I thought there would either be a black cloud effect from that game or that the game would change the team's approach and focus for the better.It's still early but so far it appears the latter might indeed be the case.

There is a focus and physicality to the defense that wasn't there before and Rodgers appears to be locked in on an even higher level than we've seen in the past.I think Mike McCarthy giving up the play calling had already proved to be a great move,McCarthy seems to have a smoother focus making in game decisions and having the team focused and ready to play.And Tom Clements play calling has been outstanding so far.Granted having Godgers at QB helps,but the play calling has been great so far.

Just my personal perception,but this team no longer strikes me as the type of team who would have the mentality of kicking FGs on the opponents 1 yard line in a big game.They're going to be who they are and you're going to have to stop them or deal with your defeat.No longer will they let an opponent dictate who they are and how they approach the game.

We'll see how the rest of the season plays out,but that's the ''mentality'' I am sensing from this team through the first 4 games.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****

Return to Green Bay Packers