ImageImage

Do the Packers have a top 10 defense?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Do the Packers have a top 10 defense? 

Post#1 » by HKPackFan » Fri Oct 9, 2015 11:43 am

I have been reading a ton of articles this week hailing how great our defense has been doing. No doubt they have done a great job and deserve the praise.

But is this a top 5 or top 10 defense as all the stats are showing?

Or:

#1) we've played 4 crappy offenses so our stats are highly inflated and we are not as good as the stats show.

#2) our offense is so dangerous and efficient it puts pressure on the opposing teams offenses so they quickly become one dimensional and easier to defend. Thus the best defense is a good offense. It's because of the offense our defensive stats are inflated and we are not as good as it shows.

#3) we actually really are a top 10 defense or better!!! We have the talent. A finally Healthy front 7 with a bunch of players in contract years up playing lights out. TT loading up on D over the years is finally paying off. Believe it!!!

Want to know your thoughts.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,309

Re: Do the Packers have a top 10 defense? 

Post#2 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Oct 9, 2015 1:43 pm

We're playing like a top 10 defense right now but the only thing that matters is if we're a top 10 defense at the end of the year. I never buy the "we've only played crappy offenses" argument because this is the NFL. Just last week, St. Louis put up over 300 yards of total offense and beat the vaunted Cardinals defense even though they're the 32nd ranked offense in the league....

It's the consistency for me. Ever since Forte gashed us in week 1, we've held 3 straight pro-bowl caliber RB's to under 70 yards each. With our dominant pass rush and the secondary playing at an above average level, I think we're a top 5 defense in the league right now. I just don't think that it means much in week 5 of the regular season. I believe we're top 3 in points allowed and that's pretty much the only defensive stat that matters to me.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,141
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#3 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Oct 9, 2015 2:22 pm

I think the Packers were also 2-3 better plays from linebackers/safeties away from holding Forte down as well. The d-line looked excellent that week as well.

I'm still not sure about the top 10 status, but just wanted to add that nugget.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,203

Post#4 » by LUKE23 » Fri Oct 9, 2015 2:22 pm

As of the 1/4 mark of the season, yes. Football Outsiders, which adjusts for schedule and looks at performance on a play by play basis, has the Packers currently sitting at the 7th best defense.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2015/week-4-dvoa-ratings

GB and Arizona are the only two teams to be ranked in the top 7 in both O/D.

If you look at our defense, it's hard to argue. Run D is what has traditionally kept us out of the top 10, and we now have a DL that is holding up well in the trenches. Between Daniels, Raji, Pennel, and Guion, we have some good run stuffers. Clay is a more sure tackler inside, so that has also helped.

We are deep at OLB, so pass rushers stay fresh. Matthews, Perry, Neal, Elliott, Peppers is a pretty good group of guys to bring at the QB.

We have a good coverage team as well in the secondary.

Not a ton of superstars on the D, but not many holes either.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,347

Post#5 » by M-C-G » Fri Oct 9, 2015 2:31 pm

When Dom has had good safeties and a pass rush he has generally put some pretty good defenses out there. No surprise when we have a very good secondary and front 7 depth that we are getting good results.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#6 » by emunney » Fri Oct 9, 2015 3:27 pm

Whichever it is, we're probably not going to figure it out for quite a while. It's pretty much garbage offenses until we get to that Arizona, Dallas, Oakland stretch.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,313

Post#7 » by crkone » Fri Oct 9, 2015 3:38 pm

SD will be the best offense we've faced yet next week. STL is on the SEA level of offense right now which is the best we've faced so far. We haven't seen a QB go nuts against the Pack through the air so far so that's encouraging also.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,309

Post#8 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Oct 9, 2015 3:41 pm

emunney wrote:Whichever it is, we're probably not going to figure it out for quite a while. It's pretty much garbage offenses until we get to that Arizona, Dallas, Oakland stretch.

I think San Diego provides a real good test for this young secondary. Rivers, Allen, Floyd, and Gates is a pretty good passing offense and we've faced mostly run-first teams.

I also believe that with a healthy Gurley, that Rams offense is much better than their statistical ranking suggests. We'll have a good idea where this defense is at the bye.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,654

Post#9 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Oct 9, 2015 8:05 pm

Raji was interviewed by Paul Imig and he's basically attributing the defensive play to having Matthews and Palmer back there instead of Hawk and Jones. He said that those two allow the defensive linemen to be on attack, instead concentrating on maintaining their assignments and gaps.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,253

Post#10 » by Mags FTW » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:33 am

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#11 » by El Duderino » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:46 am

LUKE23 wrote:As of the 1/4 mark of the season, yes. Football Outsiders, which adjusts for schedule and looks at performance on a play by play basis, has the Packers currently sitting at the 7th best defense.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2015/week-4-dvoa-ratings

GB and Arizona are the only two teams to be ranked in the top 7 in both O/D.

If you look at our defense, it's hard to argue. Run D is what has traditionally kept us out of the top 10, and we now have a DL that is holding up well in the trenches. Between Daniels, Raji, Pennel, and Guion, we have some good run stuffers. Clay is a more sure tackler inside, so that has also helped.

We are deep at OLB, so pass rushers stay fresh. Matthews, Perry, Neal, Elliott, Peppers is a pretty good group of guys to bring at the QB.

We have a good coverage team as well in the secondary.

Not a ton of superstars on the D, but not many holes either.

The good play by Raji has been huge. We have a pretty good number of solid to good pass rushers who can be rotated to keep them fresh, so if the run defense can hold up more like it has the last few weeks, it allows for more chances for that pass rush to go and attack. Palmer has been solid on early downs and that was badly needed.

At OLB we have Perry, Neal, Peppers, Elliot, and Clay when he rushes from the outside. None besides Clay is a really good rusher, but all have solid enough pass rushing abilities to be a threat. Mix in that Clay also often rushes from inside now. On the DL, obviously there is Daniels, but Jones has had some nice rushes, Raji is back pushing the pocket inside, and last year Guion showed some surprising pass rush moments.

In the secondary, Randall so far looks to be a really nice pick by Ted. Hayward hopefully can stay healthy given all NFL defenses need at least three competent corners.

If the defense can stay reasonably healthy, it seems like it should be better than i expected.

Return to Green Bay Packers