Packers Want to Host Draft

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Packers Want to Host Draft 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:58 pm

I say, WHY NOT? 2019 would be perfect, the 100th year of the team.

The odds are reasonably long, but not as impossibly long as they would be to host a Super Bowl.

After about 50 years in New York, the draft was conducted in Chicago last year, setting new standards for fan participation, and will be again this week.

"I think we are a very compelling opportunity," said Aaron Popkey, Packers director of public affairs. "We have some unique features no other cities have."

Host cities for 2017 and 2018 might be announced soon. The Packers were not finalists for those years, but Popkey said 2019, as an example, would be a good year to host because the Titletown District will be open and the team will celebrate its 100th anniversary.

Chicago said it drew 200,000 fans to last year's draft. The event used 45 acres of parks and auditoriums and generated 36,000 hotel room nights over draft week. (By comparison, the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal reports the Minneapolis bid for the 2018 Super Bowl includes 19,000 full-service hotel rooms within 60 minutes of the stadium and a 900-room headquarters hotel.)

"Depending on where it goes in the next years, that will be an opportunity for Greater Green Bay to see what's done" compared to the last two years, Popkey said of the draft.

The NFL, in seeking host cities, focused on market size, media market ranking, market attractiveness to sponsors, to media and to fans, and in-market support.

"We focused on the uniqueness of Green Bay and the history of football here," Popkey said. "While other cities have larger spaces or more hotel rooms, no other city would focus its attention on the draft like Green Bay would."

A draft event here could utilize the Titletown District, including its 10-acre public park and plaza, the Resch Center, Lambeau Field, the KI Convention Center, CityDeck Landing and Leicht Park, among other venues. In addition, historic venues would include Hotel Northland, the Packers Heritage Trail and, of course, Lambeau Field.

There are obstacles. Brown County, even after three new hotels open in the next two years, will have 4,500 rooms. That would equal 18,000 room nights over a four-day period. And Chicago's tourism budget is many times larger than Green Bay's.

"We are bidding against cities that have beaucoup bucks," said Brad Toll, president and CEO of the Greater Green Bay Convention & Visitors Bureau. "We have a lot of traditions fans would love, but if other cities are willing to build them these villages, whey would the NFL pay for it here?

"That being said, we absolutely are interested in hearing more. We told the Packers if you are able to get the NFL interested, we'll be right there with you."

Toll said the Packers might find other NFL events to host, as well, such as an owners meeting.

The NFL said it would keep the Packers in mind, Popkey said.

"We'll continue to try to make the argument," he said.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Re: Packers Want to Host Draft 

Post#2 » by Mags FTW » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:31 pm

The hotel issue is a big one. I think the team needs to offer free shuttle buses from Milwaukee before and after each day. A lot of them. Maybe partner with places like Potowatami for package deals.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,176

Post#3 » by Iheartfootball » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:34 pm

My guess is GB would have to foot the bill for most of the build outs and that isn't cheap. It's really not worth it from what I've seen and read. In San Francisco for the SB this year the city paid a ridiculous amount to host and fans trashed the city. I know the draft is a much smaller event but it could still be a financial drag for the city of Green Bay.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:20 pm

Cost and hotel space are the two roadblocks. We'll never get a Super Bowl, having the draft one time in Green Bay on the 100th anniversary of the team would be the right thing for the NFL to do. Goodell will never go for it.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,014

Post#5 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:05 pm

If I was a fan from any other team, I would be pissed. New York is New York. Chicago is within 6 hours of GB, Detroit, Indy, St louis, and Minny. That's 20 percent of the NFL fanbase that could easily get to the city. Also, add in easy flights, other attractions, and amenities Chicago as a host blows GB away.

The only way the NFL goes that route if they don't feel there is enough general support and try to pick locations that get the most local support as a once-in-a-lifetime event.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,966

Post#6 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:35 pm

Do you think the NFL really cares what a couple thousand insane NFL fans care about the location of the draft? Because I definitely don't.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#7 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:29 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Do you think the NFL really cares what a couple thousand insane NFL fans care about the location of the draft? Because I definitely don't.

Was this in reply to me? I think the NFL would care about creating a buzz around the event and creating a situation where they have a ton of fans show up to an event. It's more exciting to see thousands of die-hards lined up waiting to get to the show than just showing an empty room with a guy walking up to the podium. That's why they created the who "Draft Town" idea. I don't think it would turn out as well in GB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIYBSlo91I8

Where would they have it in Green Bay? And by it, I mean the actual draft. Lambeau is too big, so it probably would be the Arena across the street. That arena compared to theater/stadiums in NYC/Chicago sucks for both a production standpoint and a viewing perspective.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,966

Post#8 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:31 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Do you think the NFL really cares what a couple thousand insane NFL fans care about the location of the draft? Because I definitely don't.

Was this in reply to me? I think the NFL would care about creating a buzz around the event and creating a situation where they have a ton of fans show up to an event. It's more exciting to see thousands of die-hards lined up waiting to get to the show than just showing an empty room with a guy walking up to the podium. That's why they created the who "Draft Town" idea. I don't think it would turn out as well in GB.

Where would they have it in Green Bay? And by it, I mean the actual draft. Lambeau is too big, so it probably would be the Arena across the street. That arena compared to theater/stadiums in NYC/Chicago sucks for both a production standpoint and a viewing perspective.

Why would Lambeau be too big?
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#9 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:

Why would Lambeau be too big?

I've been at Lambeau multiple times for events where people speak/there's a central podium. 1. I don't think you will 80K to show up to Green Bay so it will be half-empty. 2. there is too much space between the podium and the fans. From a broadcast perspective, the best shots are of the fans going nuts and the screams echoing. You won't get that at Lambeau. It would look more like a hall of fame speech presentation than a draft.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,223

Post#10 » by HKPackFan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:33 am

If you add in Milwaukee/Fox Valley they should have enough rooms. It's the draft not the superbowl. Milwaukee has something like 15K hotel rooms, that is more than enough for the 50% staying outside Green Bay.

Not a big deal to bring in a bunch of shuttle buses for the week. Weather should be pleasant in compared to winter difficult conditions around the SuperBowl.

I think it is a cool opportunity to show off a great stadium, a really nice hall of fame, and the new Titletown area, plus they could add some cool things like craft brewery tours or something. They have the NFL day activities and events and I'm sure there is space to set that up.

The actual draft auditorium seats 3900 in Chicago. NYC Radio music hall seats 6000.

The resch center seats 10K, the KI convention center may also be useful.

Lambeau field is a bit too big to host the draft outside, you'd have maybe 10K people and it looks pretty bare with 70K empty seats, plus you have weather concerns if it rains. And Heck thats a long walk from the green room to the middle of Lambeau field to have your name announced as a draftee. hahaha. Lambeau field has conference rooms but they are small for I think under 1K crowds.

I see this as doable. When Milwaukee ticket holders show up that's about probably 40 to 60K people driving up. So this event is about 3-4 times that, not a size that's too unbearable to imagine. And 200K visitors is over 4-6 day period not a 3 hour event.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#11 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:20 pm

It's 43 degrees tonight at Lambeau. Anyone who would want it held outside at Lambeau this time of year is nuts. Between weather and the appearance it just isn't worth it. There's really not much benefit to the NFL to hold the draft at the Resch Center. LA, Chicago, New York, etc all will have more interest from fans attending and the general appeal to the TV audience.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#12 » by crkone » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:23 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:It's 43 degrees tonight at Lambeau. Anyone who would want it held outside at Lambeau this time of year is nuts. Between weather and the appearance it just isn't worth it. There's really not much benefit to the NFL to hold the draft at the Resch Center. LA, Chicago, New York, etc all will have more interest from fans attending and the general appeal to the TV audience.

It could also be in the atrium or one of the new buildings that are going up in the next 2 years.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#13 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:27 pm

I actually think this happens. The league has been willing to try new things as of late, like moving the draft to Chicago and doing a cold weather outdoor Super Bowl. The Packers are arguably the most recognizable franchise in the league and it's going to be their 100th anniversary. Why not try to do the draft there? It's one of the rare opportunities to do a major NFL event in Green Bay and not have to worry about horrible weather. The new campus makes even more sense for a move like this. Not many franchises and cities have anything like the new campus/village they are building. Great opportunity for the NFL to feature it.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#14 » by bigkurty » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:19 am

Virtually every big football fan I have ever met outside of Wisconsin wants to go to Lambeau sometime to see their own team play. Every year I have Facebook friends living in AZ (most not from here) of other teams making the journey there. I don't hear about that kind of desire to visit any other stadium. The other big ones that do attract a lot of outside visitors now are probably Dallas and the Seahawks to see the insanity of the 12th man. At least that is what I witness here in AZ. So yeah it sounds like a good idea to me.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#15 » by chuckleslove » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:34 pm

I think this happens once the Title Town development stuff is done. I'm not sure the time frame on that but it could coincide with the 100th anniversary.

I think in the next 5 years this happens.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#16 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:01 pm

I love the nfl draft. My second favorite sports event of the year behind the NBA draft.

That being said, I don't know I would ever have the desire to attend the event in person.
Do it for Chuck
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,940

Post#17 » by humanrefutation » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:30 pm

There's no way I'm sitting in the cold for hours on end to watch the NFL Draft. And if they're going to host it in a conference facility connected to the stadium, why even bother to do it in Green Bay?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#18 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:10 pm

My son went Thursday night. He had tickets so he was inside. Small place. Thousands watched outside in crappy weather. They had a lot of stuff going on all day Thursday. Free player autographs, VR stuff, etc.. He said he had a great time. It's something I'd love to do once. Moving it around to different cities is a good idea IMO. Green Bay will never have a Super Bowl so throw them a bone and have the draft there as they celebrate 100 years of football. If going to a draft doesn't interest you, that's cool, I can understand the reasons. But it does interest a lot of people.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,223

Post#19 » by HKPackFan » Mon May 2, 2016 8:11 am

It's not just a draft. They have a bunch of family friendly activities. I remember for the superbowl week they had a kick a field goal activity. Run an obstacle course. Run a 40. All sort of fun activities. I'm pretty sure they do similar stuff at the draft. It's like an NFL fair.
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Green Bay Packers