ImageImage

Postgame: Rams at Packers

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,655

Re: Postgame: Rams at Packers 

Post#21 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:03 am

Feel like that's a game they lose in years past. Injuries definitely hurting the o right now but that's a good rams d so not shocking they played well. Gurley got his but the pass d was great. This year's d might have the best combo of rush and coverage of any pack d in a long time.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,141
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#22 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:38 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:I forgot who tweeted it, but without Jordy the pack need to look at the Pats play calling. They've been working without a deep threat since moss left and their offense never looked like this.

I'm not sure what this Twitter coach's credentials are, but they basically are running New England's offense sans having Gronk. Lots of short pick routes, dump-offs, and scramble drill plays.

I'd say the Patriots are averaging ~10 extra PPG due to having Gronk and the Packers not having Jordy/Adams/Quarless as well as getting the Jags D in a game.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,309

Post#23 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:43 am

Great win. The offense will get things figured out. I don't think enough people are giving credit to how great a defense the Rams have. The fact that we can win a game with our own defense while Rodgers played arguably his worst game in 6 years (turnover wise) can't be understated.

I really can't remember a time where we had as complete of a team as this in all three phases of the game.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,141
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#24 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:47 am

Offense will be fine as some have said.

Of course I'd love to win 55-10 next week, but I'm fine with another defense-first home win next week with a lot of running and get everyone we can healthy over the bye and ready for the biggest stretch of the year.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,869

Re: RE: Re: Postgame: Rams at Packers 

Post#25 » by humanrefutation » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:18 am

Profound23 wrote:Unbelievable day:

Driving up to Packer game, car died, need new transmission. Missed the game. Get home, get blown out in fantasy football and lose Jamaal Charles for the year. UGH!

For years I have been trying to acquire Jamaal Charles and see a Packer regular season game. What terrible luck.

Damn man, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#26 » by HKPackFan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:38 am

The 2nd most important player on defense is BJ. He's been dominating. As soon as he went out Gurley found some space, coupled with nick perry leaving shortly after who's been solid in run D and excellent in pass rushing.

Great to see the D still held up after BJ went out but we need to get raji back soon. Any update?
#FreeChuckDiesel
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#27 » by Profound23 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:11 am

DigitalFool wrote:My wife is very casual Packer fan and I went I let out a groan with the first INT, she said what happened? I said Favre just threw an interception. She's like Favre? Oops...yeah spoiled with Rodgers at QB.

That said, the silver lining is we don't have to hear about the home streak anymore. It was getting obnoxious.

Agreed! It was an awesome ride, but it was like the media wanted to jinx it or something.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#28 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:16 am

HKPackFan wrote:The 2nd most important player on defense is BJ. He's been dominating. As soon as he went out Gurley found some space, coupled with nick perry leaving shortly after who's been solid in run D and excellent in pass rushing.

Great to see the D still held up after BJ went out but we need to get raji back soon. Any update?

No doubt Raji's loss was huge and he has been great, but I think Gurley would've got going no matter what, frankly. Give STL credit for sticking with him even when it wasn't working. Also, I thought that Gurley started to see room, and their offense in general improved, once they started running that package with austin/mason running or faking the reverse/sweep. We didn''t figure that sh*t out all afternoon and it was a great design by the Rams.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#29 » by Profound23 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:16 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:Offense will be fine as some have said.

Of course I'd love to win 55-10 next week, but I'm fine with another defense-first home win next week with a lot of running and get everyone we can healthy over the bye and ready for the biggest stretch of the year.

Our defense will be challenged the next couple of games. I know San Diego and Denver haven't been lights out this year, but they are normally the type of offenses that tear us to shreds. We haven't really faced a good QB or #1 Wide Receiver this year. Now we get Rivers/Keenan Allen and Manning/D. Thomas.

Assuming we win next week and Denver beats Cleveland, that Denver game is going to be so much fun. Both defenses playing well, great skilled players, and both teams would be 6-0 coming off a bye week.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#30 » by HKPackFan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:27 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:The 2nd most important player on defense is BJ. He's been dominating. As soon as he went out Gurley found some space, coupled with nick perry leaving shortly after who's been solid in run D and excellent in pass rushing.

No doubt Raji's loss was huge and he has been great, but I think Gurley would've got going no matter what, frankly. Give STL credit for sticking with him even when it wasn't working. Also, I thought that Gurley started to see room, and their offense in general improved, once they started running that package with austin/mason running or faking the reverse/sweep. We didn''t figure that sh*t out all afternoon and it was a great design by the Rams.

True the misdirection and trickery got us confused. Reminded me a little bit when Seattle did it in game one of the season last year and we bite every time. The Defense played it better today because we are athletic enough to overcome the initial fake and still get a guy down without getting killed most of the time. I think between the trickery and losing Raji our defense became a bit more leaky. We better be working on figuring that out, because now every team potentially will use it on us.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,253

Post#31 » by Mags FTW » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:34 am

Prevent defense will prevent you from winning.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach

Post#32 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:50 am

HKPackFan wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:

True the misdirection and trickery got us confused. Reminded me a little bit when Seattle did it in game one of the season last year and we bite every time. The Defense played it better today because we are athletic enough to overcome the initial fake and still get a guy down without getting killed most of the time. I think between the trickery and losing Raji our defense became a bit more leaky. We better be working on figuring that out, because now every team potentially will use it on us.

I think the D can and will contain that type of misdirection run package better in the future, and a healthy Raji absolutely helps, but I think we're still slower than the average front 7 and are thus susceptible to that kind of thing. I could be wrong, but it seems that way to me. We should at least be able to better contain the cut-back runs by the RB when the reverse is a fake.
I think our D outplayed their O, but Fischer to an extent out-coached Capers and that's how they kept in this game.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#33 » by El Duderino » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:16 am

Ayt wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:Offense needs to settle down. I think they fell in love with with drawing teams offside and catching them with 12 on the field. Get back to basics please.

We just lack players at WR and TE right now. Hopefully we get Adams back soon. We need a guy like him on the outside who can actually make some plays down the field.

Getting him back certainly will help, but he's not a Jordy type who is going to with one quick jab step will blow past corners down the field. Maybe i'm wrong based on last year being his rookie season, but he struck me more as a guy who can get you 15-20 yards on a well run play vs being an over the top deep threat which defenses always need to fear as Jordy was.

That said, his addition should also allow for running some 4 WR sets vs so many 3 WR sets with Rogers at TE because he is a plow horse compared to athletic tight ends around the league.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#34 » by HKPackFan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:17 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:

I think the D can and will contain that type of misdirection run package better in the future, and a healthy Raji absolutely helps, but I think we're still slower than the average front 7 and are thus susceptible to that kind of thing. I could be wrong, but it seems that way to me. We should at least be able to better contain the cut-back runs by the RB when the reverse is a fake.
I think our D outplayed their O, but Fischer to an extent out-coached Capers and that's how they kept in this game.

That's interesting, Fischer did come up with an excellent game plan, but after all these years with Capers I get the feeling Capers has a couple areas that are important to him on Defense, and others that are less important.

Caper seems IMO to want to have a collection of excellent pass rushers and excellent corners who can man up in single coverage. He doesn't mind so much if the defense gives up chunks of yards over the course of a game, but to him what matters is how many points are given up. What happens between the 30's is less consequential, and between the excellent pass rushers and excellent coverage guys, that should lead to turnovers and minimize points.

I'm not saying he doesn't care, I'm saying his EMPHASIS is more about pass rushing and corners who can cover without help. Since those are his 2 most important parts of the defense other stuff gets less prioritized like ILBs who we always have 6th 7th or undrafted guys.

So I see your point about Capers getting outcoached but I kinda feel Capers focus is just those 2 things and keeping a team out of the endzone.

Not saying I LOVE that defensive philosophy, I'm saying over the years watching Capers I get the feeling that's what's most important to him, and if he sacrifices in other spots he's willing to live with it.
#FreeChuckDiesel
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#35 » by El Duderino » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:35 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:

Gurley is a flat out stud. He's the pure best running back IMO to enter the league since Peterson. That dude has everything you want in a back, great size, speed, vision, and toughness. The only thing he has to prove is hands in the passing game. Just like younger Peterson, Gurley is a big run waiting to happen. He'll get those 4, 6,2, 8, 5, 2, 12, etc runs and then bam, get him a crease where only a linebacker, safety, or corner is left to beat, that's a mismatch.

If he can stay healthy, the Rams can keep at least a solid line in front of him, and if defenses have to respect their passing game enough to not just constantly load up the box to stop Gurley, that guy is going to win multiple rushing titles. He's scary good and i'm glad he's not in the NFC North like we Packer fans had to deal with a young Adrian Peterson twice a year for so long. We were just lucky the Vikings had garbage quarterbacks during his prime.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,126

Post#36 » by RRyder823 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:23 am

Looks like Lang is going to be OK.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach

Post#37 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:17 am

HKPackFan wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:

That's interesting, Fischer did come up with an excellent game plan, but after all these years with Capers I get the feeling Capers has a couple areas that are important to him on Defense, and others that are less important.

Caper seems IMO to want to have a collection of excellent pass rushers and excellent corners who can man up in single coverage. He doesn't mind so much if the defense gives up chunks of yards over the course of a game, but to him what matters is how many points are given up. What happens between the 30's is less consequential, and between the excellent pass rushers and excellent coverage guys, that should lead to turnovers and minimize points.

I'm not saying he doesn't care, I'm saying his EMPHASIS is more about pass rushing and corners who can cover without help. Since those are his 2 most important parts of the defense other stuff gets less prioritized like ILBs who we always have 6th 7th or undrafted guys.

So I see your point about Capers getting outcoached but I kinda feel Capers focus is just those 2 things and keeping a team out of the endzone.

Not saying I LOVE that defensive philosophy, I'm saying over the years watching Capers I get the feeling that's what's most important to him, and if he sacrifices in other spots he's willing to live with it.

Capers totally deserves credit for scheming the defense that won in a weird, defensive game, and I get his general defensive philosophy.
I just think that Fischer out-gamed us a bit, and the reason he could do that and still lose is because we have an overall better D than he has on O. So I guess, Fischer won some meaningless battles and Capers won the war? Or, like I said earlier, we had the better team, he just did a good job scheming to allow his inferior offense keep it close?
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,671

Post#38 » by jimmybones » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:31 pm

jimmybones wrote:Man I absolutely love Clay inside. With a block eating line, a plethora of OLB that can create pressure or at least crash the pocket against one blocker- it's pretty brilliant to use clay inside. He can blitz from there. He's so quick to get to the edge or sideline. And we can still shift him outside and use his pass rushing from there, with the added surprise factor of teams not knowing where he's coming from.

Another factor is now most of our OLBS are big and good at holding an edge against the run. Clay has an amazing first step and is a great edge rusher. But, we often saw teams take advantage of that by having his blocker let him run up field and attack that gap. And then we had no playmakers at DT or ILB to cover up for that.

Raji inside. Clay inside. A good cover secondary. This defense is legitimately good, guys.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#39 » by LikeABosh » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:41 pm

jimmybones wrote:
jimmybones wrote:Man I absolutely love Clay inside. With a block eating line, a plethora of OLB that can create pressure or at least crash the pocket against one blocker- it's pretty brilliant to use clay inside. He can blitz from there. He's so quick to get to the edge or sideline. And we can still shift him outside and use his pass rushing from there, with the added surprise factor of teams not knowing where he's coming from.

Another factor is now most of our OLBS are big and good at holding an edge against the run. Clay has an amazing first step and is a great edge rusher. But, we often saw teams take advantage of that by having his blocker let him run up field and attack that gap. And then we had no playmakers at DT or ILB to cover up for that.

Raji inside. Clay inside. A good cover secondary. This defense is legitimately good, guys.

And I'm happy to see Clay is still able to do his favorite thing. 3rd in the league in sacks
Profound23
RealGM

Post#40 » by Profound23 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:50 pm

LikeABosh wrote:
jimmybones wrote:

And I'm happy to see Clay is still able to do his favorite thing. 3rd in the league in sacks

I would appreciate if Clay would never again try to jump over a guy like Gurley. He is very lucky he didn't get hurt on that play.

Return to Green Bay Packers